Aldeer.com

Permethrin spray for ticks

Posted By: Dubie

Permethrin spray for ticks - 03/10/19 09:05 PM

Where do you buy yours? Do you just spray your turkey clothes down and let them dry before the season or do you spray them down each time you go?
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: Permethrin spray for ticks - 03/10/19 09:06 PM

Walmart. Sawyer brand
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Permethrin spray for ticks - 03/10/19 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by deadeye48
Walmart. Sawyer brand

^^^this^^^

I spray mine down good right before season and they're good to go. I rarely wash them though. Supposedly effective through a few washings though.
Posted By: James

Re: Permethrin spray for ticks - 03/10/19 09:29 PM

I use Sawyer also, but i swear them bastages are getting immune to that also lol
Posted By: BOFF

Re: Permethrin spray for ticks - 03/10/19 10:08 PM

Thread from past making own mixture.

mash here

God Bless
David B.
Posted By: pcola4

Re: Permethrin spray for ticks - 03/10/19 10:13 PM

Works great!
Posted By: lawnman

Re: Permethrin spray for ticks - 03/10/19 11:14 PM

Love this stuff. Started using it while bowhunting in Illinois several years ago. As far as I can recall I've not had a tick or chiggers since. Treat my clothing at the start of season and give them a little shot before I leave in the morning. Problem solved.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Permethrin spray for ticks - 03/10/19 11:19 PM

I use the Sawyer stuff too, I spray extra around my cuffs , boot tops, waist , shoulders and cap. I use something with a high % Deet on my skin. I rarely ever get one .
Posted By: lances

Re: Permethrin spray for ticks - 03/10/19 11:21 PM

Agreed
Posted By: Sifers23

Re: Permethrin spray for ticks - 03/11/19 12:09 AM

I also use Sawyer it will works very well, I have been in places I should have been covered in ticks and came out with none. The mosquitoes though, they will probably come visit your face I have been packing a Thermocell for those.
Posted By: 7x57_Mauser

Re: Permethrin spray for ticks - 03/11/19 12:10 AM

Our camouflage utility uniforms were pre-treated with permethrin and on the little hang tag it advised us that the more we washed them, the less effective they'd be. So, taking that into account, last turkey season I did as GomerPyle did and treated them and tried to avoid washing if I could stand it. A turkey ain't gonna wind you, so as long as you can tolerate your own musk, you're good to go.

****Disclaimer**** I'm O- blood type and for some reason have never had a tick burrow in to me (???) Chiggers, that's another story!
Posted By: Zbrann

Re: Permethrin spray for ticks - 03/11/19 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by BOFF

Thread from past making own mixture.

mash here

God Bless
David B.

X2.... mix my own and apply with a pump sprayer
Posted By: Carlos

Re: Permethrin spray for ticks - 03/11/19 02:01 AM

Go to a farm supply store and by permethrin (non petroleum based). Mix about 2oz in a 20oz spray bottle, fill with water and you are good to go. Treat your clothing, boots, etc. let dry and they will be good for a season.
Posted By: GKelly

Re: Permethrin spray for ticks - 03/11/19 08:42 PM

water based permethrin
6oz to the gallon dip clothes in wring out and let air dry itll last a few months and wont wash out. or you can dilute it down the same rate 1oz to 20oz water and use it as a spray
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Permethrin spray for ticks - 03/11/19 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by GKelly
water based permethrin
6oz to the gallon dip clothes in wring out and let air dry itll last a few months and wont wash out. or you can dilute it down the same rate 1oz to 20oz water and use it as a spray

It may just be the manufacturers being overly cautions due to lawyers, but pretty much everything I've read about permethrin stresses not letting it come into contact with your skin. Even goes so far as to recommend not touching the fabric until it's totally dry. I believe I'd go with the spray. Health warnings aside, it just seems like it'd be less messy and wasteful.
Posted By: GKelly

Re: Permethrin spray for ticks - 03/11/19 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by GomerPyle
Originally Posted by GKelly
water based permethrin

It may just be the manufacturers being overly cautions due to lawyers, but pretty much everything I've read about permethrin stresses not letting it come into contact with your skin. Even goes so far as to recommend not touching the fabric until it's totally dry. I believe I'd go with the spray. Health warnings aside, it just seems like it'd be less messy and wasteful.

that's just CYA statements someone will come out 10 years from now and blame permethrin for some kind of cancer they can say we had it on the label stupid. the military treats their uniforms with it using the soak method once its dry its bonded to the fibers and water/sweat wont release it. studies have been done permethrin is extremely safe to mammals a whole lot more than deet is. I dip my dogs in it, spray the house, yard, sheds... at different dilutions. it's good stuff just dont get petroleum base everything you spray will smell like kerosene for a week and a half. one thing I do is run my treated clothes thru one wash cycle just in case to make sure any additives are gone.
Posted By: Mully

Re: Permethrin spray for ticks - 03/12/19 12:11 PM

I bought a can of Sawyer's while at Bass Pro yesterday and treated my jacket, pants, shirt and hat last night. I have just enough left that I am going to treat one more pair of pants. I don't find ticks on me often but hopefully this will eliminate the few times that I do find them on me.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM