Aldeer.com

Birds waiting on crows

Posted By: Ant67

Birds waiting on crows - 03/26/20 01:48 AM

I’ve got one tract I hunt that gets very little pressure. But the birds absolutely will not gobble until the first crow sounds off. Problem is by that time it’s too light to move on them. Anybody else have this problem and have a theory why?
Posted By: PaintRock0

Re: Birds waiting on crows - 03/26/20 01:54 AM

Mother Nature every morning same thing birds know what ups
Posted By: rackhunter'

Re: Birds waiting on crows - 03/26/20 01:59 AM

I have noticed this before, would not hear a turkey until a few crows got cranked up
Posted By: Clark8907

Re: Birds waiting on crows - 03/26/20 02:04 AM

Use the terrain to get in front of where they are going. Not to mention if you strike one later in the day you should be able to get close and kill them.
Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Re: Birds waiting on crows - 03/26/20 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Ant67
I’ve got one tract I hunt that gets very little pressure. But the birds absolutely will not gobble until the first crow sounds off. Problem is by that time it’s too light to move on them. Anybody else have this problem and have a theory why?
Hmm. Can't speak for the crows...but gobbling that begins after it's too light to move in close has been pretty common in my experience
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Birds waiting on crows - 03/26/20 03:05 AM

That’s just normal behavior. I can count on one hand the number of turkeys in AL that have gobbled before first light. Most don’t start until you can see very well. I used to hunt with a guy who’d burn the roads up owl hooting before first light and he hardly ever heard a bird in the dark. Now out west, they’ll hit the ground earlier than our birds start gobbling.
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: Birds waiting on crows - 03/26/20 03:10 AM

I've got a place that's the same way. 1st crow of the morning, you better have your ears peeled. This property also has a terrible predator population so I'm guessing that may be a contributing factor.
Posted By: sj22

Re: Birds waiting on crows - 03/26/20 10:39 AM

One of my places is just like that with the first crow but I hunt other places where they gobble a little sooner
Posted By: bama1971

Re: Birds waiting on crows - 03/26/20 12:02 PM

I would get a crow call
Posted By: muzziehead

Re: Birds waiting on crows - 03/27/20 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by bama1971
I would get a crow call

I agree. If they gobble to that pitch, hit your crow call in the dark as opposed to a hoot owl call, but I would Bet you $100 if they responding to crow call they will shock gobble to a hoot owl call especially if roll your call at the end with a cackle
Posted By: Turkeyboy

Re: Birds waiting on crows - 03/27/20 04:21 AM

I have three crow calls, two are fairly soft but one is sharp and loud, it gets the shock gobble.
Posted By: Colt1917

Re: Birds waiting on crows - 03/27/20 03:22 PM

I guess it's not always just crows:
Yesterday at sunrise, walking down a ridge, I heard a pair of geese flying along a creek honking.
A roosted bird down in the holler gobbled back at them twice, but I never heard another word from him.
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: Birds waiting on crows - 03/27/20 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Colt1917
I guess it's not always just crows:
Yesterday at sunrise, walking down a ridge, I heard a pair of geese flying along a creek honking.
A roosted bird down in the holler gobbled back at them twice, but I never heard another word from him.

I always carry a goose call in my vest just because of that. Sometimes it's the only thing that will pull a gobble out of one.
Posted By: hootn

Re: Birds waiting on crows - 03/27/20 03:26 PM

I still haven't heard a crow this morning.
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: Birds waiting on crows - 03/27/20 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by bama1971
I would get a crow call

👆🏻👆🏻👆🏻 Faulk’s makes a good’un - have had mine a very long time
© 2024 ALDEER.COM