Aldeer.com

Buttermilk Hockey Puck Biscuits

Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Buttermilk Hockey Puck Biscuits - 04/18/18 01:58 PM

[Linked Image]

a moral victory was achieved as i didn’t burn the damn things ... but i bet i could sling ‘em 300 yards & skip them 4-5 times on a flat pond surface 😂🤣🤪🤷🏻‍♂️

back to the drawing board tonite ... pretty sure i’ve figured out where i went wrong ...
Posted By: huntbig

Re: Buttermilk Hockey Puck Biscuits - 04/18/18 02:26 PM

rofl I'll be interested to see the end result..

Re: Buttermilk Hockey Puck Biscuits - 04/18/18 03:43 PM

oh ya i ain’t quittin’ ...
Posted By: snakebit

Re: Buttermilk Hockey Puck Biscuits - 04/18/18 04:28 PM

Too much mixin'

Re: Buttermilk Hockey Puck Biscuits - 04/18/18 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by snakebit
Too much mixin'

yup!! this aint yeast dough ... rd 2 this afternoon!
Posted By: dsmc

Re: Buttermilk Hockey Puck Biscuits - 04/18/18 06:52 PM

Hi BGD, try my recipe: 2 cups White Lily Red label, unbleached, flour
1/4 cup lard and buttermilk.
Cut the lard in with a fork real good. Add just enough buttermilk to get everything wet.
Mix well and pour onto a floured surface. Sift flour on top and roll or pat out and cut out.
Don’t over work! Bake @ 400 until they are as brown as you like. When they start to turn
brown brown brush with melted butter.

Re: Buttermilk Hockey Puck Biscuits - 04/18/18 07:56 PM

10-4 i think my whole problem was over-working the dough ... gonna try not to do that tonite 👍🏻
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Buttermilk Hockey Puck Biscuits - 04/18/18 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by dsmc
Hi BGD, try my recipe: 2 cups White Lily Red label, unbleached, flour
1/4 cup lard and buttermilk.
Cut the lard in with a fork real good. Add just enough buttermilk to get everything wet.
Mix well and pour onto a floured surface. Sift flour on top and roll or pat out and cut out.
Don’t over work! Bake @ 400 until they are as brown as you like. When they start to turn
brown brown brush with melted butter.

No baking powder?
Posted By: Damyankee

Re: Buttermilk Hockey Puck Biscuits - 04/18/18 08:36 PM

Maybe you could work out a deal with the NHL. grin Seriously, they make these tubes that you whack on the side of the counter... whistle

Re: Buttermilk Hockey Puck Biscuits - 04/18/18 09:57 PM

No sir.....it’s self rising flour😁

Re: Buttermilk Hockey Puck Biscuits - 04/19/18 12:11 AM

WELP ... round #2 is in the books & my trainer is shoving smelling salts up my nose & rubbing my neck — UTTER FREAKIN’ DISASTER again 😩😩😡😡😱😱 y’all aint even seeing a pic of this trainwreck ... damn

Re: Buttermilk Hockey Puck Biscuits - 04/19/18 12:31 AM

Well dangit.......what happened?

Re: Buttermilk Hockey Puck Biscuits - 04/19/18 01:11 PM

i can’t get the dough to come out right ... i’m thinking not enough buttermilk ... gonna try it again tonite ...
Posted By: mcninja

Re: Buttermilk Hockey Puck Biscuits - 04/19/18 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Damyankee
Seriously, they make these tubes that you whack on the side of the counter... whistle

Re: Buttermilk Hockey Puck Biscuits - 04/19/18 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by mcninja
Seriously, they make these tubes that you whack on the side of the counter... whistle

It's not about convenience here. It's a tough skill to do and quite an accomplishment to learn.
Posted By: trlrdrdave

Re: Buttermilk Hockey Puck Biscuits - 04/19/18 07:54 PM

For the less cultured among us^^^

Re: Buttermilk Hockey Puck Biscuits - 04/19/18 08:23 PM

LOL welp tonite is ROUND THREE & i agree with snakebit, it is a process & a skill development exercise ... my daughter reminded ME of what i always tell her — SUCK before success

BTW i am attempting the Southern Living “perfect buttermilk biscuit” recipe/formula ... i am failing at the dough stage; if i can leap that hurdle, i am convinced great biscuits will be made

https://www.southernliving.com/food/how-to/perfect-buttermilk-biscuit-video

Re: Buttermilk Hockey Puck Biscuits - 04/19/18 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by snakebit
Originally Posted by mcninja

It's not about convenience here. It's a tough skill to do and quite an accomplishment to learn.

And I'm sure they'll be killer when BGD gets them figured out. I'm just having a little fun cause I know how seriously y'all take your biscuits. smile The ones out of the tube pretty much suck. Grands aren't bad, but that's about it.

Re: Buttermilk Hockey Puck Biscuits - 04/19/18 10:33 PM

Damyankee, if you’re gonna “cheat” by a bag of the buttermilk Mary B’s frozen biscuits

Re: Buttermilk Hockey Puck Biscuits - 04/19/18 11:22 PM

That looks like a great recipe. I’ll be trying it next biscuit cook.
You got this, be sure to post pics.
Posted By: M48scout

Re: Buttermilk Hockey Puck Biscuits - 04/19/18 11:43 PM

Sift the flour and other dry ingredients well before liquid and fat. Really need to get you an old woman to show you how to cut the fat into the flour and roll the dough out right. I used to could make pretty good biscuits when I was younger, but I'm way out of practice. From what I remember keep the bowl, flour and lard/Crisco/whatever cold before, and while, you cut it in. I used one of those wood handled wire loop pie dough things to cut the fat into the flour. After adding liquid, barely mix it ,and compress all those little bits and liquid together and just BARELY kneed it enough to where you consolidate it. Gently roll the dough out, and minimize the times your roll it out again. I think it matters what you use to cut the individual biscuits with as well. If you use a dull edge like the top of a tea glass it compresses the edges where it doesn't rise right. I think you want to use a sharper edge like a actual biscuit cutter or a soup can/etc. This way its a clean cut and it rises as much as possible.

Good luck with it, you'll get it. Dang, I want a biscuit now.

Re: Buttermilk Hockey Puck Biscuits - 04/20/18 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by BamaGuitarDude
Damyankee, if you’re gonna “cheat” by a bag of the buttermilk Mary B’s frozen biscuits

Thanks man, will do. Honest question, how do Bisquick biscuits rate with you guys? I've had them, a few times, and thought they were pretty good.
Posted By: trlrdrdave

Re: Buttermilk Hockey Puck Biscuits - 04/20/18 12:47 AM

They'll do in a pinch!

Re: Buttermilk Hockey Puck Biscuits - 04/20/18 01:07 AM

[Linked Image]

well guys ... i did it!!! i’m using my iPhone so not sure the pic’ll come thru but i got em this time ... had to use 1/4 cup more buttermilk than what they called for ...

Re: Buttermilk Hockey Puck Biscuits - 04/20/18 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by trlrdrdave
They'll do in a pinch!

They sure soak up some gravy. Nice job BGD! I never had a doubt. smile

Re: Buttermilk Hockey Puck Biscuits - 04/20/18 02:11 AM

Good job!
I had evidence in you the whole time.....lol
Posted By: M48scout

Re: Buttermilk Hockey Puck Biscuits - 04/20/18 02:19 AM

Those look real good!

Re: Buttermilk Hockey Puck Biscuits - 04/20/18 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by M48scout
Sift the flour and other dry ingredients well before liquid and fat. Really need to get you an old woman to show you how to cut the fat into the flour and roll the dough out right. I used to could make pretty good biscuits when I was younger, but I'm way out of practice. From what I remember keep the bowl, flour and lard/Crisco/whatever cold before, and while, you cut it in. I used one of those wood handled wire loop pie dough things to cut the fat into the flour. After adding liquid, barely mix it ,and compress all those little bits and liquid together and just BARELY kneed it enough to where you consolidate it. Gently roll the dough out, and minimize the times your roll it out again. I think it matters what you use to cut the individual biscuits with as well. If you use a dull edge like the top of a tea glass it compresses the edges where it doesn't rise right. I think you want to use a sharper edge like a actual biscuit cutter or a soup can/etc. This way its a clean cut and it rises as much as possible.

Good luck with it, you'll get it. Dang, I want a biscuit now.

yup, you nailed it!!!! biscuits IMO are a CRAP TON harder to make than yeast dough (like for pizza's) ... yeast dough you can rough house ... biscuit dough - not so much ...
Posted By: huntbig

Re: Buttermilk Hockey Puck Biscuits - 04/20/18 03:42 PM

those look fine!!

Re: Buttermilk Hockey Puck Biscuits - 04/20/18 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by huntbig
those look fine!!

thx, they turned out great 👍🏻
Posted By: Tigger85

Re: Buttermilk Hockey Puck Biscuits - 04/21/18 03:06 AM

Buy Martha White self rising flour and follow directions on the side of the package. It's that simple.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Buttermilk Hockey Puck Biscuits - 04/22/18 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by BamaGuitarDude
had to use 1/4 cup more buttermilk than what they called for ...

There's your problem. Mainly that you're measuring the buttermilk, but biscuit dough has to be wet. Now that you successfully made some, you know what consistency the dough needs to be. Quit all that measuring. Cornbread and biscuits should never require a measuring cup.
Posted By: inatree

Re: Buttermilk Hockey Puck Biscuits - 04/22/18 06:23 PM

What FurFyin said.

Re: Buttermilk Hockey Puck Biscuits - 04/23/18 06:11 PM

Now you just have to repeat it (every time)
They look good!
Posted By: AlabamaHuntress

Re: Buttermilk Hockey Puck Biscuits - 04/23/18 08:55 PM

This post makes me want tomato gravy and biscuits for supper.

Re: Buttermilk Hockey Puck Biscuits - 04/24/18 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by AlabamaHuntress
This post makes me want tomato gravy and biscuits for supper.

yup!! gettin’ the hang of this now; made these last nite

[Linked Image]
Posted By: judge sharpe

Re: Buttermilk Hockey Puck Biscuits - 05/13/18 09:59 PM

If you use buttermilk, remember to use both baking powder and baking powder. They are different and the acid in buttermilk needs the soda for the power to make enough gas (co2) to rise properly.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM