Aldeer.com

Curious about something

Posted By: JUGHEAD

Curious about something - 04/23/19 10:41 PM

So on days when I don't get to go hunting, during down times, whatever...I really enjoy watching the Hunting Public, Catman, the Pinhoti Project, Bartlett Kimbrough, etc. All of these videos in the woods are great and I obviously really enjoy them. However, I often am curious about one thing in particular. Especially as it pertains to the Hunting Public (just watched them ruin a layup in Missouri) with some of the rookie/Midwestern guys they have on the gun on their hunts, it blows my MIND how many of them screw up an otherwise perfect hunt by not having a clue how to kill (and not run him off and shoot at him running or flying) the turkey when he finally shows himself. This part is absolutely the first thing I give instruction on when I take rookies. Even my 13 year old, rookie turkey hunting son quasi pulled it off last year on his first ever turkey in the woods.

I know a lot of people wait until a turkey goes behind a tree to make a quick, final move with the gun and I'm not saying I haven't successfully done that. Most of these goobers on these videos don't even try that and will jerk the gun around when the turkey is in plain sight, I'm assuming out of sheer panic and nerves because the turkey didn't walk straight down their barrel? I say all of that to say, I'm curious if any of you guys DON'T know about the smooth swing while yelping trick when you get eyes on a turkey, he is in a clear lane, you want him to crane his neck, and you need to make an adjustment with your gun to get on him and make the shot? I feel like it is absolutely the best trick that BrentM ever taught me about turkey hunting. I have had turkeys show nearly 90 degrees off of my gun barrel and been able to get them killed using this trick. It is like the turkey is absolutely expecting to see and hear a hen and it short circuits his brain when yelping starts followed by some smooth, calm motion. Knock on wood, I cannot remember a single turkey that spooked when I did it. They just seem to stand straight up and pose for getting shot, like they have been hypnotized. I honestly don't remember ever seeing/hearing anybody on a video do exactly what I am talking about (of course you often can't see the shooter though) and it makes me wonder if there are other folks out there who don't know that little trick?
Posted By: TurkeyJoe

Re: Curious about something - 04/23/19 10:55 PM

Never tried it before, but I’ll keep it in mind if I get caught out of position. Thanks for the tip.
Posted By: Ant67

Re: Curious about something - 04/23/19 11:43 PM

Great tip!
Posted By: Gobble4me757

Re: Curious about something - 04/23/19 11:46 PM

LOL if I had know that and it worked like you said, I wouldn't have as many misses under the belt the past couple of years lol Great tip!
Posted By: Atoler

Re: Curious about something - 04/23/19 11:57 PM

I just swing my gun around and shoot them. Just like a deer, a turkey will pause when they see movement. Never tried yelping while I did it, but that could very well make them pause longer.

But, going back to these YouTube shows, I think it’s a combination of things. One being that they are trying to get it on film, the second being that they aren’t necessarily good turkey killers. The hunting public specifically, doesn’t really impress me with their tactics or the amount of dead turkeys they produce, for having so many people in the woods all season long. Catman is a better woodsman, but kind of the same thing. He’s self taught, and we both know that his primary place isn’t exactly tough to kill birds on.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Curious about something - 04/24/19 12:27 AM

I rarely put my gun up on my knee, usually just lay it across my lap. Smooth draw and shoot has worked for years for me, sometimes with the yelping, usually not.

A variation I have used for 30 years when guiding some who is taking too long to shoot a ready-to-kill gobbler.....I yelp a couple a three times and say "kill him" in a normal voice. Never had a bird run on my spoken word. I had a fella I was guiding for the Wilcox Academy hunt one year take too long, bird was 20 yards away in the wide open. I yelped and said "kill him" and the damn fool tried to stand up to shoot. WTH?????? Time he got to his feet the bird was 100 yards out and going up like a rocket.
Posted By: NFHunter

Re: Curious about something - 04/24/19 12:29 AM

Thanks for that tip. Never heard it before either.
Posted By: bayouturkey

Re: Curious about something - 04/24/19 12:30 AM

What I can't figure out are grown men jacking their rods over these youtube channels. I guess I hunt for purely personal reasons, and don't care to broadcast it all over social media.
Posted By: BrentM

Re: Curious about something - 04/24/19 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by bayouturkey
What I can't figure out are grown men jacking their rods over these youtube channels. I guess I hunt for purely personal reasons, and don't care to broadcast it all over social media.

I like watching people kill turkeys in the woods without commercials.

Re: Curious about something - 04/24/19 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by BrentM

I like watching people kill turkeys in the woods without commercials.

I don't disagree with you about that. I just cannot get in my mind broadcasting all over social media your business.

Heck you can practically trace the foot steps of the Hunting Public. I recognized most all the turn ins and half the roads they were getting on turkeys at in Alabama. And I don't even live there.
Posted By: Gobl4me

Re: Curious about something - 04/24/19 01:08 AM

Pimping out public land doesn't help anybody. The social media hunters will show up and start pushing regulars out of areas by sleeping in there trucks and other shenanigans. They will all meet up in the campgrounds and post about it and more will come further complicating the problem. Don't believe me - you should. I'm from Arkansas and have watched it happen to my local duck hunting wmas/nwrs. Its like de ja vu
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: Curious about something - 04/24/19 01:23 AM

The hunting public just posted a pretty awesome video of a MO hunt tonight on a banded gobbler for ol Ted. I figured you haters would like to know
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: Curious about something - 04/24/19 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by crenshawco
The hunting public just posted a pretty awesome video of a MO hunt tonight on a banded gobbler for ol Ted. I figured you haters would like to know

Don’t forget to jack your rod 😂😂😂

Re: Curious about something - 04/24/19 02:10 AM

Jug, I know the trick. I yelped and tried to swing my gun on one this year and the stupid sling hung on my knee. After I spastically jerked at it for 5 seconds the gobbler left 🤦🏼‍♂️
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Curious about something - 04/24/19 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Southwood7

Jug, I know the trick. I yelped and tried to swing my gun on one this year and the stupid sling hung on my knee. After I spastically jerked at it for 5 seconds the gobbler left 🤦🏼‍♂️

I take the sling off when I sit down.....
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Curious about something - 04/24/19 02:18 AM

Just a slow swing works best for me. Calling during the swing has caused more to spook than without calling for me, so I just slow swing on them.
Posted By: Johnal3

Re: Curious about something - 04/24/19 02:40 AM

It’s just personal preference bud. I enjoy the shows because I might get to hunt once a week and live “vicariously” through people that get to do it more than me and capture it on film.
Honestly, it sounds like you’re jacking your rod saying you know it all and can’t learn anything else, could do it better, and don’t want to share any of your “super duper” boar Tom killin secrets. But that’s just my opinion.

Re: Curious about something - 04/24/19 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by Johnal3

It’s just personal preference bud. I enjoy the shows because I might get to hunt once a week and live “vicariously” through people that get to do it more than me and capture it on film.
Honestly, it sounds like you’re jacking your rod saying you know it all and can’t learn anything else, could do it better, and don’t want to share any of your “super duper” boar Tom killin secrets. But that’s just my opinion.

You could not be further off base. I’m far from knowing it all. And don’t have any “super duper” secrets.
I’m simply a guy who loves to turkey hunt and can’t stand the effects of social media on hunting.
Posted By: Gobble4me757

Re: Curious about something - 04/24/19 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Atoler
I just swing my gun around and shoot them. Just like a deer, a turkey will pause when they see movement. Never tried yelping while I did it, but that could very well make them pause longer.

Not every time...had a biggun at 35 yards last year I had to swing on and as soon as I swung, joker went a runnin and a couple of saplings got blasted lol
Posted By: Johnal3

Re: Curious about something - 04/24/19 03:06 AM

You could not be further off base. I’m far from knowing it all. And don’t have any “super duper” secrets.
I’m simply a guy who loves to turkey hunt and can’t stand the effects of social media on hunting.

That makes more sense to me. I don’t like the way most hunting has gone either. Some of the guys mentioned above just do things like I do, so I enjoy watching it. I don’t watch anyone sitting on a field with decoy out and texting on their phone. I don’t do that, and don’t enjoy seeing it. I also don’t want my kids growing up hunting that way. It’s just not the same as back when....

Re: Curious about something - 04/24/19 03:10 AM

That makes more sense to me. I don’t like the way most hunting has gone either. Some of the guys mentioned above just do things like I do, so I enjoy watching it. I don’t watch anyone sitting on a field with decoy out and texting on their phone. I don’t do that, and don’t enjoy seeing it. I also don’t want my kids growing up hunting that way. It’s just not the same as back when....

I completely understand and agree
Posted By: BC

Re: Curious about something - 04/24/19 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by BhamFred

I can't say I do it every time, but I do it a lot. That sling flopping around loose is the biggest deterrent to movement you can have on your shotgun, and with all the movement it makes when trying to shoulder it would be the most obvious eye catcher for a turkey even if you were slow shouldering.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Curious about something - 04/24/19 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by BC

I can't say I do it every time, but I do it a lot. That sling flopping around loose is the biggest deterrent to movement you can have on your shotgun, and with all the movement it makes when trying to shoulder it would be the most obvious eye catcher for a turkey even if you were slow shouldering.

It always amazes me at the folks that like a loose sling. I can’t stand a loose sling. I changed over around 20 years ago and never had to worry about it since.
Posted By: Rockhound

Re: Curious about something - 04/24/19 11:57 AM

I just swing my gun around and shoot them. Just like a deer, a turkey will pause when they see movement.

Yea that's not guaranteed. The last bird I heard on my farm, I called him up to 20 yards and had to move my gun maybe 3 inches to get on him. I thought I could move and kill him. Hes still flying.
Posted By: sj22

Re: Curious about something - 04/24/19 01:22 PM

Always have too!
Posted By: Avengedsevenfold

Re: Curious about something - 04/24/19 02:47 PM

Lot of talk about rod jackin in here...
Posted By: Avengedsevenfold

Re: Curious about something - 04/24/19 02:50 PM

Like Fred talking about the turkey not spooking when he says “kill him” in a normal voice...a good sharp “HEY ______________” (I’ll let you insert the adjective of your choice) has stopped every deer I’ve ever used it on.

Food for thought
Posted By: BrentM

Re: Curious about something - 04/24/19 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by sj22

Always have too!

First thing I do is take the sling off. A while back there was a big argument on one of the Facebook turkey hunting sites about taking your sling off when you sit down to a turkey. Couple goofballs talking about how stupid it was. Turns out most of the sling removers were Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, etc turkey hunters and the ones that thought it was stupid was mostly a bunch of Yankees that sit in tents and wear black clothes and shoot at turkeys over decoys. slap
Posted By: Atoler

Re: Curious about something - 04/24/19 04:13 PM

I take my sling off deer hunting. Turkey hunting, I just trap it with my hand so that it’s tight to the gun. I do that more as a second nature anytime the gun is not on my shoulder.

Re: Curious about something - 04/24/19 06:17 PM

I take my sling off deer hunting. Turkey hunting, I just trap it with my hand so that it’s tight to the gun. I do that more as a second nature anytime the gun is not on my shoulder.

I do the same thing 99% of the time.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Curious about something - 04/24/19 09:36 PM

They are strange. I've had them dang near run over me and I've had them spook because I moved nothing more than my eyes when they were up close.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM