Aldeer.com

Turkey legs

Posted By: MarksOutdoors

Turkey legs - 03/28/20 12:01 AM

Any good method for cooking where they arent tough as leather? Tried a crock pot recipe but it was no different.
Posted By: cchoque93

Re: Turkey legs - 03/28/20 12:08 AM

Pressure cook. Pick meat and add to cream of mushroom soup with vegetables
Posted By: Orion34

Re: Turkey legs - 03/28/20 12:09 AM

No personal experience but I’ve heard pressure cooker or insta-pot to tenderize them.
Posted By: geeb1

Re: Turkey legs - 03/28/20 01:30 AM

Wife wants to try to smoke some legs on the primo. I am doubtful
Posted By: Peach

Re: Turkey legs - 03/28/20 01:31 AM

try and separate them from the turkey with the thigh intact as well. Boil them for about two hours and do what you want to with the meat.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Turkey legs - 03/28/20 02:26 AM

James has a dumplin recipe that is some count. If your good to him he might turn you on to it. Theyre good
Posted By: Dkhargroves

Re: Turkey legs - 03/28/20 03:11 AM

Turkeyneck has a few good recipes.... laugh
Posted By: Davyalabama

Re: Turkey legs - 03/28/20 01:04 PM

I boil them with just a little vinegar and water to soften them up, then I wipe them down to get them dry. Then, batter them up and fry them.
Posted By: BC

Re: Turkey legs - 03/28/20 03:43 PM

Put them on a cedar plank on the grill and cook them low and slow until they are at an internal temp of 160-165. Then throw them in the garbage and eat the board.
Posted By: TurkeyJoe

Re: Turkey legs - 03/28/20 08:19 PM

Crock pot will get them extremely tender. You just gotta give it more time. 8hrs + on high. Makes great dressing or jambalaya
Posted By: JUGHEAD

Re: Turkey legs - 03/28/20 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by BC
Put them on a cedar plank on the grill and cook them low and slow until they are at an internal temp of 160-165. Then throw them in the garbage and eat the board.
🤣🤣🤣
Posted By: JayHook2

Re: Turkey legs - 03/28/20 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by geeb1
Wife wants to try to smoke some legs on the primo. I am doubtful

Don't do it
Posted By: Colt1917

Re: Turkey legs - 03/28/20 10:46 PM

I took legs and thighs from the bird I killed this morning and put them in the InstaPot on pressure cooker mode for about an hour and a half along with seasoning and some stock I'd made from my nephews smoked Thanksgiving turkey. It was still really tough after that, so now I've got it on slow cook mode for four hours. If it's still tough I'll continue the slow cook mode overnight. Once I get it like I like it, I'll chop it up for turkey salad and/or "barbeque" sandwiches.
Posted By: Fun4all

Re: Turkey legs - 03/29/20 10:38 PM

Boil them with garlic, celery, salt & pepper to taste and onions for a couple of hours. Pull the meat off the bone like pulled pork and put bbq sauce on it for sandwiches!! Strain the broth you just made boiling them for GREAT vegetable soup.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Turkey legs - 03/29/20 11:18 PM

Pressure cooker then turkey and dumplings. Never heard of a better way to do them just to tough.
Posted By: AU_trout_bum

Re: Turkey legs - 03/29/20 11:49 PM

I do the crockpot for 8 hours with enough chicken broth to cover them. Let cool and pic all meat off. I use the meat for soups/stews/chili or for carnitas tacos or enchiladas
Posted By: deerhunt1988

Re: Turkey legs - 03/30/20 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Colt1917
I took legs and thighs from the bird I killed this morning and put them in the InstaPot on pressure cooker mode for about an hour and a half along with seasoning and some stock I'd made from my nephews smoked Thanksgiving turkey. It was still really tough after that, so now I've got it on slow cook mode for four hours. If it's still tough I'll continue the slow cook mode overnight. Once I get it like I like it, I'll chop it up for turkey salad and/or "barbeque" sandwiches.

I have used an instant pot on dozens and never had an issue. Just add broth and cook on high for 1hr 10 mins and let it naturally release. Never had an issue with it still being tough.
Posted By: hayman

Re: Turkey legs - 03/30/20 12:47 AM

I cook them on the grill in a covered aluminum pan. Italian dressing, Moore’s, bacon, celery, potatoes, carrots, and your choice of other seasonings. They are not bad if you keep them moist. They are just very lean and you have to add some type moisture.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM