Aldeer.com

Might need a dog

Posted By: eclipse829

Might need a dog - 03/29/23 06:25 PM

Back slap. He flopped but got up and ran towards a deep holler. Had good blood and feathers for about 4 ft.
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: Might need a dog - 03/29/23 06:27 PM

He gone
Posted By: CNC

Re: Might need a dog - 03/29/23 06:31 PM

If you broke his wings and he cant fly it's legitimately possible to find him with a tracking dog......I've seen it done
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Might need a dog - 03/29/23 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by CNC
If you broke his wings and he cant fly it's legitimately possible to find him with a tracking dog......I've seen it done

I have also. A blue healer did it.
Posted By: fi8shmasty

Re: Might need a dog - 03/29/23 07:24 PM

I've never found one I've rolled.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Might need a dog - 03/29/23 07:42 PM

I have recovered several that were able to get out of sight from me. I once recovered one 3 hours after the shot, but since then I've decided that it's best to pursue him immediately. The last time I had one run off wounded was about 15 years ago when I was still using a 12 gauge. I just made a bad shot and only broke a wing, but I came up on him about 200 yds away and was able to finish him.

I would sure go back and look. Check out stump holes, briar patches, and especially along the banks of a stream. If he is seriously wounded, he will try to hide. Sure hope you can find him!
Posted By: chevydude2015

Re: Might need a dog - 03/29/23 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by poorcountrypreacher

I have recovered several that were able to get out of sight from me. I once recovered one 3 hours after the shot, but since then I've decided that it's best to pursue him immediately. The last time I had one run off wounded was about 15 years ago when I was still using a 12 gauge. I just made a bad shot and only broke a wing, but I came up on him about 200 yds away and was able to finish him.

I would sure go back and look. Check out stump holes, briar patches, and especially along the banks of a stream. If he is seriously wounded, he will try to hide. Sure hope you can find him!

I agree. It hasn't happened often but I have had pretty good luck with following them right after the shot. If they can still fly then I figure they'll most likely survive. If they can't, then you should be able to catch up and get close enough for a follow up shot.

But shooting them in the face on the first shot works best lol
Posted By: Ridge Life

Re: Might need a dog - 03/29/23 09:04 PM

Told you quit shooting that core-locked tss. Taint a bit a good
Posted By: Rolloverdave

Re: Might need a dog - 03/29/23 09:14 PM

Hope u find him happened to me this year in Florida
Posted By: Ar1220

Re: Might need a dog - 03/29/23 09:35 PM

A tracking dog will find one. Seen it happen
Posted By: Okatuppa

Re: Might need a dog - 03/29/23 10:08 PM

Damn .243 strikes again
Posted By: TDog93

Re: Might need a dog - 03/29/23 11:44 PM

PCP right

I learned long time ago - dont run after a turkey. They do it on tv - no offense - but thats idiotic. Also - several people go to hospital every year from sharp spurs. The ones that pick up a flopper while he floppin or dive on him even dumber

Many reasons not too run:
- like a deer - if they wounded - u likely will not catch em amd if u dont chase - he may not go that far
- u may see a show u never expected by staying put - dont move - i hav seem many but whippings on a flopping turkey after the shot amd i hav also called several turkeys back n cause i was not a moron and run at a turkey
- they dont associate u w the boom - way less pressure - they dont know what just happened
- safety - running w a gun never safe
Posted By: Pwyse

Re: Might need a dog - 03/29/23 11:51 PM

One of the first turkeys I ever killed was an adventure. My buddy called him, I shot him. He’s flopping. Step on his head. Take a picture with a disposable camera. It’s early. My buddy says put him in your vest let’s go try to get on another one. I say no I’m gonna leave him in the side of the logging road I ain’t carrying this heavy sucker all over the property. So I put him up on the hill at the side of the road. We take off. Gone about 2 hours. Come back and he’s gone. My buddy starts in on me about a coyote got him and I should have put him in the vest and all this. I find a little blood trail. Follow it about 20 yards down the road and there he is standing in the woods staggering side to side. I had to shoot him again to put him down. Never again will I leave one like that. A guy told me soon afterwards to hang them up in the v of some branches in a tree. I haven’t tried that yet though.
Posted By: Buckshot77

Re: Might need a dog - 03/30/23 01:00 AM

I rolled one once that flew off, but you could tell he was hurt the way he crashed through a limby pine tree. I walked the way he went and couldn't find him. About 10 or 15 min after, I sat down on a log in the cypress pond where I had been looking. After a minute or so I heard something in the ferns and it was him just barely flopping. Almost left that one.
Posted By: Ridge Life

Re: Might need a dog - 03/30/23 01:12 AM

One morning i kilt a bird that a fellow club member had shot the day before. I was set up on a roosted bird and could see him on the limb. Another member of the club came in on me and bumped him off the roost. I sat there in noticed until he went in. On my way back to the truck I happen upon a bedded gobbler. I kept creeping up on him and finally figured out he couldn’t see, or walk really good. I stepped off about 10 yards and smoked it. I made my way back and told the other fella I called that gobbler he bumped back in
Posted By: Jdkprp70

Re: Might need a dog - 03/30/23 02:11 AM

I have a couple ol high school buddies that shot one from the road, and jumped out and threw it in the back of a Jeep Cherokee. A couple miles down the road a commotion started, he wasn't dead. I'll stop there, needless to say, vehicle had to go to the upholstery shop!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM