Aldeer.com

henned up

Posted By: Ben2

henned up - 04/23/14 10:23 PM

Anyone else noticed the turkeys have been henned up all season? Not sure if we just have a ton of hens this year but normally by the 12th of April our gobblers get lonely. This year they still have hens all day to this date.
Posted By: Tru-Talker

Re: henned up - 04/24/14 06:58 AM

Ours aren't anymore...... Every gobbler I saw was by itself..... And I also had 6 jakes come to a field I was in ..... Only thing....the gobblers I saw weren't responding to any calling....
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: henned up - 04/24/14 07:11 AM

Ours aren't anymore either. Mostly lone gobblers and swarms of jakes. The few hens I've seen are also by themselves. Every time I get something working with a gobbler a group of 6-10 jakes run him off though. They are starting to test my patience
Posted By: Bowhunter84

Re: henned up - 04/24/14 07:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Tru-Talker
Ours aren't anymore...... Every gobbler I saw was by itself..... And I also had 6 jakes come to a field I was in ..... Only thing....the gobblers I saw weren't responding to any calling....

Yup I seen the same thing.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: henned up - 04/24/14 09:09 AM

Their still henned up at my place, from dusk till dawn.
Posted By: Fleahopmayor

Re: henned up - 04/24/14 09:35 AM

Saw 4 gobblers by themselves this morning in a field. They never made a sound, nor did they respond in any way to any turkey sounds. Very strange/tough season to say the least.
Posted By: mudxxed

Re: henned up - 04/24/14 02:48 PM

Starting to get henned up here bad. SE Bama.
Posted By: Dquailhunter

Re: henned up - 04/24/14 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By: mudxxed
Starting to get henned up here bad. SE Bama.

+2
Posted By: JW

Re: henned up - 04/24/14 07:25 PM

Henned up all year for me as well. I have hunted a bird all season and he always has at least 2 with him at all times.
Posted By: doecommander

Re: henned up - 04/24/14 07:32 PM

Henned up and inconsistent gobbling. I have only heard 2 birds gobble on the ground. I have probably hunted 20 times. Very little gobbling all year.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: henned up - 04/24/14 07:37 PM

Ours are only without hens for a day or two, then they are back with hens.
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: henned up - 04/24/14 08:45 PM

This thread is a perfect example of why you never know wth a turkey is going to be doing. You wouldn't think there would be this many inconsistencies but turkeys are going to be turkeys
Posted By: sj22

Re: henned up - 04/24/14 09:17 PM

Originally Posted By: crenshawco
This thread is a perfect example of why you never know wth a turkey is going to be doing. You wouldn't think there would be this many inconsistencies but turkeys are going to be turkeys

Very true
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: henned up - 04/24/14 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By: crenshawco

Mine aren't inconsistent, mine do this every year.
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: henned up - 04/25/14 08:00 AM

I have called in a few hens that were solo, and have had some good gobbling birds that responded well to calls, read the script, acted right and got folded up. this has all been on public land... for me it has been a good season, besides spring being about 2 wks behind.
Posted By: btbab10

Re: henned up - 04/25/14 08:38 AM

Turkeys are consistent and being inconsistent.

Also, what is yall's deal with complaining about gobbler being with hens? That is part of turkey hunting. No need to gripe about it, they raise the future gobblers to shoot. Try to ambush them, if you are anti-ambush/crawl up on turkey, then I don't know what to say.
Posted By: AU_trout_bum

Re: henned up - 04/25/14 12:32 PM

Originally Posted By: btbab10
Turkeys are consistent and being inconsistent.

Also, what is yall's deal with complaining about gobbler being with hens? That is part of turkey hunting. No need to gripe about it, they raise the future gobblers to shoot. Try to ambush them, if you are anti-ambush/crawl up on turkey, then I don't know what to say.

Yep. Turkeys write the script, no the other way around. Either take the hand you've been dealt and adjust or don't. Just don't gripe about not being able to kill them right off the roost running into your calling. BTW, this is not directed at anyone in particular, before anyone gets their panties in a wad.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM