Aldeer.com

Who has not

Posted By: Ridge Life

Who has not - 11/14/20 12:36 AM

Who has NOT killed a Tom turkey? Just curious to see if their were any honest ones out there..
Posted By: Hevishot13

Re: Who has not - 11/14/20 12:44 AM

Me. I would really love it if someone would take me on their property this coming season
Posted By: Orion34

Re: Who has not - 11/14/20 12:45 AM

I’ve killed lots of gobblers, but few “toms.” The ones I did kill were way above the Mason-Dixon line.
Posted By: sj22

Re: Who has not - 11/14/20 12:49 AM

Zero Toms for me
Posted By: slick_trick

Re: Who has not - 11/14/20 03:19 AM

47 Jakes for me. Still trying for a Tom
Posted By: turkey247

Re: Who has not - 11/14/20 03:27 AM

I got two friends named Tom
Posted By: dBmV

Re: Who has not - 11/14/20 09:17 AM

I have never encountered a bird around here by that name. Toms are typically found in northern climates.
Posted By: Out back

Re: Who has not - 11/14/20 01:20 PM

I don't understand the question. A gobbler is a Tom, unless you want to call him something else.
I guess you could call him a bull, or a buck. But those are kinda overused already.
Posted By: CKyleC

Re: Who has not - 11/14/20 02:09 PM

I killed a Tom cat once...
Posted By: rackhunter'

Re: Who has not - 11/14/20 02:38 PM

I’ve killed a few toms up in Nebraska, All the males I’ve killed in Bama were gobblers though. laugh
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Who has not - 11/14/20 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Out back
I don't understand the question. A gobbler is a Tom, unless you want to call him something else.
I guess you could call him a bull, or a buck. But those are kinda overused already.

This ^^^^..... been killing Toms in Central AL since ‘83. Been that way since the late 1700’s too.....Rumor has it that Ben Franklin was mad at Thomas Jefferson for opposing his idea to have the turkey as our National Bird, so ol’ Ben mockingly called the turkey “Tom” after Mr. Jefferson.

Re: Who has not - 11/14/20 10:08 PM

The correct term for turkey dressing is “stuffing”, be we are in the south - it’s called dressing. And gobblers are NOT Toms. Just the way it is, you ain’t got to like itthumbup

Re: Who has not - 11/14/20 10:15 PM

247’s answer is where I was headed...
Posted By: top cat

Re: Who has not - 11/14/20 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Ridge Life
247’s answer is where I was headed...

Yup

Re: Who has not - 11/14/20 11:54 PM

Yankee kin came down to deeaa hunt and seen some Tom
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: Who has not - 11/15/20 12:13 AM

I don’t think Tom is a yankee thing unless y’all calling us hillbillies Yankees.

Re: Who has not - 11/15/20 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by ridgestalker
I don’t think Tom is a yankee thing unless y’all calling us hillbillies Yankees.

Ever been to WV or western Pennsylvania?
Posted By: blade

Re: Who has not - 11/15/20 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by turkey247
The correct term for turkey dressing is “stuffing”, be we are in the south - it’s called dressing. And gobblers are NOT Toms. Just the way it is, you ain’t got to like itthumbup

Stuffing is stuffed in the turkey. We dress ours around it, hence dressing.but I have had stuffing and I like it too.

Re: Who has not - 11/15/20 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by ridgestalker

Ain’t sayin it’s a yankee term but I’ve never used the term In all my redneck,
hillbilly white trash days of turkey hunting... and bc answered my future question before I asked it..
Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Re: Who has not - 11/16/20 02:26 AM

Many of the newer turkey hunters only know "tom" to be a yankee thing. It is for sure the norm now, but many of the old time turkey hunters from our area used that term more than gobbler.

Re: Who has not - 11/16/20 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by ozarktroutbum
Many of the newer turkey hunters only know "tom" to be a yankee thing. It is for sure the norm now, but many of the old time turkey hunters from our area used that term more than gobbler.

What area? I don’t agree with that. I’ve had the opportunity and privilege to be around quite a few of old school turkey hunters from the south. It was not common to hear, at all - if ever.

Re: Who has not - 11/16/20 10:28 AM

Same goes for the term “jake”, but it’s gained acceptance and widespread use in the last 20 years or so.
Posted By: Out back

Re: Who has not - 11/16/20 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by turkey247
Originally Posted by ozarktroutbum

What area? I don’t agree with that. I’ve had the opportunity and privilege to be around quite a few of old school turkey hunters from the south. It was not common to hear, at all - if ever.

I am an old school turkey hunter, from the south, and I've called them Toms all my life.
So did my grandaddy and my dad and practically everyone else I know.
Posted By: BrentM

Re: Who has not - 11/16/20 01:33 PM

Toms or gobblers is perfectly acceptable in Jackson County. Lots of people I hear call them Toms are the older original turkey hunters that have been doing it ever since we had turkeys. Usually called “Them ol big Toms”.
Posted By: dBmV

Re: Who has not - 11/16/20 02:30 PM

I've called them lots of things before but never Tom. mad
Posted By: Turkeymaster

Re: Who has not - 11/16/20 05:13 PM

do toms have longbeards? if so, I've seen close to 200 die slap
Posted By: 3toe

Re: Who has not - 11/16/20 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by BrentM
Toms or gobblers is perfectly acceptable in Jackson County. Lots of people I hear call them Toms are the older original turkey hunters that have been doing it ever since we had turkeys. Usually called “Them ol big Toms”.

Is a "Ol big Tom" the same as a PBT?
Posted By: JayHook2

Re: Who has not - 11/19/20 01:33 AM

Only Bob White's here...
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Who has not - 11/26/20 03:38 AM

Dern yankees make my skin crawl...somethin wrong with them...need to learn to talk..or dont...i prefer they dont...carry a pencil an a pad..just write it..id rather read your words than hear you talk...yuk...just..yuk...eww...tom....how dare yeee🇺🇸😁
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Who has not - 11/26/20 01:32 PM

I've called em lots worse than that 🤣
© 2024 ALDEER.COM