Aldeer.com

Alabama season results

Posted By: Turkeyboy

Alabama season results - 05/05/20 02:09 PM

Curious as to how your Al season went. I did much better this year (killed 4) than last year when I only killed one ,but three years ago was best with a limit of old birds. Saw 8 tiny poults with a hen yesterday. How did ur season compare with the last couple of years?
Posted By: Atoler

Re: Alabama season results - 05/05/20 02:29 PM

About normal, but I didn’t get to hunt all the time like a lot of people did.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Alabama season results - 05/05/20 02:33 PM

"No turkeys were harmed during the making of this turkey season"................at least, not for me...
Posted By: Gobble4me757

Re: Alabama season results - 05/05/20 02:55 PM

Great season where I killed some, missed some, and first time ever wounding some...called a bunch to their deaths in multiple states and made some fantastic memories with friends and family! I pray before every hunt for the Lord to 1. keep us safe and 2. Help us have fun...He upheld those promises everytime especially the morning i fell 10ft from a cliff on my back with only scratches and bruises by the grace of God.
Posted By: 87dixieboy

Re: Alabama season results - 05/05/20 02:56 PM

Second year I haven't had anywhere to hunt. Ive lived vicariously through yall
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Alabama season results - 05/05/20 02:56 PM

We killed 1 off our 1500 acres this season. Dad did not kill one for the first time in 20 yrs so he was dissappointed.
Posted By: Gary Harris

Re: Alabama season results - 05/05/20 03:06 PM

I had my best season ever. The most I have ever killed in the past was three birds and only did that once. It is usually one or zero birds for the year. This year I had my limit of five by April 21. Not only that, but I called two in on April 1, and my 10 year old grandson and I doubled up. It was his first ever. I called in three other birds that I could've killed and could actually have tagged out the first week. I attribute my success from buying a set of Mossy Oak Bottomland clothing from HeartofDixie off this site. There really must be something magical in that camo pattern. LOL. In reality, I learned that patience and persistence are two of the most important skills in turkey hunting. I had some amazing hunts this year and was very blessed.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Alabama season results - 05/05/20 03:10 PM

GameCheck numbers - 14,584 for the season statewide - https://game.dcnr.alabama.gov/Report/State/Turkey

By county - https://game.dcnr.alabama.gov/Report/County/Turkey
Posted By: BigCountry062307

Re: Alabama season results - 05/05/20 03:12 PM

Killer my first bird ever and got to see many on my buddies place that let's me hunt. Will have plenty for next yr
Posted By: Nightwatchman

Re: Alabama season results - 05/05/20 03:15 PM

Outstanding year. Killed the first turkey I've killed in several years. Plan to get it mounted. Also heard several other birds gobbling. fantastic year. Vastly better than I expected it to be
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: Alabama season results - 05/05/20 03:18 PM

Killed three total. One was an absolute stud and my first public land bird. And was responsible for two other turkeys dying, one with my dad and one with my good buddy (his first public bird as well). Got on or at least hears turkeys almost every hunt. All in all I'd say it was one of my best seasons yet.
Posted By: Squadron77

Re: Alabama season results - 05/05/20 03:23 PM

I killed 3 in the first 4 days. I felt sorry for them and went somewhere else to hunt for a week and never got back on another bird the rest of the year.
Posted By: Nightwatchman

Re: Alabama season results - 05/05/20 03:25 PM

I hunt almost exclusively public land in Greene county. There were only 5 other birds killed there(on public land) besides mine. And there is a plethora of public land in that county. Really shows how tough turkey hunting is on public land

Unless of course there's folks out there who don't report. Which I'm sure happens. But really paints a tough picture for how hard it is to kill a turkey in the south on public ground
Posted By: Fishduck

Re: Alabama season results - 05/05/20 03:26 PM

Hunted every day of the season but 2 because of Covid 19. Killed 4 birds and put my gun away. Watched a few come into the call and die and watched a lot run off due to movement, noise, ect. Let a few go because the "shooter" was unwilling to make the walk to get into position. Was my best year ever and could have shot my #5 on a bunch of mornings. Got to spend lots of time with family and friends. Really hated to see it end!
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: Alabama season results - 05/05/20 03:39 PM

Really good year. I got to go a lot. Heard birds on every hunt except 2. Managed to kill 3.

Dr. B
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Alabama season results - 05/05/20 03:48 PM

I added my Eastern to my full mount of each subspecies plan. Can't wait until it gets done.
Posted By: sj22

Re: Alabama season results - 05/05/20 03:55 PM

Best year ever! My daughter killed her first and that made my season!! Now for the boy to get big enough to start hunting
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: Alabama season results - 05/05/20 03:56 PM

Toughest I’ve seen in along time.
Posted By: BC

Re: Alabama season results - 05/05/20 04:38 PM

Limited on April 11’th. Took my wife on the 24’th and she killed a nice 3 yo.

Pretty good season.

Re: Alabama season results - 05/05/20 04:58 PM

Sounds like a fairly decent season for most of you. Anybody know the gamecheck number killed last year?
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Alabama season results - 05/05/20 05:38 PM

Worst year in a long time. Heard 4 on the youth hunt weekend and 3 opening weekend one killed one missed. Heard 6 or 7 birds the whole rest of the year 3 of those were behind my house one died to my son and one played with me the rest of the season. Heard one bird at the lease one morning 2 more on the forest.
Posted By: BuckRidge17

Re: Alabama season results - 05/05/20 05:40 PM

Had a great year. Heard gobbling every hunt and got to play the game every hunt except 1 morning. Killed 3 but anyone in my shoes with a little more experience would have easily limited out early
Posted By: AU_trout_bum

Re: Alabama season results - 05/05/20 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by 87dixieboy
Second year I haven't had anywhere to hunt. Ive lived vicariously through yall

You don't live near any public land?
Posted By: AU_trout_bum

Re: Alabama season results - 05/05/20 06:08 PM

I killed two within the first two weeks, then played guide with the only availability I had left.
Posted By: Squeaky

Re: Alabama season results - 05/05/20 06:20 PM

I killed 3 in the short period I had to hunt between March 21st & April 8th. I have been offshore ever since and missed the rest of the season and several April trips I had planned. The weather pretty much sucked every day I got to hunt with the exception of a few, so I am thankful for the 3 I did kill. I had to hunt hard every day to make it happen, so those 3 were well earned. I am looking forward to hunting some willing turkeys in the coming weeks if the good lord above sees fit!!
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Alabama season results - 05/05/20 06:46 PM

I had a great year. It was a year of first for me, although I will say I had 21 hunts without hearing a single bird gobble. I only had two hunts where gobbling is what I’d say was comparable to a normal year. Starting youth weekend I heard several birds and called in two for my oldest son(10), and he swung and missed on the strutter. That was tough on him. It took several more hunts to even find a bird to get him on and the morning he finally connected he worked his tail off for it. The bird gobbled 3 times on the limb and took him a while to get to us. Nothing will ever replace that first bird for him. It was a celebration. I called in another bird for a good friend who just started turkey hunting this season. Picture perfect hunt and the bird was dead shortly after flying down. He gobbled pretty good. We hunted a total of 20+ hours together after that day and didn’t even come close again. He got a good dose of actual turkey hunting after that first one. Lol.

I was able to kill 3 myself and am dang proud of them each. The first one I called off a group of hens shortly after flydown. Why this bird chose me over them I haven’t quite figured out but it cost him. He gobbled less than 15 times. He had no reason to though. I did find a lonely gobbler three days later that gobbled very well. It took repositioning twice to get somewhere he felt comfortable crossing a big creek, but finally he pitched right across and strutted to his death at 15 yards. He was my first double bearded bird and a dang good one at that. The last bird I killed came in silent but hard. I had no idea he was there until he came running by me in half strut at 15 yards to a hen I had called up in front of me. He died at 12 yards from the 410, my first kill with it. Although I heard less gobbling than any year I can remember I was still able to scratch up 5 dead turkeys for myself and others. I consider that a success.
Posted By: AU coonhunter

Re: Alabama season results - 05/05/20 08:35 PM

First time I didn’t kill a bird in 14 years. I called one in for a friend on his place opening day of the north zone, he came to 60 and smelled a rat and that was the closest I came to seeing a turkey get shot. My main farm and a couple smaller places didn’t have a gobbler on them this year. Hunted some new places and heard a few, just never was able to make one act right. Still had fun chasing them, it just gets old not being able to pull the trigger on one.
Posted By: Gobble4me757

Re: Alabama season results - 05/05/20 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by AU coonhunter
First time I didn’t kill a bird in 14 years. I called one in for a friend on his place opening day of the north zone, he came to 60 and smelled a rat and that was the closest I came to seeing a turkey get shot. My main farm and a couple smaller places didn’t have a gobbler on them this year. Hunted some new places and heard a few, just never was able to make one act right. Still had fun chasing them, it just gets old not being able to pull the trigger on one.

I repeat...it's karma for killin my turkey last year!! lol at least you have that fine new shotgun to debut next year!
Posted By: Out back

Re: Alabama season results - 05/05/20 09:24 PM

What are yall talking about? I don't understand.
Posted By: wareagle22

Re: Alabama season results - 05/06/20 12:43 AM

I have always said that one day I wanted to be able to hunt every day of turkey season. Well, I almost accomplished it this year but killed my 5th one in AL on 4/17 and with the travel restrictions, had to cancel trips to KS and MO plus my much anticipated yearly hunt to the Pacific Northwest. It was a strange year for gobbling as turkeys on one part of the club would gobble while others would not. I was fortunate to kill 5 gobbling turkeys with 4 of them being really good birds. I ended up shooting a damn Super Jake on with my 5th tag. He played the part of a long beard and had a full gobble. I had to move on him 3 times to ever get a shot and right before I killed him, he stood in one spot for 4-5 mins gobbling his head off. I never saw him strut and as soon as his head cleared some vines, I smoked him. I’m still proud of him as he acted just like an old gobbler. Not being able to travel cost me a bunch more birds but all in all, it was a good season.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Alabama season results - 05/06/20 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Clem

GameCheck numbers - 14,584 for the season statewide - https://game.dcnr.alabama.gov/Report/State/Turkey

You know how this year's numbers compare to recent years?
Posted By: Parker243

Re: Alabama season results - 05/06/20 01:11 AM

I came close on public land several times this season and heard plenty of gobbling but just never did close the deal. I really hope to have some private land next season, but am grateful to have been on gobbling birds and got to play the game. Very frustrated that I didn't get one this season, but I had opportunities. Already looking forward to next season. I covered lots of miles this season
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: Alabama season results - 05/06/20 02:56 AM

This year will be remembered as the Covid season for me. I have been absolutely slammed at work so I have hunted as little as I can remember in a long time. The two clubs I hunt also got hammered daily by high school kids who weren't in school. And to top it off my travel trip in May got cancelled.

All things said though, I enjoyed every second I was able to spend chasing them. There is absolutely nothing like listening to the woods come to life on a Spring morning, and I've grown to cherish every one I do get to see. I also have seen a pile of jakes so 2021 should be fun. I am pretty excited about my alarm not going off at 330 on Saturday. Its been about 2 months since I slept past 4.
Posted By: JUGHEAD

Re: Alabama season results - 05/06/20 12:04 PM

BY FAR, the most frustrating season I have ever been through and its not even close. It went from feast to famine in a hurry. The season started amazing and it was like you turned the faucet off on April 2. For the last month of the season, I can count the number of gobbles I heard on my two hands. Not a single turkey in that month that gobbled on the ground AT ALL. Most all of those mornings I hung around until 10:00 or later and never heard a single turkey sound. Goons EVERYWHERE on public land, in both AL and TN. My private place in Alabama got overtaken by a club member when I’m supposed to have sole turkey rights. I have never done this before, but I skipped Alabama on the last weekend and went to KY/TN instead. I’m glad its over so I’m not tempted to endure more punishment.
Posted By: Rolloverdave

Re: Alabama season results - 05/06/20 02:04 PM

I had a good year, killed 3 could have killed a limit but started tryin help others get birds
Called a few in that got missed by friends
Posted By: Mully

Re: Alabama season results - 05/06/20 02:05 PM

Overall is it was a good year. I hunted about average for what I always do and killed several birds one of which had 1.5" spurs and saw a few more birds get killed and one get missed. I hunted around 20 mornings and heard birds gobble on every hunt.
Posted By: gobblebox

Re: Alabama season results - 05/06/20 02:06 PM

Killed 4 with 2 misses
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: Alabama season results - 05/06/20 02:17 PM

The year started off great. I killed 2 at my new club opening week and then killed a 3rd on public land on April 8th. After that it was an uphill battle. Like others have said the pressure this season was tremendous. I typically like to hunt public land during the week but this year every day was like a weekend.
Posted By: Hoytdad10

Re: Alabama season results - 05/06/20 02:27 PM

I had an average year.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Alabama season results - 05/06/20 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by 2Dogs
Originally Posted by Clem

You know how this year's numbers compare to recent years?

I believe the 2019 results were about 11,000 reported. Unsure of the final number but it was comical, just like this year's number.
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Alabama season results - 05/06/20 04:57 PM

Posted By: Fun4all

Re: Alabama season results - 05/06/20 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by crenshawco
The two clubs I hunt also got hammered daily by high school kids who weren't in school. .

This and their friends "hunting", more like squawking around in the woods! And no they didn't kill anything but sure kept the spooking the birds going full time!
Posted By: dsayer

Re: Alabama season results - 05/07/20 01:33 AM

Hunted a total of 6 mornings on public land. Saw or heard birds on 4 of those hunts. Killed one.
I'm happy with my first season in Alabama.
Posted By: deer slayer 84

Re: Alabama season results - 05/07/20 04:20 PM

Killed. Two so it was a good year for me. Almost had number 3 but missed. Gobbled. Good the first two weeks of season then it dwindled. Down
Posted By: BD

Re: Alabama season results - 05/08/20 06:51 PM

Alabama season was tough, but I did manage to kill one on public land. The private tracts that I have access too, didn’t hold many birds this year. However, I was still able to make some out of state trips and recorded a Single Season Grand Slam. Overall, 2020 will be a year to remember.
Posted By: ALMODUX

Re: Alabama season results - 05/09/20 02:09 AM

Just 3 this year, but didn’t get to travel much, and family issues cut into my time, severely. I did get to hunt more than last year (just 2), but (Year before last) last ‘normal’ year was 5 Bama birds. I used to get more add ons in MS, LA, and TX.
Posted By: Forrestgump1

Re: Alabama season results - 05/09/20 04:27 AM

Rough year for me, only hear a handful of gobbles out of the few times I got to go. I did manage to kill one. That was the only hunt I even got on any birds. I typically kill three a year and then go towards helping buddy’s get one. Everybody was off but I stayed slammed at work.
Posted By: crocker

Re: Alabama season results - 05/10/20 01:15 AM

I killed 2 and my 13 yr old killed 2 which is a little above average for us. Seemed liked they started early where I hunt.
Posted By: JRF

Re: Alabama season results - 05/11/20 09:29 PM

I don't turkey hunt but I know at the end of deer season I heard them Goblin a lot. We have three guys that turkey hunt and the three of them killed seven on 900 Acres.

Re: Alabama season results - 05/11/20 09:45 PM

Started early in my area.i would love to see the season start 3/10, then end around 4/15. Saw poults 5/2.
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Alabama season results - 05/11/20 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Turkeyboy
Started early in my area.i would love to see the season start 3/10, then end around 4/15.

Yup started early and ended early. Hens with poults on the ground before the last week of April.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM