Aldeer.com

Public hunting etiquette

Posted By: Hogtoe

Public hunting etiquette - 02/23/21 01:18 AM

This is my first year turkey hunting public land and I’m curious about the etiquette people “should” use when they are hunting public, like parking at the gate etc..
Posted By: AC870

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 02/23/21 01:26 AM

If someone is at a spot, go find another spot.
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 02/23/21 01:27 AM

Mainly just use common sense and treat others how you would want to be treated.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 02/23/21 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Southwood7

It really is that simple......or, at least, it oughta be
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 02/23/21 02:33 AM

Hunt weekdays and let the weekend crowd have at it.

If someone is at a gate I go on. If someone is working a bird I go on. Well, unless it sounds horrible and they have no hope of killing him. Then I might play from a distance. 😁
Posted By: Ridge Life

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 02/23/21 06:27 AM

Just breathe
Posted By: Gobl4me

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 02/23/21 12:05 PM

Keep it quiet. Don’t pimp your hunts on the internet for attention. Loose lips sink ships
Posted By: oldandwise

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 02/23/21 01:01 PM

if someone at ur spot make as much noise as possible horn blowing gunfire. Engine reving
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 02/23/21 01:11 PM

If you go in expecting other to abide by your etiquette then you’ll be sorely disappointed
Public land is fair chase with no ground rules when I comes to respecting other hunters especially during turkey season
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 02/23/21 02:42 PM

there is no such thing in real life on public land turkey hunting.
Posted By: Mtnmanyeldarb

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 02/23/21 03:10 PM

Yes. Well said. I normally bring a box of clays and shoot skeet when I see a truck parked at my honey hole.
Posted By: zgobbler5

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 02/23/21 03:39 PM

Just be prepared to bite your lip and go to another spot at times. I have several, and I mean several spots. Plan for plan A,B,C, and so forth. It really is not worth a turkey for somebody to get shot or shot at. I have had times where people cut me off. It happens, generally, you can avoid situations like that. As in, don't hunt public land.

But as stated, The Golden Rule. If someone beats you to a spot, get there earlier the next day or come back later after they leave. Many management areas in Alabama close at 1:00. Some of the best hunting on public ground can be from 10:00am-1:00pm. Florida finally allowed hunting all day on some public land. I know there are pros and cons to this, but it allows me to get some hunting in later in the day either after work or during bad weather days. What I have found through the years hunting public land is most folks won't hang with them. They get frustrated and leave too early or hunt the first two weeks of the season and slack off(which I am selfishly thankful for). Outlaws are going to be outlaws no matter what law is passed.

I try to get a lot of scouting in from year-to-year. Get your boots on the ground and put your time in, use the golden rule, and be patient.
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 02/23/21 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mbrock

COVID changed that last season ... but in a NORMAL year, what Matt said ... far less competition during the weekdays - everywhere
Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 02/23/21 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mtnmanyeldarb
Yes. Well said. I normally bring a box of clays and shoot skeet when I see a truck parked at my honey hole.
Solid first post. You'll fit in well here.
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 02/23/21 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by BhamFred

beat me to it.

"Turkey hunting public land" and "etiquette" are never used in the same sentence unless the phrase "lack thereof" is in there somewhere. At least that's been my experience.

Dr. B

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 02/23/21 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by deadeye48
If you go in expecting other to abide by your etiquette then you’ll be sorely disappointed
Public land is fair chase with no ground rules when I comes to respecting other hunters especially during turkey season

Originally Posted by BhamFred

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 02/23/21 09:03 PM

And always know where the back door leads
Posted By: Davyalabama

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 02/23/21 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by GomerPyle

It really is that simple......or, at least, it oughta be
. You did ask for proper etiquette, and these two have it correct. The problem is the type of people you may experience, they may not have the same "common sense" or "courtesy" as you. Hunt during the week if you can, you may find it is easier to find a place without someone bumping you.
Posted By: Hevishot13

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 02/23/21 11:17 PM

If I beat you to a gate, please go find another area.
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 02/23/21 11:29 PM

Do unto others as they have done unto you....
Posted By: swamp_fever2002

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 02/24/21 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mbrock

If someone is at a gate I go on. If someone is working a bird I go on. Well, unless it sounds horrible and they have no hope of killing him. Then I might play from a distance. 😁

I like your style laugh
Posted By: Atoler

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 02/24/21 01:01 AM

9/10 guys hunting public land have all the courtesy and class in the world. But the other 10% make you want to pull your hair out.
Posted By: Semo

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 02/24/21 01:10 AM

You guys get outta the truck on public? Amateurs
Posted By: DoeMaster

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 02/24/21 01:40 AM

If you ever hear a Turkey gobble, keep your mouth shut and don’t tell a soul. Don’t post a word about any public ground anywhere in the state on this forum or any other online place. I will never understand why guys continue to come on here and throw out names of management areas, even if they’re lying/joking.
Posted By: turkey247

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 02/24/21 01:42 AM

Y’all don’t know rude until you hunt Midwest public land next to some Amish folk. And their turkey hunting style is........let’s just say, very unique.
Posted By: duxlayer

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 02/24/21 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by DoeMaster
If you ever hear a Turkey gobble, keep your mouth shut and don’t tell a soul. Don’t post a word about any public ground anywhere in the state on this forum or any other online place. I will never understand why guys continue to come on here and throw out names of management areas, even if they’re lying/joking.

Learned this the hard way on deer hunting . Don’t send pictures , I Didn’t see nothing , didn’t kill nothing . Or just ride around and road hunt like everybody else and don’t even pay for a club .
Posted By: zgobbler5

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 02/24/21 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by turkey247
Y’all don’t know rude until you hunt Midwest public land next to some Amish folk. And their turkey hunting style is........let’s just say, very unique.

Please tell. I need a good Amish hunting story.

Originally Posted by Atoler
9/10 guys hunting public land have all the courtesy and class in the world. But the other 10% make you want to pull your hair out.

I agree. Opening day last year I got to a spot super early. Had two different turkey hunters that walked up to where I was at. One waited til right at daybreak. They kindly backed out and went somewhere else. I ended up killing a good bird that morning. Had a 12" beard and 1 1/8" spurs. I asked the Good Lord to bless them with a turkey. I can't tell you how many times I tucked my tail and went somewhere else, knowing someone else beat me to a good spot. There are some bad ones, most folks are decent people though.
Posted By: Turkeyboy

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 03/03/21 02:56 PM

Parked at the entrance to a small management area in Missouri mid morning. When I got out of my truck I heard a terrible rooster crow. There was an Amish farm house just down the road and I saw a kid sitting on the porch, figured he was messing with me. No, he was signaling to someone across the road in the management area who was on a small plot. I saw him walk at a fast clip and cross the road. I walked in and walked down to the end of the small plot and found corn.
The rooster crow was a signal. They do not feel they have to have a license and apparently poach the edges a good bit according to the breakfast table at one of the local cafes.
Posted By: General

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 03/04/21 02:43 AM

It’s a wonder more folks aren’t shot during turkey season on public land over a dispute.

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 03/04/21 02:49 AM

Just smile and wave
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 03/04/21 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by General
It’s a wonder more folks aren’t shot during turkey season on public land over a dispute.

I just poop on their windshield
Posted By: turkey247

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 03/04/21 03:32 AM

Most clubs around here have more hunting pressure than public land. That’s real drama - when you actually know the “other guy”.
Posted By: TDog93

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 03/04/21 03:40 AM

Kinterbish WMA use to be nice - but it does not exsist anymore - people would respect your vehicle and it had birds - I would take multiple birds there a year for years in chocktaw county

I hav been to others that still exsist where people act stupid

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 03/04/21 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by General

I just poop on their windshield

You see his profile pic!!
Posted By: outdoors1

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 03/04/21 09:03 AM

Hunt and don't get shot and don't shoot nobody! Nobody don't look like a Turkey. Otherwise, let the games begin! Oh, beware of the out of state folks, some take off for weeks just turkey hunt here. It is worse than a deer obsession, I think.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 03/04/21 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by turkey247
Most clubs around here have more hunting pressure than public land. That’s real drama - when you actually know the “other guy”.

I found that true too. And most clubs have rules about showing respect and some will take advantage of them. I had a spot I liked to hunt on a club and one season there was already a vehicle at the gate. The next day he beat me there again. And the next. I was coming home from a meeting that night and decided to ride by there at 10 pm, and yep, vehicle was still there. The guy just parked it there and left it. His spot.
Posted By: TDog93

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 03/04/21 02:37 PM

PoorCountrypreacher - crap like that goes on so much in clubs - it’s crazy

I was in club one time - I got there like 4 am to beat the guy in to spot where they were hammering and he had beat me morning before - he was already signed in - I had to ride by the spot where he signed out cause u had to park at main road and walk in - he was not there - I waited on him and he finally drove up - he said U caught me - I signed out last nite - he went home but I offered him to sit w me even though what he did was prick move - he declined

It blows my mind what people try to get away with and doing that stupid crap never enters my mind
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 03/04/21 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by outdoors1
Hunt and don't get shot and don't shoot nobody! Nobody don't look like a Turkey. Otherwise, let the games begin! Oh, beware of the out of state folks, some take off for weeks just turkey hunt here. It is worse than a deer obsession, I think.

Truth. there was a guy from New York hunting one of our WMA's last year the entire season. I saw his truck opening week, once about midway through, and saw it on the last week on the same road I had been seeing him previously.
Posted By: redgineer

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 03/05/21 04:55 AM

Damn guys, I was thinking of turkey hunting public land this year, but am having second thoughts. It sounds like your permissible self defense pistol should be a braced AR.
Posted By: 87v6bird

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 03/05/21 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by dirkdaddy

Truth. there was a guy from New York hunting one of our WMA's last year the entire season. I saw his truck opening week, once about midway through, and saw it on the last week on the same road I had been seeing him previously.

White van? He was there last year all season too.
Posted By: CKyleC

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 03/05/21 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by redgineer
Damn guys, I was thinking of turkey hunting public land this year, but am having second thoughts. It sounds like your permissible self defense pistol should be a braced AR.

Don't forget your plate carrier and a reload
Posted By: deerhunt1988

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 03/06/21 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by 87v6bird
Originally Posted by dirkdaddy

White van? He was there last year all season too.

I immediately thought "white van" as well. Hes not very friendly!!!!
Posted By: 87v6bird

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 03/06/21 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by deerhunt1988

I immediately thought "white van" as well. Hes not very friendly!!!!

I've never had the pleasure of meeting him.

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 03/06/21 01:37 PM

I think it was a blue van, can't remember exactly. Maybe white
Posted By: JA

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 03/06/21 04:31 PM

All these stories make me appreciate not having to hunt public land although I was thinking about trying the Tuskegee National Forest because it’s close by. Maybe I’ll pass.
Posted By: hootn

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 03/06/21 07:42 PM

I've been hunting forest land since 1990. Been a few times where I ran I to someone not that many.
My thing is folks riding roads stopping and calling after they slam doors talking before sending some calls out. Been a many times I've had they folks send a gobbler running to other way.
My biggest problem I have is the number of folks who don't know how to run a owl call, crow call.
I left the woods once looking for a guy who had no idea what he was doing other than shutting them up. I was going to break that call.

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 03/06/21 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by hootn
I've been hunting forest land since 1990. Been a few times where I ran I to someone not that many.
My thing is folks riding roads stopping and calling after they slam doors talking before sending some calls out. Been a many times I've had they folks send a gobbler running to other way.
My biggest problem I have is the number of folks who don't know how to run a owl call, crow call.
I left the woods once looking for a guy who had no idea what he was doing other than shutting them up. I was going to break that call.

Lmao, so friggin true. Those turkeys know exactly what's going on when they hear that gravel pop, door slam, and then some ole boy getting his "hooo-wah!" on. It's downright embarrassing some of those people call themselves hunters. And the woods is slam full them. Hell, I hate the way my own owl call sounds, but some of these folks are just painful to listen to.
Posted By: bill

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 03/10/21 04:21 AM

I hunted a couple different public land spots here in Tennessee all last season. Probably put in 25 days total between the two , mostly weekdays. Only had 2 encounters where someone tried to park near me and hunt the same birds I was on. One backed out when he saw me but tried to circle around on the next ridge. I walked straight to the turkey and ran him off and killed him a couple weeks later. (At least I think it was the same bird based on his distinct gobble) The other guy drove up on me about 45 minutes before daylight and asked where I was going. We were already within 300 yards of the property line so I told him I was gonna sit there and listen and go whichever direction the first bird gobbled. He looked at me like I had two heads and just sat there staring straight ahead for the next few seconds then backed out and left. I think he thought I was being unreasonable. He beat me to that spot the following 2 mornings and I just backed out and went elsewhere. Other than that I had very few encounters with other hunters. I imagine I'd have a lot more issues if I didn't have the luxury of hunting weekdays and leaving the weekends alone.

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 03/10/21 06:20 PM

Saw my first NY tags today near some public hunting ground. Out of staters are getting fired up early
Posted By: Semo

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 03/10/21 06:46 PM

What about open gates? If I drive down a road and someone is pulled off at mile 1 of a 4 miles road can I just drive a mile farther and start hunting or has that whole road system now belong to The 1st truck inside a gate?

Re: Public hunting etiquette - 03/10/21 07:08 PM

Golden rule. Give the person as much room as you'd want. It's not complicated. If it's public chances are they are terrible at hunting anyway and you don't want to be near them.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM