Aldeer.com

Bull Gnats!

Posted By: CB1

Bull Gnats! - 03/20/20 04:41 PM

Guys if you are hunting in Washington or Clarke county beware the bull gnats are horrible this year. I know of several people who have lost chickens to the gnats. I was in Mobile yesterday and didn't have an issue with the gnats. How far north until you get away from them blood suckers
Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Re: Bull Gnats! - 03/20/20 05:02 PM

I live in Spanish Fort close to the water. Since I've lived here and I haven't noticed gnats much. Mosquitos are a different story.

Several years ago when I spent the summer at the Dixon center around Andalusia those were the most gnats I'd ever seen. They follow you inside buzzing around your face...
Posted By: gobblebox

Re: Bull Gnats! - 03/20/20 05:34 PM

Awful in Monroe county
Posted By: Gobl4me

Re: Bull Gnats! - 03/20/20 06:48 PM

Was hunting in Mississippi last weekend and gnats were horrible
Posted By: tbest3

Re: Bull Gnats! - 03/20/20 06:48 PM

They always seem to be terrible at my two microwave sites in conecuh county.
Posted By: JLavender

Re: Bull Gnats! - 03/20/20 07:00 PM

Vanilla Extract
Posted By: Gobble4me757

Re: Bull Gnats! - 03/20/20 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by YAK-EM'
Vanilla Extract

Really been wondering if there is anything to get em away from you...this work??

Re: Bull Gnats! - 03/23/20 11:50 AM

I make up a mix of Avon skin so soft bath oil, peppermint oil, witch hazel, vanilla extract and water. I put it in a spray bottle. It works for me. Used it yesterday when washing my trucks. Gnats will eat you alive around my house.
Posted By: rja

Re: Bull Gnats! - 03/23/20 11:57 AM

Bad in Marengo co. I used a head bet
Posted By: Out back

Re: Bull Gnats! - 03/23/20 12:09 PM

I tried Avon crap one time. It was bait! Might as well rub down with molasses.
Posted By: rackhunter'

Re: Bull Gnats! - 03/23/20 12:15 PM

I fought them bad yesterday, I coated myself in off . They was driving me crazy,
Posted By: StoneMan

Re: Bull Gnats! - 03/23/20 12:57 PM

I used to have to deal with them while cutting grass when I was teenager. Only thing that worked for me was to put a couple drier sheets tucked in my hat to keep them out of my face.
Posted By: Autseed

Re: Bull Gnats! - 03/23/20 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by CB1
Guys if you are hunting in Washington or Clarke county beware the bull gnats are horrible this year. I know of several people who have lost chickens to the gnats. I was in Mobile yesterday and didn't have an issue with the gnats. How far north until you get away from them blood suckers

I hunted this weekend in Wilcox, and have to admit that the gnats won the battle on Saturday. I had a face mask on, with Deet spray on my face and clothes, but at around 7:00 I was surrounded by the little buggers. They got in my ears, my nose, my eye (literally had to pick about six of them out of my eyeball--never had that happen before), my mouth (I ate several of them while walking). Could not hear anything but the bugs. At 8:00, my young son told me he couldn't take it anymore, so we headed in. I hunted later that afternoon, but went inside a box on a field and got two Thermocells going. That seemed to keep them out of the box, but of course I heard and saw no turkeys.

Crappy thing about this was that it got colder on Sunday morning and we were on some gobblers, but we had some nasty storms with lightening roll through around 8:00 in the morning and had to abandon the hunt.

We'll try again next week. Hopefully those gnats have a VERY short lifespan.
Posted By: 7x57_Mauser

Re: Bull Gnats! - 03/23/20 04:53 PM

Was down in Greene county Saturday afternoon and the gnats just about carried me away.
Posted By: hopper35005

Re: Bull Gnats! - 03/23/20 06:12 PM

I was in Greene County as well all weekend ....the gnats are horrible this year, hard to use the mouth call when you can’t open your mouth
Posted By: TurkeyJoe

Re: Bull Gnats! - 03/23/20 06:52 PM

Bug tamer head net. I only use it when the gnats or skeeters become unbearable
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: Bull Gnats! - 03/23/20 07:28 PM

Thermacell was worth every penny today.

Dr. B
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Bull Gnats! - 03/23/20 07:32 PM

Glad I’m above the bull gant line up here.
Posted By: lectrode

Re: Bull Gnats! - 03/23/20 11:25 PM

Yeah had two buddies hunting around Camden the last few days and they said they are horrible. Didn't see any in Pickens Co,just ticks.
Posted By: StateLine

Re: Bull Gnats! - 03/24/20 12:59 AM

They are terrible in Conecuh and Escambia.
Thermocell didnt do anything to keep away the Bull Gnats. OFF doesnt repel them either.

Re: Bull Gnats! - 03/24/20 01:16 AM

Goin to Clarke co tomorrow...brother said it ran em out of the woods this weekend...I am looking at getting a bug net from academy or something lol
Posted By: James

Re: Bull Gnats! - 03/24/20 04:12 AM

Man I'm glad you posted this! I swear I've been bitten by damn bugs I've never seen before in my life!!!! I ran out of washer fluid on the 130 mile trip to camp because of all the bugs i smashed on the way 🤣🤣🤣
Posted By: OlTimer

Re: Bull Gnats! - 03/24/20 08:04 AM

They were horrible in the Forest Home area. Cutter, Deep Woods Off, Repel, etc. did NOTHING. I bought some Vanilla Extract and will try soon. They worry the hell out of turkeys as well. Taking pictures of a dead bird and they were swarming around his head. Spawn of Satan!
Posted By: stl32

Re: Bull Gnats! - 03/25/20 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by YAK-EM'
Vanilla Extract

What rate do you mix it with water

Re: Bull Gnats! - 03/25/20 04:46 PM

Found a repellent that's works very well. Worked for me yesterday. It is called Buggins Insect Repellent. Repels gnats and no-see-ums. Smells like peppermint.

Re: Bull Gnats! - 03/25/20 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by CB1
Found a repellent that's works very well. Worked for me yesterday. It is called Buggins Insect Repellent. Repels gnats and no-see-ums. Smells like peppermint.

Funny you say that. I just logged on to ask if anyone had used Buggins. A friend of mine told me that it worked too.
Posted By: Davyalabama

Re: Bull Gnats! - 03/26/20 09:45 PM

Deet 100 didn't work in Autauga County yesterday.

Re: Bull Gnats! - 03/26/20 09:49 PM

Well we found some facemasks at thomasville feed n seed that MAD used to make that had the screen over the eyes and it was a lifesaver...literally was terrible without it on
Posted By: Turkey

Re: Bull Gnats! - 03/26/20 11:19 PM

I usually hunt in a Bug Tamer suit. It’s warm, but keeps the bugs out.
Posted By: Boom

Re: Bull Gnats! - 03/26/20 11:40 PM

easy - i wear a bug suit . nothing bothers me except uncooperative turkeys

BOOM

Re: Bull Gnats! - 03/27/20 02:14 AM

I picked up some Buggins today at Frisco City Pharmacy They just got a shipment in.
Posted By: k bush

Re: Bull Gnats! - 03/27/20 01:47 PM

Ace Hardware in Grove Hill had several cases of the Buggins yesterday.
Posted By: Thisldu

Re: Bull Gnats! - 03/27/20 02:31 PM

I was digging them out of my ears and nose Wednesday morning. Never seen them this bad. I couldn't see where I was walking because they were getting in my eyes so fast I was blinded.

The devils little children.
Posted By: Swampdrummin

Re: Bull Gnats! - 03/28/20 06:47 AM

This is not a joke. Victoria’s Secret amber Romance lotion is the best gnat repellant you will ever use. Though I also here Victoria’s Secret “bombshell” lotion works great too.

I got the tip on an old forum that referred to it as a Cajun rice farmers trick. I hate those little buggers.
Posted By: wareagle22

Re: Bull Gnats! - 03/28/20 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Swampdrummin
This is not a joke. Victoria’s Secret amber Romance lotion is the best gnat repellant you will ever use. Though I also here Victoria’s Secret “bombshell” lotion works great too.

I got the tip on an old forum that referred to it as a Cajun rice farmers trick. I hate those little buggers.

I use it too and it does seem to work. They still buzz around some but nothing like before putting it on. The Amber Romance perfume does NOT work as good for me though. Make sure to show it to your wife/girlfriend BEFORE you go hunting because you WILL smell like a 2 dolla hoe when you come home!!!!
Posted By: Fun4all

Re: Bull Gnats! - 03/29/20 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by TurkeyJoe
Bug tamer head net. I only use it when the gnats or skeeters become unbearable

This times two! only thing that works, but you have to have a widen brim hat on or the little bastages can get to you!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM