Aldeer.com

Weekend Grilling - backstrap edition

Posted By: GomerPyle

Weekend Grilling - backstrap edition - 06/11/18 01:30 PM

Sometimes, the best meal is the simplest........did this the way I mentioned in the other backstrap thread: both brushed with EVOO. 1 simply had kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper. The other one was lightly dusted with Montreal steak rub (I've decided, however, that I prefer the salt/pepper over the rub, so that's how I'll be doing it in the future.)

I did not marinate this in anything or do anything else fancy with it. Simply thawed it out, patted it dry and then prepped it with the above. Absolutely incredible. Tender, juicy, great flavor. Anyone who thinks venison is "tough" or "gamey" has been eating venison that is either overcooked or improperly butchered......or both.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: abolt300

Re: Weekend Grilling - backstrap edition - 06/11/18 03:40 PM

That's about as perfectly cooked as you can do a backstrap IMO.

Re: Weekend Grilling - backstrap edition - 06/11/18 03:45 PM

Also, as an aside.....................if you don't have one of these knives with the replaceable razor blades, you're doing yourself a disservice. I went with the Outdoor Edge instead of the Havalon, just because the blades are slightly more substantial. I bought it for cleaning/dressing game, but I use it a lot in the kitchen too and man it's awesome. Best $15 I've spent in a long time.
Posted By: Irishguy

Re: Weekend Grilling - backstrap edition - 06/11/18 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by GomerPyle

Also, as an aside.....................if you don't have one of these knives with the replaceable razor blades, you're doing yourself a disservice. I went with the Outdoor Edge instead of the Havalon, just because the blades are slightly more substantial. I bought it for cleaning/dressing game, but I use it a lot in the kitchen too and man it's awesome. Best $15 I've spent in a long time.

I was going to say... "You don't have a kitchen knife?" grin

Looks good man!

Re: Weekend Grilling - backstrap edition - 06/11/18 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Irishguy
Originally Posted by GomerPyle

I was going to say... "You don't have a kitchen knife?" grin

Looks good man!

Heck, MrsGomer has some fancy, high-dollar super kungfu kitchen knife, but I like this one better. I can finesse it better.
Posted By: hunter84

Re: Weekend Grilling - backstrap edition - 06/11/18 09:17 PM

Looks great, perfectly done.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Weekend Grilling - backstrap edition - 06/11/18 10:45 PM

thumbup
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Weekend Grilling - backstrap edition - 06/12/18 12:57 AM

That looks really good thumbup
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Weekend Grilling - backstrap edition - 06/14/18 05:11 AM

Did you age it gomer? Aging the backstrap at least 10 days makes it to where you wont need that knofe just cut ot with a fork. I ambeith you on the salt and pepper being the best!

Re: Weekend Grilling - backstrap edition - 06/14/18 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ben2
Did you age it gomer? Aging the backstrap at least 10 days makes it to where you wont need that knofe just cut ot with a fork. I ambeith you on the salt and pepper being the best!

I did not age it. Thawed it out, pat dry, brushed with EVOO, salt/pepper > good, hot grill.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM