Aldeer.com

What year was the CAB created?

Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

What year was the CAB created? - 11/04/20 08:27 PM

I'm getting ready to write my letter to them and I want to refer to a little history. Anyone remember the year that they started it? I know that Kelley was still the director, and I'm thinking it was probably in the 70s.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: What year was the CAB created? - 11/04/20 08:37 PM

not 70s. I went to work in 1980 and it was after I went to work.
Posted By: Clem

Re: What year was the CAB created? - 11/04/20 08:57 PM

I started covering in 1995 and it was in place then. With members serving 6-year terms, and my best memory is at least 1-2 of those members in '95 were on their second terms, I'd guess sometime in the '80s.

Like many things about the CAB, there is little to no history, information or anything else public about it. The only thing I could find was it is "created by statute" so somewhere in the legislative record is a date.
Posted By: Out back

Re: What year was the CAB created? - 11/04/20 09:49 PM

In 1988 the CAB took on the first dog hunting issue that I can recall. So they were formed prior to that.
Posted By: Out back

Re: What year was the CAB created? - 11/04/20 09:55 PM

I can't say for certain. But I'm pretty sure Guy Hunt formed the CAB in 1987.
Posted By: Clem

Re: What year was the CAB created? - 11/04/20 10:04 PM

I think that's right, or in the right timeframe.

Re: What year was the CAB created? - 11/05/20 01:02 AM

I drove all the way to Gulf Shores and had my 3 minutes of time before the CAB when they were considering a bunch of onerous regulations on trapping. I think that was around 1982, but maybe it was later. Could there have been some organization that predated the CAB and actually spoke to it?

That was why I thought it was created in the 70s.

And Clem is right; there is almost nothing available on line about it today. My best hope to put a date on it is some of you guys remembering it.

Re: What year was the CAB created? - 11/05/20 01:15 AM

One point I want to make in my letter to them is this - the present administration has an agenda, and they will spin any data they have to support that agenda. That will be easy to establish with a few examples that every one of them already knows about.

The CAB was created at a time when we had a dcnr that was very hunter-friendly and very landowner-friendly. Many people at the time did not see a need for a legal entity like the CAB. My theory is that it wasn't created for that time - it was created for a time such as this. It was created so that there would be a last line of defense against the tyranny of government with an agenda. Every current member was appointed by a Republican governor. I want to remind them of the responsibility that they have, and it would be nice to be sure exactly when it was created. For sure, Charles Kelley was still the director, and he knew that he wouldn't always have the job
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: What year was the CAB created? - 11/05/20 01:31 AM

I went to one in Gulf Shores, I'm 99% sure it was '86 . I'm pretty sure that was not the first year for them .
Posted By: Snuffy

Re: What year was the CAB created? - 11/07/20 10:13 PM

I bet Eddie Maxwell knows.
Posted By: BCLC

Re: What year was the CAB created? - 11/09/20 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Snuffy

You’d win that bet Snuffy!

This indicates the CAB was formed by Act 162 in 1939

[Linked Image]

Re: What year was the CAB created? - 11/09/20 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by BCLC
Originally Posted by Snuffy

You’d win that bet Snuffy!

This indicates the CAB was formed by Act 162 in 1939

[Linked Image]

Thanks! So Troy, could it have been that it was after 1980 before they started really following the law on this? I sure don't remember ever hearing about it when I was growing up.

Re: What year was the CAB created? - 11/09/20 05:34 PM

Steve, there was no CAB prior to 1980, law may of been passed in 1939 but no board was established then. The board was sold as a way to take input from Alabamas citizens thru statewide meeting, then report to the Commissioner what they had found out. What I do not like is the fact that the board can write their own regulations, over the objections of the dept, and with the Gov signature , pass a new regulation.

Re: What year was the CAB created? - 11/10/20 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by BhamFred
Steve, there was no CAB prior to 1980, law may of been passed in 1939 but no board was established then. The board was sold as a way to take input from Alabamas citizens thru statewide meeting, then report to the Commissioner what they had found out. What I do not like is the fact that the board can write their own regulations, over the objections of the dept, and with the Gov signature , pass a new regulation.

So did something actually change in the law after 1980, or was it just that somebody decided to make the CAB role more prominent at that time? I don't remember ever hearing of a public meeting where they allowed you to speak prior to about then.

So who pushed it into the prominent role that it has now? Did Kelley do that, or was it a governor? I'm almost certain that Fob James was governor the first time I attended a meeting.

Re: What year was the CAB created? - 11/10/20 05:17 PM

not sure, I would of thought Kelly would be opposed to a CAB as the law was written, they could go around him to pass regulations.
Posted By: JayHook2

Re: What year was the CAB created? - 11/11/20 07:52 PM

What pushed it into prominence was the fact that they found out they could go around and above the DNR to create regs to support their own special interest...like a lobbyist but not having to buy anybody's vote. Turkey decoys, corn baiting, saltwater issues, dove season openings, etc.
My 2 cents

Re: What year was the CAB created? - 11/11/20 09:37 PM

Exactly my concern with it Jay
© 2024 ALDEER.COM