Aldeer.com

SOA's

Posted By: SharpSpur

SOA's - 04/05/23 12:31 PM

Anybody heard how the first weekend of SOA's went?

I'm supposed to got to Stimpson Friday and the weather looks great especially for a predawn 3.5hr drive!
Posted By: jono23

Re: SOA's - 04/05/23 04:37 PM

Let me know how Stimpson goes. Where are you staying down there? I go in two weeks.
Posted By: 87v6bird

Re: SOA's - 04/05/23 05:16 PM

The weather wasn't the best for two of the days but we managed to get one off Little River. The only bird killed for the weekend to my knowledge.
Posted By: Nightwatchman

Re: SOA's - 04/05/23 05:46 PM

Wife and I hunted Uchee creek unit 1 and 2 last weekend.

Walked the whole place and never heard a gobble or saw a bird. Which was very surprising to me. The property looked really promising at first. Frustrating

Re: SOA's - 04/05/23 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by jono23
Let me know how Stimpson goes. Where are you staying down there? I go in two weeks.

I'm staying in my pickup at the camp site. Can't hunt Sunday so I'm driving down Friday morning and if needed sleeping in the cab of my truck and hunting Sat. and heading back home.
Posted By: zgobbler5

Re: SOA's - 04/05/23 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by 87v6bird
The weather wasn't the best for two of the days but we managed to get one off Little River. The only bird killed for the weekend to my knowledge.

Congrats! Little River near Escambia and Monroe County?

Re: SOA's - 04/05/23 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by SharpSpur

I'm staying in my pickup at the camp site. Can't hunt Sunday so I'm driving down Friday morning and if needed sleeping in the cab of my truck and hunting Sat. and heading back home.

Do they have a camp site on property? I have emailed the biologist and haven't heard anything back. I will be doing something similar.

Re: SOA's - 04/05/23 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by zgobbler5

Congrats! Little River near Escambia and Monroe County?

Thanks! Yes, that's it.

Re: SOA's - 04/05/23 08:21 PM

Do they have a camp site on property? I have emailed the biologist and haven't heard anything back. I will be doing something similar.

He's been very responsive to me. Hmmm. The word I got is there's a primitive campsite at the headquarters.
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: SOA's - 04/05/23 08:27 PM

What section did you have?

Re: SOA's - 04/05/23 08:35 PM

He's been very responsive to me. Hmmm. The word I got is there's a primitive campsite at the headquarters.

We've deer-hunted Stimpson before and were allowed to camp at the headquarters. It was primitive.

Re: SOA's - 04/05/23 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Coosa1

What section did you have?

Posted By: BrandonClark

Re: SOA's - 04/20/23 10:48 AM

How did y’all do at Stimpson?

Re: SOA's - 04/20/23 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by BrandonClark
How did y’all do at Stimpson?

I was able to find one early Friday morning (4/7) and he did right. Killed him about 7:10 in section 14. Left the property by 8:30. Sort of regret leaving so early and not seeing more of the place but I knew my trip was going to be only Fri/Sat with Easter on Sunday so it was just me hunting without a guest. From the little bit I saw of it, it was a beautiful piece of Southern Alabama dirt and my first time hunting South of Fayette Co. Saw a half dozen alligators probably in the dusky dawn slide in the slough I walked by on Salt Well Rd which sped my blood flow up and one big black hog also. Oh and the Gnats in the openings were unlike the Gnats in the North half of the state. Never anything like it in my life.

Only heard the one turkey and only saw one other, but the weather was not ideal either with heavy clouds and wind, coupled with the short time I was there. I feel like a cool mid late March morning would be loud in that area? I had sections 13 and 14 but only stepped on 14. I will register again for these.
Posted By: BrandonClark

Re: SOA's - 04/20/23 02:18 PM

Thanks sharp spur. I have sections 4&5 this weekend

Re: SOA's - 04/25/23 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by BrandonClark
Thanks sharp spur. I have sections 4&5 this weekend

How did you do at Stimpson? We heard shots, but didn't see anything reported. We were Units 13 & 14
© 2024 ALDEER.COM