Aldeer.com

You can't make some stuff up!

Posted By: inatree

You can't make some stuff up! - 07/02/17 09:21 PM

I just had to post this cause I thought it was funny. Fox news anchor just said " If you are going to use a charcoal grill this weekend don't use gas to light it because it's very explosive." Got to wonder what they were thinking.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: You can't make some stuff up! - 07/05/17 11:22 AM

Originally Posted By: inatree
I just had to post this cause I thought it was funny. Fox news anchor just said " If you are going to use a charcoal grill this weekend don't use gas to light it because it's very explosive." Got to wonder what they were thinking.

I assume they meant gasoline.....which, believe it or not, some idots will use to start a charcoal gril...
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: You can't make some stuff up! - 07/09/17 11:06 AM

All flammables can be bad. Last year I bought a butt from a cafe here. You couldn't eat it. The flavor of the charcoal lighter was too strong, it's very important that you don't use too much and allow it ALL to burn off before placing meat on the grill. Ever experienced this? Actually over two years ago.

Re: You can't make some stuff up! - 07/09/17 05:09 PM

Agree you have to let the fluid burn completely off or the food is going to taste horrible. Even the instant light junk you have to let burn off.
Posted By: James

Re: You can't make some stuff up! - 07/09/17 11:32 PM

No need for fluid. I just stick my on the side burner of my grill, and if i'm at camp then i use paper
Posted By: jmudler

Re: You can't make some stuff up! - 07/17/17 10:37 AM

Originally Posted By: James

No need for fluid. I just stick my on the side burner of my grill, and if i'm at camp then i use paper

You sir are a genius. Thanks for the tip.
Posted By: cullmanbamafan

Re: You can't make some stuff up! - 07/17/17 02:23 PM

I've been using one of those for probably 10 years now and it definitely makes a difference. Get an electric lighting stick with it if you need an easy way to light it and you don't have propane or similar to use. Splurge for the Weber one instead of the walmart one. Last much longer.

Re: You can't make some stuff up! - 07/17/17 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: jmudler

You sir are a genius. Thanks for the tip.
Works great. I hold my starter by the handle (only takes a minute or so to light) because it doesn't sit level on my burner, when the coals are ignited i just set off to the side, and let them do their thing..

Re: You can't make some stuff up! - 07/17/17 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: cullmanbamafan

I've been using one of those for probably 10 years now and it definitely makes a difference. Get an electric lighting stick with it if you need an easy way to light it and you don't have propane or similar to use. Splurge for the Weber one instead of the walmart one. Last much longer.
Definitely a difference in quality...
Posted By: Sab

Re: You can't make some stuff up! - 07/23/17 08:38 PM

I bought my first one this year I love it
Posted By: JDR4Bama

Re: You can't make some stuff up! - 08/02/17 07:41 PM

I picked up a looftlighter (sp?) for my BGE. It is like a hairdryer on steroids and works pretty well.
Posted By: Dustin

Re: You can't make some stuff up! - 08/02/17 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: JDR4Bama
I picked up a looftlighter (sp?) for my BGE. It is like a hairdryer on steroids and works pretty well.

Heatgun works just as well and cost about $70 less.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: You can't make some stuff up! - 08/03/17 01:30 PM

Never had a problem with charcoal lighter fluid. It burns off within a few minutes. Never tasted it in any food. I have one of those cannister's, but never use it.
Posted By: trlrdrdave

Re: You can't make some stuff up! - 08/03/17 01:37 PM

Used vegetable oil is just as good and way cheaper.
Posted By: sumpter_al

Re: You can't make some stuff up! - 08/04/17 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Dustin
Originally Posted By: JDR4Bama

Heatgun works just as well and cost about $70 less.

I have used an old hairdryer that was my daughters. The heat element went out and she got a new one. Works well and was free.

I have also used a leaf blower at the camp a time or too. rofl
Posted By: Slim1026

Re: You can't make some stuff up! - 08/19/17 11:51 AM

These work great. I use a small screw on torch with the green camping propane bottles to light it.
Posted By: straycat

Re: You can't make some stuff up! - 08/30/17 01:54 PM

I light my chimney with a Weber cube fire starter....easy peasy and works everytime.
Posted By: TickaTicka

Re: You can't make some stuff up! - 08/30/17 09:10 PM

Like the chimney and use it often.

I had forgotten about one of our backcountry camping tricks and tried it the other night out of necessity on Charcoal and it worked well. Cotton ball dredged in Vaseline.

Re: You can't make some stuff up! - 08/30/17 09:15 PM

Never heard of that one. I will try to remember it.
Posted By: 3toe

Re: You can't make some stuff up! - 08/30/17 10:53 PM

I've been lighting with a $10 bottle of Mapp gas for over a year. I don't think it will ever run out.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM