Aldeer.com

4/20 LFTW

Posted By: Bustinbeards

4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 09:42 AM

We got into a field strutter yesterday with a satellite bird, he strutted in the same spot for most of the morning.

We are going to be waiting on them with our sons this morning.

Maybe they will keep their routine and the boys work it out.

Going to be another humid one this morning.

Good luck fellas.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 10:11 AM

Just pulled up. Hoping the rain holds out. 3 different weather app as giving 3 different hour-by-hour forecasts in terms of rain so it’s a crap shoot. Only heard 1 single gobble all year so hoping to turn it around some today
Posted By: Jdkprp70

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 10:13 AM

Present
Posted By: lefthorn

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 10:26 AM

Here. Sure is foggy
Posted By: JA

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 10:41 AM

Present and so are the skeeters.
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 10:41 AM

Whew it’s humid!! Hope to hear one. It’s 540 and crows are already up….thermacell be on today.
Posted By: Rolloverdave

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 11:23 AM

Nina peep and had a pack of dogs run up on me barking
Posted By: kkfish

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 11:25 AM

Nothing so far but I’m here

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 11:40 AM

1 gobbled one time

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 11:47 AM

Freakin rain overnight has it so damp that 2 hens just walked up to me 15yds to my right in the woods and I never heard them coming. Just barely turned my head a little bit and suddenly heard a couple of putts. No idea how long they’d been standing there but they busted me and wandered off putting. Believe they were alone though so no big loss.

Zero gobbling though. Literally only heard 1 lone gobble all season
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 11:48 AM

Misting rain and windy. Going to set a decoy up in a strut zone and call every few minutes. Hoping to call one in for my son.

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 12:07 PM

Gobbler gobbled 30x we saw him pitch and sail within 100yards of our set up.

Everything was perfect as he was working his way in and then We hear gravel popping and so did he.

A truck was driving right into our setup

He got spooky set his wings and turned to leave a rushed shot and a smooth miss

We got a shot but Damn just damn. 2x in 2 days we have had someone come right through the set up.

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 12:11 PM

Nothing on me at dawn. Heard 1 across the line but was only a few hundred yards over. I headed that way and busted 3 birds off the roost that hadn’t made a peep all morning. This was at 650. slap mad so gonna see if I can strike one up on other side of property.
Posted By: TurkeyJoe

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 12:20 PM

Silence in Baldwin County
Posted By: sw1002

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by GomerPyle

Freakin rain overnight has it so damp that 2 hens just walked up to me 15yds to my right in the woods and I never heard them coming. Just barely turned my head a little bit and suddenly heard a couple of putts. No idea how long they’d been standing there but they busted me and wandered off putting. Believe they were alone though so no big loss.

You need to find a new place to hunt

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by sw1002

You need to find a new place to hunt

That’s the damn truth. Thing is, there were at least 2 mature gobblers and a handful of jakes here at the end of last season. They’ve just vanished

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 12:31 PM

Hen came by so far I know ones around but must be with others.

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 12:34 PM

Somebody just smashed one on the land east of me…

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 12:48 PM

Past 2 days my luck been shucks!!! Swing and a miss on a chip shot
Posted By: TDog93

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 12:59 PM

^^
Sorry Dave

Dang Bustin - i would want to hav a heart to heart w guy in dang truck. Wonder if he heard bird and rolled in to screw it up?

Not crap in sweetwater! Typical! Wish i could fool w one! Clarke zip - thick fog there! Cooler weather coming!

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 01:02 PM

Got one half heartedly playing

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 01:05 PM

Between yesterday the gun clicking and missing today guess god doesn’t
Want my season to end. I’m okay with it I get to play the game again.
Posted By: johnv

Got on two this morning. I went to where they flew down last weekend and they went the opposite way. Cut them off twice but they were with hens and wouldn't come my way. Have 3 jakes walking around in a food plot now

Just gobbled again

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 01:06 PM

A tree blew down and a bird I haven't heard all morning gobbled

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 01:50 PM

Long beard down!!

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 01:54 PM

We got 5 in a pasture just milling and feeding. We are set up in a corner where they cross just waiting and watching them strut and feed. We’re in a good position to make a move if we have to

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 02:27 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Semo

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 02:49 PM

Finally got a chance to go by myself. I have taken out 3 guys this week and they all got birds before 7 and then we quit.

Monday (opening day) was crazy. Had to ask a guy to leave and not come back that has hunted on our place for 35 years. He got pissed because he wanted to hunt where I was at but rather than having a discussion he came over and ran my birds off on purpose as daylight was breaking. That has never happened before (in the 90 years of my family directing hunting) and won't ever happen again. I'm just glad he did it to me and not somebody else. Sad thing is he hunts more than anyone else does (used to).

Anyway, I got in on one early and thought I could see down the road from the brush I was sitting in. I could not and he busted me at 6 steps. So, I took off and went after another bird I heard and had him on the ground by 6:45. Again, I shot him about 5 feet from where I first saw him. It was 10 steps. I may need to only use a standard full choke if I'm goung to keep hunting these logged ridges. Nice bird with an 11 1/4 beard but had one spur broke off.

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 03:25 PM

10 1/2 inch beard
[Linked Image]

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 03:35 PM

Nice bird JohnV

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Semo
Nice bird JohnV

Thanks

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 04:48 PM

Congrats to the killers

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 04:52 PM

Finally got a chance to go by myself. I have taken out 3 guys this week and they all got birds before 7 and then we quit.

Monday (opening day) was crazy. Had to ask a guy to leave and not come back that has hunted on our place for 35 years. He got pissed because he wanted to hunt where I was at but rather than having a discussion he came over and ran my birds off on purpose as daylight was breaking. That has never happened before (in the 90 years of my family directing hunting) and won't ever happen again. I'm just glad he did it to me and not somebody else. Sad thing is he hunts more than anyone else does (used to).

Anyway, I got in on one early and thought I could see down the road from the brush I was sitting in. I could not and he busted me at 6 steps. So, I took off and went after another bird I heard and had him on the ground by 6:45. Again, I shot him about 5 feet from where I first saw him. It was 10 steps. I may need to only use a standard full choke if I'm goung to keep hunting these logged ridges. Nice bird with an 11 1/4 beard but had one spur broke off.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TurkeyJoe

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rolloverdave
Congrats to the killers
Posted By: Jdkprp70

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 05:33 PM

Congrats to the killers, we had one at 40, brother in law couldn't see it and if I shot he would've shot he would be deaf in his left ear.

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 06:07 PM

Log trucks started coming in our place and shut mine down
Posted By: Tall Dog

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 06:09 PM

Sitting where we watched one strut yesterday morning but nothing so far and not a peep .

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 06:32 PM

Congrats killers

Dang - that pretty stupid on that guys part Semo!! Anybody let me hunt their place i am grateful. Dick move on his part - glad he had to hit the trail
Posted By: 3toe

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 06:36 PM

I think ours may be done in Pickens. Haven't gobbled in over two weeks. Listened to the songs of silence again this morning until the thunder started rolling in around 10a. I'd had enough silence for the day and packed it up.
Posted By: Pwyse

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 06:38 PM

I took two guys from work that had never been turkey hunting before. Set up in a patch I had disked in first light. He flew down early there Tuesday so I wanted to beat him there. Had a bird start gobbling a long ways off at 5:45. We went to him and got him to gobble a few times but he shut up. While I was calling to him I heard a bird answer me from behind us across the railroad tracks. Not our property so I didn't put much thought to him. 15 minutes later he gobbles in the clear cut between me and the train tracks behind me about 100 yards. I get turned around. The two newbies are facing the other way so I had decided to kill him if he shows. Heck I'll take them hunting but I ain't letting one slip by us. I get him across the little clear cut and of course he goes to my right and I can't get turned. I see him at 49 yards craning, then going into half strut, craning, half strut. Not moving at all. He can see me so I know he's looking for her. Clucks and purrs don't move him. I just need him to go left about 5 steps, he goes right and gets across a road from us. I let him slip by us. He's in some thinned pines now. He then proceeds to gobble and strut at everything I do for the next 45 minutes. I tried all I knew to do. Silence, fighting purrs, soft calling, silence, aggressive calling, silence... Finally he gobbles just over the crest of the hill and he's at about 45 yards. I tell the boys to get ready. Which they already were. I can't see him because of a brush pile. I see one of the boys stretch his neck up to see... putt putt. Game over. He gone. 🤦🏻‍♂️ I shoulda John Wayned him when I had the chance. Oh well. It was a fun morning.

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 06:38 PM

Congrats on your bird to Semo. I shot mine at 30 yards mid gobble with 3 Jake's at 10 yards half gobbling. Was one of my favorite hunting experiences ever
Posted By: CNC

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Rolloverdave
Congrats to the killers

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by johnv
Congrats on your bird to Semo. I shot mine at 30 yards mid gobble with 3 Jake's at 10 yards half gobbling. Was one of my favorite hunting experiences ever

That's awesome man. Congratulations

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 06:56 PM

Congrats man that's a great bird.

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by TDog93
Congrats killers

Dang - that pretty stupid on that guys part Semo!! Anybody let me hunt their place i am grateful. Dick move on his part - glad he had to hit the trail

Yeah, sad part is I grew up around him and really like the guy. But, he was injured pretty bad at work several years ago and really hasn't been the same since. He may get a second chance, but we will see (not this year).

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 07:51 PM

^^
Sorry to hear

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by johnv

Cool. Sounds like they had you surrounded.

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 08:19 PM

Congrats killers

Yeah, sad part is I grew up around him and really like the guy. But, he was injured pretty bad at work several years ago and really hasn't been the same since. He may get a second chance, but we will see (not this year).

I’m sorry he got hurt. Sounds like he’s a little unstable and possibly dangerous now. Not someone I’d want to hunt with. Period. A lot of things in life deserve a second chance. This ain’t one of them. My .02 but probably not worth that. Congrats on a fine bird under those circumstances.
Posted By: hallb

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 09:47 PM

I hate turkey hunting.

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by hallb
I hate turkey hunting.

We all do until our next bird😂
Posted By: Bulls eye

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 10:13 PM

Heading up to KY early Monday. Got 1 bird left up there. 8 hrs total drive time for 1 bird. It surely is a sickness😁. Congrats to those that killed today.

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by hallb
I hate turkey hunting.

I said the same thing when that bird got away from us this morning.
Posted By: 3toe

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/20/24 11:42 PM

I love turkey hunting but hate these non-gobbling non-responsive sob’s. I think all our gobblers are they/them, lgbtg.
Posted By: 7x57_Mauser

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/21/24 12:02 AM

Hunted this morning on a public place that gets hammered hard. Saw a lone hen on a gas line, but that was it. Heard no gobbling activity.

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/21/24 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by 3toe
I think ours may be done in Pickens. Haven't gobbled in over two weeks. Listened to the songs of silence again this morning until the thunder started rolling in around 10a. I'd had enough silence for the day and packed it up.

I’m wondering the same thing. I’m in Northwest Tuscaloosa County and haven’t heard crap all season. I used to not pay much attention to all the “they’ll be done before season opens” comments, but I can’t help but wonder if that may be the case in my area this year.

I may be done for the season after this morning. I don’t mind birds kicking my tail but I’m not gonna keep wandering around the woods listening to nothing but crows and songbirds. Too many fish needing caught to deal with this crap.

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/21/24 01:00 AM

I’m wondering the same thing. I’m in Northwest Tuscaloosa County and haven’t heard crap all season. I used to not pay much attention to all the “they’ll be done before season opens” comments, but I can’t help but wonder if that may be the case in my area this year.

I may be done for the season after this morning. I don’t mind birds kicking my tail but I’m not gonna keep wandering around the woods listening to nothing but crows and songbirds. Too many fish needing caught to deal with this crap.

They’re not done. They’re getting fired up on certain days and not others for no apparent reason. I have noticed this season I don’t have birds at all on several small tracts that I typically do. Haven’t heard a single bird on several places. Heard them ripping it nearly every day on two others though.

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/21/24 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by bamaeyedoc
Congrats killers

I’m sorry he got hurt. Sounds like he’s a little unstable and possibly dangerous now. Not someone I’d want to hunt with. Period. A lot of things in life deserve a second chance. This ain’t one of them. My .02 but probably not worth that. Congrats on a fine bird under those circumstances.

I appreciate your input and thanks
Posted By: hallb

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/21/24 01:07 AM

I watched 2 hens and 2 longbeards just glide on thru. The Toms were just strut walking along. I could have done “this turkey puss is free” call and it wouldn’t have mattered. No gobbling all season on my place except 1 morning but I know there are turkeys here just don’t gobble. Too many hens?

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/21/24 01:13 AM

There are exceptions out there but for the most part it starts winding down now everywhere I’ve ever hunted. I’m usually finished and hardly hunted last week of April. Dam May is crazy and it will be hot as usual. Government jacked our season dates up so in my opinion we miss some good gobbling especially if weather cooperates.

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/21/24 01:16 AM

We were with turkeys all day. Watched a gobbler pitch out this morning and Saw them fly up to roost up this evening. It’s been a rodeo with a 10 and 12yo all day.

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/21/24 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Bustinbeards
We were with turkeys all day. Watched one pitch out and beers with them all day. Saw the fly up to roost up this evening. It’s been a rodeo with a 10 and 12yo all day.

sounds like fun
Posted By: geeb1

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/21/24 01:37 AM

Gomer, I used to hunt in Brookwood, Tuscaloosa Co and the birds would gobble a few times a week. We would see tons of gobs in the fall and spring it seems they left. Very frustrating
Posted By: nate409

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/21/24 02:31 AM

You ever hunt mulberry? I left 3 gobblers at my spot down there this season due to the rain making the roads too bad for my camry. PM me if your interested in going after them.
Posted By: Gobble4me757

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/21/24 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by nate409

You ever hunt mulberry? I left 3 gobblers at my spot down there this season due to the rain making the roads too bad for my camry. PM me if your interested in going after them.

Lose lips sink ships on a public forum
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/21/24 03:10 AM

You’d have as good a chance getting there and out as gomer.
Posted By: BCLC

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/21/24 03:22 AM

lol

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/21/24 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Turkey_neck

lol….it was a matter of time

Re: 4/20 LFTW - 04/21/24 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Turkey_neck

If he sends it like shoot em up Tex he might have a better chance laugh
© 2024 ALDEER.COM