Aldeer.com

20 Gauge TSS

Posted By: Hevishot13

20 Gauge TSS - 03/14/23 01:11 AM

I need some more I think. I don’t know if I have enough

[Linked Image]

Look at how pretty those cheddite hulls roll with a geap roll crimper.

[Linked Image]

I’m meticulous to the point of fault. Out of at least 50 20 gauge, the weight difference from the heaviest to the lightest is only 4 grains. Of course, the wad, hull, fillers, all account for that but still. I consider that pretty uniform. I do what I can to make sure every one of those shells shoot the exact same. I don’t like surprises.
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: 20 Gauge TSS - 03/14/23 01:51 AM

Asking for a jinx. I’d give 10 away to make sure.
Posted By: Jdkprp70

Re: 20 Gauge TSS - 03/14/23 01:51 AM

Heck Yeah, that orta work!
Posted By: sj22

Re: 20 Gauge TSS - 03/14/23 01:53 AM

Nice work!
Posted By: Zbrann

Re: 20 Gauge TSS - 03/14/23 02:06 AM

Dang those look good!
Mine look like a squirrel chewed on the top laugh
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: 20 Gauge TSS - 03/14/23 02:11 AM

Mighty fine, keep up the good work!
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: 20 Gauge TSS - 03/14/23 02:20 AM

How long does it take you to load that many?
Posted By: geeb1

Re: 20 Gauge TSS - 03/14/23 02:51 AM

I am glad to see those cheddites roll good. I bought some awhile back. I am using up the last of the fios I have
Posted By: geeb1

Re: 20 Gauge TSS - 03/14/23 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Zbrann
Dang those look good!
Mine look like a squirrel chewed on the top laugh

My 20 gauge shells look similar to the pic above. My 12 gauge shells look rough. I have a gaep crimper but I haven't tried it yet.
Posted By: Gary Harris

Re: 20 Gauge TSS - 03/14/23 02:58 AM

That would be a lifetime supply for me. In fact, if there is turkey hunting in heaven, and I'm not any more successful there than I am here, those would last a good bit into eternity for me.
Posted By: Standbanger

Re: 20 Gauge TSS - 03/18/23 06:25 PM

You better run to the sto
Posted By: ParrotHead89

Re: 20 Gauge TSS - 03/18/23 07:10 PM

Sell them to that bum in Florida that killed 30 birds. He would buy all of them. That would get him through one season
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: 20 Gauge TSS - 03/18/23 09:21 PM

Will you ship them? I guess i could meet up if not.....
Posted By: 7x57_Mauser

Re: 20 Gauge TSS - 03/18/23 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by ridgestalker
Asking for a jinx. I’d give 10 away to make sure.

Yes yes, I will take on that bad juju as my own personal cross to bear. PM me for mailing address.

Max variation of 4 grains is dang good tolerance. For the uninitiated, that's 0.0091 ounces.
Posted By: Hevishot13

Re: 20 Gauge TSS - 03/19/23 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by N2TRKYS

As meticulous as I am, about 3 hours. My process is very lengthy. I inspect every wad, trim the mold tag pieces on each wad, then build the wad columns. I also trim each 3” hull to the length that I want that will produce the best crimp for my liking. Not too much crimp and not too little. Then I weigh out the powder for each hull, drop the powder down in the hull and then insert a wad. Once every hull has been powdered and a wad installed, I weigh each hull and write it all down. Then I measure out the shot for each hull and drop the shot into the hull. I weigh again once all the shot has been added. Then I measure out the buffer, drop half in and vibrate. Then I drop the rest and vibrate again. I then weigh each shell again and record the weights. Then I roll crimp each shell in stages preventing the crimper from getting too hot. Then I do a final weight on each finished shell. This assures that each shell is the same and there aren’t any surprises. Others may have their own process, this is just the way I feel comfortable doing it and it’s worked well for 10 years of rolling my own. These shells shoot very good and they shoot the same in each 20 gauge gun I have. Each gun shoots the same load and the same constriction choke tube. I have my process for .410 and for 12 gauge as well. They are all just as consistent as my 20 gauge shells are. Starting out, I had issues with patterning and a few misses that shouldn’t have taken place. I really fine tuned my process and it helped tremendously. Maybe this will help others as well.
Posted By: howl

Re: 20 Gauge TSS - 03/19/23 01:39 PM

Taking extra care has made a difference with me as well. Little changes show up on target. I wouldn't shoot a commercial .410 load.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: 20 Gauge TSS - 03/19/23 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Hevishot13
Originally Posted by N2TRKYS

As meticulous as I am, about 3 hours. My process is very lengthy. I inspect every wad, trim the mold tag pieces on each wad, then build the wad columns. I also trim each 3” hull to the length that I want that will produce the best crimp for my liking. Not too much crimp and not too little. Then I weigh out the powder for each hull, drop the powder down in the hull and then insert a wad. Once every hull has been powdered and a wad installed, I weigh each hull and write it all down. Then I measure out the shot for each hull and drop the shot into the hull. I weigh again once all the shot has been added. Then I measure out the buffer, drop half in and vibrate. Then I drop the rest and vibrate again. I then weigh each shell again and record the weights. Then I roll crimp each shell in stages preventing the crimper from getting too hot. Then I do a final weight on each finished shell. This assures that each shell is the same and there aren’t any surprises. Others may have their own process, this is just the way I feel comfortable doing it and it’s worked well for 10 years of rolling my own. These shells shoot very good and they shoot the same in each 20 gauge gun I have. Each gun shoots the same load and the same constriction choke tube. I have my process for .410 and for 12 gauge as well. They are all just as consistent as my 20 gauge shells are. Starting out, I had issues with patterning and a few misses that shouldn’t have taken place. I really fine tuned my process and it helped tremendously. Maybe this will help others as well.

It seems like it takes me twice that long to do that many. I haven’t really figured out what matters and what doesn’t on the shotgun side, yet, like I have on the rifle side of reloading.
Posted By: teamduckdown

Re: 20 Gauge TSS - 03/20/23 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by ParrotHead89
Sell them to that bum in Florida that killed 30 birds. He would buy all of them. That would get him through one season

Sounds like a pretty good turkey hunter
© 2024 ALDEER.COM