Aldeer.com

Best draw hunts in the SE USA

Posted By: fillmore

Best draw hunts in the SE USA - 10/20/20 02:20 PM

Really want to do an DIY trip somewhere this year. Due to budget and time constraints, I am focusing on the southeast/Alabama neighboring states. Would love to do Missouri but don’t know how feasible that is.

With that said, any ideas on neighboring states to do a hunt? Most draw permits begin in January, so have some time to plan my options. There’s always the option to forget draw hunts and just pick a wma, but figured draw hunts may have better success odds due to limited hunters. Certainly not opposed to hustling on a wma though

I’m thinking somewhere in TN or GA, but not sure of their populations. Used to hunt a wma in MS during my time in school, so that’s my fallback.

Thoughts? It’ll be here before you know it
Posted By: Out back

Re: Best draw hunts in the SE USA - 10/20/20 04:49 PM

What the hell is a draw hunt???
Here in hell (Umm I mean Alabama) we'll sell you a non resident license to hunt birds on any public land or any private land you get permission to hunt
Posted By: TurkeyJoe

Re: Best draw hunts in the SE USA - 10/20/20 04:51 PM

Several of the best turkey wmas in Mississippi are closed for the first two weeks of the season, except to those who win a lottery drawing

Re: Best draw hunts in the SE USA - 10/20/20 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by TurkeyJoe
Several of the best turkey wmas in Mississippi are closed for the first two weeks of the season, except to those who win a lottery drawing

This. I guess the Alabama-equivalent would be SOA hunts, or permit hunts that aren’t always open to the public. Aka draw hunts

Again, have no problem picking some foreign WMA to go to. Just enjoy entering in draws and maybe getting to go somewhere that I wouldn’t normally get to go to
Posted By: TDog93

Re: Best draw hunts in the SE USA - 10/21/20 12:52 AM

I no several guys that use to go to Missouri- lot of Mark Twain public land - they would always tag out - some of them would go back further off the beaten trail to get away from public
When I went to Missouri - I went to N Missouri to a cheaper outfitter hunt - I did my own calling - tagged out multiple years. Some mornings I would here 20-25 birds which was nice - never done that anywhere else

What I find when I go to different states like SD - KS - Neb - Mizzou - the birds are easier than Bama which is welcome sight to me
Posted By: Squadron77

Re: Best draw hunts in the SE USA - 10/21/20 01:33 AM

LBL has the quota hunts in Tennessee or Kentucky which ever state you want to hunt.
Posted By: hallb

Re: Best draw hunts in the SE USA - 10/21/20 08:39 PM

Who needs permits/draws/tags/licenses/regulations/quotas, just go hunt dadgummit!! That's what most of the badass outlaws on here recommend doing.
Posted By: Jstocks

Re: Best draw hunts in the SE USA - 10/22/20 11:28 PM

You will not be alone in the Twain anymore, and the days of hearing 10 or more birds from a good hilltop there are over.

20 years ago we used to hear a lot of birds there.

Re: Best draw hunts in the SE USA - 10/23/20 01:32 AM

I figured it would b different in Twain

I don’t leave state much anymore to hunt - always busy And more important priorities - just hit Bama hard
Posted By: Gobl4me

Re: Best draw hunts in the SE USA - 10/23/20 12:39 PM

I’d just go somewhere new and camp/hunt in alabama. I’ve hunted all over the country and nowhere that’s a close drive is better hunting.

Re: Best draw hunts in the SE USA - 10/23/20 02:42 PM

I’ve thought about. I like the idea of traveling somewhere and seeing something new, but just as easy to go to a different/new WMA here in AL and make that work. Lot cheaper too

Re: Best draw hunts in the SE USA - 10/23/20 09:26 PM

People come from several different states to hunt oakmukgee - not convenient to me but it has birds
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Best draw hunts in the SE USA - 10/28/20 01:42 AM

Florida draw opens 11/1
© 2024 ALDEER.COM