Aldeer.com

How to keep turkeys around

Posted By: Auburn_03

How to keep turkeys around - 08/27/20 01:22 AM

I have a piece of property that I have never seen a turkey on until this year. It is a field (row crops) and has mature oaks for woods. The woods are all steep terrain (mountain side). The property also has year round water in a pond that is in the woods. I am just wandering what I might could do to make the property more attractive for turkeys.
Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Re: How to keep turkeys around - 08/27/20 01:35 AM

Besides planting chufas there's probably not much you can do this late in the year. If you had pine habitat with thick undergrowth then burning would be what many would suggest. I suppose putting out a bunch of feed would probably help if you have the time to do it. If you have any say in the matter, don't do any bushhogging from during the spring/first half of the summer.
Posted By: PaintRock0

Re: How to keep turkeys around - 08/27/20 01:35 AM

We feed Wild bird seed and black oil sunflower seeds. Spin feeder goes off at 7am and 3:30 pm . We don’t feed during the turkey season. Then start back.
Posted By: abolt300

Re: How to keep turkeys around - 08/27/20 02:54 AM

Easy. Just make sure you’ve got your place more covered with cracked corn and fresh wheat seed than your neighbors do.
Posted By: Semo

Re: How to keep turkeys around - 08/27/20 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by abolt300
Easy. Just make sure you’ve got your place more covered with cracked corn and fresh wheat seed than your neighbors do.

That should do it.
Posted By: abolt300

Re: How to keep turkeys around - 08/27/20 05:01 AM

Oh it’s a proven program. Works very well for my neighbors who start that program every spring 2 weeks before opening day. Birds that have been on me all fall and all spring just happen to just out of the blue start hanging out on my neighbors property to the east and it always coincides almost to the day, with the start of turkey season. Go figure.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM