Aldeer.com

Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke

Posted By: lardbutt

Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/23/12 08:07 AM

I bought one a couple of weeks ago. APG with 24" barrel. Finally got my Indian Creek Choke (665 I think). Did some patterning today and was very diappointed. I shot Winchester High Veloicity 5's and 6's 3 inch. Shooting 8 inch circle at 40 yards I never got more than 85 number 6 in the circle and the pattern was all over. Number 5's were alot worse. There is not way I would shot a turkey at 40 yards with this setup. Shot at 20 yards and nearly put all shot in the 8 inch circle. Got jelly head today and will try it tomorrow. Any suggestions? Just for the record, I really rather stay away from 3.5's, ( bad shoulder) and I can't see giving 20 dollars for a box of 5 in the heavy 13's but I will if nothing else works. Will post again when I shoot jelly head.
Posted By: trkymn6f0

Re: Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/23/12 08:20 AM

mine shoots the jellyhead .660 and the rhino .660 very well with nitro 4x5x7 loads heavyshot. i have seen most guys patterns on here at 40 yds and mine will beat them at 55 yds all day. that being said, no factory load has done well out of either choke with that gun
Posted By: YEKRUT

Re: Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/23/12 11:53 AM

Originally Posted By: trkymn6f0
i have seen most guys patterns on here at 40 yds and mine will beat them at 55 yds all day.

I'll take that bet. wink
Posted By: demp17

Re: Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/23/12 12:35 PM

Same setup here with the jelly head and SBE 2 except I shoot hevi 13 mag blends and it throws one heck of a pattern at 50 yards. It also shot well with the Indian creek choke and mag blends. Also only regular lead shell that's pattern well is federal #5.
Posted By: HOWTON21

Re: Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/23/12 12:44 PM

Buy some type of heavyshot and you shouldn't have a problem. Yes it's going to cost a little more but you won't have to waste money trying different lead shells. You said you found some heavy 13 for $20 for 5 shells. I think a turkey is worth $4 a pop all day long.
Posted By: n2deer

Re: Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/23/12 12:52 PM

Originally Posted By: HOWTON21
Buy some type of heavyshot and you shouldn't have a problem. Yes it's going to cost a little more but you won't have to waste money trying different lead shells. You said you found some heavy 13 for $20 for 5 shells. I think a turkey is worth $4 a pop all day long.

This.

Re: Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/23/12 01:22 PM

Originally Posted By: HOWTON21

or $10 or $20 a pop for that matter.
Posted By: NickA

Re: Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/23/12 01:46 PM

For what its worth - I shoot a SBE II with the Indian Creek choke as well. I shoot the 3.5" Hevy-13's #5 (gonna go with the 3" when I finally run out of 3.5") and the 3" Winchester HV #5. I went to the range this weekend just to smell the gunpowder and was averaging 45-50 pellets in the head and neck areas on turkey targets at 40 yards. Both loads were pretty much indentical in pattern. I didnt count shot in a 10" circle or nothing. Just what hit the turkey.

Re: Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/23/12 02:26 PM

Thanks for all the response. Heavy's will be the next ones I will buy.

Outlawhunter I did not shoot at a turkey target but I bet I was getting less than 10 shot in head and neck.
Posted By: quailman

Re: Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/23/12 02:40 PM

Have Benelli Nova. Never been all that impressed with it. Tried a half dozen different chokes and shells until finally getting decent results with a Comp-N-Choke with Remington #6 Turkey Loads.

Re: Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/23/12 05:03 PM

Well just got done patterning the Jellyhead. Had about the same results as Indian Creek. Winchesters suck with this combo. Going to try some nitros. I hate to give 40 dollars for a box of 10. Nitro recommend a duplex load of 4's, 5's and 7.5's. Surely out of all those I can get a better pattern. Thanks again.
Posted By: gobblnfever

Re: Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/23/12 05:37 PM

Originally Posted By: lardbutt
Well just got done patterning the Jellyhead. Had about the same results as Indian Creek. Winchesters suck with this combo. Going to try some nitros. I hate to give 40 dollars for a box of 10. Nitro recommend a duplex load of 4's, 5's and 7.5's. Surely out of all those I can get a better pattern. Thanks again.

that will work thumbup

Re: Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/23/12 06:10 PM

Thanks for all the response. Heavy's will be the next ones I will buy.

Outlawhunter I did not shoot at a turkey target but I bet I was getting less than 10 shot in head and neck.

Ouch! Needs to be better than that! I see your gonna try the Nitros now. Prolly your best bet. Alot of $$$ but may be necessary to dish out dirt naps. Good luck.
Posted By: Daggerz

Re: Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/23/12 06:37 PM

Not being funny or smart, but if you give up on the SBE 2, I would like a shot at buying it.

Re: Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/23/12 07:29 PM

Where did you find Nitro's for $4 a piece?
Posted By: Rebelman

Re: Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/23/12 07:34 PM

I think them nitros are only 5 to a box for $40

Re: Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/23/12 07:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Rebelman

That's what I was thinking.
Posted By: mr.clif

Re: Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/23/12 10:09 PM

I bought a benelli M2 with a 21" barrel this year and Pure gold .670 ran about 5 diffrent kinds of lead through it and aint found nuttn yet it likes. Talked to PG today they told me they trade my choke for a tighter one. From what I'm seeing you gotta choke tha bennelis alittle more than others.I was trying to jump off the tungston band wagon but my patterns aint a wanting me to.
Posted By: Yelp softly

Re: Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/24/12 12:21 AM

Try other shells besides the Winchester. The wad can make a difference. A lot of different wad designs have come out in recent years. The last time I patterned a new gun, it liked Winchester but hated Remington and Federal. Even though they may have the same size shot, they are not equal.

Re: Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/24/12 01:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Rebelman

I know a box of 25 is about $178 bucks. Never bought a 5 box before.
Posted By: BamaBart

Re: Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/24/12 02:36 AM

I've found that all shotguns shoot differently, even with buckshot. You can be pointed in the right direction but your gun, choke, and ammo will have to be tuned.
You can use a Rhino or Indian Creek with Nitros and be finished tuning. thumbup

Re: Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/24/12 08:40 AM

I may be misstaken on the price of Nitro's. I thought the web page advertised about $40 for box of ten. May have been just 5. I did talk to someone at nitro today and they recommened the 3.5 4x5x6x7. They have done test with SBE 2 and Indian Creek Chokes. Thats what it shot best. I found a place where I can buy singles so I am going to bite the bullet and buy some 3 inch and 3.5 and pattern again.

Love the Benelli would not be interested in selling. I got a great price on the gun and they have two left. I think the same price. Thanks for all the help.

I will post results when I get the nitros.

Let me say that the gun and either choke will kill a turkey at forty yards. But I have seen all these statements about 200 plus shot at 40 yards and I want my gun and choke to do that. When I bought the chokes I knew the heavys would shoot better I was just trying to save some money and maybe get a decent pattern with cheaper ammo. Thanks again for all the replies and sorry so long.
Posted By: BrentM

Re: Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/24/12 02:35 PM

The 4x5x6x7 megaweights would be pretty close to ten dollars a shell with shipping if you only bought five of them
Posted By: albowhntr

Re: Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/24/12 03:59 PM

My nova did awesome with pure gold and nitros. 50 yrds no problem
Posted By: Dixiepatriot

Re: Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/24/12 05:43 PM

My M2 never shot those Winchesters very good either. The best patterns I ever got was those Remington copper plated #5 but I worry about their energy at 40 yards.

Re: Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/24/12 07:07 PM

If you have they pattern then lead should be no problem at 40.

I never had any luck with Remington shells.
Posted By: TrkyHntr

Re: Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/24/12 08:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Dixiepatriot
My M2 never shot those Winchesters very good either. The best patterns I ever got was those Remington copper plated #5 but I worry about their energy at 40 yards.
The lead #5's have plenty of energy at 40yds.

Shane

Re: Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/24/12 08:18 PM

Several rolled out of the neck of a turkey I was cleaning after a 25yd shot. I felt they should have passed through at that range.

Re: Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/24/12 09:42 PM

I would guess when it broke the bone they stopped.

Re: Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/25/12 07:50 PM

Well I bought the Nitro's at $8 a pop. No better. They also shot a little high but still no concentrated pattern. I have learn a few things. I set the sights with light loads and the 3 in. and 3.5 in. shoot higher. With the 3 in. winchester # 6's I put 59 shot in the kill zone at 30 yards with a turkey target. It does not like #5's. Indian Creek shoots better than Jellyhead. I am beginning to think 200 plus shot at 40 yards is not gonna happen with either choke. I can kill a turkey but I am not getting what is advertised with these chokes. Gonna try some more brands and maybe a different choke. As of now I have nearly $200 bucks in shells and chokes and not happy but me and my son are having fun trying to figure it out. P.S. A folded up towel between shoulder and gun helps alot. Thanks for following along and I will post more results when I get them. Any suggestions appreciated.

Re: Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/25/12 08:06 PM

Have you posted this on Ol Gobbler? There seems to be a lot of guys there that have a lot of experience with this stuff. One might can offer you a suggestion.
Posted By: Johnal3

Re: Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/25/12 08:11 PM

Be sure and clean that barrel between each shot. I just found out how big of a difference it makes after close to 20 years of hunting!

Re: Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/27/12 12:05 AM

Hey guys. Shot again today and used poster paper. Helps see pattern better but still not getting what I want. Shot heavy shot 3in. mag blend and put 75 in 8in. circle at 40 yards. Nice even pattern. Also shot nitro 2x5x7 3.5in. and put about 115 in circle. Shot another 4x5x6x7 nitro mega weight 3.5 in. and got 125 in circle. Not happy but can still kill turkey.

Re: Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/27/12 03:49 AM

Just wondering, have you tried a 3.5" with the factory Crio full choke? I saw a good pattern with 3.5" Hevi #5 with the factory choke. The Crio choke didnt do near as well with 3" as the Indian Creek did but it surprised me with the 3.5".

Re: Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/27/12 11:57 AM

I tried the full choke that came with it. I shot Winchester #5 shot 3in. through it. It really sucked. All I have read is that two guns just alike might not shoot the same. I have notice between this forum and Old Gobbler that alot of SBE2 shoot different chokes and shells. I will just have to keep trying different combos. I know I can kill a turkey now with 3 different loads at 40 yards. And it shoots much better than the factory choke. When I figure it out I will post more. Thanks for following along.

Re: Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/28/12 03:27 AM

Oh well. Sorry about that. I feel like I cost you a shell. Good luck.
Posted By: JUGHEAD

Re: Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/28/12 03:34 AM

Originally Posted By: hellfighter
Be sure and clean that barrel between each shot. I just found out how big of a difference it makes after close to 20 years of hunting!
Still haven't heard you say whether or not you are doing what hellfighter recommended? Have you cleaned that barrel and choke REALLY well?

Re: Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/28/12 03:45 AM

I can say my benelli is a very finicky when counting holes in the 10.
Best I ever got was 240s with Nitros and a pure gold .670

I think I got 190s with 3.5 mag blends. Same shells in my citori put up 230-240.

I have tried the .660 rhino also with a little better numbers. Jelly head 655 is on the way.

I got 268 with my citori and a .680 Carlson's and number 8 TSS. That's my personal best. I have a few boxes of hevi 7s but ran out of time patterning.

Re: Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/28/12 06:31 AM

Jughead, I clean the barrel after every patterning session but not every shot. I clen choke also. I only shot three or four at a session.
Posted By: JUGHEAD

Re: Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/28/12 11:25 AM

Jughead, I clean the barrel after every patterning session but not every shot. I clen choke also. I only shot three or four at a session.
That Hevi-shot (and I'm guessing Nitros too) is nasty and leaves lots of funk in the barrel. I would recommend pulling a bore snake through it after every shot while patterning....otherwise you might not be seeing what each combination is truly capable of.

Re: Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/28/12 06:55 PM

Shot again today, Hevi 3in. #6's. Put 185 in 12in. circle at forty yards with the indian creek and 174 with the jellyhead same size circle. Wife is picking me up Hevi 3.5 in #6's and 3 and 3.5in. #7's. That is not the numbers some of you get but will proably be good enough till next year. I may try different choke then. I have spent a ton of money already. Just today will be 80 to 100 dollars in shells. I am confdent I can kill a tukey at fory yards with this combo. Thanks for all the response. Will post when I pattern other Loads.
Posted By: 3toe

Re: Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/28/12 07:08 PM

You are a brave man letting your wife know what you spend on turkey hunting. Mine still thinks shells are $1 box, club leases are $50 a year, and all my camo comes from the thrift store. grin

Re: Beneilli SBE 2 and Indian Creek Choke - 02/29/12 05:04 PM

Finally found a winner. After a lot of more money than my wife needs to know about Hevi Shot 3.5 #7's with the Indian Creek choke is the winner. Here are the numbers.

Indian Creek 3.5 #6's. 258 in 12 inch circle at fory yards.
Jellyhead 3.5 #6's. 250
Jellyhead 3.5 #7's. 317
Indian Creek 3.5 #7's. 350

The Hevi's won out. The yardage was shot with range finder and the reason for 12 inch circle is that was all I could find in my shop. Thanks for following along and all the suggestions. Now come on turkey season.
If you would like to see a pic. Go to Old Gobbler and look under Patterns. chubbyones SBE 2. Thanks again.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM