Aldeer.com

Kind of sad about today’s sighting.

Posted By: Turkey_neck

Kind of sad about today’s sighting. - 06/21/20 08:36 PM

Walked to throw out some leftover seed in thin spots at the house. Get to the field and see a lone hen no poults as she eases in the woods I see a long beard go hobbling in behind her. Apparently he had a bad leg and I’m afraid he won’t make it till season. The last three hens I’ve seen have had no poults and a gimped up gobbler makes me sick.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Kind of sad about today’s sighting. - 06/21/20 08:52 PM

Dang
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Kind of sad about today’s sighting. - 06/21/20 09:54 PM

Natures a son of a gun
Posted By: Gobble4me757

Re: Kind of sad about today’s sighting. - 06/22/20 12:30 AM

That sucks...I saw 3 hens this weekend with no poults and a big gobbler...not very encouraging about the hens as well
Posted By: BigCountry062307

Re: Kind of sad about today’s sighting. - 06/22/20 12:31 AM

Not good
Posted By: gtaylor

Re: Kind of sad about today’s sighting. - 06/29/20 10:00 PM

I saw a pile of little ones this morning

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Spec

Re: Kind of sad about today’s sighting. - 06/29/20 10:55 PM

Saw a hen with 5-6 a lil smaller than those in Clarke Cnty yesterday. Went about 20 yrds and there was a hen on the nest. Saturday afternoon I sat at our gate having a drink and heard one gobble about a dozen times on the roost. He gobbled till it was slap dark.
Posted By: quailman

Re: Kind of sad about today’s sighting. - 06/29/20 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by gtaylor

[Linked Image]

That's a Great pic!

Re: Kind of sad about today’s sighting. - 06/30/20 01:48 AM

I’ve seen 8-10 hens since may and only one with poults. First of may then none since.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Kind of sad about today’s sighting. - 07/01/20 07:37 PM

No poults for us either this yr at least not on camera where my two hens stay everyday
Posted By: BigCountry062307

Re: Kind of sad about today’s sighting. - 07/01/20 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by quailman
Originally Posted by gtaylor

[Linked Image]

That's a Great pic!

thumbup
Posted By: Jdkprp70

Re: Kind of sad about today’s sighting. - 07/01/20 10:26 PM

Me and the wife seen a hen with 8-10 pouts last week, the were still tweety bird small. Must have been a super late hatch.
Posted By: turkey247

Re: Kind of sad about today’s sighting. - 07/02/20 03:29 AM

I saw some tiny ones a couple weeks ago following mama back and forth across the road. Better late than never.
Posted By: Squeaky

Re: Kind of sad about today’s sighting. - 07/02/20 03:43 AM

We had another awesome hatch on the club. Seeing plenty of turkeys while on the property.
Posted By: stemwinder

Re: Kind of sad about today’s sighting. - 07/03/20 08:35 AM

Saw 3 hens and some little ones last week in a pasture. They were small barley could see them
In the taller grass.

Re: Kind of sad about today’s sighting. - 07/04/20 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Squeaky
We had another awesome hatch on the club. Seeing plenty of turkeys while on the property.

Awesome!
Posted By: dBmV

Re: Kind of sad about today’s sighting. - 07/05/20 11:41 AM

I have a few poults on cameras and seen a few tracks. Unfortunately I've seen a lot of lone hen tracks also.

Re: Kind of sad about today’s sighting. - 07/11/20 04:29 PM

Finally saw about 10-12 poults across the rd yesterday afternoon. Neighbor said he’s seen 30-40 I sure hope he’s right.
Posted By: turkey247

Re: Kind of sad about today’s sighting. - 07/11/20 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Turkey_neck
Finally saw about 10-12 poults across the rd yesterday afternoon. Neighbor said he’s seen 30-40 I sure hope he’s right.

Seeing 12 makes up for seeing 11 hens with zero.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Kind of sad about today’s sighting. - 07/11/20 09:14 PM

I posted pics back in May of 3 different groups that used my lawn when the poults were very small. There were 21 poults altogether. I hadn't seen any of them since then, but I saw them twice this week. There were 3 hens and only 8 poults, but they look about half grown.

Of course, I can't be sure these are the same 3 hens, but there's not a lot of turkeys in this area so it certainly could be. I am gonna hope that it's just 2 of the broods that I saw earlier and the other hen is in a separate group somewhere. Everything in the woods wants to eat a poult.

Re: Kind of sad about today’s sighting. - 07/11/20 11:40 PM

Just run up on a bunch of hens and poults. Best sighting around here in years. There were turkeys going everywhere and over half were poults probably 12-15.

Re: Kind of sad about today’s sighting. - 07/12/20 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Turkey_neck
Just run up on a bunch of hens and poults. Best sighting around here in years. There were turkeys going everywhere and over half were poults probably 12-15.
great news!
Posted By: TDog93

Re: Kind of sad about today’s sighting. - 07/15/20 12:28 AM

Saw 4 poults and a hen today when I was going in to feed deer at one of my fields - poults were about duck size and flew into woods
Posted By: TDog93

Re: Kind of sad about today’s sighting. - 07/15/20 12:33 AM

Saw 4 poults and hen today when I was going in to feed deer on one of my fields. Poults flew into woods.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Kind of sad about today’s sighting. - 07/15/20 12:38 AM

You can say that again

Re: Kind of sad about today’s sighting. - 07/15/20 02:29 AM

We seem to have a good crop of little ones. Been seeing a couple hens with eleven between them. Seen them several times. Seen another smaller group or two. This is just the second year weve seen multiple poults. Im sure proud to see them.
Posted By: Sulli

Re: Kind of sad about today’s sighting. - 07/16/20 01:22 AM

I have 4 hens coming to one Field On a regular basis And not a poult with any of them
Posted By: Ridge Life

Re: Kind of sad about today’s sighting. - 07/16/20 03:02 AM

I wish the coyotes here would go extinct or I had permission to allow trapping to everyone.. i haven’t see the first poults yet

Re: Kind of sad about today’s sighting. - 07/20/20 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ridge Life
I wish the coyotes here would go extinct or I had permission to allow trapping to everyone.. i haven’t see the first poults yet

I would not ask permission to trap a coyote. Kill every one you can whenever you can.
Posted By: TurkeyJoe

Re: Kind of sad about today’s sighting. - 07/20/20 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by jwalker77
Originally Posted by Ridge Life

I would not ask permission to trap a coyote. Kill every one you can whenever you can.

Be bad if somebody’s dog went to diggin in that dirt hole.

Re: Kind of sad about today’s sighting. - 07/20/20 10:40 PM

Dogs need gone too. Roaming ones that is.
Posted By: TurkeyJoe

Re: Kind of sad about today’s sighting. - 07/20/20 11:04 PM

If you don’t have permission to trap, and trap someone’s dog on their own land, you gonna have some splainin to do.

Re: Kind of sad about today’s sighting. - 07/21/20 02:06 AM

I killed my neighbors dog a couple years ago. That was an awkward conversation. His wife didnt like me much for a while after that. They got past it.

Re: Kind of sad about today’s sighting. - 07/21/20 03:29 AM

I did too. Warned em twice. Then I smoked the bastard.

Re: Kind of sad about today’s sighting. - 07/21/20 10:44 PM

My neighbor rescues dogs. They keep them in kennels and do a good job keeping them up but one day his wife was cleaning the kennel and a pitbull got out. I was walking out the back door, on the way to my shooting house. My boy was in the woods behind the house. He said this pitbull just got one of our chickens and growled at him when he tried to save the chicken. Well I had a gun in my hand so I ended the problem right there. About that time I here my neighbors wife calling the dog. I went on and went hunting. I sat in the shooting house thinking about my neighbor and got to feeling bad. I did the right thing and id do it again tomorrow but this particular neighbor lost a son years ago so since then theyve rescued animals and takes care of them. So knowing I was either going to have to call him now or lie later when he called me, I just went on and called him. He wasnt happy about it but agreed I did what I had to do. His wife gave me the stinkeye for months. It was one of them awkward situations that just sucked. When I shot the dog, I didnt know it was theirs, that might have made a difference considering how they feel about them and they had always done good keeping them up.

Re: Kind of sad about today’s sighting. - 07/22/20 12:58 PM

Pitbull growled boom you did the right thing
© 2024 ALDEER.COM