Aldeer.com

Accepting defeat

Posted By: doghouse

Accepting defeat - 04/26/22 02:57 PM

I’m not there yet but getting real close to that point. I’ve heard a total of 3 different birds so far and killed one of those. Very thankful for him. I’ve had some off years in the past but none this bad. I don’t think it’s me but actually the turkeys—or lack thereof. Not sure what’s going on exactly. Anybody else struggling to find a willing contestant to play the game, or just hear a gobble or 2 for that matter? Not crying or whining because it is what it is. Just wondering if anyone else is having a rough go of it so far.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/26/22 03:01 PM

I’ve only found one willing to play the game and that was first couple days of season. I screwed it up and never killed him…..since then it’s like they’ve just vanished into thin air. 3 different properties in 2 diff counties. Finally heard a few gobbles this morning but not close or willing
Posted By: jacannon

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/26/22 03:14 PM

Most likely gobbled out. They been at it since Feb.
Posted By: Hevishot13

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/26/22 03:24 PM

It’s Alabama. Birds don’t run around gobbling everyday all long. Short bursts are all you will get if you get it. I’ve killed one bird that gobbled to the gun barrel. The rest never made a sound other than drumming. Learn what they do, just like deer hunting. Knowing where he is and will be is half the battle. I don’t get much time to hunt. If I waited only on gobbling birds, I’d end the season disappointed.

If you hunt them as if they never even had the ability to gobble, when they do actually gobble, you will already know where he’s been, where he’s going, and where you need to be in order to kill him.
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/26/22 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Hevishot13
It’s Alabama. Birds don’t run around gobbling everyday all long. Short bursts are all you will get if you get it. I’ve killed one bird that gobbled to the gun barrel. The rest never made a sound other than drumming. Learn what they do, just like deer hunting. Knowing where he is and will be is half the battle. I don’t get much time to hunt. If I waited only on gobbling birds, I’d end the season disappointed.

If you hunt them as if they never even had the ability to gobble, when they do actually gobble, you will already know where he’s been, where he’s going, and where you need to be in order to kill him.

Great post…I’d typed about 3 or 4 things trying to say the exact same thing but couldn’t phrase it right. Birds that won’t shut up just attract unnecessary attention from every Goober snatching fence jumping piddler in the area.
Posted By: Thread Killer

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/26/22 03:32 PM

Sir, I have a couple questions for you that need your brutal honesty. Will Topo maps be a tool that can relate to birds?

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/26/22 03:46 PM

I’ve tried that too Hevi with no luck. I’m not a true turkey killer like some folks but I’ve killed my share over the years. There’s very little sign of turkeys where I hunt this season. In years past it wasn’t hard to setup on a bird if you knew where to look and what to look for. There was some sign of where they had been and could kinda tell where they was going. Didn’t have to call or hear him gobble to kill him. Not the case this year. Very little sign in the woods and haven’t seen any hens nesting so far. Something is just off with them this year, at least where I hunt. Coming to the conclusion that you can’t kill what ain’t there. I hope that’s not the deal but I can’t put my finger on what exactly is going on.
Posted By: Bamarich2

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/26/22 03:53 PM

Like Thread Killer, I'd like some elaboration on your first paragraph. Earlier in my life, I hunted a lot of pasture areas and as a result, it was pretty easy to find birds when they weren't gobbling - just cruise fields until you find a gobbler loafing and go from there. Now, I hunt wooded areas and knowing where birds will be at any given time of the day OR time of the season is difficult to figure out. Would appreciate any insight you could lend to the situation.
Posted By: JUGHEAD

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/26/22 03:54 PM

And every one you kill by seeing him in a field or on a camera or sitting in a bunch of sign and getting him killed via whatever silent turkey method you choose is simply lessening the odds of hearing one gobble later that season and/or seasons that follow. Yes, someone else may kill him…..but if you individually do…it is a guarantee he will never be heard by you nor anyone else again. So in essence, you’re cutting off your nose to spite your face in the locales you hunt if more gobbling is something you desire (which you may not but I know I do). In these days of lessening turkey numbers, especially across Jackson County, I’m finding it more and more and more difficult to arrive at the proper balance of it all. These are simply not fun times for me compared to the years when turkeys that wanted to act halfway right were SO much easier to find, whether I killed them on that day or not.
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/26/22 03:54 PM

There's a difference between having silent birds and not having any birds at all. I'm used to being around silent birds ones that still leave tracks and poop and scratching but that's not the case this year they're literally no turkey sign in some places where there had been loads for the past 4 or 5 years straight. I think the past 2 years of covid hunting have really pushed forward the population issues are already occurring underneath the surface

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/26/22 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Thread Killer

Sir, I have a couple questions for you that need your brutal honesty. Will Topo maps be a tool that can relate to birds?

In certain situations, yes. Others, no. I know that’s vague but that’s the best way I can answer it. Big timber can show potential roost locations, but boots on the ground will provide proof or dismiss it. Habitat changes and timber types are the most important thing you can learn. But, knowing what timber types wild turkeys prefer during each phase of spring is something you will need to understand in order to use that information correctly.
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/26/22 04:07 PM

^^^ the God's honest gospel truth right there ... along these lines above by Hevi, i just uploaded this video - listen to how i'm approaching the bird i've nicknamed "Scaredy Cat" ... stop watching those glorious YouTube videos of birds "acting right" & hunt these aggravating Alabama birds w/a different technique - it will work

for all of you who have already posted saying your land doesn't have birds or they won't cooperate - PM me the address of your land & i'll do some investigation for you & report back to you on what i've found out smile Hevi can come with me, too

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/26/22 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Thread Killer

In certain situations, yes. Others, no. I know that’s vague but that’s the best way I can answer it. Big timber can show potential roost locations, but boots on the ground will provide proof or dismiss it. Habitat changes and timber types are the most important thing you can learn. But, knowing what timber types wild turkeys prefer during each phase of spring is something you will need to understand in order to use that information correctly.

I’ve been beating the brakes off this Pinhoti trail and these gas line brakes nearby. Walking 3-4 miles in a day. Seeing multiple hens, using soft non aggressive calling with a push button K&H and a MAD Boom Box. I see several scratch sights. Just can’t get a damn bird to gobble or even see proof of their existence other than dead pictures.
Posted By: johnv

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/26/22 04:21 PM

I guess I'm kinda the opposite. We never had turkeys. Trapped coons and opossums for 3 years pretty hard. All of a sudden we started seeing turkeys. I have more turkeys this year than ever before but that still isn't saying alot. I've let 7 jakes walk and had a coyote cut me off on one gobbling bird. At this point I have decided to start trapping again, plant some chuffa patches and hope its better next year.
Posted By: Semo

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/26/22 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by JUGHEAD

And every one you kill by seeing him in a field or on a camera or sitting in a bunch of sign and getting him killed via whatever silent turkey method you choose is simply lessening the odds of hearing one gobble later that season and/or seasons that follow. Yes, someone else may kill him…..but if you individually do…it is a guarantee he will never be heard by you nor anyone else again. So in essence, you’re cutting off your nose to spite your face in the locales you hunt if more gobbling is something you desire (which you may not but I know I do). In these days of lessening turkey numbers, especially across Jackson County, I’m finding it more and more and more difficult to arrive at the proper balance of it all. These are simply not fun times for me compared to the years when turkeys that wanted to act halfway right were SO much easier to find, whether I killed them on that day or not.

Seems like some birds gobble more and some rarely gobble. Maybe you should just take pictures of those birds that gobble more and shoot the silent ones. The rest of us want to hear them too.

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/26/22 04:29 PM

And every one you kill by seeing him in a field or on a camera and getting him killed via whatever silent turkey method you choose is simply lessening the odds of hearing one gobble later that season and/or seasons that follow. Yes, someone else may kill him…..but if you individually do…it is a guarantee he will never be heard by you nor anyone else again. So in essence, you’re cutting off your nose to spite your face in the locales you hunt if more gobbling is something you desire (which you may not but I know I do). In these days of lessening turkey numbers, especially across Jackson County, I’m finding it more and more and more difficult to arrive at the proper balance of it all. These are simply not fun times for me compared to the years when turkeys that wanted to act halfway right were SO much easier to find, whether I killed them on that day or not.

Yes but my desire is the result of facing reality. Every property excluding a few I’ve had the chance to hunt has never had gobbling turkeys running wild gobbling all day everyday. So, what are my choices? Sit at home with my pecker in my hand, go fishing, pay thousands of more dollars to hunt turkeys I dang well know aren’t going to gobble either, OR learn about the turkeys I have access to and use woodsmanship to kill them. Learning what the birds are going to do during each phase of spring helps me kill more turkeys than simply finding a gobbling bird. Do I love killing gobbling longbeards? Of course I do, it’s why I turkey hunt. Will I walk away from a turkey I know I can kill just because he won’t gobble? Of course I won’t. My job is to kill turkeys. If he’s there, I’m going to kill him. Turkeys move, predators will kill them, food sources change. I’m not waiting on a chance that he will gobble later in the season. Been there done that. Most cases he vanishes and those gobbles never exist later anyway. But, nevertheless, gobblers will gobble when the mood strikes them and they’re lonely. It may be 6:30 pm, 45 minutes before fly up, but the only way to know is to be close to him and to be there when he does gobble. You have to hunt all day, every chance you get. In the heat, in the rain, and in the wind.

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/26/22 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by dirkdaddy
There's a difference between having silent birds and not having any birds at all. I'm used to being around silent birds ones that still leave tracks and poop and scratching but that's not the case this year they're literally no turkey sign in some places where there had been loads for the past 4 or 5 years straight. I think the past 2 years of covid hunting have really pushed forward the population issues are already occurring underneath the surface

I’m not arguing with you by any means, just light hearted conversation. But to give you an example, one property I hunt I know has had 10 longbeards on it this season, 10+ jakes, and who knows how many hens. Since February, I’ve found just a few piles of scat, a few sets of gobbler tracks, and two dusting bowls. This is from February through today. Little to no feed sign , no feathers, no strut marks, whatever. Trail camera videos, pictures, and time lapse photos has proved the turkeys are there. And more importantly, when they are there. I never doubted the birds were there, but using those cameras told ME when to be there, then my eyes confirmed what the trail cameras had already shown.
Posted By: Turkeymaster

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/26/22 04:47 PM

I know where so many gobblers are and most will only gobble one time and or not gobble at all. Over the weekend I found multiple turkeys by getting close to hardwood fingers in the pines and hearing them drum. when the late season foliage fills in the turkeys lose tons of visibility on top of them being busted by numerous yotes/ bobcats and hunters all season making them "gobble shy". Out of the 17 trigger pulls I've seen this year only a handful of hunts had turkeys gobbling all the way to the barrel and most of them were in the first part of the season. the last two weeks have been mighty slow on gobbling, but you can still kill them if you know where they like to hang
Posted By: TDog93

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/26/22 04:48 PM

I can kill ‘em- I hav tagged out on some of the toughest WMAs Bama has

Right now I don’t hav a lot of birds - last 2 years they leave me a few days before season - the place got thinned and they stayed on me some early - but were henned up and would not talk - I hav called In One that gobble 5-6 times and I finally sat down to one that would gobble on 4/21 - first bird I had a chance to work - that is pitiful odds - then a 4 wheeler guy ran in place - Sunday birds were still gone - gobble way across the line - hope to hook back up w him before season over - last 3 seasons been brutal - I am desperately in need of spot upgrades

I did go to Tenn and shoot one w bow - other than that - pretty quick hunts m Bama if u don’t even sit down
Posted By: zgobbler5

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/26/22 04:50 PM

Spot on bamaguitar. Done every bit of that except the decoys. I just don't use them. I've hunted A LOT of public land over the years and you just about have to cut them off. There are times to get aggressive, but more times than not it is what you just described.

I also agree on your philosophy of shotguns and patterns. Too tight of a pattern can hurt you. Get him within 40 yds or closer. I like it. Great tips!

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/26/22 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Semo
Seems like some birds gobble more and some rarely gobble. Maybe you should just take pictures of those birds that gobble more and shoot the silent ones. The rest of us want to hear them too.
There are many things I would be willing to do for the sake of my hunting brethren. I promise you that will NEVER be one of them. 😬🤣

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/26/22 05:04 PM

There are many things I would be willing to do for the sake of my hunting brethren. I promise you that will NEVER be one of them. 😬🤣

You are just getting whiny and boujee the older you get 😁. Ain’t it hard to kill a turkey with that top hat and monocle? 🤣🤣

[Linked Image]

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/26/22 05:06 PM

There will be a time that the DCNR cuts our limit down to one. It’s not an if, it’s a when. When that times comes, I’ll hunt that perfect bird. But for now, I’ll kill them without discrimination.

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/26/22 05:19 PM

You are just getting whiny and boujee the older you get 😁. Ain’t it hard to kill a turkey with that top hat and monocle? 🤣🤣

[Linked Image]
Just older and a little and a different stage of life is all ol son. Eventually, your turkey blood thirst is most likely gonna wane too, you’ll know where a turkey is that you’re rather certain you could kill, and you’ll be in the exact same scenario I’m in. IE Concluding it aint a sin to let some of em live that most likely would be a dead ass if you made up your mind to bring it to pass. And that every minute spent trying to kill one that won’t act right is a minute that could be invested trying to find one that does. The truth is….ain’t neither one of us gonna starve with a few less turkey breasts in the freezer. 😁
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/26/22 05:27 PM

There will be a time that the DCNR cuts our limit down to one. It’s not an if, it’s a when. When that times comes, I’ll hunt that perfect bird. But for now, I’ll kill them without discrimination.

I think you are right about the limit eventually being 1, and it will probably get to the point of having to draw for a permit. Other states do it and use it to make money, so no reason to think AL won't. And more restrictions are certain to mean fewer turkeys. As folks have fewer opportunities, their interest in turkeys goes down and they will be less willing to spend the money to produce them.

I enjoyed hunting the first week of the season, but after that I gotta admit that my interest level went down. I've always done most of my hunting in March, and most of that is gone now and it's likely that all of it will be soon. April hunting just isn't as much fun, and May will be even less for the few who stay at it. I'm not talking about north AL; I have never hunted there. The later season may be ok for you folks.

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/26/22 05:27 PM

[Linked Image]
Just older and a little and a different stage of life is all ol son. Eventually, your turkey blood thirst is most likely gonna wane too, you’ll know where a turkey is that you’re rather certain you could kill, and you’ll be in the exact same scenario I’m in. IE Concluding it aint a sin to let some of em live that most likely would be a dead ass if you made up your mind to bring it to pass. And that every minute spent trying to kill one that won’t act right is a minute that could be invested trying to find one that does. The truth is….ain’t neither one of us gonna starve with a few less turkey breasts in the freezer. 😁

Perhaps you are right Chad. When Henry gets old enough to start, it’ll change. But until then, I’m gonna kill them without discrimination for as long as I can.

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/26/22 05:56 PM

^^^^
Most of my opportunities always seem to be within 45 yards predominantly - Bird i shot at 46 steps w bow this year my longest shot in last 3-4 years - don’t remember my last long shot
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/26/22 05:57 PM

Worst year in the last dozen on my place. No sign, no photos, no gobbling.

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/26/22 05:58 PM

And on public land - change your noise level way down and do lot less of it - power yelpers we’re abundant when I hunted public - out of the way spots worked bettr too

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/26/22 06:03 PM

Jlbuck - I am hearing that from some of my out of state buddies too - less turkey

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/26/22 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by zgobbler5
Spot on bamaguitar. Done every bit of that except the decoys. I just don't use them. I've hunted A LOT of public land over the years and you just about have to cut them off. There are times to get aggressive, but more times than not it is what you just described.

I also agree on your philosophy of shotguns and patterns. Too tight of a pattern can hurt you. Get him within 40 yds or closer. I like it. Great tips!

thx man - i learned to “like” silent birds from the start - my 1st bird never said a word ... most times when i go out w/new turkey hunters, i spend the majority of my time “breaking” them from wanting to hear gobbling ...

YouTube, in more ways than one, has ruined turkey hunters - at least AL hunters - ole Sawbriar posted a hunt w/a bow & i nearly fainted at how his birds acted! 🤣😂😃 mine dont do that much at all ... like i told a buddy, my birds usually come in like a prostitute at a police convention!
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/26/22 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by TDog93
Jlbuck - I am hearing that from some of my out of state buddies too - less turkey

This was in Bibb Co.

The 2 places I hunted in Florida were loaded this year with birds that wanted to die. One public, one private. Killed on the only 2 mornings I hunted
Posted By: Lockjaw

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/26/22 08:15 PM

I ambushed one the first weekend. Then I have struggled to get them to move. If I hear a gobble, and they respond, they sit tight. I got one on a field that showed up again yesterday, but they half heartedly gobble and thats about it. It was definitely better early in the season.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/26/22 09:49 PM

I dont quit til they quit ans i can usually still find a responsive bird in july…they are super easy to kill
Posted By: Here4fun

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/26/22 10:05 PM

This. I cut my teeth on Osceolas for 15 years. If you were waiting for a gobble youd be screwed. Heck if you hear one gobble in the Palmettos there he is usually already in sight and can see you even better . And I found they just did not gobble as much as other birds. But they love to spit and drum so you learn to listen hard for that.

I always tell people a Gobble is a sound a turkey makes less than .01 percent of his life. Luckily it mainly happens the most in the mating season or spring. But I hunt a 20 pound bird, not a sound.

I love a gobbling bird and will chase them like crazy when I hear them but if they arent gobbling I will slowly prospect around looking for sign and calling every 100 to 150 yards. If I see fresh scratching, I drop my butt to a tree and will set up and blind call for 45 minutes to an hour. Many times Ill just have a bird ease in and hear drumming sub consciously and then realize what it is.

Sometimes they just sneak in and gobbler cluck or contact cluck when they get there as if saying "Im here, where are you?" You have to learn to listen for just those contact clucks and spitting and drumming . That will help you kill birds.

I dont get caught up on gobbles. And even when I get one gobbling I try not to make him gobble much as to not attract other hunters or hens. I just make him gobble enough to shoot him.
Posted By: BC_Reb

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/27/22 06:00 AM

You’ve just gotta keep trying to kill them. This is the best time of the year
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/27/22 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by BC_Reb
Posted By: Gobble4me757

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/27/22 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by ridgestalker
Originally Posted by BC_Reb

I’ve had one of the toughest seasons I’ve had in 10 years…killed past 2/3 hunts. Don’t give up. Keep at it gentlemen.
Posted By: BrentM

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/27/22 09:33 PM

I’m just like JUGHEAD I reckon. I love turkey hunting more than anything and it doesn’t bother me a bit to walk around all day in the spring and look at GOD’s creation even if I don’t get to sit down to a turkey. I just don’t care a thing in the world about shooting one that didn’t gobble though.
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/27/22 10:36 PM

If they don’t gobble I don’t have fun and I hunt to have fun.

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/27/22 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Southwood7

with all due respect to you (& i mean that sincerely), it really surprises me to hear you say that, given that i know you mostly hunt public land & i always thought public land guys preferred for birds not to gobble much ... the “fun” of turkey hunting (for me) has always been the strategy & woodsmanship it takes to out-smart a bird - if they happen to gobble, it’s just a bonus to the fun it is to chase ‘em & beat ‘em at their game & on their own turf ...

some of my most memorable hunts are the ones where i’ve knocked off a really sly bird, esp when he thinks he’s being all cool & quiet, spitting & drumming, in full strut & the surprised look on his face when it gets filled full of lead 🤣. it’s fun to defeat a bird like that & walk out of the woods with him over the shoulder

i understand gobble addiction - i just don’t suffer from it at all & thought most public land hunters didnt either ... not trying to goad you or pick a fight - was just surprised to see you felt that way
Posted By: Semo

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/27/22 11:17 PM

This year sounds tough, but I've never experienced "The Alabama birds are tough" situation. They seem to gobble just fine. Much like public land birds anywhere you cant just drive in and whack them from the road (everyday). I do remember having trouble in the lower delta finding birds (without a boat) but where Ive hunted the last few years the burds were more vocal than up here in Missouri (where I hunt).
Posted By: Here4fun

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/27/22 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by BamaGuitarDude

with all due respect to you (& i mean that sincerely), it really surprises me to hear you say that, given that i know you mostly hunt public land & i always thought public land guys preferred for birds not to gobble much ... the “fun” of turkey hunting (for me) has always been the strategy & woodsmanship it takes to out-smart a bird - if they happen to gobble, it’s just a bonus to the fun it is to chase ‘em & beat ‘em at their game & on their own turf ...

some of my most memorable hunts are the ones where i’ve knocked off a really sly bird, esp when he thinks he’s being all cool & quiet, spitting & drumming, in full strut & the surprised look on his face when it gets filled full of lead 🤣. it’s fun to defeat a bird like that & walk out of the woods with him over the shoulder

i understand gobble addiction - i just don’t suffer from it at all

Im the same way. I got birds gobbling today on a new spot and right away some guy was owl hooting and crow calling like crazy at the two.

I hunt pieces that are private but only 220 and 210 acres, or smaller one of 40 acres or 30 acres. I cant walk all over those smaller ones. I go in , set up and blind call if none are gobbling. And the neighbors all around them are owl hooting, crow calling like crazy. There you have to just go it, grab a seat and try to make it work.

On the bigger pieces I will walk every inch of it though. But I still set up and blind call 3 to 4 times a day if i dont get on a gobbling bird.. And the one 220 acre piece has more folks calling from all the boundaries then state land has. These turkeys have been screamed at for weeks. I have to hunt sneaky, paranoid, cautious birds . And though I love hearing a bird gobble it works against me here.

Have to adjust to the situation and hunt accordingly.

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/27/22 11:30 PM

Don’t get me wrong, I’ll hang in there with a gobbler that doesn’t gobble much, but for me it HAS to start with a gobble. I also agree with you that the fun in turkey hunting is in the strategy and woodsmanship. BUT again, if they don’t gobble at least a little, I don’t care for it 😁

I’ve transitioned to hunting more on private land but still hunt public about half the time.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/27/22 11:32 PM

I don’t want them to gobble a lot on public land, as much as I like hearing it…..but damn, I need the bastards to at least gobble a couple times to let me know where the hell they are. I’m tired of hunting these mute-ass birds. I don’t have the luxury some folks have where they can pattern their turkeys and hunt them like deer, knowing exactly when and where they’ll be. Besides, there’s zero fun in deer hunting one and bushwhacking it. I don’t need them to gobble a hundred times to have “fun”, but I want it to be an interaction that brings them in, not just luck

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/27/22 11:41 PM

And just as a side note on the public public land gobbling discussion. I absolutely want the turkey to gobble on the roost so I can get in position. I might only hear one bird and have to cover a bunch of ground to get to him so I need him to at least gobble a few times along the way so I can make a good set up. Once I’m 100 yards from him and sitting down he can shut up 😁
Posted By: Atoler

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/27/22 11:56 PM

Time to spend in the woods, has a lot of influence on my "pickiness". When I hunted 40 days a season, I would go home if they weren't gobbling, or walk until I struck one. Now that I hunt 6-8x days a year in alabama, I'm not able to be as picky about the quality of the hunt. I'm not going to sit there and deer hunt them over decoys, but will sneak one or hang in there with a bird that is only gobbling every 2 hours.

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/28/22 01:46 AM

I’ve deer hunted them, outsmarted them if you want to call it that and every other way you can hunt them and I’ve had a lot of luck going those routes. That’s just not for me. What gets my motor running is the back and forth between me and a gobbler or a hen. The vocal interaction is what I enjoy. He doesn’t have to gobble every step he takes but the gobbling is the thrill of it for me. Knowing where he is when he gobbles the first couple times then when he gobbles again and he’s closing in on my location. Then he doesn’t gobble for several minutes and you know he’s close. Heart is pounding a thousand miles an hour and having to make myself breath normal. That’s the thrill for me. The adrenaline factor means everything to me when turkey hunting. Sure there’s a rush of adrenaline when I see him slipping through the woods when deer hunting them or waiting them out. Just not the same rush as going back and forth. If it means setting up a thousand times in different locations that makes its all the better. That big build of of talking back and forth and knowing that’s he coming to me is what fires me up. I’m not knocking or criticizing anyone that deer hunts them or waits them out or any other way of hunting. That’s just not what turkey hunting is to me. No doubt the way I hunt has cost me a lot of birds over the years by hunting the way I do, but it’s also killed a pile of birds over the years too.

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/28/22 02:20 AM

I am w U Southwood - I hv had a good hunt if I work a bird - heck yea it’s about the gobble - I try not to deer hunt them - I deer hunt in deer season - if I need to get around in front of them or get to where they like to be - I will - but I like working them the best. I think less is more w calling - but I still like to work one - that’s how u get better - experience - It all starts w having turkeys - I ain’t had many last 3 years - if u go and never hear - why go? I was delighted to hear one gobble 2-3 times today because he was on my property. I go for the thrill of working a bird - and thats why most people I know go and u can do the holier than though and Judge but I dang sure don’t hunt for u - the gobble is the thrill of the hunt - why I got into it. I love to see the woods wake up but I hope a gobbling turkey is a part of that and I love to see them strut and I love to see them flop

When I hunted public land - there was plenty of times he may only gobble few times - but that’s enough to call him in

And people hunt for their own reasons - not to make people on Aldeer happy

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/28/22 02:35 AM

This thread has got me rolling. Ain’t a dadgum one of you that wouldn’t pull the trigger on a gobbler in full strut at 30yds if he slipped in on you tight lipped. It’s easy to play Tom Kelly on ALDeer but when you’re in the woods and the only thing between you and a long beard crappie floppin’ is pulling the trigger, that bird is gonna get shot (or shot at 🤣) 100% of the time.

IMO, “Deer hunting” a bird is sitting in a blind watching a chufa plot or a decoy set
Posted By: BrentM

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/28/22 02:35 AM

Much respect Southwood

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/28/22 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by BCLC
This thread has got me rolling. Ain’t a dadgum one of you that wouldn’t pull the trigger on a gobbler in full strut at 30yds if he slipped in on you tight lipped. It’s easy to play Tom Kelly on ALDeer but when you’re in the woods and the only thing between you and a long beard crappie floppin’ is pulling the trigger, that bird is gonna get shot (or shot at 🤣) 100% of the time.

IMO, “Deer hunting” a bird is sitting in a blind watching a chufa plot or a decoy set

Well of course I’d shoot him! I would be happy I got him but a little sad that I didn’t get to hear him gobble and watch him strut.

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/28/22 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by BrentM
Much respect Southwood

Back at you!

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/28/22 03:30 AM

Well of course I’d shoot him! I would be happy I got him but a little sad that I didn’t get to hear him gobble and watch him strut.

beers

I totally understand and really just having a little fun with it. You’re a turkey machine, love your pics.

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/28/22 06:33 AM

I saw a Tom about 20 yards of the road in an undisclosed rural location and I gotta say. Temptation is a mother. I told him he didn’t know how lucky he was. The old me woulda done it differently.

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/28/22 11:39 AM

let’s say i phone you & say - “hey man, i know it’s been tough on you - i’m tagged out & can’t go - but i’ve got a bird for ya - best estimate, he’s a 3-4 yo gobbler, long spurs & beard drags the ground, prob’ll weigh 25 lbs ... he’s always by himself in this one spot he stays in all day - never gobbles & runs from your calling”

just so i’m understanding y’all - what i’m hearing is you’ll say - “NAH man, thank you - i’ve got this $200 box call & unless i get to blow the chalk slap off it & have an interaction w/the bird & he runs to my barrel gobbling & strutting, i dont want ‘em”

am i hearing y’all right? if you say yes - you’re a lying SOB & the truth ain’t in you 🤣😂💩🦃

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/28/22 01:01 PM

beers

I totally understand and really just having a little fun with it. You’re a turkey machine, love your pics.

I’m having fun to! We all love turkeys.

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/28/22 01:03 PM

let’s say i phone you & say - “hey man, i know it’s been tough on you - i’m tagged out & can’t go - but i’ve got a bird for ya - best estimate, he’s a 3-4 yo gobbler, long spurs & beard drags the ground, prob’ll weigh 25 lbs ... he’s always by himself in this one spot he stays in all day - never gobbles & runs from your calling”

just so i’m understanding y’all - what i’m hearing is you’ll say - “NAH man, thank you - i’ve got this $200 box call & unless i get to blow the chalk slap off it & have an interaction w/the bird & he runs to my barrel gobbling & strutting, i dont want ‘em”

am i hearing y’all right? if you say yes - you’re a lying SOB & the truth ain’t in you 🤣😂💩🦃

Is this a theoretical question or do you really know where this bird is located? 😉😂

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/28/22 01:09 PM

lol lol lol

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/28/22 01:27 PM

Is this a theoretical question or do you really know where this bird is located? 😉😂

that's what i thought ... rofl

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/28/22 02:08 PM

Any story can can be made up after the trigger is pulled, keep that in mind boys 😀

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/28/22 02:28 PM

let's face it - do we ALL wish these AL birds were "easier" to hunt - YES ... i even prayed the other morning - "Lord, PLEASE send me an easy one" & what did i get?? freakin' Scaredy Cat gobbling like mad & skirting me at 60 yards
i've personally heard MORE gobbling this year than i have in over 20 years of turkey hunting - let that statement sink WAY IN for all of you ... the translation to kills, however, has not happened
you can't rely on gobbling to kill a turkey - it's a truth that the quicker you accept, the quicker you can move on & develop into a turkey hunter/killer who has consistent results year over year
developing the skills required to take a tough bird - when everybody else is crying in their beers - takes persistence, patience, and superb woodsmanship - there was a thread similar to this 5 years ago on here & i cut the video response below on my YT channel

the "tough birds" are usually worth it - and i'll argue to my grave - THEY ARE FUN AS HELL & usually the stories of those hunts are book-worthy

Posted By: Lockjaw

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/28/22 02:29 PM

I had a gobbler sit down and nest right in front of my cell camera yesterday!!
Posted By: gcr0003

Re: Accepting defeat - 04/29/22 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by GomerPyle

I don’t want them to gobble a lot on public land, as much as I like hearing it…..but damn, I need the bastards to at least gobble a couple times to let me know where the hell they are. I’m tired of hunting these mute-ass birds. I don’t have the luxury some folks have where they can pattern their turkeys and hunt them like deer, knowing exactly when and where they’ll be. Besides, there’s zero fun in deer hunting one and bushwhacking it. I don’t need them to gobble a hundred times to have “fun”, but I want it to be an interaction that brings them in, not just luck

Don’t get me wrong, I’ll hang in there with a gobbler that doesn’t gobble much, but for me it HAS to start with a gobble. I also agree with you that the fun in turkey hunting is in the strategy and woodsmanship. BUT again, if they don’t gobble at least a little, I don’t care for it 😁

I’ve transitioned to hunting more on private land but still hunt public about half the time.

Yep, it’s hard to do when you don’t hear a single gobble.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM