Aldeer.com

Must be a good day for smokin'

Posted By: Irishguy

Must be a good day for smokin' - 04/29/17 04:01 PM

We have some friends coming over for dinner tonight, so I rubbed a Butt down with my rub and threw it on the Kamado. Mrs. Irish seasoned up some chicken thighs in our traditional way and also some with her own Jamaica jerk seasoning. It's been going on 275 for a while and just threw on the chicken.

Going to serve the smoked pork over a bed of cheese grits and collard greens. They've been cooking for a while now with a ham hock and some seasonings.

Must be a good day for smokin'. I'm out here on the shaded back deck presiding over the smoker with an Artero Fuente and a nice IPA. Could be a little cooler. I hope summer isn't going to be super hot. I miss winter already.

Re: Must be a good day for smokin' - 04/29/17 04:06 PM

I sure hope this is going to be edible...

Posted By: marshmud991

Re: Must be a good day for smokin' - 04/29/17 06:20 PM

HOLY SMOKE!!! That sure looks good.

Re: Must be a good day for smokin' - 04/29/17 10:18 PM

This turned out better than we expected. 3 couples over for dinner and everyone left happy and their tummies were full. Those are homemade beer battered Vidalia onion rings on top. Irishguy Jr's girlfriend/fiance had never had grits or collards before. grin She's from Pennsylvania. She cleaned her plate. grin

Posted By: Maggie123

Re: Must be a good day for smokin' - 04/30/17 08:42 AM

Looks fabulous!!
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Must be a good day for smokin' - 04/30/17 10:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Irishguy
This turned out better than we expected. 3 couples over for dinner and everyone left happy and their tummies were full. Those are homemade beer battered Vidalia onion rings on top. Irishguy Jr's girlfriend/fiance had never had grits or collards before. grin She's from Pennsylvania. She cleaned her plate. grin

So is it his girlfriend or his fiancé? Lol

Re: Must be a good day for smokin' - 04/30/17 03:05 PM

Originally Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

She might as well be his fiance. They're going to get married, but they are waiting until they graduate college and can afford to get a house. Smart kids.
Posted By: Maggie123

Re: Must be a good day for smokin' - 04/30/17 04:44 PM

She might as well be his fiance. They're going to get married, but they are waiting until they graduate college and can afford to get a house. Smart kids.

Good for them!!!! Using their heads!!! YEA!!!
Posted By: BobF

Re: Must be a good day for smokin' - 04/30/17 05:27 PM

Wow!! Looks delicious!!
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Must be a good day for smokin' - 04/30/17 07:14 PM

Did you score the fat cap? If so why?

Re: Must be a good day for smokin' - 04/30/17 07:20 PM

Originally Posted By: jlbuc10
Did you score the fat cap? If so why?

I just do that because I somehow think the seasonings and the smoke will get to the meat better on that side. Stupid I know, but I do it anyway.

I guess it's kind of like me wondering why people brine and baste and mop and all that chit, when there is no respectable BBQ joint (That I know of) doing those things. They have too much meat to cook to do all that. Simply season the meat and smoke it slowly over low heat and enjoy. Smoked meat ain't complicated.

Re: Must be a good day for smokin' - 04/30/17 07:27 PM

So we got to eat the chicken thighs tonight that I smoked last night. Warmed them up in aluminum foil, and served with pickled peppers, collard greens, and black eye peas (seasoned with smoked pork, onions and uncured bacon grease) over rice.

It was as good or better than last night.

Re: Must be a good day for smokin' - 04/30/17 07:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Maggie123

Good for them!!!! Using their heads!!! YEA!!!

The two love birds cleaned up the entire kitchen while the older folks sat on the back deck after dinner, smoked cigars and sipped on whiskey. Good kids. All the other adults, were like,"Who taught them to do that without even being asked?" I just smiled...

Sometimes kids just settle in to being good folks and others, no matter what you do, never quite catch on. I've had both.
Posted By: Geno

Re: Must be a good day for smokin' - 05/02/17 08:12 AM

Leading from the front is all you can do. The rest is up to the individual. You've done well.
Posted By: Lbeezy

Re: Must be a good day for smokin' - 06/01/17 01:09 PM

All I can say is BOY ya'll throwing down!!!! Eating good!
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: Must be a good day for smokin' - 06/02/17 11:33 AM

Those folks got a better meal at your house than they could've gotten at a restaurant. Good price too! Looks awesome as usual!

Dr. B
© 2024 ALDEER.COM