Aldeer.com

Full turkey mount?

Posted By: AU7MM08

Full turkey mount? - 08/17/19 12:31 AM

What should one expect to spend to get a complete turkey mounted?
Posted By: Dublgrumpy

Re: Full turkey mount? - 08/17/19 01:01 AM

Probly quite a bit. I paid $200 around 1985 to have one mounted in a flying position. Good luck.
Posted By: sj22

Re: Full turkey mount? - 08/17/19 01:09 AM

Just paid $675
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Full turkey mount? - 08/17/19 01:09 AM

$600 for a quality mount
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Full turkey mount? - 08/17/19 07:29 PM

I’ve got one at the taxi now for $800. Hicks in Northport wanted $1,200.
Posted By: ALFisher

Re: Full turkey mount? - 08/18/19 12:30 AM

500-750 and I’d question someone who said they could do it for a whole lot less than that and stay in business.

Re: Full turkey mount? - 08/18/19 01:55 AM

My taxidermist sends the heads off to be freeze dried, which is supposedly preferred to just putting a plastic head on there. But I’m no expert in taxidermy.
Posted By: Dublgrumpy

Re: Full turkey mount? - 08/18/19 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Remington270
My taxidermist sends the heads off to be freeze dried, which is supposedly preferred to just putting a plastic head on there. But I’m no expert in taxidermy.

Gary Hubbard mounted my turkey years ago. He told me that freeze drying was the only way to make it look realistic. After more than 30 years, mine still looks like it's flying away. You made the right choice. I have seen others done differently, but can promise you there is no comparison. I haven't talked to Mr. Gary in years & can only assume he's still living. He's mounted deer for me as well & have had them back in only 3 months. He has never taken in too much stuff that he couldn't do the job fairly quick. He's a heck of a taxidermist. You should be happy with your turkey mount by the freeze dry method.

Re: Full turkey mount? - 08/18/19 02:23 AM

That’s good to hear.
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Full turkey mount? - 08/18/19 11:22 AM

Paid 600$ for the one I mounted
Posted By: Clark8907

Re: Full turkey mount? - 08/19/19 01:25 AM

Black wings Turkey is more but well worth the price. I think its 800-1k.

Re: Full turkey mount? - 08/19/19 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Clark8907
Black wings Turkey is more but well worth the price. I think its 800-1k.

I've also been given them as a recommendation.
Posted By: slick_trick

Re: Full turkey mount? - 08/19/19 03:38 AM

600-1000 these days. I paid $500 but that was years ago. There’s a guy on FB that has impressed me, John beard I think. His heads are incredible.

Re: Full turkey mount? - 08/19/19 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by slick_trick
600-1000 these days. I paid $500 but that was years ago. There’s a guy on FB that has impressed me, John beard I think. His heads are incredible.

I was quoted $1,100 from Blackwing which seems to be in line with the upper end level work.
My thoughts, no sense doing a full body mount unless it's going to be good.

I'll check out John Beard.
Posted By: odocoileus

Re: Full turkey mount? - 08/19/19 02:51 PM

Damn that almost more than the hunt is gonna cost us!
Posted By: geeb1

Re: Full turkey mount? - 08/19/19 03:43 PM

Cally Morris did three for me years ago. Not sure what he charges now
Posted By: hallb

Re: Full turkey mount? - 08/19/19 04:08 PM

So what state do you need to keep the turkey in if you're doing a full mount? Fully intact, bag it and freeze it?
Posted By: foldemup

Re: Full turkey mount? - 08/19/19 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by AU7MM08

I was quoted $1,100 from Blackwing which seems to be in line with the upper end level work.

Ouch, he won another stoopid contest. It was $800-850 just 2 years ago.

Re: Full turkey mount? - 08/19/19 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by foldemup
Originally Posted by AU7MM08

Ouch, he won another stoopid contest. It was $800-850 just 2 years ago.

Called Birds Only outside Nashville, $1,100 also eek
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Full turkey mount? - 08/19/19 07:39 PM

Tommy Knight of Catonment Fl did all of mine(5). Damn good work.
Posted By: AU coonhunter

Re: Full turkey mount? - 08/19/19 11:32 PM

Blake Wilson in Union Grove does a jam up job as well.

Re: Full turkey mount? - 08/20/19 06:13 PM

Mike at black wings wins almost every contest he enters. You got to pay to have the best. His regular mounts look just as good as his competition birds. Only things he does different is give competition birds a butthole.
Posted By: Ruger7mag

Re: Full turkey mount? - 08/21/19 02:36 AM

Birds Only does amazing work. He has done 4 for my buddy. He'll be the guy I use if I ever decide to have one mounted.
Posted By: hootn

Re: Full turkey mount? - 08/21/19 03:03 AM

I will probably use black wings if and when I kill a rio to put on the wall. that will finish up my mounted slam with all the birds having at 1 1/4 inch spurs. ive already got 4 full body mounts. like I said eastern, osceola, and merriams. also one being a Kansas double beard. at the time it would have been in the top 10 of double beards taken in Kansas. it wasn't a pure rio, a hybrid, with more eastern traits than a Rio.

scott
Posted By: dagwood

Re: Full turkey mount? - 08/21/19 03:26 PM

If it's not wall mounted, you need to plan on an acrylic case or it will stay dusty. Figure 5-600 for case.
Posted By: AU_trout_bum

Re: Full turkey mount? - 08/22/19 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by AU coonhunter
Blake Wilson in Union Grove does a jam up job as well.

The only person I'd take a duck, turkey, or any other bird to.
Posted By: wmd

Re: Full turkey mount? - 08/22/19 02:19 AM

I paid $600 in 2014 to have one done. The guy that is mounting the deer my son killed back in January is either $800 or $850 for a turkey.

Just wondering ... do you have one in the freezer that you are wanting to get mounted or just planning ahead for next season?

Re: Full turkey mount? - 08/22/19 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by wmd
I paid $600 in 2014 to have one done. The guy that is mounting the deer my son killed back in January is either $800 or $850 for a turkey.

Just wondering ... do you have one in the freezer that you are wanting to get mounted or just planning ahead for next season?

Planning ahead.

Re: Full turkey mount? - 08/23/19 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by wmd

A big gobbler requires some maneuvering to fit into a standard size freezer, even one that's completely empty...
Posted By: odocoileus

Re: Full turkey mount? - 08/23/19 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Remington270
Originally Posted by wmd

A big gobbler requires some maneuvering to fit into a standard size freezer, even one that's completely empty...

Here's mine from this year laugh

[Linked Image]

Re: Full turkey mount? - 08/23/19 04:05 PM

That's awesome beers
Posted By: Big Game Hunter

Re: Full turkey mount? - 08/23/19 04:54 PM

$600 is the bottom of the barrel price. It's harder to hide "mistakes" on birds that it is on fur bearing critters.

For a good quality mount you'd start at $800 and go up from there from what I've seen.

If you want the best; call Shane Smith. All those taxidermists the others listed above that are "great" bird guys learned from Shane. He gets $1500 I think. That's more than I'm willing to pay but he is the best.
Posted By: Ruger7mag

Re: Full turkey mount? - 08/23/19 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Big Game Hunter
$600 is the bottom of the barrel price. It's harder to hide "mistakes" on birds that it is on fur bearing critters.

For a good quality mount you'd start at $800 and go up from there from what I've seen.

If you want the best; call Shane Smith. All those taxidermists the others listed above that are "great" bird guys learned from Shane. He gets $1500 I think. That's more than I'm willing to pay but he is the best.

Shane and John from Birds Only just hosted a 4 day seminar together.
Posted By: Big Game Hunter

Re: Full turkey mount? - 08/23/19 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ruger7mag
Originally Posted by Big Game Hunter

Shane and John from Birds Only just hosted a 4 day seminar together.

I saw that Shane had one last week.
Posted By: trkymn6f0

Re: Full turkey mount? - 08/24/19 01:02 AM

Posted By: bayouturkey

Re: Full turkey mount? - 08/24/19 02:21 AM

Mike at black wings wins almost every contest he enters. You got to pay to have the best. His regular mounts look just as good as his competition birds. Only things he does different is give competition birds a butthole.

If you don’t mind me asking, how in the hell did you figure this out?
Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Re: Full turkey mount? - 08/24/19 03:21 AM

Does he add poop too?
Posted By: OlTimer

Re: Full turkey mount? - 08/24/19 09:53 AM

Good judges always check for buttholes.....

Re: Full turkey mount? - 08/25/19 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by bayouturkey

If you don’t mind me asking, how in the hell did you figure this out?

I asked him to mount my bird just like he would a competition bird and he said well if you want your bird to have a butthole I will but my process is the exact same. Mike and I have become.pretty good friends over the last several years as well and I have asked a multitude of questions about it. How I know he has been winning all the competitions, well when every couple months he throws up pics of another win on FB you kind of get the point. He won this year at the NWTF and has a bird going to world this year. If I was a betting man, I would put money he will win that as well.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM