Aldeer.com

My local turkeys are still bunched up.....

Posted By: ronfromramer

My local turkeys are still bunched up..... - 03/19/23 06:31 PM

Saw them just a few minutes ago, 3 longbeards, 4 jakes and 10-12 hens. Saw them together on my place last week with a 4th longbeard. Figured they'd be split up by now. Been strutting since january
Posted By: lefthorn

Re: My local turkeys are still bunched up..... - 03/19/23 06:42 PM

Haven’t you heard, they are done a grouping back up already
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: My local turkeys are still bunched up..... - 03/19/23 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by lefthorn
Haven’t you heard, they are done a grouping back up already

^^ this - the warm Feb bred & gobbled em out & they’re back to winter flocking thru the summertime now 🤷🏻‍♂️
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: My local turkeys are still bunched up..... - 03/19/23 07:31 PM

Not really, if they were done hens would be on nest incubating
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: My local turkeys are still bunched up..... - 03/19/23 07:49 PM

We heard at least two birds together this morning maybe three.
Posted By: TDog93

Re: My local turkeys are still bunched up..... - 03/19/23 08:11 PM

Everybody i talked to and every group i seen while driving - all single gobbs w several hens - i even seen that toward b ham
Been seeing that for weeks - saw it yesterday in clarke
Posted By: Remington270

Re: My local turkeys are still bunched up..... - 03/19/23 10:08 PM

Mine are still flocked up too.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: My local turkeys are still bunched up..... - 03/19/23 11:16 PM

Flocked up in NW Bama. Just like every other year at this time.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: My local turkeys are still bunched up..... - 03/20/23 12:18 AM

They stay like that all season some times
Posted By: bill

Re: My local turkeys are still bunched up..... - 03/20/23 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Ben2
They stay like that all season some times

Yep. I hunted a group of 5 all last year that were always together. They wouldn't tolerate any other Jakes or gobblers and they rarely were with hens. They mostly stayed on one 300 acre piece of the property and it seemed like they just wanted to terrorize any other gobblers and Jakes that happened to come through.
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: My local turkeys are still bunched up..... - 03/20/23 01:03 PM

SAW 8 yesterday afternoon bunched up..
Posted By: Gobble4me757

Re: My local turkeys are still bunched up..... - 03/20/23 01:05 PM

Flocks vs singles they are fun to hunt and kill…just different strategies involved in hunting but both fun!
Posted By: Ridge Life

Re: My local turkeys are still bunched up..... - 03/20/23 07:36 PM

Counted 16 in a field earlier coming in from spreading turkey killer. Not a gobbler in the bunch, but I bet he weren’t far.
Posted By: CrappieMan

Re: My local turkeys are still bunched up..... - 03/21/23 12:33 AM

Them 2 yr olds will stay bunched up.
Posted By: Fishduck

Re: My local turkeys are still bunched up..... - 03/21/23 03:30 PM

Saw a single hen in Hale county yesterday come out of a patch of high grass under a tree. Sure acted like a nesting hen.
Posted By: TDog93

Re: My local turkeys are still bunched up..... - 03/21/23 04:11 PM

Saw 7 hens and a gob on one of my fields yesterday - hope he hangs around - he prob gone soon if history repeats itself on this lease he b gone soon. Hope i get a shot at him before he leaves
Posted By: BamaStrapAssassi

Re: My local turkeys are still bunched up..... - 03/27/23 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Mbrock

Can you elaborate Matt?

Re: My local turkeys are still bunched up..... - 03/27/23 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by BamaStrapAssassi

Can you elaborate Matt?

It’s perfectly normal and typical behavior for birds in north AL to be in winter flocks until around April 1st. That’s usually when they start busting up into smaller groups and singles. No earlier than March 25th. There’s a few hens up here that seemingly have split off and are nesting but most are still in flocks around here right now.
Posted By: turkey247

Re: My local turkeys are still bunched up..... - 03/27/23 11:36 AM

Can you elaborate Matt?

It’s perfectly normal and typical behavior for birds in north AL to be in winter flocks until around April 1st. That’s usually when they start busting up into smaller groups and singles. No earlier than March 25th. There’s a few hens up here that seemingly have split off and are nesting but most are still in flocks around here right now.

So……clearly, and without question - that happens about 3/4 weeks earlier in the deep southern 1/3 of the state. But I suppose that’s just more pseudoscience from me. Or just the truth experienced by everybody around these parts? Hmmmmm.

Re: My local turkeys are still bunched up..... - 03/27/23 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by turkey247

Can you elaborate Matt?

So……clearly, and without question - that happens about 3/4 weeks earlier in the deep southern 1/3 of the state. But I suppose that’s just more pseudoscience from me. Or just the truth experienced by everybody around these parts? Hmmmmm.

I’m not speaking for south AL. I’m just telling you that it’s normal for birds up here to be in flocks the first two weeks of the “old” season framework. It’s not unusual.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: My local turkeys are still bunched up..... - 03/27/23 01:15 PM

Been traveling a lot lately and can say I have seen singles on the side of the road more in the central part of the state than in the southern or northern portions. Seen groups from Florida to TN in the last 7 days most singles were around the clanton area
Posted By: turkey247

Re: My local turkeys are still bunched up..... - 03/28/23 01:17 AM

I’m just telling you that it’s normal for birds up here to be in flocks the first two weeks of the “old” season framework. It’s not unusual.

Oh, I get it. Completely understand. And I believe you, and think that’s an accurate assessment.

Also, I’m not trying to just be an A-hole - although I can play that part pretty well too.

But………… I’ve been made aware that what we see with our eyes and hear with our ears - is just pseudoscience. Nothing more. It may be common knowledge. But that means nothing. It’s not science. And it’s not proven. Therefore - your observation - means virtually nothing.

Now - do I believe that above paragraph completely. No way. I believe there’s truth to what we see and there’s some truth to a common knowledge. When a large group of people experience something for many years - thats worth something.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM