Aldeer.com

O/U turkey guns

Posted By: 3toe

O/U turkey guns - 11/18/19 03:06 AM

I’m in the market for a new turkey thumper. Never had an O/U but have been thinking it’s about time I owned one. For those of you shooting O/U’s for turkey, whats your setup? I’d like it in 20ga shooting TSS 8’s.
Posted By: bhammedic84

Re: O/U turkey guns - 11/18/19 03:10 AM

i have a stoeger condor 20ga O/U it is light shoulders well and accurate, only thing is it does not have selectors and the bottom barrel fires first. i use factory bead and carlson .575 chokes with hevi shot straight 7's right now, but am working on a tss straight 9 load
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: O/U turkey guns - 11/18/19 03:10 AM

I haven't done it yet myself, but I've researched it a good bit. If I were buying one today it would be a CZ
Posted By: bhammedic84

Re: O/U turkey guns - 11/18/19 03:14 AM

ill get pics and post them up tomorrow or i can text them
Posted By: Atoler

Re: O/U turkey guns - 11/18/19 04:21 AM

Yildiz 20ga youth model and have Gundoc cerakote it
Posted By: Booger

Re: O/U turkey guns - 11/18/19 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by bhammedic84
i have a stoeger condor 20ga O/U it is light shoulders well and accurate, only thing is it does not have selectors and the bottom barrel fires first. i use factory bead and carlson .575 chokes with hevi shot straight 7's right now, but am working on a tss straight 9 load

Same here. Love it. They aren't that expensive either. Like Bhammedic84 said, the only draw back is that it does not have a barrel selector or ejectors. I'm fine with not having ejectors but not having the ability to possibly shoot two different chokes is bothersome. However, I shoot two jellyheads using LongbeardXR. It patterns great. I will be shooting TSS next season.
Posted By: wareagle22

Re: O/U turkey guns - 11/18/19 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Atoler

This!!! Squeaky has one and with TSS, it’s bad news. Extremely light and really holds a great pattern. I watched him mow some down with it this spring and was really impressed.
Posted By: Booger

Re: O/U turkey guns - 11/18/19 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by wareagle22

This!!! Squeaky has one and with TSS, it’s bad news. Extremely light and really holds a great pattern. I watched him mow some down with it this spring and was really impressed.

I want one of those in a .410. How durable are they?
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: O/U turkey guns - 11/18/19 06:33 PM

CZ Reduced length 20. Short and light. Metal is Cerakote Armour Black , wood is factory matte finish. I use Carlson extended Improved Modified in the bottom pipe Full in the top. Open sights, Williams rear , Tru-Glo front. CZ has chrome lined barrels. Throws great patterns without super tight chokes. I shoot #9s , puts about 285 in 10" at 40 yards , very even pattern too.
Posted By: top cat

Re: O/U turkey guns - 11/18/19 07:02 PM

Heavy I'd think
Posted By: Turkey

Re: O/U turkey guns - 11/18/19 07:38 PM

I have a Cynergy that I've used for turkey hunting. When setting up (sitting on the ground with the gun on my knee), it feels strangely muzzle heavy. It makes sense with 2 barrels and 2 chokes. And I didn't say it feels bad. It just feels different. The biggest benefit you read about is the ability to have 2 different chokes, making it easier to better cover a range of shot distances.

Re: O/U turkey guns - 11/19/19 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by top cat
Heavy I'd think

Not heavy, O/U & SXS have no receiver , bolt and such. My CZ has 24" barrels and is the same length as a compact 870. Weighs about the same too.

Re: O/U turkey guns - 11/19/19 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by 2Dogs
CZ Reduced length 20. Short and light. Metal is Cerakote Armour Black , wood is factory matte finish. I use Carlson extended Improved Modified in the bottom pipe Full in the top. Open sights, Williams rear , Tru-Glo front. CZ has chrome lined barrels. Throws great patterns without super tight chokes. I shoot #9s , puts about 285 in 10" at 40 yards , very even pattern too.

Is this the redhead model?

Re: O/U turkey guns - 11/19/19 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by wareagle22

They will sure enough put a hurting on a longbeard. They will put a hurtin on your end too when you shoot the moa load! To me, it’s the best made o/u in the sub 1k price range.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: O/U turkey guns - 11/19/19 03:00 AM

Is that the youth SPZ ME? 24” barrels? What chokes are you running?
Posted By: BrentM

Re: O/U turkey guns - 11/19/19 04:01 AM

Ned look at the ATI turkey/fowl if you can find one.

Re: O/U turkey guns - 11/19/19 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by 3toe

Is this the redhead model?

Yes. I bought mine used via Gunbroker.

Re: O/U turkey guns - 11/19/19 12:30 PM

Is that the youth SPZ ME? 24” barrels? What chokes are you running?

It’s the one with 24” barrels, not sure about the model number

Re: O/U turkey guns - 11/20/19 08:08 PM

I had a little time today and stopped by my local Academy. They didn't have the 20ga Yildiz but I was able to handle the same model in 12ga. That may be one of the lightest 12ga's I've ever picked up, And it had 28" barrel on it. Definitely in my consideration list.
Posted By: BC

Re: O/U turkey guns - 11/20/19 10:42 PM

I had a little time today and stopped by my local Academy. They didn't have the 20ga Yildiz but I was able to handle the same model in 12ga. That may be one of the lightest 12ga's I've ever picked up, And it had 28" barrel on it. Definitely in my consideration list.

Light equals recoil. I know a guy who set up a Yildiz 20 O/U and he won’t even shoot it anymore.

Re: O/U turkey guns - 11/21/19 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by BC
[quote=3toe]I had a little time today and stopped by my local Academy. They didn't have the 20ga Yildiz but I was able to handle the same model in 12ga. That may be one of the lightest 12ga's I've ever picked up, And it had 28" barrel on it. Definitely in my consideration list.

Light equals recoil. I know a guy who set up a Yildiz 20 O/U and he won’t even shoot it anymore.
[/quote

His ears can’t handle the recoil eek

They are extremely light. They kick like a sob, but that doesn’t bother me when I’m killing turkeys

Re: O/U turkey guns - 11/21/19 01:14 AM

I have a FIE 12 O/U that I rigged for a turkey gun years ago. It looks like the one in the pics above. Has fixed chokes , the full is about a extra full and modified is like a improved modified. It will shake the fillings in yer teeth loose with any kind of turkey load . Waaaay too much gun with TSS.
Posted By: North40R

Re: O/U turkey guns - 11/21/19 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by BC

I've heard some stories about the recoil with these. I looked at them for my wife a couple years ago and was told flat out "No" by folks that had them.
Posted By: JUGHEAD

Re: O/U turkey guns - 11/21/19 06:42 PM

If ya'll you goobers didn't think it necessary to put 2 ounces of shot and 50 grains of powder in a damn 20 gauge load, the recoil wouldn't be nearly as bad. Prolly not a bad idea to be locked and ready in case you run into a pissed off grizzly bear in an Alabama or Tennessee national forest though. grin
Posted By: sj22

Re: O/U turkey guns - 11/21/19 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by JUGHEAD
If ya'll you goobers didn't think it necessary to put 2 ounces of shot and 50 grains of powder in a damn 20 gauge load, the recoil wouldn't be nearly as bad. Prolly not a bad idea to be locked and ready in case you run into a pissed off grizzly bear in an Alabama or Tennessee national forest though. grin

That’s my thoughts as well, I’ve only used it one season and the 1 5/8 ounce load of 9’s is what I shot and I really don’t see the need for anything more. I have no desire to shoot one past 40 yards and I think this load will get the job done a little farther if I misjudge him.
Posted By: JUGHEAD

Re: O/U turkey guns - 11/21/19 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by sj22

That’s my thoughts as well, I’ve only used it one season and the 1 5/8 ounce load of 9’s is what I shot and I really don’t see the need for anything more. I have no desire to shoot one past 40 yards and I think this load will get the job done a little farther if I misjudge him.
If you do your part, that load will MASH one at 60 yards.....I promise you that!

Re: O/U turkey guns - 11/21/19 10:14 PM

If you do your part, that load will MASH one at 60 yards.....I promise you that!

Hey Chad, I'm sure you have an O/U you want to sell. PM me. smile
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: O/U turkey guns - 11/21/19 10:26 PM

Is it overkill? Probably...........but I want the pink mist.

[Linked Image]

Re: O/U turkey guns - 11/21/19 11:39 PM

I'll make that promise as well.
Posted By: Haybale

Re: O/U turkey guns - 11/22/19 03:52 AM

I'll make that promise as well.

Me three. Proven fact
Posted By: bama1971

Re: O/U turkey guns - 11/22/19 02:07 PM

What I did^
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Stob

Re: O/U turkey guns - 11/22/19 02:55 PM

My son's youth 870 20ga. will get your attention with a 3" turkey load.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: O/U turkey guns - 11/22/19 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Stob
My son's youth 870 20ga. will get your attention with a 3" turkey load.

I got my first 20ga ever, about 6 months ago...a Stoeger 3020. I've never even shot a 20ga until this past weekend when I finally shot it for the very first time. I had a couple of boxes of bird shot that I picked up a while back, so I shot it a few times, just to make sure it functions.

Now, when I made the decision to switch from 12ga to 20ga, I was a little concerned because there was something really satisfying about the major *thud* from that 12ga when you pop a turkey in the face with it, and I was afraid the little 20 might not be as satisfying, because it would presumably have noticeably less recoil.

Again, I've never even shot a 20ga until this weekend.......well that Remington Heavy Dove birdshot kicked a bit more than I anticipated, so I can only imagine what awaits when I start patterning the TSS I picked up a while back.

Let's just say, I think this one will be equally satisfying as those 12ga Longbeards, if not more so.
Posted By: hunterturf

Re: O/U turkey guns - 11/22/19 04:14 PM

[img]https://imgur.com/a/mN8GiX0[/img]

410 sxs. Vortex venom. Shoots the apex 9.5 really well.

Will had a sight put on a Stevens 311. Has a full barrel and a mod barrel. 2 3/4” gun. Shoots the apex 8s. Need to do a little filing to get the barrels shoot to the same poi
© 2024 ALDEER.COM