Aldeer.com

Monday's bird with story and pics

Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Monday's bird with story and pics - 04/02/20 06:01 PM

I finally broke the ice on 2020 turkey season this past Monday. My oldest son and I got on this bird late Saturday morning and he put on one heck of a show but never would close the gap to killable range. Since I knew he'd probably be in the same area, Monday I came in from the opposite side and got on the same ridge he had been on Saturday hoping he'd come back to his comfort zone. I sat down and around 600 I heard him drumming in the tree. I had unknowingly gotten withing 100 yards of his roost tree! When he started gobbling and daylight started breaking, I could see him on the limb. I made 3 clucks with my Ben Lee Super Hen trough slate call that I bought as a teenager and he answered back. He stayed in the tree drumming and gobbling for about another 35-40 minutes. I could see him walking up and down the limb like a cat and he even hopped to another limb and back to the original one presumably trying to get a look at where this hen was he was hearing. I pulled out another call, one I never use but always take with me for sentimental reasons. It's tiny Ben Lee slate call that I bought back in the late 1970's at the World Championship Turkey Calling Contest when it was held at the Montgomery Civic Center. Ben Lee won that night so I used my allowance bought my first turkey call. It's a tiny little call and makes a higher pitched call than I normally use, but I decided to go ahead and hit him again with 3 more soft clucks. He gobbled right back and that was it. He pitched down in my direction and actually landed in gun range but a rise over the hill prevented me from seeing him. I flipped the safety off and waited for him to crest the little ridge. In just a minute or two I saw that white head as he came over the hill and at 23 steps I let the ole Winchester 1300 send some TSS his way. Bird #1 was down and man, what a rush! It just never gets old!! I thank the Lord for letting me see another turkey season and to kill another fine bird.

I tried to post up 30 seconds of video of him gobbling on the limb but evidently that's not possible with Imgur. At least not with sound. Anyway, here are the post hunt pics!

He had just stepped over this dead log. Last step he ever took.
[Linked Image]

Pics of the old calls that fooled him.
[Linked Image]

Post hunt reflections and a good smoke enjoying the moment!
[Linked Image]

Dr. B
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: Monday's bird with story and pics - 04/02/20 06:23 PM

Congrats doc! Great story and pics 👍🏻
Posted By: fourfive45

Re: Monday's bird with story and pics - 04/02/20 06:27 PM

I’m digging the gear Benjy. Congrats!
Posted By: Boom

Re: Monday's bird with story and pics - 04/02/20 06:29 PM

Good deal. Congratulations on a nice bird!

Boom
Posted By: Cbonner15

Re: Monday's bird with story and pics - 04/02/20 06:30 PM

I have some of those same calls, Doc. They sadly never leave my vest as I am worried I will lose them. Great photo's and congrats on the bird.
Posted By: gcr0003

Re: Monday's bird with story and pics - 04/02/20 06:36 PM

Great story, great bird!
Posted By: BD

Re: Monday's bird with story and pics - 04/02/20 07:00 PM

Congrats!
Posted By: Gobble4me757

Re: Monday's bird with story and pics - 04/02/20 07:04 PM

Great Story! Congrats man!! Btw...I'll give it to you...you are the original post smoke bird guy! Pinhoti has only been copying with their victory cigars compared to your pipe! Love it!
Posted By: Mully

Re: Monday's bird with story and pics - 04/02/20 07:13 PM

Congrats Benjy!
Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Re: Monday's bird with story and pics - 04/02/20 07:34 PM

I remember you looking for the striker that went with it a few years ago
Posted By: PanolaProductions

Re: Monday's bird with story and pics - 04/02/20 07:46 PM

Awesome. Congrats! My Dad has both of those calls. Always thought about slipping one in my vest one morning.
Posted By: sj22

Re: Monday's bird with story and pics - 04/02/20 07:50 PM

Congrats man! Great story and pictures
Posted By: jellyhead11

Re: Monday's bird with story and pics - 04/02/20 07:52 PM

Congrats!
Posted By: deerhunt1988

Re: Monday's bird with story and pics - 04/02/20 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Gobble4me757
you are the original post smoke bird guy!

I was just about to say....Celebratory smoke before it was cool!
Posted By: alight1983

Re: Monday's bird with story and pics - 04/02/20 11:01 PM

Have to say pretty cool doc

Re: Monday's bird with story and pics - 04/02/20 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by ozarktroutbum

I looked everywhere for one of the original clear plexiglass strikers with the green funnel top that came with that Super Hen but never found one. That’s a black Primos plexiglass striker but it still sounds awesome!

Dr. B
Posted By: Orion34

Re: Monday's bird with story and pics - 04/02/20 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by bamaeyedoc
Originally Posted by ozarktroutbum

I looked everywhere for one of the original clear plexiglass strikers with the green funnel top that came with that Super Hen but never found one. That’s a black Primos plexiglass striker but it still sounds awesome!

Dr. B

Congrats! Cool story and fantastic photos.

I’ve got a 1970’s Super Hen myself. I’d have sworn it came with a corncob/cedar striker.

Re: Monday's bird with story and pics - 04/03/20 12:06 AM

Orion, mine had a clear plexiglass striker that was tapered at the tip and had a dark green funnel on top. I lost the original one but was put in contact with a lady (seems it was someone still handling Ben’s turkey calling business after he died) who mailed me a replacement for $5. I remember talking to her on the phone since this was before internet was popular. I mailed her a check and she sent the striker which I eventually lost it too. 😡

Dr. B
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Monday's bird with story and pics - 04/03/20 12:36 AM

Good story bamaeyedc. Love the old calls. My granddad carried those exact same 2 calls. I hope to get them from my uncle one day since I'm his only descendant that hunts . They would mean the world to me. It's the simple things...
Posted By: Jmxinc

Re: Monday's bird with story and pics - 04/03/20 12:57 AM

Awesome story and kill!!
May the good lord bless you with
many more!
Posted By: BigCountry062307

Re: Monday's bird with story and pics - 04/03/20 01:08 AM

Congrats
Posted By: JUGHEAD

Re: Monday's bird with story and pics - 04/03/20 01:34 AM

Congrats Doc! Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: duxlayer

Re: Monday's bird with story and pics - 04/03/20 03:14 AM

Like it’s suppose to be done, congrats Doc! I have to say I missed ur videos though when you would get so tore up you would go into a coughing fit ! Lol
Posted By: G/H

Re: Monday's bird with story and pics - 04/03/20 03:23 AM

Congrats on the kill. I remember those calls
Posted By: General

Re: Monday's bird with story and pics - 04/03/20 04:15 PM

Congrats and cool story!
Posted By: BamaGrad85

Re: Monday's bird with story and pics - 04/04/20 04:32 AM

Congrats
Posted By: n2deer

Re: Monday's bird with story and pics - 04/08/20 10:48 AM

Congratulations. You done changed hats on us.
Posted By: Colt1917

Re: Monday's bird with story and pics - 04/08/20 11:31 AM

Great pictures, great writeup! Congrats.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM