Aldeer.com

Steak on charcoal grill

Posted By: Southwood7

Steak on charcoal grill - 05/12/17 12:07 PM

The wife wants ribeyes and twice baked potatoes for Mother's Day. What do you rub your steaks with, any marinades... etc...Post up your sure fire recipe for 1" thick ribeyes cooked to medium rare and twice baked potatoes.
Posted By: mcninja

Re: Steak on charcoal grill - 05/12/17 12:15 PM

I like a bunch of different rubs and marinades but google "steak maui" by J. Alexander's Steakhouse. That's about as good as it gets....course the steak nazis on here will blast ya for anything other than a still mooing hunk of meat sprinkled with three grains each of salt and pepper. smile
Posted By: top cat

Re: Steak on charcoal grill - 05/12/17 12:17 PM

Kosher salt, fresh cracked black pepper, room temperature meat on a 500° grill 1 minute, half turn for X marks, turn over after second minute, repeat on other side, remove from grill and place I a foil tent with pat of sofened butter, leg sit for 5 minutes while you cix your salad and potayo. Enjoy
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Steak on charcoal grill - 05/12/17 12:20 PM

Originally Posted By: top cat
Kosher salt, fresh cracked black pepper, room temperature meat on a 500° grill 1 minute, half turn for X marks, turn over after second minute, repeat on other side, remove from grill and place I a foil tent with pat of sofened butter, leg sit for 5 minutes while you cix your salad and potayo. Enjoy

That about does it for the steak, except I like a little garlic on mine.

For twice baked potatoes, poke holes in them, microwave for 4-5 minutes or until a knife will go through the potatoes with a little resistance. Take out and cool, cut in half, scoop out potato insides, mix with a little milk, sour cream, cheese, and bacon bits. Put that mixture back into the potato skin. Then top with more cheese and green onions, and bake on 350 for about 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and inside is warm.
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: Steak on charcoal grill - 05/12/17 12:29 PM

Don't know where you are but Pepper Tree Steaks and Wines on Vaughn road in Montgomery has some dang good seasoning on their steaks. Also, Dirk's Filet and Vine in Old Cloverdale rubs his with "Dirk's Dirt" which is mighty fine too.

Dr. B
Posted By: Irishguy

Re: Steak on charcoal grill - 05/12/17 12:32 PM

Originally Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

For twice baked potatoes, poke holes in them, microwave for 4-5 minutes or until a knife will go through the potatoes with a little resistance. Take out and cool, cut in half, scoop out potato insides, mix with a little milk, sour cream, cheese, and bacon bits. Put that mixture back into the potato skin. Then top with more cheese and green onions, and bake on 350 for about 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and inside is warm.

Both of these suggestions sound about like what we do.

If you have a good Ribeye it doesn't need much in the way of a rub or fancy seasoning. I don't use butter on my Ribeyes, because they are usually fatty enough, but I always use butter on my Fillet Mignon to add fat to them.

Other than some specialty butcher shop, your best be for finding really good Ribeyes is Sam's Club. We have always got very good Ribeyes from there. Look for the most well marbled ones you can find. The one's at Sams are so big and thick, that we usually cut them in half before grilling. This makes two nice, thick, still rather large pieces of steak. The one's a Sams come 4 to a pack and usually is enough to feed 8 people.
Posted By: trlrdrdave

Re: Steak on charcoal grill - 05/12/17 01:10 PM

Dales for about 15 minutes. Throw on grill and sprinkle Montreal Steak seasoning.
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: Steak on charcoal grill - 05/12/17 01:57 PM

Run up to DJ's in Alabaster and get your steaks. Get them to season them. They also have twice baked potatoes that you can stick in the oven.

You're welcome. smile
Posted By: BobF

Re: Steak on charcoal grill - 05/12/17 02:59 PM

Plowboys Bovine is great on steaks...especially a reverse sear. I highly recommend doing a reverse sear if you can, you won't have a better steak.

All I put on those from the Tomahawk thread was 3 pepper blend from a grinder, garlic powder, kosher salt...did a reverse sear. http://www.aldeer.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2111239#Post2111239
Posted By: MattIce

Re: Steak on charcoal grill - 05/12/17 03:15 PM

X2
Posted By: jbc

Re: Steak on charcoal grill - 05/12/17 04:11 PM

Originally Posted By: bamaeyedoc
Don't know where you are but Pepper Tree Steaks and Wines on Vaughn road in Montgomery has some dang good seasoning on their steaks. Also, Dirk's Filet and Vine in Old Cloverdale rubs his with "Dirk's Dirt" which is mighty fine too.

Dr. B

The dirt always makes mine stick. I quit using it
Posted By: Maggie123

Re: Steak on charcoal grill - 05/12/17 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

All of the above...I too prefer a bit of garlic powder and while mine come to room temp, I dash a splash of Worcestershire on them with my spices. Also, I would wait to add the green onions to the TBP until after I took it out of the oven for the second heating. Chives work better in the oven for me but that is just my preference.

Good on ya for doing this for your wife.
Posted By: toothdoc

Re: Steak on charcoal grill - 05/14/17 12:02 PM

Kosher salt and then a dollop of butter just before you take it off the fire.
Posted By: johnv

Re: Steak on charcoal grill - 05/14/17 01:58 PM

I like kosher salt, black pepper and olive oil. Every once in a while I throw a splash of allegro on it.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Steak on charcoal grill - 05/14/17 04:27 PM

Pilleteries, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder cook til medium. Best steak you will have imo

Re: Steak on charcoal grill - 05/14/17 09:22 PM

Well, we were out to late car shopping on Saturday so we went to Texas Roadhouse and let them cook the steaks.
Posted By: snakebit

Re: Steak on charcoal grill - 05/15/17 07:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Southwood7
Well, we were out to late car shopping on Saturday so we went to Texas Roadhouse and let them cook the steaks.

Lame.

All you need is coarse salt, coarse pepper, and some sureshot sids gunpowder.
Season room temp meat and throw it on hot fire.
Cook to just under desired and let rest for about 5-10 minutes.
Eat.

I like a bacon tart if you are doing potatoes.
Posted By: bama1157

Re: Steak on charcoal grill - 05/17/17 08:26 AM

Like Irish said if you have good meat it does not take much seasoning, I will not marinate a good steak at all, by good I don't mean what you buy at the pig or Win-Dixie, when I buy those I use dales, Worcestershire, and garlic powder, when i have a good steak I use salt, cracked pepper, and garlic powder and maybe some thyme..

I always use the real wood charcoal when cooking steaks, this gives you the hottest fire you can get on a regular grill, a steak is supposed to be cooked fast...

Re: Steak on charcoal grill - 05/19/17 12:25 PM

Originally Posted By: snakebit

Lame.

You're lame grin I love grilling we just didn't have time Saturday night and the wife still had a good time.
Posted By: woodduck

Re: Steak on charcoal grill - 05/21/17 12:04 PM

Dales and Montreal seasoning hard to beat
Posted By: toothdoc

Re: Steak on charcoal grill - 05/21/17 10:25 PM

Originally Posted By: woodduck
Dales and Montreal seasoning hard to beat
They had T-bone on sale at our local value Mary grocery store so I picked a few up. I let them sit on a little Mt. P's for about 20 min while the grill heated up and hit them with a little Montreal. For a good steal nothing but salt and butter, but for these, they turned out quite noce. They were really good with breakfast the next day.
Posted By: snakebit

Re: Steak on charcoal grill - 05/22/17 08:06 AM

Originally Posted By: snakebit

Lame.

You're lame grin I love grilling we just didn't have time Saturday night and the wife still had a good time.

thumbup beers
YEAH!!
Posted By: Rebelman

Re: Steak on charcoal grill - 05/22/17 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: bamaeyedoc
Don't know where you are but Pepper Tree Steaks and Wines on Vaughn road in Montgomery has some dang good seasoning on their steaks.

I've been using their seasoning for years. It is some fine stuff, sho' enough!

Come to think of it I think I am out.
Posted By: BobF

Re: Steak on charcoal grill - 05/22/17 06:28 PM

Trying a new, to me, cut tonight...picked up a wagyu tri tip from my butcher...reverse sear, cherry for smoke

© 2024 ALDEER.COM