Aldeer.com

Walk in Florida hunt/camp

Posted By: YEKRUT

Walk in Florida hunt/camp - 06/23/18 03:47 AM

A couple of us have been kicking around the idea of a walk in and camp hunt in the south zone sometime in the future. I figure chances are pretty slim on public land in south Florida, but the camping, fun, and experience in itself may just be worth it. It’s not every day you can turkey hunt and be 3rd or 4th on the food chain either. It’s not like there is anything else to do that time of the year.
Posted By: Daggerz

Re: Walk in Florida hunt/camp - 06/23/18 03:54 AM

I’m ready for turkey season!

Re: Walk in Florida hunt/camp - 06/23/18 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Daggerz
I’m ready for turkey season!

Me too man, already got a trip planned and work on some more.
Posted By: Daggerz

Re: Walk in Florida hunt/camp - 06/23/18 04:04 AM

Me too. I’m running calls, everyday...gotta stay fresh!
Posted By: alight1983

Re: Walk in Florida hunt/camp - 06/23/18 04:45 AM

This is an interesting idea for sure.
Posted By: baitstop

Re: Walk in Florida hunt/camp - 06/23/18 09:10 AM

Whatever tries to eat you B will have problems digesting your head!!!! 😂😂
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Walk in Florida hunt/camp - 06/23/18 11:55 AM

get some chest high snake boots...

Re: Walk in Florida hunt/camp - 06/23/18 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by baitstop
Whatever tries to eat you B will have problems digesting your head!!!! 😂😂

You are one to talk! smile It would take a world record anaconda to swallow this thing.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Walk in Florida hunt/camp - 06/23/18 02:03 PM

Watch out for the south FL cougars popcorn
Posted By: mw2015

Re: Walk in Florida hunt/camp - 06/23/18 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by YEKRUT
A couple of us have been kicking around the idea of a walk in and camp hunt in the south zone sometime in the future. I figure chances are pretty slim on public land in south Florida, but the camping, fun, and experience in itself may just be worth it. It’s not every day you can turkey hunt and be 3rd or 4th on the food chain either. It’s not like there is anything else to do that time of the year.

Been there done that as a young man in my late twenties and into my 30's. Public land hunts for deer, hogs, and turkey. Big Cypress National Preserve. You ain't walking in there Yekrut. To turkey hunt you need a swamp buggy or a 4 wheeler modified with a snorkel so you can run through water up to the racks in some places. Only two areas that had turkeys were Bear Island and Turner River. Most of the turkeys are in Bear Island. Some of the best turkey hunting in Turner River requires an 8 mile run through swamp and mud just to get to where you might hear 1. You'll get stuck multiple times. Days of sitting in a stand or walking through water without seeing any game. Good luck getting a quota hunt permit. Heat and humidity is intolerable. Mosquitos are intolerable. Lots of cottonmouths, alligators, and rattlers. You have to haul all your food, ice, water and beer in. Not a pleasure hunt, which is why I gave up turkey and deer hunting south Florida several years ago. It was the type of hunt I enjoyed when I was young. Sitting around the campfire covered in mosquito bites drinking cold beer sharing stories with friends. Nowadays, I enjoy the same thing minus mosquito infestation in your beautiful state or the northern part of mine. rofl beers
Posted By: AU coonhunter

Re: Walk in Florida hunt/camp - 06/23/18 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by mw2015

Been there done that as a young man in my late twenties and into my 30's. Public land hunts for deer, hogs, and turkey. Big Cypress National Preserve. You ain't walking in there Yekrut. To turkey hunt you need a swamp buggy or a 4 wheeler modified with a snorkel so you can run through water up to the racks in some places. Only two areas that had turkeys were Bear Island and Turner River. Most of the turkeys are in Bear Island. Some of the best turkey hunting in Turner River requires an 8 mile run through swamp and mud just to get to where you might hear 1. You'll get stuck multiple times. Days of sitting in a stand or walking through water without seeing any game. Good luck getting a quota hunt permit. Heat and humidity is intolerable. Mosquitos are intolerable. Lots of cottonmouths, alligators, and rattlers. You have to haul all your food, ice, water and beer in. Not a pleasure hunt, which is why I gave up turkey and deer hunting south Florida several years ago. It was the type of hunt I enjoyed when I was young. Sitting around the campfire covered in mosquito bites drinking cold beer sharing stories with friends. Nowadays, I enjoy the same thing minus mosquito infestation in your beautiful state or the northern part of mine. rofl beers

Well dang, don’t make it sound so enjoyable or everyone will want to do it lol. If anyone has any reasonable outfitters or contacts to share send yek or I a pm.
Posted By: Stob

Re: Walk in Florida hunt/camp - 06/23/18 05:58 PM

I lived in Florida for 16 years. You can have it.

Re: Walk in Florida hunt/camp - 06/23/18 08:44 PM

Ok, so it’ll be a miserable camping trip that may turn into a snake hunt.

I guess i can rent a swamp buggy or have someone take me 15 miles back and drop me off and come back in a week. I just think I can find some birds if they exist in a few days of living with them.

I really wasn’t planning on shelling out $2k plus for a private land hunt plus license and getting there and back.
Posted By: n2deer

Re: Walk in Florida hunt/camp - 06/23/18 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag

We saw a few of those at that campground we stayed at. Blahaha

Re: Walk in Florida hunt/camp - 06/24/18 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by n2deer

I remember a dang good time at the pot luck dinner followed up by some beer drinking on the deck and an awkward conversation with some kids/young guys smile Dang that was funny!
Posted By: n2deer

Re: Walk in Florida hunt/camp - 06/24/18 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by n2deer

I remember a dang good time at the pot luck dinner followed up by some beer drinking on the deck and an awkward conversation with some kids/young guys smile Dang that was funny!

Yeah yeah, I stuck my foot in my mouth a little.
Posted By: North40R

Re: Walk in Florida hunt/camp - 06/25/18 04:27 AM

I love to chase them but a walk in camping trip in South Florida is NOT on my bucket list.
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: Walk in Florida hunt/camp - 06/25/18 11:17 AM

Sounds like fun. When are we going?
Posted By: mr.clif

Re: Walk in Florida hunt/camp - 06/25/18 12:01 PM

I'm ya huckleberry name the time and place I'll be there...
Posted By: Out back

Re: Walk in Florida hunt/camp - 06/25/18 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Stob
I lived in Florida for 16 years. You can have it.

The heat is almost intolerable, right here in Central Alabama, near the end of turkey season.
Aint no way I'd go further south for a turkey hunt.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Walk in Florida hunt/camp - 06/25/18 04:58 PM

There was a guy that used to post on the GON turkey forum who went on a South FL trip in early March every year, and he always killed turkeys on public land. But he also posted pictures of the swamp buggy they used to get around. I can't remember exactly how it was made, but it had huge tires on it.

You could probably get your gobbler if you could find someone who has one of those things. Good luck with the project!

Re: Walk in Florida hunt/camp - 06/25/18 08:12 PM

I’ve been checking on swamp buggy rentals already. I’m not pulling a ranger 12 hours is all I know.

Y’all are all looking for reasons not to go, I am looking at reasons TO go. I filled my wife in last night and she said “why don’t you just go on a guided hunt”. Even after i told her how much that would “costed” she didn’t even change her mind. She is scared of snakes though so she don’t count.

Re: Walk in Florida hunt/camp - 06/25/18 08:23 PM

I’ve been checking on swamp buggy rentals already. I’m not pulling a ranger 12 hours is all I know.

Y’all are all looking for reasons not to go, I am looking at reasons TO go. I filled my wife in last night and she said “why don’t you just go on a guided hunt”. Even after i told her how much that would “costed” she didn’t even change her mind. She is scared of snakes though so she don’t count.

Do what makes you happy. Not aware of any places that rent swamp buggies. Maybe you find someone to drop you in and pick you up after so many days. Good luck.

Re: Walk in Florida hunt/camp - 06/25/18 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by poorcountrypreacher

There was a guy that used to post on the GON turkey forum who went on a South FL trip in early March every year, and he always killed turkeys on public land. But he also posted pictures of the swamp buggy they used to get around. I can't remember exactly how it was made, but it had huge tires on it.

You could probably get your gobbler if you could find someone who has one of those things. Good luck with the project!

Buggies are big and cool. Some are built off a jeep or the big boys off old military running gear. One guy I knew had an old military weasel. You feel invincible sitting up on a buggy. Until they eventually break and you have to hike out of the swamp on foot. I had a 4 mile hike out of the swamp many years ago. At least we had cold beer that I stuck in a backpack on the journey back home. beers
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Walk in Florida hunt/camp - 06/25/18 09:00 PM

If you want to go central Florida I’ve got friends that’s arent true turkey killers. They don’t kill every year but atleast get on birds on several different public spots in central Florida. They hunt on Tosahatchee, Seminole Ranch, and Seminole forest. Which I belive are draw hunts. They hunt a little honey hole that open permit, and not many people know about called Lake Jesup Conservation area. All of these places are like 30 min from Orlando, or 30 min from Daytona, and New Smyrna Beach area and that’s where I stay, NSB.
Posted By: 3toe

Re: Walk in Florida hunt/camp - 06/25/18 09:02 PM

I’m waiting on my co worker in Tampa to come through on some private land he says he can get me permission to hunt. We shall see.
Posted By: Atoler

Re: Walk in Florida hunt/camp - 06/25/18 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by jlbuc10
If you want to go central Florida I’ve got friends that’s arent true turkey killers. They don’t kill every year but atleast get on birds on several different public spots in central Florida. They hunt on Tosahatchee, Seminole Ranch, and Seminole forest. Which I belive are draw hunts. They hunt a little honey hole that open permit, and not many people know about called Lake Jesup Conservation area. All of these places are like 30 min from Orlando, or 30 min from Daytona, and New Smyrna Beach area and that’s where I stay, NSB.

Note to self: don’t tel jlbuc where you hunt eek

Re: Walk in Florida hunt/camp - 06/25/18 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Atoler

Lol FACT!
Posted By: Gobble4me757

Re: Walk in Florida hunt/camp - 06/25/18 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Atoler

Lol FACT!

LOL x3!
Posted By: bayouturkey

Re: Walk in Florida hunt/camp - 06/25/18 10:57 PM

Well.... good chance those places are bungholed.
Posted By: foldemup

Re: Walk in Florida hunt/camp - 06/25/18 11:40 PM

They hunt a little honey hole that open permit, and not many people know about called Lake Jesup Conservation area.

Not anymore!
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Walk in Florida hunt/camp - 06/26/18 02:22 AM

Go get em boys! Some good Snipe hunting out there also.
Posted By: BREEZE1

Re: Walk in Florida hunt/camp - 06/26/18 12:22 PM

This hunt is sounding about like a reality TV show. Sure to be a "exciting and miserable" experience. Good luck

Re: Walk in Florida hunt/camp - 06/26/18 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by BREEZE1
This hunt is sounding about like a reality TV show. Sure to be a "exciting and miserable" experience. Good luck

Any road trip with me is a reality hunting experience. smile It’s not about the hunt, even though we have always had great success, but more about experiencing a road trip win me. smile
Posted By: BREEZE1

Re: Walk in Florida hunt/camp - 06/26/18 01:03 PM

Oh yeah. One of these days I hope to tag along with yall.. but this isn't one of those times, grin
Posted By: AU coonhunter

Re: Walk in Florida hunt/camp - 06/26/18 04:27 PM

Well yek, it sounds like this could the greatest road trip or the most miserable experience of our lives with no in between lol. From the last pinhoti project video, it looks like we need to polish up our bicycle skills.
Posted By: hyco

Re: Walk in Florida hunt/camp - 07/05/18 11:43 PM

Don’t know why I didn’t think of this earlier. Y’all need to look at Avon Park. It’s a military base with a little over 100k acres. The permit is around $300 but there’s no quota. You have to take a on line safety course. I’ve hunted 2 other military bases here in Florida. State Game wardens patrol plus the military has there own patrolling so there’s usually not a lot of rif-raf there or a bunch of foolishness. Some check in and out. Not sure about that place but it’s near Kissimmee. Might be worth a look. Avon Park Airforce base
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Walk in Florida hunt/camp - 07/10/18 06:11 PM

I wudnt mind huntin me a ossyhola but id mo better like go to florida an jump on a fast contender an go catch me a messah yahoo's
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Walk in Florida hunt/camp - 07/10/18 07:30 PM

The internet has ruined far more hunting spots for people than anything else in existence. Completely ruined Duck Hunting.

I'm going to do my part to help ruin someone else's... check out Bull Creek and Three Lakes.
Posted By: foldemup

Re: Walk in Florida hunt/camp - 07/10/18 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by CarbonClimber1
I wudnt mind huntin me a ossyhola but id mo better like go to florida an jump on a fast contender an go catch me a messah yahoo's

Originally Posted by Goatkiller
The internet has ruined far more hunting spots for people than anything else in existence. Completely ruined Duck Hunting.

I'm going to do my part to help ruin someone else's... check out Bull Creek and Three Lakes.

Good places, but not in the south zone. Hard to get motivated to hunt down there when Alabama season is already open.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM