Aldeer.com

Any exotic wild game eaters out there.

Posted By: TickaTicka

Any exotic wild game eaters out there. - 06/09/18 11:52 PM

The backstrap thread got me wondering.....

What is the most exotic/nontraditional wild game/meat you've ever eaten? (keep it clean)

For me, most exotic was either bighorn sheep or mountain lion sausage. Both were amazing.
Posted By: blade

Re: Any exotic wild game eaters out there. - 06/10/18 01:57 AM

Axis deer is the best “wild game” I’ve had.

Re: Any exotic wild game eaters out there. - 06/10/18 02:00 AM

Never had axis. Heard it's spectacular.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Any exotic wild game eaters out there. - 06/10/18 02:16 AM

Rattlesnake, bobcat "backstrap" medallions. Turtle's probably non-traditional for some but if prepped and cooked correctly it's tasty.

All the regular stuff: bear, deer, wild pig, moose, elk, antelope, small game. The bear was good. Lot of folks don't like it because it can be greasy or taste weird depending on their forage, but this was good.

Axis is supposed to be fantastic. Never have had it.
Posted By: blade

Re: Any exotic wild game eaters out there. - 06/10/18 02:34 AM

I’ve had turtle too, was pretty good. I’d like to try bear and moose.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Any exotic wild game eaters out there. - 06/10/18 02:37 PM

Bear is really good, Buffalo, elk, antelope, kangaroo, stingray, rattlesnake, moose, goat, lamb, ground hog, raccoon, I'm sure I forgot a few.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Any exotic wild game eaters out there. - 06/10/18 02:57 PM

Axis is the best, I have eaten a lot of it over the years. Big ol backstrap cooked rare over the coals, lightly seasoned, is the way to go.

Buffalo is really good, as is elk and red deer.

Bear is give to yer inlaws meat.
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Any exotic wild game eaters out there. - 06/10/18 08:17 PM

Kangaroo, ostrich, & emu are all fantastic. Iguana wasn't bad once you got past what exactly you were eating.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Any exotic wild game eaters out there. - 06/10/18 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by BCLC
Kangaroo, ostrich, & emu are all fantastic. Iguana wasn't bad once you got past what exactly you were eating.

I'd like to go to south Florida and hunt/eat them. Thinking of a bowhunting trip this late summer perhaps combined with iguana. Also looking at a bear hunt or two.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Any exotic wild game eaters out there. - 06/10/18 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by BhamFred
Bear is give to yer inlaws meat.

Nah, you must have never had some fixed really well. Ol boys from the TN mountains that come hunt with us make it outstanding, even the women love it. Never would guess it was bear. The stuff I've had out west is the bad stuff when they cook it like a steak. IMHO
Posted By: Stob

Re: Any exotic wild game eaters out there. - 06/10/18 11:39 PM

I killed a Gemsbok on the White Sands Missile Range in NM back in 2011.
It was very good but a really mild flavor. Not nearly as good as Whitetail IMO.

Had Buffalo in Idaho, tasted just like Beef.

Re: Any exotic wild game eaters out there. - 06/11/18 12:48 AM

Bear is so animal dependent. I've never killed one but have eaten meat from 3 different bears. 2 of them have been really good. The 3rd should of been made into sausage only.

Snow goose gets a bad rap too, I've had some Applewood smoked SG that was out of this world. I've got 8 to smoke in the freezer.
Posted By: James

Re: Any exotic wild game eaters out there. - 06/11/18 06:26 AM

I'd like to try some Axis
Posted By: lefthorn

Re: Any exotic wild game eaters out there. - 06/14/18 03:21 AM

Beaver. It was excellent. Racoon, not so much but my father in law said it wasn’t done right, lol
Posted By: BPI

Re: Any exotic wild game eaters out there. - 06/14/18 04:56 PM

I've had Amazon River turtle soup. Was count. Also anteater, was not count.
Posted By: 3toe

Re: Any exotic wild game eaters out there. - 06/14/18 08:57 PM

The most exotic I've had is probably whatever it was on the Chinese buffet.
Posted By: BPI

Re: Any exotic wild game eaters out there. - 06/14/18 09:42 PM

That would be cat.
Posted By: James

Re: Any exotic wild game eaters out there. - 06/14/18 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by BPI
That would be cat.

Taste like chicken
Posted By: JohnnyLoco

Re: Any exotic wild game eaters out there. - 06/15/18 12:46 AM

I’ve ate almost every critter, and many insects, fish, including funky plants and woodpecker, it really comes down to the cook.

Re: Any exotic wild game eaters out there. - 06/18/18 12:22 PM

Good stuff.

I was reminded of a wild game dinner I went to near Lake Catahoula in Louisiana. Old boy had some crock pot of deliciousness. He claimed it was muskrat. It may of been.
Posted By: Big Game Hunter

Re: Any exotic wild game eaters out there. - 06/18/18 07:49 PM

I shot a Dall Sheep in 2012 in the Brooks Range in Alaska. We got stranded for 9 days on that hunt due to weather. The first few days on the "camping" trip the sheep was fantastic. After we ate it three meals a day with a little caribou meat here and there that we also shot on that hunt, I got REAL tired of sheep. Caribou is very good but it gets old quickly.

Axis is the best venison I've had in North America that is somewhat readily available.

I've eaten Himalayan Tahr and Alpine Chamois plus red deer on a hunt in New Zealand. The deer was good, the chamois was fantastic and the tahr was down right awful.

I've eaten brown, grizzly and black bear. The grizzly was moderately edible due to its 90% berry diet. All other bear that I have eaten were horrible at best.

In Africa, I've eaten most of the normal game critters found there. They are all good but some are better than others. We ate my leopard back straps and I'd say that was the most EXPENSIVE meal I've ever eaten. Eland, springbok, and Klipspringer are some of the best I've had.

All that being said, the absolute best game meat I've ever eaten was giraffe. We have shot three over the years on safaris and we've had it each time and it is fantastic. It's better than Kobe beef in my opinion. It's kinda hard to come by though.
Posted By: deerman24

Re: Any exotic wild game eaters out there. - 06/18/18 10:26 PM

chicken
© 2024 ALDEER.COM