Aldeer.com

There are to many turkey hunters

Posted By: Southwood7

There are to many turkey hunters - 04/07/21 09:13 PM

Is it to much to ask to hunt on a Wednesday and have a few thousand acres of public land to myself 😂?

I miss the pre covid days when folks weren’t working from home.
Posted By: sj22

Re: There are to many turkey hunters - 04/07/21 09:15 PM

I wish my job allowed that working from home crap
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: There are to many turkey hunters - 04/07/21 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by sj22

I wish my job allowed that working from home crap

Me too bud!

Re: There are to many turkey hunters - 04/07/21 10:36 PM

I took a couple hours PTO this morning to hunt and dang if people weren’t everywhere.
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: There are to many turkey hunters - 04/07/21 10:58 PM

Haha you think they’re a lot there! try central Florida open permit land. There was 6 groups on 1100 acres last weekend! 3-4 trucks at every parking spot on other places. I’ve heard 1 gobble and seen 3 hens in 5 trips

Re: There are to many turkey hunters - 04/07/21 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by jlbuc10
Haha you think they’re a lot there! try central Florida open permit land. There was 6 groups on 1100 acres last weekend! 3-4 trucks at every parking spot on other places. I’ve heard 1 gobble and seen 3 hens in 5 trips

Ok, I’m being a little dramatic 😀
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: There are to many turkey hunters - 04/08/21 12:10 AM

During the week is when the local outlaws run properties like mine that I can’t be there all the time. My neighbor told me this morning he heard a shot from what he thought was my property. That will be about my luck. I’ve been saving my place for this weekend for mine and my wife’s anniversary we were gonna go turkey hunt and try to get her on her first and now I probably won’t have chit to hunt
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: There are to many turkey hunters - 04/08/21 12:19 AM

That “shot” coulda been a car bac fire. A snake getting shot in a road. Many things. People get paranoid too easy over so called poacher shots.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: There are to many turkey hunters - 04/08/21 01:33 AM

Theys been too many for a long time
Posted By: TDog93

Re: There are to many turkey hunters - 04/08/21 02:12 AM

Popular sport Southwood that ton of folks hav gotten into - super crowded
Posted By: FlyinRN

Re: There are to many turkey hunters - 04/08/21 04:04 AM

But Chuck says introduce someone new to hunting. 😬😜
Posted By: Gobl4me

Re: There are to many turkey hunters - 04/08/21 08:42 AM

Thanks YouTube/social media. Pimping public turkey hunting for likes and $ has consequences. Goes like this.....More hunters. More non resident hunters. More regulations. Fewer gobblers. Earlier alarm clocks. More permit draws. Higher licenses $. Later seasons. Lower limits. 1 turkey in first week of season. Etc etc.

Ask any real turkey hunter if they’ve heard any turkeys......answer will be NO. They sure as hell don’t put it on YouTube for a hundred thousand people to watch and attempt to mimic. Alabama has been pimped harder than anywhere and it’s only going to get worst. Quit giving them views/likes and maybe they will go back to their parents basement.
Posted By: deerhunt1988

Re: There are to many turkey hunters - 04/08/21 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Gobl4me
Thanks YouTube/social media. Pimping public turkey hunting for likes and $ has consequences. Goes like this.....More hunters. More non resident hunters. More regulations. Fewer gobblers. Earlier alarm clocks. More permit draws. Higher licenses $. Later seasons. Lower limits. 1 turkey in first week of season. Etc etc.

Ask any real turkey hunter if they’ve heard any turkeys......answer will be NO. They sure as hell don’t put it on YouTube for a hundred thousand people to watch and attempt to mimic. Alabama has been pimped harder than anywhere and it’s only going to get worst. Quit giving them views/likes and maybe they will go back to their parents basement.

Spot on. There are consequences and I'm afraid the worst is yet to come.
Posted By: level5

Re: There are to many turkey hunters - 04/08/21 10:16 AM

I haven't heard or seen a gobbler in several seasons. I go to help the neighbors who can't stay on their property from wasting their time on our place.
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: There are to many turkey hunters - 04/08/21 11:18 AM

Two words: filming permit.

As far as I see it, these youtube channels are using a public resource to make money. That's not how it should be. I have to admit I do like watching the youtube hunters, but they are all getting a "free lunch" right now in terms of the ability to film and distribute it and to make a living (or part of a living) off of a publicly funded and managed resource. Make it illegal to film with the intent to distribute and make money without a valid permit, and make the permit a grand or so. Problem solved. There's only one place these videos are being uploaded, so checking for a permit either before or after the fact should be easy peasy.
Posted By: Duck Engr

Re: There are to many turkey hunters - 04/08/21 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by dirkdaddy

Two words: filming permit.

As far as I see it, these youtube channels are using a public resource to make money. That's not how it should be. I have to admit I do like watching the youtube hunters, but they are all getting a "free lunch" right now in terms of the ability to film and distribute it and to make a living (or part of a living) off of a publicly funded and managed resource. Make it illegal to film with the intent to distribute and make money without a valid permit, and make the permit a grand or so. Problem solved. There's only one place these videos are being uploaded, so checking for a permit either before or after the fact should be easy peasy.

I want to say missouri already has a rule similar to that, although I don’t think there’s a permit available. The law says you can’t monetize anything filmed on public land.

Re: There are to many turkey hunters - 04/08/21 12:03 PM

People used to not want everbody to know ther whole life story..now they tell everbody an their brother where a gobblin turkey is. Dont they know thats a good way to get one limb launched

Re: There are to many turkey hunters - 04/08/21 12:13 PM

I hav not had a decent spot since Kinterbish was sold - how do u sell a public WMA?

I ain’t really had a good spot since late 90s early 2000s in state and I May hunt next 20 years and not hav good spot - I am going to hav to go find and learn new public land. Had ton of feelers out - but it hard to find good spot. The 650 I had several years ago - I could hav tagged out by first of April multiple years - took buddy so he could shoot even let Turkey walk off cause he did not shoot - it hard to find good spots like that. Right now I got my neighbors bird to hint across a creek 🤣

Right now I had one good hunt where I was in the game and it should hav worked out but did not and another time I got luck finding a single late and got him

Things may change if my best spot opens up from logging but guys try to poach it - lot of hunters out there - woods full of them and we selling wmas
Posted By: buzzard

Re: There are to many turkey hunters - 04/08/21 12:33 PM

Been to many for years. I'm not introducing anybody new to the sport, in fact I tell people that it sucks and don't do it. I tell them to take up fishing.
Same thing happened to duck hunting back in the late 90's early 2000's
Posted By: gradythemachine

Re: There are to many turkey hunters - 04/08/21 12:40 PM

the half dozen times ive been to my WMA ive only seen one other guy, and he said I was the only guy he had seen out there. If you dont go on weekends it definitely helps.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: There are to many turkey hunters - 04/08/21 12:53 PM

If you think dave owens from pinhoti aint a real turkey hunter you are nuts
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: There are to many turkey hunters - 04/08/21 12:59 PM

I think the latest THP video from georgia should serve as fair warning as to what could happen here. It sounds like the hunting in Georgia is pretty terrible. The wmas are dominated by quota hunts and there is very little actual open public to go hunt. Piss on all that but it won't shock me a bit when stuff like that is presented at cab meetings as a way to fix the Turkey population.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: There are to many turkey hunters - 04/08/21 01:19 PM

I have a love/hate relationship with the youtube guys. I mean if I could make a living doing what they do, I'd do it in a heartbeat and so would everyone else here. Anyone that says otherwise is lying. And I enjoy watching them...but I hate what it's done to turkey hunting in general. I wish they'd at least be more vague about where they are...not even mention a state.
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: There are to many turkey hunters - 04/08/21 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by dirkdaddy
I think the latest THP video from georgia should serve as fair warning as to what could happen here. It sounds like the hunting in Georgia is pretty terrible. The wmas are dominated by quota hunts and there is very little actual open public to go hunt. Piss on all that but it won't shock me a bit when stuff like that is presented at cab meetings as a way to fix the Turkey population.

ya, i saw that & was thinking the exact same thing - thought it was interesting that GA published all their stats online to "justify" that model, too ... thought I heard Aaron say they were going to see this Dr Chamberlain dude
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: There are to many turkey hunters - 04/08/21 01:46 PM

nothing, good or bad, done on just WMAs will change anything about turkey hunting across Alabama
Posted By: zgobbler5

Re: There are to many turkey hunters - 04/08/21 01:58 PM

I took off work Tuesday and Wednesday because of decent weather days. I hunt public in NW Florida. It is the worse pressure I have seen in years. There were more people there in the middle of the week than I have ever seen and heard. But hey, what do you expect, it is public. Makes me think twice about going ahead and paying a couple grand to hunt somewhere decent. It seems it is going to take that much around these parts.
Posted By: Fishduck

Re: There are to many turkey hunters - 04/08/21 02:39 PM

Can't really comment on the WMA/National Forrest situation because I hunt private. Turkey hunting in general is more popular. Just try and buy Apex shells after April 1st if you don't believe.

As always there are those that are outlaws. The last 3 years I have run off or caught red handed 4 different turkey poachers. They are typically dropped off and call for their ride when they get through poaching. Very hard for the game wardens to catch. If you are not hunting a tract of property, it is safe to assume someone else is.
Posted By: oldbowhunter

Re: There are to many turkey hunters - 04/08/21 03:04 PM

Too many hunters for sure. It’s almost impossible to lease good turkey land. Almost.

Every year for 20 years I would ask a guy at work if he would lease me the turkey rights on his 900
acres. He always said no but if he leased it he would offer it to me first.

Last February he came in my office and asked if I still wanted it. I tried to sound calm when I said YES.

I got a young guy at work that hunts with me a good bit to go in on the lease with me. It’s a turkey
hunters Paradise.

We only hunt it when we both can go. We have hunted it 5 times and killed 4 gobblers this year.

Dreams do come true.
Posted By: zgobbler5

Re: There are to many turkey hunters - 04/08/21 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by oldbowhunter
Too many hunters for sure. It’s almost impossible to lease good turkey land. Almost.

Every year for 20 years I would ask a guy at work if he would lease me the turkey rights on his 900

Last February he came in my office and asked if I still wanted it. I tried to sound calm when I said YES.

I got a young guy at work that hunts with me a good bit to go in on the lease with me. It’s a turkey
hunters Paradise.

We only hunt it when we both can go. We have hunted it 5 times and killed 4 gobblers this year.

Dreams do come true.

You have given me hope. I have a guy I ask every year, going on 10 years now. Maybe, just maybe.
Posted By: cartervj

Re: There are to many turkey hunters - 04/08/21 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by oldbowhunter

hunters Paradise.

Dreams do come true.

I used to be fortunate enough to hunt a similar type place. We’d take 10 a year easily and had plenty leftover. My buddy died and it ended, that place is lucky to have 1or 2 gobblers on it these days.
Posted By: dBmV

Re: There are to many turkey hunters - 04/08/21 04:06 PM

Y'all don't know how good you have it in alabama. When I lived in pennsylvania, I hunted public land. There's some decent hunting up there but WAY too many people. After I moved back home the first thing I did after renting a house was start looking for private land and I never stopped. There's land out there to be had but you have to have money in hand when you find it.
Posted By: Orion34

Re: There are to many turkey hunters - 04/08/21 04:18 PM

I think Rinella got it right!

https://www.themeateater.com/hunt/big-game/the-case-against-hunter-recruitment
Posted By: Gobl4me

Re: There are to many turkey hunters - 04/08/21 04:19 PM

“If you think dave owens from pinhoti aint a real turkey hunter you are nuts“

He is a attention whore like the others. Pimping public land for profit....yet the profit is peanuts. If you think what they are doing is good for turkeys and turkey hunters your nuts. Turkey hunting going viral/ fad is a Got Dang shame. Get ready for more regulations.....and for those of us that have been traveling for years and years get ready for more quota, high licenses, and more intrusive regulations. Data is be compiled by wildlife managers on this very issue. You think Wisconsin permit applications nearly doubling the year after Pinhoti pimped it is a coincidence? You think Mississippi having a 30+% increase on the exact wma/forest after THP pimped it last year is a coincidence?

Re: There are to many turkey hunters - 04/08/21 06:02 PM

Good for you Oldbowhunter - that’s awesome - great story - having them makes the fun possible and that sounds like the 650 I use to hav

I would hav settled to just still hav the WMA in chocktaw county - I could take multiple off that yearly

Re: There are to many turkey hunters - 04/08/21 10:47 PM

Kinterbish was a goodun..probly one of the best there ever was..i only hunted there a few times when i was a little feller..but they was critters galore there
Posted By: turkey247

Re: There are to many turkey hunters - 04/08/21 11:01 PM

Kinterbish was in south Sumter. WMA’s are mostly private owned, and the landowner graciously lets the state use it for public hunting. The state didn’t sell anything, the landowner took it out of the system for whatever reason. Could have changed owners and new owners took it out.

SW AL is a big void of public hunting. We had Scotch, and due to - let’s just say - some issues that were unnecessary - the family took it out of the system. And I don’t blame them. Now - it is high dollar clubs the average man just cannot afford. A sad story to be sure. Hunters lost in the end.

Re: There are to many turkey hunters - 04/08/21 11:11 PM

People respected your truck at Kinterbish - it had bunch of birds - the last year I was there I tagged out and at end of season I prob knew the location of a dozen gobblers and knew land very well

Had no idea that how WMA works turkey247 - good info

It’s funny - I prob had 1/2 dozen places like Kinterbish turkey hunting (good place w turkeys) and I think - this will last for ever and it over in no time 🤣 nothing lasts w turkey hunting it seems - I always looking
Posted By: General

Re: There are to many turkey hunters - 04/09/21 01:52 AM

You need turkey hunters to keep the train rolling on habitat management but there is a line where there are too many hunters. No matter how well you manage the land it will only carry so many birds.
Posted By: Phil_Army

Re: There are to many turkey hunters - 04/10/21 02:54 AM

You just gotta move from "the public" to "the private"
Posted By: Ridge Life

Re: There are to many turkey hunters - 04/10/21 03:08 AM

What the heck is the difference in “private” and “public”. If I don’t hold a dead bird tomorrow there will most likely be one less
For the rest of the season
Posted By: Ridge Life

Re: There are to many turkey hunters - 04/10/21 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Fishduck
Can't really comment on the WMA/National Forrest situation because I hunt private. Turkey hunting in general is more popular. Just try and buy Apex shells after April 1st if you don't believe.

As always there are those that are outlaws. The last 3 years I have run off or caught red handed 4 different turkey poachers. They are typically dropped off and call for their ride when they get through poaching. Very hard for the game wardens to catch. If you are not hunting a tract of property, it is safe to assume someone else is.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: There are to many turkey hunters - 04/10/21 04:03 AM

Phil army’s a dumbass. Just cause he’s killed a few turkeys by watching trail cams and sitting in tents now he’s a know it all. Again. Disregard him on turkey anything
Posted By: Phil_Army

Re: There are to many turkey hunters - 04/10/21 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag
Phil army’s a dumbass. Just cause he’s killed a few turkeys by watching trail cams and sitting in tents now he’s a know it all. Again. Disregard him on turkey anything

This guy is a moron. Too easy 🪝 🎣
© 2024 ALDEER.COM