Aldeer.com

Low Carb Pizza...surprisingly delicious!

Posted By: straycat

Low Carb Pizza...surprisingly delicious! - 06/20/17 09:15 PM

My wife was making her fabulous homemade calzones for the boys tonight. I wanted pizza type food too, but trying not to eat lots of bread. So what to do?

Off the cuff...started playing around with a crustless version of pizza.

Lightly grease a pizza pan
Slice garden fresh tomatoes and line pan
Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with Italian seasonings, and top each slice with fresh basil from herb garden.
Next add a layer of pepperoni or turkey pepperoni
Next add a layer of browned and seasoned ground beef
Spoon on layer of pizza sauce
Top with mozzarella and fresh parmesan cheeses
Bake @ 400 for 15 minutes or until cheese is bubbling
Broil on high to lightly brown top

Slice like a pizza and eat with a fork. The fresh tomatoes really make a great base for this dish. Love to experiment with different ideas. Was really good and totally satisfied that pizza craving!

Enjoy!
Posted By: mcninja

Re: Low Carb Pizza...surprisingly delicious! - 06/20/17 09:57 PM

That looks really good.
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Low Carb Pizza...surprisingly delicious! - 06/21/17 07:11 AM

stray, when I went on a low carb diet a few years ago, I would make low carb pizza, but I made it with a cheese crust. If you spray a non-stick pan and cover the bottom with shredded cheese, you can melt it on low heat and it'll form a crust of cheese. Cover with your favorite toppings and it's dang good.

Re: Low Carb Pizza...surprisingly delicious! - 06/21/17 10:38 AM

I've done that too, but I had a slew of tomatoes on the counter. grin

Going to try mashed up cauliflower next. Steam, then mash up well, season, add butter and a little egg or cheese to hold it together. Fry up in a skillet, flip. Then build your pizza in the oven proof skillet and bake.
Posted By: jono23

Re: Low Carb Pizza...surprisingly delicious! - 06/21/17 11:02 AM

Originally Posted By: straycat
I've done that too, but I had a slew of tomatoes on the counter. grin

Going to try mashed up cauliflower next. Steam, then mash up well, season, add butter and a little egg or cheese to hold it together. Fry up in a skillet, flip. Then build your pizza in the oven proof skillet and bake.

My mom has done the cauliflower crust. It wasn't as good as normal pizza, but I don't think anyone was expecting it to be. It was still delicious and way healthier.
Posted By: blade

Re: Low Carb Pizza...surprisingly delicious! - 06/21/17 11:10 AM

I believe I would like that.

Re: Low Carb Pizza...surprisingly delicious! - 06/21/17 12:04 PM

Once I get down tot he weight I want (another 25-30 pounds at least), that is when the real work will begin: Trying to find a balance of eating regular food, with increased healthy choices, with portion control and exercise.

I don't mind having pasta, pizza and white bread...really good stuff taste wise. I just don't need to eat an entire pizza or 3 plates of spaghetti or lots of bread each week. That's the lifestyle change and not a diet that I'll have to figure out.

Re: Low Carb Pizza...surprisingly delicious! - 06/21/17 12:30 PM

My mom has also had pizza that was made with chicken for the crust. Thought that was weird but it tasted great.
Posted By: tbest3

Re: Low Carb Pizza...surprisingly delicious! - 06/21/17 10:21 PM

Originally Posted By: mcninja
That looks really good.
Posted By: TickaTicka

Re: Low Carb Pizza...surprisingly delicious! - 06/22/17 07:38 AM

Looks great.

Re: Low Carb Pizza...surprisingly delicious! - 06/22/17 03:10 PM

Originally Posted By: jono23
My mom has also had pizza that was made with chicken for the crust. Thought that was weird but it tasted great.

I could see that. Pound a chicken breast or two thin and pan fry it in olive oil/butter...use as a crust.
Posted By: bama1157

Re: Low Carb Pizza...surprisingly delicious! - 07/11/17 09:55 AM

I saw a recipe the other day that uses bell peppers cut in half for the crust, they made them as single's, looked really good.
Posted By: willdo22

Re: Low Carb Pizza...surprisingly delicious! - 07/12/17 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By: mcninja
That looks really good.
Posted By: James

Re: Low Carb Pizza...surprisingly delicious! - 07/13/17 05:17 AM

Looks good. Me and my son ate pizza last week, one half was BBQ chicken the other had 2 types of mushrooms, several different cheeses, White & green onions, and drizzled with olive oil. Only left over pizza we had was the chicken lol. That mushroom pizza was dang good..
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Low Carb Pizza...surprisingly delicious! - 07/14/17 09:29 AM

I could see that. Pound a chicken breast or two thin and pan fry it in olive oil/butter...use as a crust.

Honest question (I don't know the answer)- y'all think replacing bread with meat is actually healthier?
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Low Carb Pizza...surprisingly delicious! - 07/14/17 01:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Remington270

Honest question (I don't know the answer)- y'all think replacing bread with meat is actually healthier?

On a low carb diet, it's the goal.

Re: Low Carb Pizza...surprisingly delicious! - 07/14/17 06:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Remington270

I think its also important to note that the pizza with chicken as the "crust" was smaller than a normal personal sized pizza.

But yeah, as SBS said, in a low carb diet it is better. As a type 1 diabetic, it's better than having a ton of carbs.
Posted By: Rondel

Re: Low Carb Pizza...surprisingly delicious! - 08/29/17 04:08 AM

Looks tasty! Will try your recipe next time.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM