Aldeer.com

3" shells in 3.5" chamber

Posted By: Powpow65

3" shells in 3.5" chamber - 01/10/19 02:35 AM

Picked up a Moss 835 at a pawnshop yesterday. Just to good a deal to pass up, but never had a 3.5" gun. Should my 3" shells pattern ok or do I need to get 3.5"?
Posted By: YEKRUT

Re: 3" shells in 3.5" chamber - 01/10/19 02:44 AM

3” will be fine
Posted By: BC

Re: 3" shells in 3.5" chamber - 01/10/19 02:46 AM

They will pattern close, but all guns are different. You will have no issues shooting a 3’ in a 3 1/2 gun. Just don’t do it the other way around.
Posted By: JA

Re: 3" shells in 3.5" chamber - 01/10/19 02:47 AM

3” will be fine. I’ve got a 870 Super Mag that will shoot 3.5”s but I shoot 3” all day with a great pattern.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: 3" shells in 3.5" chamber - 01/10/19 03:06 AM

My stoeger 3500 patterned better (more even and consistent) with 3" than 3.5". This was the case with longbeards, hevi13 (I think that's what they call the non-blend) and the Magblends.
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: 3" shells in 3.5" chamber - 01/10/19 03:23 AM

My 935 patterns better with 3 inch rather than 3.5. I think the extra powder in a 3.5 makes the bb's more chaotics.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: 3" shells in 3.5" chamber - 01/10/19 03:43 AM

If it'll hold a 3.5" shell, that's what it's shooting. Mine patterned better with 3.5" shells.
Posted By: Powpow65

Re: 3" shells in 3.5" chamber - 01/10/19 03:50 AM

Good to know, I just got 3 boxes of 3" TSS delivered last week plus the 3" I already have so I didn't want to go buy anymore. Gun has a truglo ssx choke tube .670 I think, and I'm shooting #9 federal TSS. I'll see how it paterns after deer season.
Posted By: 7x57_Mauser

Re: 3" shells in 3.5" chamber - 01/11/19 03:45 AM

Shooting a 3" out of a 3.5" is more advantageous vs a 3.5" out of a 3.5" chamber. There's an advantage due to the equivalent of having a longer forcing cone by shooting a 3" vs shooting a 3.5". Take it for what it's worth, but looks like most of these gents have better success with the 3" load.
Posted By: Out back

Re: 3" shells in 3.5" chamber - 01/11/19 07:34 AM

3" is much better in my opinion. Those 3.5s are just punishing your shoulder for no added benefit.
I shoot 3s in any of my 3.5 chambers.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: 3" shells in 3.5" chamber - 01/11/19 01:11 PM

If I had to shoot an 835 with 3.5 inch shells to turkey hunt..I'd quit. To hell with that face mashing shoulder breaking POS. That said I'd say shoot the 3.5s gun shocked loco
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: 3" shells in 3.5" chamber - 01/11/19 02:03 PM

20ga
Posted By: Dubie

Re: 3" shells in 3.5" chamber - 01/11/19 02:05 PM

So why all the negatives of the 3.5 inch? Educate me, new to turkey hunting. I have a Rem 870 SuperMagnum...I planned on shooting 3.5 in shells out of it, but after rethinking this post, I'm rethinking my strategy.

So larger shell, more powder, more shot, etc. is bad???
Posted By: Tailwalk7

Re: 3" shells in 3.5" chamber - 01/11/19 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dubie
So why all the negatives of the 3.5 inch? Educate me, new to turkey hunting. I have a Rem 870 SuperMagnum...I planned on shooting 3.5 in shells out of it, but after rethinking this post, I'm rethinking my strategy.

The new cool thing is tss. Tungsten super shot, not sure if you are familiar with it. If you are not, than in short you can shoot tss out of a 20 guage with a 3” shell and out shoot any non tss 12 guage 3.5” shell. Aka more enjoyable to carry and just as or deadlier than normal 12 guage turkey loads..

It all depends on what shell you are planning to shoot. And when I say out shoot I’m simply talking numbers with 9shot in a 10” circle at 40yds. Generally that’s what the standard is for these turkey freaks lol

Pending pattern.....

Re: 3" shells in 3.5" chamber - 01/11/19 03:10 PM

Different Gun/Choke/Shell combinations will pattern differently....I went into it with no preference or preconceived notions, just tried several different shells and a couple of chokes. For whatever reason, the 3's all seemed to pattern better than the 3.5's. I don't have an answer as to why, although 7x57's "forcing cone" theory is intriguing (no idea if that really is it or not). In both my guns, a Primos Tightwad choke and 3" Longbeards is the ticket (can't remember if they're #5's or #6's, I'd have to look).
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: 3" shells in 3.5" chamber - 01/11/19 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by BhamFred
If I had to shoot an 835 with 3.5 inch shells to turkey hunt..I'd quit. To hell with that face mashing shoulder breaking POS.

yup; used that combo in my young & dumb years & can attest - it freakin' hurts on both ends!!! i remember being sore days after a successful hunt LOL

Re: 3" shells in 3.5" chamber - 01/11/19 04:19 PM

I shot mine exactly twice. Only reason I shot it second time was I figured I had done something wrong for it to kick that bad. Nope. Dropped by local gun store on way home from range and sold it. POS
Posted By: Zbrann

Re: 3" shells in 3.5" chamber - 01/11/19 06:45 PM

I set up an 835 for my dad. Shoots 3in - 2oz Hal recipe TSS with a .710 choke very well.
Posted By: goodman_hunter

Re: 3" shells in 3.5" chamber - 01/11/19 07:08 PM

dont shoot slugs out of that gun, it actually has a 10 gauge bore. just a fyi

Re: 3" shells in 3.5" chamber - 01/11/19 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by goodman_hunter

dewwut? I thought the outer diameter of the barrel was the same as most 10ga, but the barrel was still a 12ga bore.........in other words, thicker walled barrel.
Posted By: mr.clif

Re: 3" shells in 3.5" chamber - 01/11/19 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by GomerPyle
Originally Posted by goodman_hunter

dewwut? I thought the outer diameter of the barrel was the same as most 10ga, but the barrel was still a 12ga bore.........in other words, thicker walled barrel.

Nope it's overbored

Re: 3" shells in 3.5" chamber - 01/11/19 07:57 PM

Well....I learned something today. Just did a google search and confirmed it, although it said if you have one with a rifled slug barrel, it will be standard size.
Posted By: JayHook2

Re: 3" shells in 3.5" chamber - 01/11/19 09:38 PM

If I had to shoot an 835 with 3.5 inch shells to turkey hunt..I'd quit. To hell with that face mashing shoulder breaking POS. That said I'd say shoot the 3.5s gun shocked loco

What Fred said! Just make sure you don't pattern it, that way you won't flinch the first time you pull the trigger. Back in the day watched a friend shoot one...a big ol boy...all he could say was @%#^^%% ^%$@$# this @^&@$@

And then he really got mad when his nose and lip were both bleeding. Sold next day at the paper mill cheap.
Posted By: top cat

Re: 3" shells in 3.5" chamber - 01/11/19 10:12 PM

It will be fine. Folks that have never punched 2oz of shot from a 3.5 are in for a surprise. Kicks like a mule. I've seen it knock guys to the ground. I hate turkeys.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: 3" shells in 3.5" chamber - 01/12/19 12:37 PM

If I were limited to lead, I would still shoot 3.5" shells. My gun shot Winchester Supreme #4 very well. Their 3.5" load has 2 oz of shot at a listed 1300 fps, though they were actually 1350 in the ones I tested. Some companies put over 2 oz in their shells and slow them down; I'd avoid those.
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: 3" shells in 3.5" chamber - 01/13/19 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Powpow65
Picked up a Moss 835 at a pawnshop yesterday. Just to good a deal to pass up, but never had a 3.5" gun. Should my 3" shells pattern ok or do I need to get 3.5"?

Have your dental work checked before shooting that gun. It has a reputation of being the most punishing gun to shoot that was ever made. Buddy of mine had one and did not enjoy shooting it at all. 3 1/2" loads would make you think twice before pulling the trigger
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: 3" shells in 3.5" chamber - 01/13/19 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by ronfromramer
Originally Posted by Powpow65

Have your dental work checked before shooting that gun. It has a reputation of being the most punishing gun to shoot that was ever made. Buddy of mine had one and did not enjoy shooting it at all. 3 1/2" loads would make you think twice before pulling the trigger

I shot an 835 for awhile....it got stole an i wudnt sad at all.

Re: 3" shells in 3.5" chamber - 01/13/19 10:41 PM

I'd a paid someone to steal that POS I had. Kicked 4X what my 870 did and didn't pattern as well.
Posted By: therealhojo

Re: 3" shells in 3.5" chamber - 01/13/19 11:48 PM

I shot mine exactly twice. Only reason I shot it second time was I figured I had done something wrong for it to kick that bad. Nope. Dropped by local gun store on way home from range and sold it. POS

I pulled the trigger on a buddy's 1 time----NEVER again. I wouldn't even think about it.
Posted By: Geeb

Re: 3" shells in 3.5" chamber - 01/17/19 11:22 PM

Do your wallet a favor and pattern Winchester longbeard XR out of it before spending 8-10 dollars per shot for TSS.
Posted By: YEKRUT

Re: 3" shells in 3.5" chamber - 01/17/19 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Geeb

Do your wallet a favor and pattern Winchester longbeard XR out of it before spending 8-10 dollars per shot for TSS.

If money is the hold up call them to 20 yards and just use a dove load or better yet just buy one from the freezer section if you just have to have a turkey. Maybe I’m in the minority or just don’t get out much, but I’ve never heard of anyone going broke hunting turkeys because their ammo is $8-$10 a pop. My ammo is the cheapest thing I use and I probably shoot more than the average turkey hunter.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM