Aldeer.com

Burgers on the Kamado and Fries in Beef Fat...

Posted By: Irishguy

Burgers on the Kamado and Fries in Beef Fat... - 10/12/17 05:56 AM

Well... I went by Walmart on the way home and lo and behold they had beef fat in big ol' tubs. And not one to be deterred by pesky cholesterol I nabbed a couple of the smaller ones.

The genesis of this experiment was that I listened to a pod cast the other day about McDonalds French fries in the pre-do-gooder days. I can remember going in the McDonalds in Roebuck and buying me an egg Mcmuffin and watching a guy in the back spear fresh potatoes and stick them in a French fry splitter and pulling the lever down on each one of them big Idaho potatoes. They would keep them in water until lunch and dinner and then fry them in a mixture of beef lard and peanut oil and if you remember they were some of the best fries you could eat.

About 1990 all that changed and a bunch of do-gooders set out to save the world from the evil McDonalds and shamed them into changing their recipe to some kind of unholy blend of semi-toxic oils that when heated turn into all kinds of crazy aldehydes, but you will get no science lesson from me today only some of the best burgers and fries you missed by not eating at the Irish's house last night.

Start by seasoning about 2 pounds of organic grass fed beef. No I'm not making meatloaf there is a reason for everyone of those ingredients, including the fish sauce and brown sugar. We've been working on this recipe for over a year.

After I get it all mixed up and I press them out between two pieces of wax paper. They look thin now, but they will shrink up and pull together, plus I have some nice buns from the bakery and I want them to fit the bun.

While all that is going on get you one of them little Tubs O'Lard and invert it in Granny's old cast iron skillet and put a fire to it.

When that baby is pushing about 400 degrees carefully load that baby up with our scrubbed and julienned taters.

Yes my friends... Golden tater goodness!

About this time if you got the Kamado started a while back it should be well past the 400 degree stage itself and the burgers only need about 5 minutes per side. When you pull them off the brown sugar has helped give them a nice bite of a crust on the outside...

I like mine with the cheese melted, Lettuce, tomato, onion, mustard and some smoked, garlic mayo that Mrs. Irish whips up. Serve it all on a buttered bun toasted on the cast iron griddle.

The only problem is that when I went in the kitchen to get my coffee this morning is smells like an old diner in there. If I'm going to keep doing this, I may have to get me a burner outside to do the frying. grin
Posted By: HOWTON21

Re: Burgers on the Kamado and Fries in Beef Fat... - 10/12/17 06:45 AM

Man, that looks fine. You mind sharing your seasoning ingredients?

Re: Burgers on the Kamado and Fries in Beef Fat... - 10/12/17 08:23 AM

Originally Posted By: HOWTON21
Man, that looks fine. You mind sharing your seasoning ingredients?

2 pounds organic grass fed beef
1 tsp Sea salt
1 tsp Pepper
1 tsp Garlic powder
1/2 tsp Onion powder
1 tsp Chili powder
1/2 tsp Red pepper flakes
1 tbsp Brown Sugar
1 tsp Fish sauce
1 tbsp Parsley flakes
1/3 cup Panko bread crumbs
1 egg

Mix up everything really well. I know in the picture I put everything in little piles, but if you sprinkle it all on there it mixes up better.

The egg and Panko crumbs help retain all the juices, and the brown sugar helps give the burgers a nice grill crustiness on the outside. Plus the sugar balances out the fish sauce and gives the burgers this savory, deep, rich flavor.

If these are too savory, you might want to tinker with the quantities of the ingredients. We didn't add the fish sauce to the recipe until this year, but for us it was an essential last ingredient and really sets the burgers apart and in the words of the Japanese gives them a distinct umami flavor.
Posted By: biglmbass

Re: Burgers on the Kamado and Fries in Beef Fat... - 10/12/17 09:05 AM

Looks great. Was just telling the GF the other day that I wanted some hand made burgers soon. We've been using the frozen Bubba burgers for ages.
Posted By: hallb

Re: Burgers on the Kamado and Fries in Beef Fat... - 10/12/17 12:45 PM

Originally Posted By: biglmbass
Looks great. Was just telling the GF the other day that I wanted some hand made burgers soon. We've been using the frozen Bubba burgers for ages.

What!! Bubba burgers are only allowed for feeding large crowds, hand patty'ed burgers is the only way to go at home.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Burgers on the Kamado and Fries in Beef Fat... - 10/12/17 01:14 PM

My goodness that looks tasty
Posted By: Geno

Re: Burgers on the Kamado and Fries in Beef Fat... - 10/12/17 01:17 PM

Dang that looks good. I'm trying the burger recipe - thanks for that!
Posted By: Zkd22

Re: Burgers on the Kamado and Fries in Beef Fat... - 10/12/17 01:27 PM

So why the organic, grass fed? Just curious
Posted By: Papagator

Re: Burgers on the Kamado and Fries in Beef Fat... - 10/12/17 05:27 PM

I know what im having tonight!!!

Re: Burgers on the Kamado and Fries in Beef Fat... - 10/12/17 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Zkd22

Mrs. Irish buys it and I am married to her. And she takes care me... If you know what I mean. grin

Seriously... The grass fed beef taste better to all of us. A little more rich, earthy flavor than beef that is grain fed.

Of course once you put in all the seasonings in it it really don't matter.

Sometimes I just make the patties with the raw beef (don't use this recipe) and sprinkle each side with my homemade steak seasoning. Those are good burgers too.

Irish Jr. Helped me with this recipe, so it's kind of a father and son thing. He calls the recipe "Dank Burgers." grin
Posted By: willdo22

Re: Burgers on the Kamado and Fries in Beef Fat... - 10/12/17 07:49 PM

Very nice!
Posted By: Zkd22

Re: Burgers on the Kamado and Fries in Beef Fat... - 10/12/17 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Irishguy
Originally Posted By: Zkd22

Mrs. Irish buys it and I am married to her. And she takes care me... If you know what I mean. grin

Seriously... The grass fed beef taste better to all of us. A little more rich, earthy flavor than beef that is grain fed.

Of course once you put in all the seasonings in it it really don't matter.

Sometimes I just make the patties with the raw beef (don't use this recipe) and sprinkle each side with my homemade steak seasoning. Those are good burgers too.

Irish Jr. Helped me with this recipe, so it's kind of a father and son thing. He calls the recipe "Dank Burgers." grin

I hear ya. I'm going to give them a try this weekend thumbup
Posted By: tbest3

Re: Burgers on the Kamado and Fries in Beef Fat... - 10/12/17 10:07 PM

Dang it, I'm hungry again now.
Posted By: TickaTicka

Re: Burgers on the Kamado and Fries in Beef Fat... - 10/13/17 06:44 AM

Irish- your commitment to the homemade is to be commended. Not many know how or go to the trouble any more.
Posted By: Geno

Re: Burgers on the Kamado and Fries in Beef Fat... - 10/13/17 08:50 AM

I'm just the opposite on the grass fed beef. It doesn't taste as good to me as grain fed.
Posted By: James

Re: Burgers on the Kamado and Fries in Beef Fat... - 10/13/17 09:42 AM

Nice!

Re: Burgers on the Kamado and Fries in Beef Fat... - 10/14/17 06:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Geno
I'm just the opposite on the grass fed beef. It doesn't taste as good to me as grain fed.

I completely understand. It took me a long time to appreciate lamb and goat cheese. Both have sort of a barnyard flavor to them. The organic grass feed beef has more of that flavor too, but not as strong.

Plus Mrs. Irish says that God intended cows to eat grass not corn. Corn was meant for her Cherokee ancestors to eat. grin

Omega 3's are usually about 50% higher for grass fed beef. Still, beef is so low in Omega 3's to start with even with grass fed beef it's not going to be like eating salmon.

Here's a nice unbiased article with some insight from Temple Grandin on the subject.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle...m=.7709e706dd8d
Posted By: biglmbass

Re: Burgers on the Kamado and Fries in Beef Fat... - 10/17/17 09:17 AM

Tried the burgers (minus the fish sauce) on Sunday. They were a hit. Appreciate the recipe.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM