Aldeer.com

Pemmican

Posted By: Brooke

Pemmican - 02/09/16 04:03 PM

You make a dry jerky that grinds up dry powder like in the food processor. You add in with the ground meat ground dried nuts & fruit of your choice. I like to use roasted pecans, dates, blueberries and apples. You add a little raw honey to bind it. The Native Americans used tallow. You spread onto a baking sheet and then cut into bars.
I'm making a batch today. I make it a lot. It's really good. I don't know of anyone else who makes it though.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Pemmican - 02/09/16 06:12 PM

Never heard of it but sounds interesting
Posted By: trlrdrdave

Re: Pemmican - 02/09/16 06:26 PM

I have made it. But I used suet. It is compact, doesn't need a refrigerator and will get you through a day in the woods with nothing else. If you have never heard of it you weren't paying attention in fifth grade.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Pemmican - 02/09/16 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By: trlrdrdave
If you have never heard of it you weren't paying attention in fifth grade.

Guilty
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Pemmican - 02/09/16 09:26 PM

Originally Posted By: top cat
Originally Posted By: trlrdrdave
If you have never heard of it you weren't paying attention in fifth grade.

Guilty

Me too. It sounds great.
Posted By: Yelp softly

Re: Pemmican - 02/10/16 10:24 PM

So you make jerky, then grind it into powder? After you mix it with the ground nuts and fruit you add raw honey. I think I got that part. After you spread it on a cookie sheet, do you have to leave it a while or put it in the oven to harden up? I was thinking if it was soft enough to spread on a cookie sheet that the bars would be flimsy. When it's finished, are the bars hard or chewy? Do you have to wrap them in wax paper or something to keep them from sticking together?

This sounds good. I'd like to try it.
Posted By: DEADorALIVE

Re: Pemmican - 02/13/16 09:03 PM

You break meat down into its basic components...protein, and rendered/purified fat, then recombine them, along with dried and pulverized nuts and/or fruits for flavor and fiber. Done correctly, it keeps forever, it's healthy, nutritious, and sometimes even tastes good! It's a storable and portable source of calories and protein that doesn't require refrigeration or other special care.
Posted By: SapperDawg

Re: Pemmican - 02/13/16 11:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Brooke
You make a dry jerky that grinds up dry powder like in the food processor. You add in with the ground meat ground dried nuts & fruit of your choice. I like to use roasted pecans, dates, blueberries and apples. You add a little raw honey to bind it. The Native Americans used tallow. You spread onto a baking sheet and then cut into bars.
I'm making a batch today. I make it a lot. It's really good. I don't know of anyone else who makes it though.

I've been interested in trying this for a while. How are you storing the bars, and any insights on how yours have held up to time? Vacuum sealing them individually, or just ziplock bag/container?
Posted By: Brooke

Re: Pemmican - 02/26/16 09:07 AM

Yes, first make jerkey that's pretty dry. Grind the dry jerky in the food processor. Add your roasted nuts & dried fruits of choice to the ground jerky and grind that together. I've found that using dates is a great binder and they pair nicely with deer and pecans. You can add a little sea salt if you like. Add honey to bind. It's not hardened at this point, but will cure out in a day or so. I'll leave it in the pan, covered, for a couple days to harden more before packaging. You can quick cure it in the oven on low heat, but I rarely do. Vacuum sealed food bags are great for storing. I cut into candy bar sized pieces and normally store in zip lock bags as it doesn't last long. My daughter has to take extra to school because several of her friends love it. We call it Nature's candy bar smile
Posted By: Yelp softly

Re: Pemmican - 03/11/16 07:29 PM

Thanks for the clarification. I may use a backstrap to make jerky and try this soon.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM