Aldeer.com

Rice???

Posted By: deadeye

Rice??? - 04/13/17 08:48 PM

What brand of rice do you guys use. I have always been a China Doll user but it ALWAYS boils over. I like Uncle Bens Wild rice too. Lately I have been using Zatarains long grain and like it MUCH better than China Doll. I like the taste better and it NEVER boils over.

Posted By: marshmud991

Re: Rice??? - 04/14/17 01:57 AM

if I buy rice it's gonna be Torro long grain rice. I grow long grain rice and after its dried I have some milled and cleaned. Y'all all need to read on the package and buy Louisiana grown rice. We can use all the help we can get.
Posted By: Runningdeer

Re: Rice??? - 04/14/17 01:04 PM

I've recently been turned on to parboiled rice. I'm not brand loyal, but the parboiled rice certainly turns out nice and fluffy and not gummy as other kinds that I've cooked before.
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Rice??? - 04/14/17 01:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Runningdeer
I've recently been turned on to parboiled rice. I'm not brand loyal, but the parboiled rice certainly turns out nice and fluffy and not gummy as other kinds that I've cooked before.

If it's gummy, you've over cooked it.

Make sure you rinse your rice before boiling and add a little oil and salt to the water and it'll make wonderful rice no matter the brand.
Posted By: Maggie123

Re: Rice??? - 04/14/17 02:23 PM

When I want special rice, I buy Ellis Stansel or Delta Blues rice. Both are excellent. Generally when I make casseroles, soups and things of that nature I use TEXMATI flavors/brands.

I've never tried just Zatarain's rice but am sure I have eaten it in some of the other dishes they sell that includes it.
Posted By: Yelp softly

Re: Rice??? - 04/15/17 08:32 PM

I bought a rice cooker after a buddy of mine that lives in Louisiana said everyone he knows owns one. It does make perfect rice. It cooks other stuff too but I've always hated rice boiling over as someone already mentioned. You put it in the rice cooker and forget it. Super easy. The directions do state to pre-rinse your rice as someone else suggested. This keeps it from sticking.
Posted By: R_H_Clark

Re: Rice??? - 04/16/17 11:17 AM

What is this boiling over you speak of? I bring water,salt,butter to a boil,then add rice,stir once and cover. I let it come back to a boil and immediately reduce heat and simmer for 25 minuets.

Why is your rice boiling over? It only takes seconds to bring it back to a boil,so you don't walk away. You don't stir it or anything after you reduce it to a simmer. Stirring it makes it gummy. After 25 minuets on your lowest setting,just let it sit a few minuets covered and then take the cover off and fluff it with a fork. Mine turns out perfect every time using this method.

I am however talking about white long grain rice. I've used different brands but can't really tell much difference between what I've used.
Posted By: toothdoc

Re: Rice??? - 04/16/17 05:50 PM

I'm none brand specific, but like jasmine rice. Lately I use cauliflower instead.
Posted By: JDR4Bama

Re: Rice??? - 04/20/17 11:26 PM

All hail King R H Clark. The king of no boil-overs. He can't even spell it. No idea what we are talking about. Rice-making master, lol. Giving you chit, but I don't doubt that you are right.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM