Aldeer.com

Confirmation of a cure--Buggins Insect Repellent

Posted By: Autseed

Confirmation of a cure--Buggins Insect Repellent - 03/30/20 02:55 PM

We have a horrible bull gnats problem at our place in Wilcox--so bad two weekends ago that it drove us out of the woods. At the recommendation of one of our posters, I found some Buggins Insect Repellent for gnats and no-see-ums at a store here locally (surprisingly, it was Mike Ward's Liberty Safes off of Moffat and I-65 here in Mobile), and went back into the woods this weekend. I can confirm that this stuff worked like a charm! I could see the gnats were still there, but they stayed away from me until around 9:00, when the scent wore off. They swarmed me then, so I headed back to the camp, but next time I will take the bottle with me and reapply.

Had a great hunt too--got inside of 100 yards of a big ole gobbler, and thought I had him coming, but instead he paced twenty yards in either direction and would not come to my sexy calls. Probably gobbIed 30 times right in front of me and responded to every cluck and yelp I threw at him. I finally shut up completely, thinking that maybe he would get curious and come looking, and I think it was working, but then two other hens flanked me and ran over to the old man and took him away. Fun hunt regardless, and bug free!
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Confirmation of a cure--Buggins Insect Repellent - 03/30/20 03:24 PM

they're awful here, along with the mosquitoes. worst I can remember. My clothes are treated in permethrin, so they won't land on them, but they swarm my face and ears. I have been bathing in Off Deep Woods and they basically just laugh at me. It's miserable. Tried the thermacell with a fresh pad in it and they were unfazed.
Posted By: phildawg

Re: Confirmation of a cure--Buggins Insect Repellent - 03/30/20 03:26 PM

Had the same problems with bugs. The only thing that helped get them away from my face was putting fresh dryer sheets in my hat.

Hopefully the cooler weather later this week and the lack of rainy days will slow them down.

Re: Confirmation of a cure--Buggins Insect Repellent - 03/30/20 03:48 PM

If you guys can find the local distributor for Buggins Insect Repellent, it is definitely worth a try. I googled it and found it locally pretty easily. FYI, another guy I hunted with actually sprayed himself with what he called "vanilla perfume" and he swore it worked as well. The Buggins spray contains vanilla extract, so that may be the key.
Posted By: 3toe

Re: Confirmation of a cure--Buggins Insect Repellent - 03/30/20 03:53 PM

Amazon has it. Which one did you get? Green ,blue or orange?

Re: Confirmation of a cure--Buggins Insect Repellent - 03/30/20 04:12 PM

I got the bottle that said gnats and no-see-ums. Can't remember the color.
Posted By: k bush

Re: Confirmation of a cure--Buggins Insect Repellent - 03/30/20 04:16 PM

Green
Posted By: James

Re: Confirmation of a cure--Buggins Insect Repellent - 03/31/20 09:35 AM

[Linked Image]

What I use 👍
Posted By: North40R

Re: Confirmation of a cure--Buggins Insect Repellent - 03/31/20 01:33 PM

We've been using the Vanilla Mint Rose (Buggins) and Gnaughty Gnats ( Marina Cottage Soap Co.) for several years now. This year the bull gnats were so bad nothing would keep all of them off.

Dragonflies finally showed up this past weekend and they've beaten the gnats back to just a few buzzing around.
Posted By: Davyalabama

Re: Confirmation of a cure--Buggins Insect Repellent - 03/31/20 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by phildawg
Had the same problems with bugs. The only thing that helped get them away from my face was putting fresh dryer sheets in my hat.

Hopefully the cooler weather later this week and the lack of rainy days will slow them down.

I'm not looking forward to the cooler weather, I'm afraid it may shut them up for a spell. That dryer sheet thing I may have to try.
Posted By: blade

Re: Confirmation of a cure--Buggins Insect Repellent - 03/31/20 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by North40R
We've been using the Vanilla Mint Rose (Buggins) and Gnaughty Gnats ( Marina Cottage Soap Co.) for several years now. This year the bull gnats were so bad nothing would keep all of them off.

Dragonflies finally showed up this past weekend and they've beaten the gnats back to just a few buzzing around.

So, Hank, is that what normally knocks them back to tolerable. That's cool to know.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Confirmation of a cure--Buggins Insect Repellent - 03/31/20 08:56 PM

The gnats convinced my family that I had shingles - my forehead was covered with red bumps that did look like shingles. I thought that it was just the gnats, but I wasn't sure for a few days. Thanks to those who posted about Buggins. I ordered a can and will try it out, though I hope the cooler weather knocks the gnats back to normal levels.
Posted By: Fun4all

Re: Confirmation of a cure--Buggins Insect Repellent - 04/01/20 03:39 AM

Shannon Bug Tamer headnets are the only thing I have found that works. Buggins partially works on gnats, but the mosquitoes eat you up! Total headnet and full brim hat is the only thing that I have gotten to work.
Posted By: North40R

Re: Confirmation of a cure--Buggins Insect Repellent - 04/01/20 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by blade
Originally Posted by North40R

So, Hank, is that what normally knocks them back to tolerable. That's cool to know.

Yes, noticed the first ones this past Saturday. They look black (I haven't inspected too closely) and about 1.5"s long. I know that once you see them buzzing the road beds the gnats are basically gone.
Posted By: AJones

Re: Confirmation of a cure--Buggins Insect Repellent - 04/01/20 10:31 PM

My son recommended perfume that has vanilla scent. Worked well this past weekend. Make sure to give your wife prior warning.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM