Aldeer.com

Pinhoti Project

Posted By: JUGHEAD

Pinhoti Project - 06/12/18 05:30 AM

Am I just an idiot and dont know where to find the videos? Or was this the biggest tease of turkey hunters in history? I check Dave’s youtube channel all the time and there hasnt been anything new since they were in Florida.
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/12/18 10:31 AM

https://www.instagram.com/pinhotiproject/

He's editing now. They killed about a hundred turkeys it seems like. They were posting pics and videos almost daily on Instagram
Posted By: Mully

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/12/18 04:54 PM

He is editing now. Hopefully he video will be out soon!
Posted By: weagleweagle

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/13/18 02:18 AM

I’ve been following them on Instagram this spring. They love to smoke victory cigars after killing a bird... been a little worried they might wind up with lung cancer as many birds as they have Killed. If you have Instagram you might wanna follow the boys at chasing49 and logichunter as well, they have some good content and been fun to follow..

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/13/18 03:56 AM

I checked instagram. Pretty much the same stuff they posted on facebook throughout the spring. I’m ready for some damn hunt/kill videos. Don’t know how many times I read “we cant wait to show yall this one.” Let’s get on with some of it already! grin
Posted By: bwhunter

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/13/18 11:34 AM

I'm ready to see the videos as well. Does anyone know how they were able to hunt for three months straight? Are they getting paid to do this or what? I never really understood that. They don't seem to have big name sponsors or try to promote anyone so how are they funding this project?

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/13/18 11:43 AM

I saw him mention in one of his instagram posts that they just have jobs that allow a lot of time off. Dave said he runs an extermination company I believe. They also hunt public land mostly so outside of travel and license costs, they're hunting fairly cheap
Posted By: turkey247

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/13/18 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by crenshawco
I saw him mention in one of his instagram posts that they just have jobs that allow a lot of time off.

It can’t be done by a family man with a real job. If you want to keep the family and jobgrin

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/13/18 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by turkey247
I saw him mention in one of his instagram posts that they just have jobs that allow a lot of time off.

It can’t be done by a family man with a real job. If you want to keep the family and jobgrin

I would definitely agree. Don't think he's got any family holding him back though. I'm guessing he's dating the Courtney chick that is on his Instagram a few times, but she seems to like to hunt as much as he does
Posted By: Turkeymaster

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/13/18 03:11 PM

those boys are straight killas, I really enjoyed following them. I can't imagine having to go through all the footage they probably have.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/13/18 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Turkeymaster
those boys are straight killas.

Not arguing the point, I believe the statement is true. But you could do it, about 50-75 guy’s on here could do it, and I know 8 or 10 guys not on here that could do what they do in regards to the straight killing.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/13/18 04:49 PM

those boys are straight killas
I have watched every video I can get my hands on that involves a hunt with that Dave Owens cat. He is a turkey MURDERER. And he can obviously run the hell out of calls given he has won (at least one..not sure what else) an NWTF Grand National competition (not to mention just listening to him on his videos). With all of that in mind, I am especially intrigued as it pertains to quality of calling and the corresponding ability to call up turkeys and kill em. I will admit that I have long since subscribed to the old line of thinking that you don't have to be a great caller to kill turkeys. I am living proof that it is true. However, I can't help but wonder if I have left turkeys on the table because my calling is so poor compared to somebody like him? That bastage calls up turkeys from one end of this country to the other, in all weather conditions, with and without hens, etc. etc. It almost seems like all of the stars have to align properly for me to flat call one up in the woods like I want to and it "seems" Dave Owens does it at will, even on Alabama public land birds like the ones I hunt. I dunno. Just something to think about in the off season! I know it sure can't hurt to be a good caller and I'm planning to work on mine before next season. I have it in my mind that although a turkey will answer me consistently when I call, they aren't 100% sure it is real and they often hang up accordingly. Certainly a lot of that is that I hunt Jackson County, mountain, public turkeys a whole bunch and they are more call shy than any other ones I have ever hunted (ya'll ask ol Big Dave "Daggerz" on here, who can run the hell out of calls, what he thinks about our turkeys grin), but I'm almost convinced that authenticity plays a bigger role in places like that as compared to less pressured places.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/13/18 05:03 PM

But you could do it, about 50-75 guy’s on here could do it, and I know 8 or 10 guys not on here that could do what they do in regards to the straight killing.

Maybe, maybe not. The difference is they are actually doing it and we aren't. I think that's what is so interesting about it to me.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/13/18 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by JUGHEAD
However, I can't help but wonder if I have left turkeys on the table because my calling is so poor compared to somebody like him? That bastage calls up turkeys from one end of this country to the other, in all weather conditions, with and without hens, etc. etc. It almost seems like all of the stars have to align properly for me to flat call one up in the woods like I want to and it "seems" Dave Owens does it at will, even on Alabama public land birds like the ones I hunt. I dunno. Just something to think about in the off season!

I follow you. But think about this. I know for me, I hunt an average of maybe 1.5 hours at a time. Longer on Saturday’s depending a ballgames. Don’t hunt on Sunday. I don’t kill one every time I go around here due to those reasons.

However, if I take a vacation day to hunt in AL, or 3 or 4 days together to go hunt some public land out of state, my daily success rate skyrockets. There’s more than one reason for that. Being able to stick with a vocal bird, finding the right time of day when one wants to die (very important), and just simply being able to prosepect, cover ground and find turkey. Your more confident, you don’t rush things, and make better decisions.

Just my thoughts. It’s a lot about being there and having time to be fully invested.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/13/18 06:20 PM

I went 25 mornings this season in AL, most of them before work and only had 8 unsuccessful hunts where a bird didn't die or get shot at. some were on heavily pressured places, some weren't. These guys are killing them all on public land except for a hunt here or there where they used an outfitter. I agree with you that there are quite a few on here that could do it, however like crenshaw said, aint noone doin it like they are. think if they hunted 60-70 days and and only had 15 or so unsuccessful days. that's unheard of IMO

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/13/18 06:20 PM

I follow you. But think about this. I know for me, I hunt an average of maybe 1.5 hours at a time. Longer on Saturday’s depending a ballgames. Don’t hunt on Sunday. I don’t kill one every time I go around here due to those reasons.

However, if I take a vacation day to hunt in AL, or 3 or 4 days together to go hunt some public land out of state, my daily success rate skyrockets. There’s more than one reason for that. Being able to stick with a vocal bird, finding the right time of day when one wants to die (very important), and just simply being able to prosepect, cover ground and find turkey. Your more confident, you don’t rush things, and make better decisions.

Just my thoughts. It’s a lot about being there and having time to be fully invested.
I agree totally. Exact same for me for sure. I had killed a turkey on my birthday in TN for the last 6 years in a row up until this year when I missed one. A lot of that has to do with the time of year and our turkeys up here being much more lonely and killable as a whole, but a lot of it has to do with my devoting the entire day to getting it done too though.

Notes to self: 1. Learn to be a better caller 2. Find a better job with more freedom. and/or 3. Hit the lottery. grin

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/13/18 07:20 PM

Notes to self: 1. Learn to be a better caller 2. Find a better job with more freedom. and/or 3. Hit the lottery. grin

You forgot get divorced and ditch the kids grin
Posted By: Ruger7mag

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/13/18 07:21 PM

Another thing worth mentioning is that I doubt you'll see many/any decoys or blinds in the video. He does it right and is a straight killer!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/13/18 07:42 PM

Don’t misunderstand that I’m not impressed. I do believe the coordination and the energy to get it done - is much more impressive than the killing.
Posted By: wbpc

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/13/18 10:33 PM

Dave has planned his life around turkey hunting. No kids, wife or many hobbies for the most part. All of his energy is focused on turkey hunting. I'm not going to say he's the best turkey hunter, but I don't think many are in the same league as him skill wise. I listened to a podcast that featured him and he is ate up with turkey hunting! He knows how to play the game. That guy kills turkeys everywhere he goes!
Posted By: Atoler

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/13/18 10:41 PM

those boys are straight killas.

Not arguing the point, I believe the statement is true. But you could do it, about 50-75 guy’s on here could do it, and I know 8 or 10 guys not on here that could do what they do in regards to the straight killing.

I’m gonna have to disagree with you here. Dave Owens, chubs, David Ellis. They are a different breed. There may be 1 or 2 guys on here that could do it, but not many. It’s a completely different skill set, dropping in to new public land and having consistent success. Specifically with Osceola a and easterns. Half a dozen birds in front of a camera the first week of season on big cypress is proof in the pudding. You really think there’s 50 of us that could do that?

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/13/18 10:54 PM

I have watched every video I can get my hands on that involves a hunt with that Dave Owens cat. He is a turkey MURDERER. And he can obviously run the hell out of calls given he has won (at least one..not sure what else) an NWTF Grand National competition (not to mention just listening to him on his videos). With all of that in mind, I am especially intrigued as it pertains to quality of calling and the corresponding ability to call up turkeys and kill em. I will admit that I have long since subscribed to the old line of thinking that you don't have to be a great caller to kill turkeys. I am living proof that it is true. However, I can't help but wonder if I have left turkeys on the table because my calling is so poor compared to somebody like him? That bastage calls up turkeys from one end of this country to the other, in all weather conditions, with and without hens, etc. etc. It almost seems like all of the stars have to align properly for me to flat call one up in the woods like I want to and it "seems" Dave Owens does it at will, even on Alabama public land birds like the ones I hunt. I dunno. Just something to think about in the off season! I know it sure can't hurt to be a good caller and I'm planning to work on mine before next season. I have it in my mind that although a turkey will answer me consistently when I call, they aren't 100% sure it is real and they often hang up accordingly. Certainly a lot of that is that I hunt Jackson County, mountain, public turkeys a whole bunch and they are more call shy than any other ones I have ever hunted (ya'll ask ol Big Dave "Daggerz" on here, who can run the hell out of calls, what he thinks about our turkeys :but I'm almost convinced that authenticity plays a bigger role in places like that as compared to less pressured places.

Ive pondered this myself. Much like you, a good half the birds I kill are more a product of strategy than them coming to the call. Excellent calling certainly can’t hurt. Especially if you’re hunting a lot of land that you don’t know well.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/13/18 11:38 PM

[/quote]

I’m gonna have to disagree with you here. Dave Owens, chubs, David Ellis. They are a different breed. There may be 1 or 2 guys on here that could do it, but not many. It’s a completely different skill set, dropping in to new public land and having consistent success. Specifically with Osceola a and easterns. Half a dozen birds in front of a camera the first week of season on big cypress is proof in the pudding. You really think there’s 50 of us that could do that?

[/quote]

No doubt! Any public land in florida, he has done it multiple times. It's tough down there ask anyone who has been before.
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/14/18 12:15 AM

Dave is an elite turkey hunter no doubt. Imagine there was professional turkey hunting like bass fishing. There would be guys that would rise to the top and I imagine he would be like KVD. Along those same lines I wonder if he has a network of locals and friends accross the country that drop him some way points in all these different states. Even if he does have some help with intel it doesn’t diminish what he accomplished this season. It’s just amazing.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/14/18 12:18 AM

I know a few folks who definitely put a turkey before family,friendships and jobs. The man who can balance all of the above is by far the ones I respect the most.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/14/18 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag
I know a few folks who definitely put a turkey before family,friendships and jobs. The man who can balance all of the above is by far the ones I respect the most.

Well said buddy.
Posted By: YEKRUT

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/14/18 01:25 AM

I know a couple that balance hunting, a girlfriend, wife, kids, and a job and still kill birds. I’m not sure any of them are happy.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/14/18 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by YEKRUT
I know a couple that balance hunting, a girlfriend, wife, kids, and a job and still kill birds. I’m not sure any of them are happy.

That’s because they have a wife and a girlfriend laugh
Posted By: BrentM

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/14/18 02:46 AM

Lotta truth there. Take a decent turkey hunter that ain’t gotta look at his watch or his phone every 20 minutes and he can get pretty rough. To be able to kill easterns like Owens does is pretty amazing though.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/14/18 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by wbpc
Dave has planned his life around turkey hunting. No kids, wife or many hobbies for the most part. All of his energy is focused on turkey hunting. I'm not going to say he's the best turkey hunter, but I don't think many are in the same league as him skill wise. I listened to a podcast that featured him and he is ate up with turkey hunting! He knows how to play the game. That guy kills turkeys everywhere he goes!

I have never watched any of the guy's videos, but that is kinda sad. Turkey hunting is a great hobby, but it makes a terrible life.
Posted By: Gobl4me

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/14/18 02:28 PM

I agree preacher.....I love to turkey hunt. Hunt a lot locally and travel a good bit and have killed 100+ And seen a good many more die. At 32 with a business to run, wife, kids I’m actually seeing myself slowing it down a little. My family is my most important hobby.

As far as these guys skill.....sure they are good hunters but what the point of plastering it all over social media drawing attention to locations etc? Can you make living doing it? I seriously doubt it......so what the point? I hunt for myself. I enjoy the game but I play it for me not for Twitter/instagram
Posted By: deerhunt1988

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/14/18 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Atoler

This.... Folks who don't do all the extensive traveling don't understand.. I think there is a bit of jealousy creeping in with some of the comments.
Posted By: North40R

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/15/18 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by poorcountrypreacher
Originally Posted by wbpc

I have never watched any of the guy's videos, but that is kinda sad. Turkey hunting is a great hobby, but it makes a terrible life.

I've got to agree with PCP here! I love it and I'd love to hunt more but I don't want to be anymore involved in it than I already am.
Posted By: mr.clif

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/15/18 02:09 PM

I wish I'd been able to do it when I was younger, I enjoy watching Hunting public and Pinhoti Project on youtube and social media. Dave seems like he could be a great author or writer the way words his post and updates. I hope theyre able to keep on keeping on.
Posted By: 202P&Y

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/15/18 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by mr.clif
I wish I'd been able to do it when I was younger, I enjoy watching Hunting public and Pinhoti Project on youtube and social media. Dave seems like he could be a great author or writer the way words his post and updates. I hope theyre able to keep on keeping on.

Same here and yes, Dave should write a book about his hunts. He can definitely paint a picture with words, kinda reminds me of Tom Kelly
Posted By: Claims Rep.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/18/18 07:31 PM

Am I just an idiot....?

Yes, you are.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/18/18 08:25 PM

Somebodies wrote a book about em. Doesnt seem like there's alot of folks that have completed the US superslam aka killed one in all 49 states that have a turkey season.
http://www.wildriverpress.com/product/turkey-men-volume-2/
Posted By: Tailwalk7

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/20/18 12:49 AM

I know one thing. It takes a different breed to go down to Big cypress and kill birds like they do. That’s the most impressive thing Iv seen in a while. If anyone needs a real challenge instead of going to kill 5 birds in 3 days out west, head on down to the Everglades and test your skills...

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/20/18 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Tailwalk7
I know one thing. It takes a different breed to go down to Big cypress and kill birds like they do. That’s the most impressive thing Iv seen in a while. If anyone needs a real challenge instead of going to kill 5 birds in 3 days out west, head on down to the Everglades and test your skills...
I dont know much of anything about hunting down there. What makes it so tough? Just curious.
Posted By: Tailwalk7

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/20/18 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Tailwalk7
I dont know much of anything about hunting down there. What makes it so tough? Just curious.

The hardest part for me when I hunted it was just how demanding the terrain was. Any sort of rain and you will be walking in water part of the time. I hunted the bear island section mainly and was always on foot which I believe was the main factor for not having much success. I lived down there for 5 years and every year I’d go get spanked for a few days before heading to private land to pop an Osceola.
It has birds and a lot of people have success who know how to get around down there. If you like the thrill of possibly being hunted while hunting than it’s the place for you....

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/21/18 01:52 PM

First video should be posted this evening!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/21/18 02:27 PM

thumbup Looking forward to it. He said they would be uploading a new video every few days, so this ought to give us some videos to watch for several months.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/21/18 05:41 PM

Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/21/18 07:53 PM

Hope they get better than that.
Posted By: sj22

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/21/18 08:27 PM

I really liked it, can’t wait to see more!!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/21/18 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by jlbuc10
Not sure of your definition of better, but I dont know how it could get much better. Most of the turkey hunts on video are freakin terrible. I felt like I was right there with em. I liked it!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/21/18 10:16 PM

Not sure of your definition of better, but I dont know how it could get much better. Most of the turkey hunts on video are freakin terrible. I felt like I was right there with em. I liked it!

Yep. That’s a real turkey hunt.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/21/18 10:22 PM

Excellent hunt! Can’t wait to see the rest!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/21/18 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Atoler

Yep. That’s a real turkey hunt.

I agree that’s a real hunt, and that’s what it would look like if I tried to film one of my own hunts on my cell phone. I also wasnt a fan of his gf’s commentary. I guess I just expected it to look more professional

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/21/18 11:33 PM

I’d much rather it look like 2 turkey hunters than to look professional. Can’t wait for the next one
Posted By: bayouturkey

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/22/18 01:47 AM

Good video.
Hundred times better than seeing a grown ass man sitting in a ground blind or walking behind a strutter decoy.
Posted By: rackhunter'

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/22/18 01:57 AM

good stuff
Posted By: Hevishot13

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/22/18 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by BrentM
I’d much rather it look like 2 turkey hunters than to look professional. Can’t wait for the next one

I agree
Posted By: SharpSpur

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/22/18 01:17 PM

I also agree,
Posted By: foldemup

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/22/18 01:57 PM

I liked it...I do wonder if she can use that mouth call at all. I know if I’m hunting with a world champion turkey caller, my call would be for chewing on.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/22/18 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by bayouturkey
Good video.
Hundred times better than seeing a grown ass man sitting in a ground blind or walking behind a strutter decoy.
Preach buddy! grin

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/22/18 05:00 PM

I really enjoyed it!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/22/18 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by bayouturkey
Good video.

Preach it.

Absolutely loved hearing that drumming for minutes, anxiously awaiting the bird to pop into view..Made me feel like I was right there with them.
Posted By: Turkeyboy

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/22/18 08:21 PM

My fever had gone down, now it’s back up! How many days to March 16?!
Posted By: Tree Hanger

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/24/18 01:49 AM

266 thumbup

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/25/18 04:05 PM

Day 2

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/25/18 05:45 PM

" I got what we're going to get on this whole trip" and " My mind don't think about that video camera"

couple one liners I liked

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/25/18 09:53 PM

Awesome! Can't wait for the next one!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/25/18 11:35 PM

This is real hunting videos and I love em
Posted By: tbest3

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/25/18 11:39 PM

Good stuff.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/26/18 03:56 AM

I watched both videos; good work. But I couldn't understand them when they were whispering and I couldn't hear the drumming. I can hear it ok in the woods, but I can't hear it on a video.

That girl needs to learn to sit still.
Posted By: BD

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/26/18 11:03 AM

Great Videos!
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/26/18 04:40 PM

Great videos. Ol chubbs was killing me with " I thought we was at the talladega 500, only thing missing was a couple rough ones running around topless..."

And the " I'd love to go over there and hit that 4 wheeler at about 40mph."

It's like being there with some buddies.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/27/18 04:17 PM

Another video up. Looks like it's a breakdown of the Day 1 hunt:

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/28/18 04:36 PM

Day three is up now.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/29/18 01:09 AM

I hope they get better with their camera before this thing is over.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/29/18 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by N2TRKYS

Their videos may not be for you then. Their style of hunting doesn't lead to what many consider quality video footage nowadays, and that's why most folks I know like their stuff.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/29/18 01:43 AM

I love these videos, they’re trying to kill turkeys and if they get it on film it’s a plus which is how I would do it. I enjoy the other ones too but this is more along the lines of my hunting style minus the awesome calling skills and they get to hunt a lot more than me.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/29/18 03:20 AM

Their videos may not be for you then. Their style of hunting doesn't lead to what many consider quality video footage nowadays, and that's why most folks I know like their stuff.

You're probably right. I watched the first two videos, but didn't really like either one. It's a shame, I was looking forward to seeing this when it got done. I guess I can move on from it.

Thanks for the heads up.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/29/18 12:22 PM

You're probably right. I watched the first two videos, but didn't really like either one. It's a shame, I was looking forward to seeing this when it got done. I guess I can move on from it.

Thanks for the heads up.

I figure when they get out of the jungles of southern florida videoing will be a little easier to capture.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/29/18 01:28 PM

Thanks for the heads up.

I figure when they get out of the jungles of southern florida videoing will be a little easier to capture.

That’s what I was thinking too. I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt with the terrain that they’re in. Maybe it will get better.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/29/18 02:08 PM

Great videos so far! I'd rather watch 30 minutes of them bs'ing than 1 minute of a strutter decoy or someone sitting in a blind.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/29/18 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Ruger7mag
Great videos so far! I'd rather watch 30 minutes of them bs'ing than 1 minute of a strutter decoy or someone sitting in a blind.

Yep. I don’t have to see the turkey. They all look alike anyway. I just like watching turkey hunting. It’s nice to watch a show where they don’t spend the majority of the program talking about how great the gun/call/choke/decoys are too.
Posted By: 3toe

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/29/18 03:16 PM

Yep. I don’t have to see the turkey. They all look alike anyway. I just like watching turkey hunting. It’s nice to watch a show where they don’t spend the majority of the program talking about how great the gun/call/choke/decoys are too.

No kidding. Hunting videos today sound like a Nascar drivers post race interview.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/29/18 06:00 PM

Nice indeed, I could watch it every day. I hope he doesn't get burnt out from doing all the editing himself and stop posting videos.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/30/18 02:27 PM

Still enjoying them. Would much rather watch their latest 'turkeyless' video than ANY video using a strutter decoy. In fact, as soon as I see a strutter decoy in a video, I cease watching it.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/02/18 12:34 AM

Day 4 is up

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/02/18 06:02 PM

He made that look easy, other than the 4 mile walk back in there. smile I believe I would have wasted a TSS shell on that cottonmouth.

I like that gun barrel camera he has. I wonder which model he has and the cost?

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/02/18 06:09 PM

I think that was my favorite video so far. That was a pretty spot they were in. I don't even know why he totes a vest the way he can run a mouth call.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/02/18 06:35 PM

I think that was my favorite video so far. That was a pretty spot they were in. I don't even know why he totes a vest the way he can run a mouth call.

Somewhere to pack in all those cigars and chubbs lil Debbie's! Lol

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/02/18 10:27 PM

Reckon how many folks are looking for that place on the map right now? He has left some pretty good indicators and markers in the videos so far.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/05/18 03:55 PM

Day 5

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/06/18 04:01 PM

Day 6 - this ought to be a good one

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/06/18 04:49 PM

Watched day 6 up until the kill, good vid so far. I’ve enjoyed them all so far.
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/06/18 06:09 PM

panther was pretty neat. Quick look at him but that had to be a rush!

Dr. B

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/06/18 06:26 PM

I have to agree with Cole from the other day. I'm scared to death Owens is gonna end up with lung cancer before this thing is over with. LOL!

Another awesome day of video!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/06/18 06:38 PM

Is that cars you hear passing in the background when the bird is in the tree?

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/06/18 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by 3toe

It sounded like it to me too

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/06/18 07:05 PM

Best one yet IMO

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/06/18 07:06 PM

Squirrel had spotted that one the day before while they were driving so pretty sure its close to road.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/06/18 07:42 PM

Squirrel had spotted that one the day before while they were driving so pretty sure its close to road.

I was just waiting to hear truck tires slowing down and then the crack of a .17 HMR followed by a thud. lol.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/07/18 12:26 PM

I was just waiting to hear truck tires slowing down and then the crack of a .17 HMR followed by a thud. lol.

That would have been hilarious! rofl

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/07/18 09:46 PM

Up until a few years ago it was still legal to hunt turkeys with rifles on WMAs in Florida... I believe it was 2010 and my father and I were on a Florida quota hunt... A fellow and his young son drove up in a single cab truck with a rifle racked on their back glass. This guy couldn't believe we had driven all the way from Mississippi to hunt. He then proceeds to ask us if "ya'll do that callin' thing?" I know dad and I had to have a funny look on our faces. The guy goes on to tell us he had already killed one that morning and went home to pick up his boy (couldn't have been more than 7 or 8 years old) to try and get him one too. Then he revealed his tried and true method. "Just ride around til ya find a fresh chop (what he called thinned timber) or burn and you can bust 'em from the truck!" That was always in the back of mind until they finally banned rifles on public land down there! You wouldn't think it, but some parts of Florida are just as redneck/outlawish as anywhere else in the southeast.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/07/18 10:48 PM

We hunted public land down there the year after they banned it, had folks riding around with rifles out all 4 windows of one truck we passed. The memo didn’t get out well at all.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/07/18 11:24 PM

We were down this year at first part of Floridas season.......don't know that I've seen a more outlaw/game law ignoring bunch of people than the south Florida locals. baiting and shooting with rifles is very common from what I could tell.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/09/18 04:48 PM

Day 7

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/09/18 08:54 PM

Rough, rough, rough on the turkeys! Mercy!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/10/18 01:42 AM

That was a good one

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/10/18 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by BD
That was a good one

Yep I enjoyed that one too. That swamp buggy was pretty cool too. I'm guessing by the final text that day 8 ought to be pretty good too

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/10/18 02:40 AM

If they roost a bird in the afternoon Its game over

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/10/18 03:51 AM

They have an uncanny ability to find lone gobblers, unlike the ones I find that have 20 hens with them at daylight. smile Dave also needs to get him some Grange boots and quit having to tip toe around that water.

Great videos. Can’t wait for day 8.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/11/18 08:24 PM

what kind of sight is he using? Some kind of red dot it appears.

Dr. B

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/11/18 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by bamaeyedoc
what kind of sight is he using? Some kind of red dot it appears.

Dr. B

Looks like a ff3

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/11/18 09:38 PM

8 is up

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/11/18 10:50 PM

Day 8. Man that was a cool hunt. It had to be special to them since they all met on that piece of public ground.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/12/18 01:32 AM

Anybody notice Joe is wearing a Houndstooth game calls hat?

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/12/18 02:00 AM

Never heard of them smile

Yes, i noticed it but haven’t watched the vid yet.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/12/18 02:02 AM

Oh yeah thumbup

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/12/18 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by tbest3

Day 8. Man that was a cool hunt. It had to be special to them since they all met on that piece of public ground.
A man that don’t thoroughly enjoy that is either gay, Claims Rep, or both!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/12/18 02:28 AM

Poor Claims Rep, ever since the news came out about him he has had a tough time smile

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/12/18 02:48 AM

May be the best one yet.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/12/18 03:00 AM

Yep that one was awesome

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/12/18 02:44 PM

the last two have been pretty sweet.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/12/18 06:10 PM

the last two have been pretty sweet.

Agreed much better than the first few.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/12/18 06:44 PM

With as much info as he is giving up he is going to have a crowd on him in years to come I’m afraid.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/12/18 07:13 PM

With as much info as he is giving up he is going to have a crowd on him in years to come I’m afraid.

Form what I hear it already is...

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/12/18 07:24 PM

If you have his coordinates I'll ride down with you and see if they are legit. smile
Posted By: HeartofDixie

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/12/18 08:39 PM

What wma are they hunting down there? Or is it more than one?
Posted By: Squirrel_boah

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/12/18 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Southwood7

Dave is an elite turkey hunter no doubt. Imagine there was professional turkey hunting like bass fishing. There would be guys that would rise to the top and I imagine he would be like KVD. Along those same lines I wonder if he has a network of locals and friends accross the country that drop him some way points in all these different states. Even if he does have some help with intel it doesn’t diminish what he accomplished this season. It’s just amazing.

If you Know Dave he does not like to take information he is a hard headed sun of a gun and likes to do it himself. Dont get me wrong if you told him about a gobbling turkey I dont think he would survive long after. With that said I can confrim with out a doubt he does NOT have a network of individuals feeding him coords to turkeys across the lower 49

Mostly when he comes down S FL he will find his own unless we hunt together.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/12/18 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Squirrel_boah

If you Know Dave he does not like to take information he is a hard headed sun of a gun and likes to do it himself. Dont get me wrong if you told him about a gobbling turkey I dont think he would survive long after. With that said I can confrim with out a doubt he does NOT have a network of individuals feeding him coords to turkeys across the lower 49

Hey hey hey, Welcome to the Forum Squirrel!!
beers

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/12/18 10:17 PM

Hell yes! Welcome Squirrel!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/12/18 10:23 PM

I doubt this highly.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/12/18 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Bustinbeards

Hey hey hey, Welcome to the Forum Squirrel!!
beers

Thanks for the warm welcome !

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/12/18 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by foldemup

Thanks ...

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/12/18 10:31 PM

Great videos. Ol chubbs was killing me with " I thought we was at the talladega 500, only thing missing was a couple rough ones running around topless..."

And the " I'd love to go over there and hit that 4 wheeler at about 40mph."

It's like being there with some buddies.

Chubbs is a character fo sure .. non stop laughter with this kat.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/12/18 10:39 PM

Welcome squirrel. beers

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/12/18 10:45 PM

I doubt this highly.

Welcome to the forum and I hope you are right. I know on some of them the crowds are controlled so maybe you are right. Watching y’all is like watching some of our trips unfold. I’ve always said if you could strap a go pro to the truck dash of some of our road trips you could make a good comedy and a descent attempt at a hunting video. Y’all keep up the good work.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/12/18 11:03 PM

Welcome Squirrel!!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/12/18 11:15 PM

Welcome Squirrel. Love the videos

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/13/18 12:26 AM

I can't believe we got squirrel on aldeer. Welcome man, and congrats on yalls hunts

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/13/18 01:32 AM

I can't believe we got squirrel on aldeer. Welcome man, and congrats on yalls hunts

Been trying to tell y’all I was a big deal, probably just wants to try to get close to me smile

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/13/18 01:34 AM

Welcome Squirrel!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/13/18 01:40 AM

Welcome squirrel. What kinda seat are you using? Looks pretty comfy!
Posted By: AU coonhunter

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/13/18 01:54 AM

Good to have you Squirrel, awesome hunts so far.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/13/18 03:15 AM

Welcome squirrel! Talk Dave into joining, we’ll have all the best killers on here then. Y’all boys do it right, it’s nice to watch y’all hunt like I do.
Posted By: Daggerz

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/13/18 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by foldemup

X2! Welcome Squirrel!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/13/18 03:16 PM

That's awesome! Loved the ladder at the end! How far was that shot? It's always so hard to tell from video.

Dr. B

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/13/18 03:18 PM

Day 9 in AL now

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/14/18 02:29 PM

Well we know he's not at Lowndes WMA! laugh

Dr. B

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/14/18 02:54 PM

Are those the mountains of Pelham? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/14/18 03:32 PM

Dr. B

Ha, my guess would be Skyline or maybe Choccolocco

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/14/18 06:54 PM

Both had late openers^^^

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/14/18 07:12 PM

[quote=bayouturkey]Both had late openers^^^[/quote

didn't think about that , was just guessing by the terrain
Posted By: Turkey Petter

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/14/18 07:41 PM

I’ve enjoyed watching these videos. I must tip my hat to these old boys for getting it done on public land and capturing most everything on video. It’s not getting a crazy two year old on private land or an infomercial pushing decoys and gadgets. These old boys are doing what turkeys do - clucking and purring and soft yelps. They are not filming a lot of cutting and yelping loudly after the turkey is killed for a television show. You boys in a club better not vote these two in. They are straight up killas.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/15/18 12:02 AM

^^^^^ Evidently they don't need to be in a club. They are doing just fine on free land!

Dr. B

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/15/18 03:27 AM

Been trying to tell y’all I was a big deal, probably just wants to try to get close to me smile

You really don't need anything to make your head any bigger!.....

Welcome squirrel!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/16/18 08:34 PM

Day 10 is up. Now that's a real Alabama turkey hunt. I won't spoil it. smile

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/16/18 10:59 PM

Day 10 is up. Now that's a real Alabama turkey hunt. I won't spoil it. smile
Indeed! Lol!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/16/18 11:45 PM

That’s about as real for Alabama as it gets. Them boys disappointed me just a little showing up to cross a creek without at least one trash bag for each leg though

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/18/18 07:36 PM

Day 11 is up

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/20/18 01:09 AM

Man ol chubs is a trip.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/20/18 01:12 AM

Man ol chubs is a trip.

He is funny. Reminds me of Vince Vaughn

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/20/18 04:08 PM

"Sometimes you gotta ground check 'em." rofl

Dr. B

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/20/18 05:19 PM

Day 12

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/20/18 06:24 PM

Man ol chubs is a trip.

He is funny. Reminds me of Vince Vaughn
No doubt about it. I do have to say that my nerves are SHOT watching him in the turkey woods though. That joker needs a valium before he leaves the truck! But then again, all of that energy is probably why he can hunt so many days without wearing out.
Posted By: kkfish

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/20/18 06:40 PM

They are hell on whatever mouth calls they use. I can use one but not like that. Good stuff there.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/20/18 07:05 PM

That was awesome 👏
Posted By: Squeaky

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/20/18 07:55 PM

I'm gonna check these videos out. For some reason I haven't gave this thread much attention. Sounds like the video's are worth watching.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/20/18 11:10 PM

Day 12

“Did you fart!?” rofl

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/21/18 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by kkfish
They are hell on whatever mouth calls they use. I can use one but not like that. Good stuff there.

They are pretty ridiculous. Squirrel is dang good too. Dave said in one of the earlier videos or on another forum that he presses all of his own calls but he runs a ghost cut

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/21/18 02:33 AM

Dave and Slayton Gearin look so much alike its scary! Both of them are definitely masters of their chosen field. Slayton's being a duck call instead of a turkey call!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/21/18 02:48 AM

They are pretty ridiculous. Squirrel is dang good too. Dave said in one of the earlier videos or on another forum that he presses all of his own calls but he runs a ghost cut

I remember hearing him say he runs a ghost cut nearly 100% of the time. They can make em sing no doubt.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/21/18 02:49 AM

a ghost cut is one of the best all around cuts imo and my go to call. A good ghost is why I started making my own mouth calls.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/21/18 04:54 AM

a ghost cut is one of the best all around cuts imo and my go to call. A good ghost is why I started making my own mouth calls.

No doubt a ghost cut is the most versatile call!
Posted By: lectrode

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/21/18 12:45 PM

Some of the best ghost cuts Iv'e ever tried by the way !!!
Posted By: Squeaky

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/21/18 03:40 PM

I watched 1 thur 4 last night. I have enjoyed everyone of them so far. I'm sure they will only get better. Those guy's are the real deal and know how to get it done! thumbup

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/23/18 05:45 PM

Posted By: Bamarich2

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/24/18 01:39 PM

One of the things that is magnified in these videos is the decisions that constantly have to be made while working a turkey. Those breaking into the sport with a background of hunting deer via stand methods usually think "I have a game plan and I'm going to execute it" (similar to "I'm going to my stand in x location and sit till dark today). For those who are new to the sport, this is probably the best thing you can learn from these videos - you've got to "strategize" and think quickly on your feet at times in order to put yourself in a place where a kill is possible. Even then, you'll frequently fail.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/24/18 05:25 PM

I got caught up last night and watched the Alabama hunts. Those boys are quality entertainment and Chubs is a really funny dude! I like when Dave said he was a “dedicated amateur”. However If anyone qualifies as a professional it’s him.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/24/18 07:59 PM

Maybe I've missed it but I've yet to see them use anything but a mouth call. I guess when you can run one like them boys do and kill birds, you don't need to carry a vest full of pots, boxes, strikers, slates, wingbones, and so on. Plus, being on the bikes, I'm sure they want to be as light as possible too.

Dr. B

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/24/18 08:01 PM

Oh, and to you turkey masters, what did Chubbs mean on that day 12 kill when he said it looked like a "fall bird?" Was it maybe that his wing tips were not yet worn down from strutting? That's the only thing I could figure. That tip that a high roosted bird is an outcast was pretty interesting.

Dr. B

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/24/18 08:12 PM

Oh, and to you turkey masters, what did Chubbs mean on that day 12 kill when he said it looked like a "fall bird?" Was it maybe that his wing tips were not yet worn down from strutting? That's the only thing I could figure. That tip that a high roosted bird is an outcast was pretty interesting.

Dr. B

The wing tips is what I took from that comment too Doc, they made a comment in the first Bama video about them acting like they were just getting started

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/24/18 10:39 PM

The wing tips is what I took from that comment too Doc, they made a comment in the first Bama video about them acting like they were just getting started [/quote]
Originally Posted by sj22
[quote=bamaeyedoc]Oh, and to you turkey masters, what did Chubbs mean on that day 12 kill when he said it looked like a "fall bird?" Was it maybe that his wing tips were not yet worn down from strutting? That's the only thing I could figure. That tip that a high roosted bird is an outcast was pretty interesting.

Dr. B

He was referring to the weight of the gobbler. He mentioned it was a huge gobbler. He had not lost weight like a gobbler in the Spring.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/25/18 01:14 AM

The wing tips were not worn down and torn up yet, which means that bird hadn’t been strutting much or acting like a spring bird much at all.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/25/18 05:13 PM

Chubs: “how often do you oil the blades on your trimmer?... if we just oiled em and took care of em they’d last so much longer.” rofl

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/25/18 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by rackhunter'

Dr. B

Y’all thinking Talladega NF? Cause he’s coming over from Georgia every morning. It dang sure ain’t Tuskegee NF

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/25/18 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by rackhunter'

Dr. B

Y’all thinking Talladega NF?

Well Dave lives in Ga, Chubbs is in Alabama. They have to be in the TNF somewhere in east Alabama.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/25/18 08:37 PM

Day 16 hurt my feelings, and I wasn't even there. Few things worse in the turkey woods than the feeling of having one come running up and sitting himself on the proverbial tee and then not getting to kill him. That hunt was a PRIME example of why hunting, and specifically picking a spot to setup, mountain turkeys can be so frustrating. No matter if you do everything exactly right, he always has a way to beat you over the head with the terrain features all around you. My heart sank (caught myself mumbling "kill him, kill him, kill him!") when that turkey came running up in there, craned that neck, yanked that head back a little to get a better look, and the gun still hadn't gone off. There was zero doubt he had smelled a rat when he didn't see a hen in those wide open woods and that it was game over. That sucked.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/25/18 10:20 PM

Oh man. That was gut wrenching. I reviewed the tape and the bird stopped just short of where Dave had made all those scratchings and put on his little hen show before he set up. Like Jughead said, I just knew we were about to watch him fold him up when he ran that neck up. Maybe a redemption video is next!

Dr. B

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/25/18 10:58 PM

That was a tough one for sure. I think we all would have maybe set up the same way, or thoughts of maybe a little closer to that lip. But like Dave said, if you did set up closer to the lip all he would do is skirt to the left or right and get behind you and then it's over. Sometimes you do everything right and they just win. I bet that was an old turkey. If he wasn't he sure acted like one. A love sick 2 year old would have come over that hill like something was chasing him and you would have had to shoot in self defense.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/26/18 10:26 AM

That’s definitely sucks when they get that close and no shot, like said before you can’t win em all but I bet they get some redemption

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/26/18 11:57 AM

That last video was how bout 80% of my turkey season went last year I felt the pain.
Posted By: Johnal3

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/26/18 02:03 PM

That does hurt there. Hurts even worse when you only get to hunt a day or two a week.....maybe

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/26/18 02:11 PM

That last video was how bout 80% of my turkey season went last year I felt the pain.

Couple of times last year I set up too close to a bird and ended up being handcuffed. Picking a spot you believe you can kill a bird is definitely an inexact science and sometimes there's not really a "better choice".

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/26/18 03:38 PM

Maybe I've missed it but I've yet to see them use anything but a mouth call.........you don't need to carry a vest full of pots, boxes, strikers, slates, wingbones, and so on.

Dr. B

Pretty much what I’ve started doing last 10 years. Lots of fellow hunters I know doing the same.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/26/18 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Johnal3
That does hurt there. Hurts even worse when you only get to hunt a day or two a week.....maybe

I hear ya. I see where your going grin

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/27/18 05:30 PM

Which one of y'all bumped their bird? grin

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/27/18 06:48 PM

That's how folks get a knot put on their head.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/27/18 07:14 PM

geez. They handled that better than I would. What a douche.

Dr. B

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/27/18 07:14 PM

[quote=crenshawco]Which one of y'all bumped their bird? grin

Prolly Southwood😁!! Maybe not, I think he had limited out already

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/27/18 08:56 PM

[quote=crenshawco]Which one of y'all bumped their bird? grin

Prolly Southwood😁!! Maybe not, I think he had limited out already

😂😂😂 I swear it wasn’t me. Like most of us I apply the Golden rule to turkey hunting. I would never even approach another hunter who was working a bird much less tell them I was going to loop around them. That’s so disrespectful.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/27/18 08:56 PM

Wasn’t me, I was in south Alabama that day.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/27/18 09:18 PM

That could've turned ugly pretty quick!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/27/18 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by North40R
That could've turned ugly pretty quick!

No doubt! I have all the respect in the world for y’all that hunt public ground because of what y’all have to put up with and that’s exactly why I only hunt it if our turkeys disappear because my temper wouldn’t work well in those situations!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/27/18 09:51 PM

That’s tough.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/27/18 10:50 PM

That's just standard stuff. Deal with it all of the country on public land.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/27/18 11:57 PM

Really like the videos. Shows how hard that time of year and public land turkeys really are.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/28/18 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Gobl4me

I disagree! The only time we've ever ran into rude hunters on public land was in Missouri and every time there it was guys from Arkansas. Since that experience years ago we scout public land now for other hunters as much as we do turkeys. Isolated pockets of public ground that don't boast about population have produced better for us than any big name areas.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/28/18 02:16 AM

Until just now rofl

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/28/18 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag
Until just now rofl

If you're willing to put in the work to find the areas I'm talking about then welcome!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/28/18 04:16 AM

^^^^^This.

Hunting public land is not for everyone. It sure does feel good to get a limit on public ground. It definitely makes you a better turkey hunter.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/28/18 03:53 PM

That video right there is bout how skyline goes purty regular....i roosted 3 birds one time i walked in the next mornin(skyline) stood there listnin cuz it was bout time for on to holler on the limb an i rekin i was at least 150yrds an i was tginkin about sittin down...when i heard somethin...i looked up an here come 3 dudes wearin gilly suits...i said "hey...how yall doin" in a real low whisperin voice..one ofem(an older gentlemen) said "ohhhh..purty good, just figured wed come try out this turkey huntin thing..we aint ever been" i thought "uh oh" but bein the nice guy that i am and having killed a few birds in my life i just sai "ok..well i got some roosted up here and we all gonna hunt together this mornin" oh they was excited. So we slipped about another 50 yards up the road and sit down. I stuck them out in strategic places...giving myself...the um..uhh most strategic spot. The birds gobbled and purred atem some an they answered. They flew down and i could hearem drummin..they got closer an i could see them struttin through the timber at about 75 yards..comin right at me...all of the sudden they all stopped and come outah strut an stood straight up and started putting..an then they busted and wer gone...i was puzzled...perplexed..i was bein still..hadt done anything wrong....when i hear giggling..i turn and look an the 2 younger guys wer sittin back there gigglin and high fivin...i said "hey...what the heck are are yall doin"...they said " manjewseethatdeeer...gahleee...izzah bigiss doe i ever seen"...apparantly a big doe had walked by behind us and them 2 morons had attempted to crawl up an take a picture with there cell phone..and they had been sucessful and wer celebrating. I said" well gahlee...last time i checked we wer turkey hunting.....yall didnt see the turkeys and HEAR them?" .."oh no we forgot all about them.." i looked over at the old man about to ask him what he thought about this....asleep...had been apparently the whole time. I walked over and poked him an he raised up real quick snortin and wheezing "jawlgiteem."...i said "nope...they went thataway tho..go gitem" i pointed. And got my stuf up toldem to have a nice day an i leftem there. I was in rare form that mornin. I had tried to be somewhat accomadating to these gentlemen who apparantly had zero clues about the hunting of turkey birds but they screwed me none the less and i dont think they really knew any better.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/29/18 03:39 PM

Well first of all welcome to the forum for Squirrel! You guys are doing a dang good job. thumbup

I just started watching this 2 days ago and being a big Osceola guide and hunter I really liked those Florida hunts. For you guys that havent been there now you can see just how thick and wet it is down there.

I know most guys here are used to watching "condensed hunts" on videos or TV. Now you get to see ALL the videos laid on hunts (or at least a lot more..because even they are editing some out.)

TV shows and DVDS and videos have to edit down the hunts so they fit into the segment lengths between commercials, or the time in videos each hunt is given.

Here you get to see 40-50 minutes of just 1 hunt..instead of 3 -4 kills in 4-7 minutes a harvest trying to pack kills in on a 30 minute show with only 22 and 1/2 minutes for the actual SHOW content after commercials. Gives you a lot more insight of what really is going on.

Also as to them getting better with the cameras, I think they are doing well in all that thicket just trying to get them on film. I thought they rolled pretty good tape for how thick it is.

As you guys know I was a TV videographer and editor. I am very critical on footage...but we hunted IMPROVED Pastures on Private managed lands there. It is A LOT easier to film in the open fields I got to film in then those dang palmetto thickets and swamps! I think they do well as you can in that thicket to get the birds on tape.

Also you get to see how those long legged Osceolas will go through swamps and water like nothing. On the state land hunts we harvested gobblers on down there it was just like that...thick and wet. You can either try to shoot them on the roads and firebreaks. Or find openings in the cypress ponds etc where they can pitch down to and walk.

By the way, when they talk about "domes" they mean Cypress domes or Heads. The cypresses grow where there is water or cypress ponds.

The majority of the rest of the land is palmetto thickets with PINES.

As for them finding LONE gobblers not henned up, the school of thought we always went with is if you get ON a bird and he is in those PINES, he usually is a LONE gobbler that was looking for hens when he roosted there. We found if you got into the cypress heads on a bird there were usually hens there with him.

If you can find one alone in those pines they are usually a lot easier to kill as at least they dont have hens..and WANT to!

I think they give a great portrayal of PUBLIC LAND hunting for Osceolas. The main point being how wet, how thick it is and how you really have to work to get them.

Another point I wanted to make was how you see them in their TRUCK in the AMs filming, and how they get there EARLY and wait!

Well in Florida on many of the public lands they only let so many people in. ( one place we hunted and killed on it was the first 200 hunters). On the opening morning, there is a LINE of parked trucks at the gate waiting for it to open. If you ever plan on going to Florida and hunting public land you need to know you have to get there early...and even sleep in the car..especially the first days!

I like that they showed that.

I think the whole series is very good so far. Ive watched all the Florida hunts and a lot of the Bama hunts. Ill try to watch the rest yall posted today.

Good job posting the series by the way! thumbup beers

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/30/18 06:51 PM

Day 18 is up.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/30/18 07:30 PM

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/30/18 09:35 PM

Sucked not getting to see all of it, but awesome nonetheless. Man alive what a set of spurs!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/30/18 09:46 PM

Bout time i’s gettin worried grin
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/31/18 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Turkey Petter
These old boys are doing what turkeys do - clucking and purring and soft yelps.

I hear the opposite. They call alot and aggressively way more than I expected. They are turkey killers and I have just started watching their videos. Cool idea and looks like it was a great spring for them!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/31/18 10:21 PM

If those are soft yelps I’d like to hear a loud one. Lol.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/01/18 12:07 PM

Camera mic makes it louder than it seems, things close to mic are magnified some what in volume. Take walking in the leaves while filming, it sounds like a army crashing thru. Dave's proven himself on stage and Chubs and squirrel ain't no slouches either.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/01/18 01:10 PM

Camera mic makes it louder than it seems, things close to mic are magnified some what in volume. Take walking in the leaves while filming, it sounds like a army crashing thru. Dave's proven himself on stage and Chubs and squirrel ain't no slouches either.

The yelps are loud and aggressive whem he is 30 ft from the camera. He is a great caller and I like calling loud and aggressive I was simply suprised they were calling like that on public ground. I always figured those turkeys were call shy, good to know they arent

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/01/18 04:06 PM

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/01/18 08:21 PM

Them jokers are on turkeys every day!!
Posted By: Damyankee

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/03/18 04:17 AM

tbest3 - Thanks for putting these up. Great seeing the real deal type of video. Day 19 was great. A buddy of mine came up with the term 'Mohican sneakin' to describe that type of hunt. grin

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/03/18 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Damyankee
tbest3 - Thanks for putting these up. Great seeing the real deal type of video. Day 19 was great. A buddy of mine came up with the term 'Mohican sneakin' to describe that type of hunt. grin

Man I’m enjoying the heck out of them. I just post them up after I watch them if they haven’t been posted yet. Somebody else started the thread and posting them originally. I think it was Crenshaw.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/03/18 03:55 PM

tbest3 - A buddy of mine came up with the term 'Mohican sneakin' to describe that type of hunt. grin

HaHa! That's what I call the "Cochise sneak" but I like your term too!

Dr. B

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/03/18 04:00 PM

'Mohican sneakin' to describe that type of hunt. grin
There is a fella on Redstone who calls himself the Sneakin Mohican. Always deer hunts on the ground "stalk hunting." More like stomping through the woods and trying to choot em in the arse when they jump up and run. Loudest human in the woods I have ever seen. We have another name for him....the Chickasaw Wreckin Ball. laugh

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/03/18 06:18 PM

I think chubs may have been right when he said they used up two seasons worth of luck on that bird. That was crazy.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/03/18 09:44 PM

Yep, there definitely was some luck involved in that one! Surprised that one didn’t fly away

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/03/18 09:46 PM

My favorite one so far!

Dr. B

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/03/18 09:52 PM

Great video! Could have gone wrong so many ways.... Wonder if the fella in the truck with the dying crow call knows anything about some corn? popcorn

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/03/18 10:48 PM

Great video! Could have gone wrong so many ways.... Wonder if the fella in the truck with the dying crow call knows anything about some corn? popcorn

I’m gonna say yes he do and yes he did unless he get asked by Mr green britches

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/04/18 01:37 AM

Wait. Did I miss something?
Posted By: Damyankee

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/04/18 02:01 AM

tbest3 - A buddy of mine came up with the term 'Mohican sneakin' to describe that type of hunt. grin

HaHa! That's what I call the "Cochise sneak" but I like your term too!

Dr. B

I'm gonna use that. thumbup Regardless what ya call it, It's a pretty cool way to kill a bird.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/04/18 02:18 AM

Watch the last minute or so of today's hunt. Crop was full of corn

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/04/18 02:47 AM

Watch the last minute or so of today's hunt. Crop was full of corn

Ahh, I didn’t watch the last few minutes.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/06/18 08:38 PM

Day 22/23/24 is up!!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/06/18 10:39 PM

What shotgun is Chub using?
Posted By: bamahunt

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/06/18 10:52 PM

I haven't watched 22/23/24, but it looks like Chub uses a 20 gauge M2 and Dave uses a 20 gauge Franchi Compact semi (I think it's the affinity?) both in MO original bottomland.

Does anyone know why they both have green dots that appear to be stickers behind their fastfires? I can't figure it out. All I can think is it's a high-vis sticker that helps them find their gun if they sit it down and they've placed it there so the FFIII hides the sticker from a turkey that is approaching them head on (their gun barrel is pointed at the gobbler).

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/06/18 11:28 PM

Is it the old stickers Missouri used to require ? They haven't been required in 5 years.....

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/07/18 12:23 AM

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/07/18 01:26 AM

Is it the old stickers Missouri used to require ? They haven't been required in 5 years.....

That was my thought when I saw the sticker too.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/07/18 03:06 AM

Their days 22-24 were like my days 1-40+. Waiting on next one!

Dr. B

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/08/18 03:55 PM

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/09/18 05:26 PM

Day 26 is up

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/09/18 11:38 PM

Posted By: hyco

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/10/18 04:15 AM

I’ve learned I don’t get near close enough to start or call enough. They way more aggressive than I am.
Posted By: Cove

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/10/18 01:41 PM

Hey Guys! Dave Owens here, the guy behind the Pinhoti Project. Thanks to ya'll that are following along. I sure appreciate it! beers

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/10/18 01:51 PM

Welcome. Keep up the good work.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/10/18 01:52 PM

Good to have you here Dave. Hope you don’t get burned out on editing, because I am really enjoying your videos.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/10/18 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cove
Hey Guys! Dave Owens here, the guy behind the Pinhoti Project. Thanks to ya'll that are following along. I sure appreciate it! beers

Welcome buddy! Really enjoying the hunts!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/10/18 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by AU coonhunter
Good to have you here Dave. Hope you don’t get burned out on editing, because I am really enjoying your videos.

X2, welcome to aldeer!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/10/18 02:12 PM

Welcome Dave! I was hoping you would join up. Just keep us in turkey videos until March 15th 😀
Posted By: Gate_5

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/10/18 02:43 PM

Welcome Dave!! Glad to have you here. Really enjoying the videos, keep them coming! I appreciate all the hard work you're putting into the project.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/10/18 03:20 PM

No! Thank you sir! You have no idea how medicinal the project has been to folks/addicts like us who despise the end of turkey season and the onset of summer!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/10/18 03:26 PM

I call Cove for the turkey contest next year! Welcome! Hope I havent ruined any of your hunts on public land in bama rofl

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/10/18 03:29 PM

I call Cove for the turkey contest next year!
I doubt he would join your team unless you agreed to smoke cheap cigars after the kills. Been plenty of times in our contests I would have given up a lung to have a teammate that would just post, much less hunt and actually kill a turkey. You may be on to something...I call seconds. laugh

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/10/18 03:46 PM

Welcome. Keep up the good work.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/10/18 03:53 PM

Welcome! Awesome to have you here. Just fair warning about this bunch - it can get a little rowdy, and we tell lies grin
Posted By: Huntinman

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/10/18 03:57 PM

Awesome work behind the gun, camera, editor, and everything else it takes to make such a great compilation of successful public land turkey hunting videos. Well done!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/10/18 04:31 PM

Welcome Dave. Glad to have you. I can’t count the hours I have spent watching your videos

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/10/18 08:45 PM

I appreciate all your compliments! I often need the motivation! Folks have no idea what it takes to comb through the pile of footage I collected over the season and push out these hunts. I'd say each one of those hunts has an average of 8-10 hours worth of labor in them. That's tough to do when you have a full time job.

The quality will begin to fall off a bit (what little bit there was to begin with) and you'll be seeing alot more of me unfortunately. I despise solo filming and my distaste for it shows through. But in the beginning I promised to show something everyday and that's what I think I did. Hope you guys can stick around. popcorn

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/10/18 09:05 PM

I appreciate all your compliments! I often need the motivation! Folks have no idea what it takes to comb through the pile of footage I collected over the season and push out these hunts. I'd say each one of those hunts has an average of 8-10 hours worth of labor in them. That's tough to do when you have a full time job.

The quality will begin to fall off a bit (what little bit there was to begin with) and you'll be seeing alot more of me unfortunately. I despise solo filming and my distaste for it shows through. But in the beginning I promised to show something everyday and that's what I think I did. Hope you guys can stick around. popcorn

Welcome to the site Dave. I think youre doing a great job.

I know how it is editing. Its what I did for 15 years. Reviewing tape after tape for hours pulling out footage then editing it can be tedious at best.

Self filming is also a pain so hats off to you there as well.

Good luck and keep up the good work. thumbup

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/10/18 10:02 PM

So..... No Pinhoti project part 2 ? laugh

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/10/18 10:47 PM

I despise solo filming and my distaste for it shows through.
I volunteer as tribute/cameraman if you ever need one in north Bama or TN for next year’s Pinhoti Project II. I’ll even bring us some public land turkeys to the table! I would give Chubb’s and Squirrel’s left nuts to pick your brain a little on building and running mouth calls.
Posted By: JBrown1975

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/10/18 11:27 PM

Welcome Dave. Enjoying seeing you and Kenny work on them!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/11/18 01:41 AM

I despise solo filming and my distaste for it shows through.
I volunteer as tribute/cameraman if you ever need one in north Bama or TN for next year’s Pinhoti Project II. I’ll even bring us some public land turkeys to the table! I would give Chubb’s and Squirrel’s left nuts to pick your brain a little on building and running mouth calls.

I volunteer to run the gun and you handle the camera and calling

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/11/18 02:16 AM

You should fit right in around here, Dave. I believe most of these guys, like myself, love seeing the “real hunts”.

A mouth call tutorial coming from you would sure be a good thing. wink

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/11/18 02:53 AM

Welcome Dave! Congrats on the big win this year in Nashville and an awesome turkey season. I've enjoyed the videos.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/11/18 03:58 AM

Welcome Dave. Thanks for what you do! I really enjoy watching!
Posted By: AUdeerhunter

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/11/18 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ben2
Welcome Dave. Thanks for what you do! I really enjoy watching!

x2 thumbup
Posted By: wmd

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/11/18 05:30 PM

Welcome Dave, and nice t-shirts.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/11/18 05:41 PM

Welcome Dave!

Great videos.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/12/18 09:02 PM

Welcome Dave! I sure am enjoying these hunts! Thanks for putting them together!

Dr. B

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/13/18 12:04 AM

Welcome to the roost and like Hank said, congrats on the win in Nashville.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/13/18 12:16 AM

Welcome Dave! We got Dave and Squirrel to show up, where's Chubbs? Love what you guys are doing. Look forward to the next video everyday.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/13/18 01:08 AM

Thanks for taking the time to post up all the videos Dave! My favorite set of videos by far!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/13/18 09:28 PM

I haven’t had a chance to watch yet but here’s days 27&28.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/13/18 11:01 PM

That was an awesome hunt and the calling was freakin unreal.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/13/18 11:50 PM

Great one! I’ve forgotten a lot of stuff in the woods but never that!!! I want spoil it for y’all

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/14/18 03:02 PM

and corn......again!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/14/18 08:36 PM

That was a great hunt. I was breathing fast right there with ya and I'm sitting behind a desk just watching! You just proved that sometimes you gotta take a calculated chance and sometimes it pays off!

Dr. B

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/15/18 06:07 PM

Days 29/30/31 are up

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/15/18 11:39 PM

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/17/18 06:46 PM

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/18/18 03:37 AM

Dang good kill Dave! A dead hog is a good hog

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/20/18 05:34 PM

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/22/18 05:43 PM

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/23/18 04:23 AM

The more I watch Dave and Ol' Chubs the more I like them.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/23/18 03:41 PM

days 36/37 are up

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/23/18 04:13 PM

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/24/18 10:32 PM

Days 38/39 are up

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/26/18 03:08 AM

can someone post 38/39?

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/26/18 03:36 AM

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/lQjUglUojXI[/video]

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/27/18 05:46 PM

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/28/18 01:39 AM

Dang, that turkey was almost on the back deck. Lol.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/30/18 11:38 PM

did he post the new one today?

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/30/18 11:47 PM

Boy did he ever! Day 41 is up!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/30/18 11:57 PM

It's a good one

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/31/18 12:37 AM

It’s amazing how they find turkeys almost every day, don’t always kill em but they’re very few days so far they haven’t been on birds, I wish I had a job that allowed me to hunt every morning even it was just an hour or 2

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/31/18 05:21 PM

Day 42 is up

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/31/18 08:40 PM

It’s amazing how they find turkeys almost every day, don’t always kill em but they’re very few days so far they haven’t been on birds, I wish I had a job that allowed me to hunt every morning even it was just an hour or 2

It didn't/ doesn't come without many sacrifices. But I agree, I am fortunate to be able to see the sunrise every day of the spring season.

Thank you guys for keeping up with the videos even with the upcoming deer season. I know most folks have switched gears as of now.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/31/18 09:15 PM

We have only one gear in this forum. Keep me coming. smile

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/31/18 10:03 PM

We have only one gear in this forum. Keep me coming. smile

That’s right! This group here deer hunts to pass the time until spring. When a new Pinhoti project video is posted I put you up on the TV in the den. My wife just shakes her head 😂
[Linked Image]

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/31/18 11:06 PM

^^ I do the same and my wife does the same.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/01/18 02:33 AM

how yall do that ^^^^?

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/01/18 02:35 AM

It didn't/ doesn't come without many sacrifices. But I agree, I am fortunate to be able to see the sunrise every day of the spring season.

Thank you guys for keeping up with the videos even with the upcoming deer season. I know most folks have switched gears as of now.

I usually do switch gears but keeping up with these videos has me finding my self outside at sunrise listening for gobbles, and it’s almost Labor Day! I was really critical of your earlier vids because it wasn’t what I expected, but every single one has gotten better. I’m not literally on the edge of my seat waiting waiting for the next one to be released.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/01/18 02:59 AM

No switching gears! Just passing time till spring rolls around

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/04/18 11:47 AM

Day 43 is up and another good one.

Keep them coming Dave! Deer season is nothing more than scouting for the spring to some of us here.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/04/18 12:09 PM

Yep, just watched it.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/04/18 12:51 PM

I was itching to see these during season but now glad ya waited.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/05/18 04:36 PM

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/06/18 02:07 AM

Cove you must be mad at them Turkeys! I am wore out just watching you guys get after em every day. I used to could go day after day but now days sleep wins a lot of days especially in marginal weather.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/06/18 03:39 PM

Cove you must be mad at them Turkeys! I am wore out just watching you guys get after em every day. I used to could go day after day but now days sleep wins a lot of days especially in marginal weather.

It's like breathing. I can't NOT do it. Life would be much easier if I could take some days off I think . . . . Day 45 is on its way.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/06/18 05:06 PM

It's like breathing. I can't NOT do it. Life would be much easier if I could take some days off I think . . . . Day 45 is on its way.

thumbup it's up!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/06/18 06:44 PM

Exactly how I feel about it! Turkey season drives every thought throughout the year. People who don't love it the way we do don't understand.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/06/18 07:48 PM

Posted By: hawglips

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/06/18 11:35 PM

Love the videos Dave.

It's so refreshing to see some true to the essence videos, instead of the typical set-decoys-in-a-field-and-film-them-run-in variety. Thanks!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/07/18 01:28 AM

I just want a hat. smile

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/07/18 02:19 AM

Keep them coming Dave. I can’t imagine how much work it has taken to put all these videos together, but I really enjoy them and hope you continue the project next year.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/07/18 02:29 AM

Keep them coming Dave. I can’t imagine how much work it has taken to put all these videos together, but I really enjoy them and hope you continue the project next year.

X2. It sure has made this offseason more tolerable

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/07/18 02:48 AM

I just want a hat. smile

I would buy a couple pinhoti project hats. Hint, hint Dave lol.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/07/18 01:38 PM

X2. It sure has made this offseason more tolerable

Agree, and am very appreciative of the effort, Dave! Like someone mentioned earlier, I too, wanted them back in the spring, but now am very thankful of the timing, because it is basically deer season, and I am guessing we still have 35% of the videos to watch. Spring's coming fast! Dave, my cap preference is gonna be a Richardson 112.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/10/18 06:10 PM

Day 46 is up!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/10/18 07:05 PM

I would have shamed my buddy to death if I had called two up in one day for him to miss, they were in them thick that day

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/10/18 07:12 PM

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/10/18 07:41 PM

Missing one is bad, dealing with two in the same day is on another level. Squirrel held up better than I woulda, something I learned long ago is never shame anybody for missing a turkey it inflicts bad JUJU on ya.
Posted By: Gobble4me757

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/10/18 09:49 PM

Missing one is bad, dealing with two in the same day is on another level. Squirrel held up better than I woulda, something I learned long ago is never shame anybody for missing a turkey it inflicts bad JUJU on ya.

Especially on them out of state hunts where time and money are especially on the line...worst feeling in the world just about...

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/11/18 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Gobble4me757

Especially on them out of state hunts where time and money are especially on the line...worst feeling in the world just about...

Yep. I usually miss a couple a year for whatever reason but I missed a $600 turkey a few years ago and it took me a long time to get over it.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/12/18 04:17 PM

47 is up

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/13/18 02:36 AM

Cove next time squirrel misses like that send poor country preacher on here a pm. He has a cure for the bad turkey juju!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/14/18 11:26 PM

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/14/18 11:27 PM

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/17/18 05:17 PM

Day 50

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/17/18 06:00 PM

how yall do that ^^^^?

Man Im trying to figure it out too Ben. Post up how you get em on your tv guys. Us old timers arent that tech saavy..or at least not Ben and I.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/17/18 06:44 PM

If you have a smart tv just download YouTube, the same if you have a roku or amazon fire stick. Or you can get a hdmi adapter that plugs into your phone and plug it into the tv.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/17/18 06:53 PM

I'll either go to the youtube app on the tv and pull it up from there or if I get a notification on my phone that a new video has been uploaded, I'll pull it up on my phone and there's a place on my phone screen to click and it plays it through the tv.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/17/18 06:59 PM

For you old farts, wrap some aluminum foil around the rabbit ear and it should come play on the TV just fine. smile

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/18/18 01:32 AM

If you have a smart tv just download YouTube, the same if you have a roku or amazon fire stick. Or you can get a hdmi adapter that plugs into your phone and plug it into the tv.

Fire roku smart stick what?? I have a cable tv! I will just watch it on the old phone. Dang smart TVs will spy on you ya know

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/19/18 06:27 PM

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/20/18 01:41 PM

don't get me wrong, I like to kill one everytime I go, but that turkey in the last video is the reason they eat at people like us so bad. That's as much or more motivation to get right back in there and kill that joker

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/20/18 07:59 PM

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/20/18 08:00 PM

don't get me wrong, I like to kill one everytime I go, but that turkey in the last video is the reason they eat at people like us so bad. That's as much or more motivation to get right back in there and kill that joker

I agree, that’s the kinda thing that makes more gray hairs appear on my head

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/21/18 01:05 AM

Cove "two things I hate both of them are four wheelers" ha ha ha could not agree more

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/21/18 06:50 PM

Cove "two things I hate both of them are four wheelers" ha ha ha could not agree more
Lol! I enjoyed that too. No doubt he is coming to our stomping grounds in this next episode. And as I understand it from a reliable source, they killed one too. Given it was the “last weekend” of Alabama season, their timing was perfect....at least for this past/very strange season.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/24/18 05:48 PM

Day 53

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/24/18 06:12 PM

Was that Jughead or Brent on the 4 wheeler?

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/24/18 08:56 PM

That was a good one!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/24/18 09:01 PM

HA HA! No sir! Me and BrentM are similar to Dave....if the Yota won't make it there...then we are out of luck....because piss on a 4 wheeler! The big difference is that he will obviously just go on ahead and walk over a damn Jackson County mountain to get to a place that MIGHT still have a turkey on it the last weekend of season. My hats off to him on every front....that joker is 100X more turkey hunter than I will EVER be!!!!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/24/18 09:44 PM

Great hunt!

I wonder what camera he has mounted to the barrel? Takes decent video and audio.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/24/18 10:26 PM

Great hunt!

I wonder what camera he has mounted to the barrel? Takes decent video and audio.

He mentioned in an earlier video that some place modifies them cameras, I think it did well too

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/25/18 01:15 AM

Another great hunt! Dedication to get into an area like that and patience to not over react after spooking the bird on the first encounter.

Way to stick Dave!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/25/18 02:38 AM

HA HA! No sir! Me and BrentM are similar to Dave....if the Yota won't make it there...then we are out of luck....because piss on a 4 wheeler! The big difference is that he will obviously just go on ahead and walk over a damn Jackson County mountain to get to a place that MIGHT still have a turkey on it the last weekend of season. My hats off to him on every front....that joker is 100X more turkey hunter than I will EVER be!!!!
you figure out where he’s at too Chad? Lol

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/25/18 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Hevishot13
We might have figured it out. Might be a good thing too....one less 3 year old to beat us over the head next year. Thankful for all of those jakes going forward though! grin

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/25/18 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Hevishot13
We might have figured it out. Might be a good thing too....one less 3 year old to beat us over the head next year. Thankful for all of those jakes going forward though! grin

I'm just wished I lived in the Turkey Mecca of Jackson county. You know it must be good if that's where Dave is picking to hunt

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/25/18 03:21 AM

That spot is Coosa County pal. One of poorcountrypreacher’s favorites!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/25/18 03:29 AM

Interesting... game check stats are out now. Yall can no longer hide the secret.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/25/18 03:48 AM

Interesting... game check stats are out now. Yall can no longer hide the secret.

You still harping over that dumb game check? Who the heck even pays attention to that, much less reports to it. That is to say, if I ever turkey hunted 🤷🏻‍♂️

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/26/18 07:36 PM

Days 54/55 are up

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/27/18 01:56 AM

Can someone post 54/55 for us non Instagram folks

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/27/18 02:02 AM

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/28/18 03:03 AM

Thanks guys!

And that barrel camera is a RunCam. A guy puts after market lens in them, I think you can actually look up how to do it yourself online. I'll have to look up the website I got it from. It's better than nothing.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/28/18 03:06 AM

Dave, how far out are we from the out west footage?

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/28/18 01:59 PM

Dropping one today that'll be 3 days of before work stuff around here, then one more day here then it's off to WA, ID and MT.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/28/18 02:09 PM

Dropping one today that'll be 3 days of before work stuff around here, then one more day here then it's off to WA, ID and MT.

thumbup I'm looking forward to that

Re: Pinhoti Project - 09/28/18 05:52 PM

Re: Pinhoti Project - 10/01/18 04:12 PM

Re: Pinhoti Project - 10/02/18 07:39 PM

Day 60 is up and a good one at that.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 10/02/18 09:41 PM

Yep, it's a really good one. I imagine this whole 9 day trip is going to be pretty fun to watch.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 10/03/18 01:21 AM

Fantastic!!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 10/04/18 05:18 PM

Re: Pinhoti Project - 10/05/18 03:08 AM

The last 2 days have been awesome hunts.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 10/05/18 02:28 PM

The last 2 days have been awesome hunts.

The whole series has been pretty awesome! I've never tried to hunt with a camera and can only imagine the hassel of dragging everything along that it requires.

Again, thanks Dave for going through the trouble it took to put all of this together and put out these videos! This series has kept me on YouTube daily waiting for your next upload.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 10/09/18 02:03 AM

Saw a new day was up on facebook can anyone post it here

Re: Pinhoti Project - 10/09/18 02:44 AM

Re: Pinhoti Project - 10/09/18 02:52 AM

Ben, all of his videos are on youtube. Just go there and search for pinhoti project and it will pull them up.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 10/09/18 02:56 AM

Ben, all of his videos are on youtube. Just go there and search for pinhoti project and it will pull them up.

Thanks

Re: Pinhoti Project - 10/09/18 02:57 AM

Cove (Dave) you have a pm

Re: Pinhoti Project - 10/09/18 02:00 PM

The northwest was a fun few days! Catastrophe strikes on the next day which severely hurts the documentation. But, as with this whole deal we will "roll with the punches!" Thanks again for those of you that are keeping up! And if you got in on the apparel yesterday, it's greatly appreciated! I'll be digging my way from under that pile all weekend I suppose.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 10/10/18 07:31 PM

Day 63 is up

Re: Pinhoti Project - 10/11/18 05:50 PM

63 was a good day Dave! Bad day for the project but a dang good day for you!
Posted By: JA

Re: Pinhoti Project - 10/11/18 07:22 PM

Hey Dave. Really enjoying the videos, I’m up to day 8.

I hear you referring to “dropping a pin” when you hear a gobble. What app are you using to do that?

Re: Pinhoti Project - 10/11/18 08:59 PM

Re: Pinhoti Project - 10/15/18 03:17 AM

Day 64 was good! Congrats to Courtney on the single season slam!

Dave you and I have very similar wives/girlfriends. My wife only needs an Osceola for her grand slam. She and I are trying for a single season grand slam together this coming season.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 10/15/18 06:35 PM

Re: Pinhoti Project - 10/16/18 12:45 AM

Wow! Beautiful spot to kill a gobbler!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 10/20/18 01:06 AM

Posted By: RemingtonRules

Re: Pinhoti Project - 10/20/18 10:09 AM

I am thinking the building has some TSS buried in it.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 10/24/18 07:25 PM

Lot's of calling and gobbling in this one. It's a good one!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 10/24/18 10:14 PM

That’s was a wild one!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 10/24/18 10:52 PM

That was awesome! Hard gobbling birds and y'all stuck through everything and made it happen.

Can't wait to see footage from Mexico and Maine!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 10/25/18 02:16 PM

That was awesome! Hard gobbling birds and y'all stuck through everything and made it happen.

Can't wait to see footage from Mexico and Maine!

Thanks guys! Not sure what I can put together for Mexico- PaleHorse Productions owner was along for that trip and documented everything for a short film (maybe for NWTF or MossyOak, heck I can't remember) so I kept my camera in my pocket for most of it out of respect for a guy who is making his living with the camera. But I definitely got some stuff in Maine! It was a great finale.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 10/25/18 03:32 PM

Loved the last one. I won't spoil it for those who haven't watched it, but even before you pointed out "remember there were" I was thinking the same thing. Then I got to horse laughing at Chubbs. Great video!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 11/02/18 06:34 PM

Re: Pinhoti Project - 11/03/18 01:44 AM

That’s a good one!!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 11/03/18 12:58 PM

Definitely another good video! The hen yelping before Chubbs kill was awesome!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 11/08/18 05:30 PM

Posted By: Mully

Re: Pinhoti Project - 11/08/18 08:45 PM

I saw COVE's instragram saying he was posting his last kill of 2018 today. I went ahead and ordered me a hat and two track stickers for my trucks.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 11/08/18 09:57 PM

That was good one!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 11/09/18 09:41 AM

Congrats on a hell of a season Dave! Thanks for taking us along for the ride.

Sure hope to see one with Chubbs filling that last tag in Maine!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 11/09/18 07:35 PM

Sure hope to see one with Chubbs filling that last tag in Maine!

Me too! And I’m betting he does cause I think he would’ve killed Cove if he didn’t. Things got a little tense there at the end. rofl

Re: Pinhoti Project - 11/09/18 08:02 PM

Me too! And I’m betting he does cause I think he would’ve killed Cove if he didn’t. Things got a little tense there at the end. rofl
I ain't gonna lie...Dave is an amazing turkey hunter and caller (and Chubbs too for that matter). I also ain't gonna lie that I would have done whipped his little arse by now though. laugh
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: Pinhoti Project - 11/12/18 07:05 PM

Just saw this topic last night and enjoying the heck out of it. I’m up to day 29 and it’s great see real turkey hunts. Awesome job

Re: Pinhoti Project - 11/13/18 02:25 PM

I ain't gonna lie...Dave is an amazing turkey hunter and caller (and Chubbs too for that matter). I also ain't gonna lie that I would have done whipped his little arse by now though. laugh

Why's that? If thats the way it came across I've done a terrible job of telling this leg of the story? slap

I'm working on the last day of Spring 2018 at the moment. Hopefully I can have it to you guys tomorrow!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 11/13/18 02:40 PM

Hate to see it end TBH, preciate ya documenting the season for us and hope you continue.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 11/14/18 03:32 AM

Why's that? If thats the way it came across I've done a terrible job of telling this leg of the story? slap

I'm working on the last day of Spring 2018 at the moment. Hopefully I can have it to you guys tomorrow!

He just likes whipping little peoples arses. Just hope he dont show up at the meet and greet

Re: Pinhoti Project - 11/14/18 02:17 PM

He just likes whipping little peoples arses. Just hope he dont show up at the meet and greet

He's a big arse teddy bear. rofl

The last day is encoding now . . . beers

Re: Pinhoti Project - 11/14/18 02:46 PM

Dave, I know it has been a massive undertaking and extremely frustrating to tote those cameras and equipment to document this season. I am sure as big of a headache to edit and produce the videos, but thank you! It has been a great ride for us that love chasing Spring gobblers. The reality of the videos itself, the good/bad/ugly is what made it great. Rarely do things go perfect and you put it out there and show that even some of the best hunters with there best efforts still come up short at times. My applause and appreciation for your content and determination in bringing it to us. Thanks again!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 11/14/18 03:02 PM

And thanks for leaving the decoys at home. I'd rather see a gobbler slipping through the woods to the gun than watching a hunter sit over a decoy.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 11/14/18 04:09 PM

I'm just playing brother. I just love the intensity of you two and your taking shots at each other during the high intensity moments of the hunt! Real stuff...been there and done that and it has always ended like it does for you guys....all is well and sometimes we get to celebrate over a dead turkey together knowing we have made a memory we won't soon forget!

And don't listen to Ben! He is just a goober that often chooses fishing over turkey hunting. He is just blessed one of us from the Beards and Spurs forum ain't whipped HIS arse on sheer principle. laugh

Re: Pinhoti Project - 11/14/18 07:25 PM

Just watched the last one, thanks for sharing this Dave! Enjoyed every video and hope you do again next spring!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 11/15/18 12:48 AM

I'm just playing brother. I just love the intensity of you two and your taking shots at each other during the high intensity moments of the hunt! Real stuff...been there and done that and it has always ended like it does for you guys....all is well and sometimes we get to celebrate over a dead turkey together knowing we have made a memory we won't soon forget!

And don't listen to Ben! He is just a goober that often chooses fishing over turkey hunting. He is just blessed one of us from the Beards and Spurs forum ain't whipped HIS arse on sheer principle. laugh

I used to love turkey hunting and still do but I dont have birds like we used to and spring fishing has the potential to bring in $17,000 most saturdays in April especially

Re: Pinhoti Project - 11/15/18 02:57 AM

Hate to see it end! I know exactly how y'all felt that day. Watching this last video was almost as bad as the end of my season in Oklahoma this past spring.

Thanks for the extended spring y'all had us along for and the dedication it took to keep the camera rolling.

Cove I hope to meet you and Ol' Chubbs one day. Both of y'all seem like good dudes that share a passion for turkey hunting. It's an obsession that I think only a few really get overwhelmed with and others will never understand.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 11/15/18 03:31 AM

Hey Cove, how many cigars did you smoke in the 2018 season

Re: Pinhoti Project - 11/15/18 08:06 PM

Hate to see it end TBH, preciate ya documenting the season for us and hope you continue.
Amen!!! The PP has gotten us all the way to mid-November before having the opportunity to REALLY get down about there being no spring turkey hunting to be done. I found it especially medicinal during the dog days of summer, which are always the worst for me personally.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 11/15/18 11:23 PM

Hey Cove, how many cigars did you smoke in the 2018 season

Not enough! grin

Thanks again guys! It's been the busiest "off season" I've ever had, no doubt.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 11/17/18 02:44 AM

Just watched an episode of "The Wild Outdoors" hunting turkeys. Well at least their version of turkey hunting. A flock of decoys set up under a roost tree, in a blind and never yelped to the birds. Sorry but if I wanted to ambush hunt I'd go deer hunting!

Thanks for showing true turkey hunting Dave! I'll still throw out the full strut decoy in open terrain but sitting in a blind to ambush one just isn't turkey hunting.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Pinhoti Project - 01/03/19 02:41 AM

I dont know how the hell I missed out on this whole thing for so long but I just "discovered" these videos yesterday. So far watched Days 1-3 in FL and loving them. Even GomerJr has gotten into them, I told him it's about as close to actually being there as you can get. Not like most televised hunting shows.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 01/03/19 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by GomerPyle

I dont know how the hell I missed out on this whole thing for so long but I just "discovered" these videos yesterday. So far watched Days 1-3 in FL and loving them. Even GomerJr has gotten into them, I told him it's about as close to actually being there as you can get. Not like most televised hunting shows.

Dang, you been under a rock? I was just thinking about going back and rewatching a few of them.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 01/03/19 03:22 AM

Sitin here watchin day 28...i watched the first few awhile back..good stuff. Ol daves a purty good turkey hunter and makes some mighty fine huntin shows..in alot of places ive put boots on so i know what hes goin through totin that camera...i did a similar move with a dang sony dslr handycam self filmin bowhunts.. I managed to tote it about half the season before i was ready to throw it in the lake..ill never doit again with a camera that size. I believe hes using one of the higher grade cannon vixias and those are bad little cameras. The time and effort hes putting into this...not countin sittin in front of a camera editing...this boys the real deal.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 01/10/19 03:57 AM

Made my night when a new upload notification popped up on my phone. I actually went back and rewatched one of the last Florida hunts and one of the early season Alabama hunts just this morning.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 01/10/19 04:00 AM

That's a Jenny too. Looks like they're as dumb as they're male counter parts
Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Re: Pinhoti Project - 01/13/19 04:39 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1SEXCVrPcc&t=2s

Scroll to 9:17. Did that really happen?

Of course I was not there. But dang. Maybe add a little rebuttal segment at the end...that looks like some seriously poor judgment. I do enjoy watching these videos but a little surprised at this.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 01/13/19 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by ozarktroutbum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1SEXCVrPcc&t=2s

Scroll to 9:17. Did that really happen?

Of course I was not there. But dang. Maybe add a little rebuttal segment at the end...that looks like some seriously poor judgment. I do enjoy watching these videos but a little surprised at this.

Huh?

Re: Pinhoti Project - 01/13/19 05:26 PM

If you mean the shooting over/around the two in the front the shooter is far left of the camera and had a clear shot without any chance of hitting one of the other birds.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 01/13/19 05:31 PM

Lookah likeah he kiwld da tucky

Re: Pinhoti Project - 01/13/19 05:44 PM

I’ve watched that video several times in the past and I’ve never seen anything questionable?
What do they need to explain?

Re: Pinhoti Project - 01/13/19 06:07 PM

After chambering a round he handed off the shotgun pointed straight at his buddy's face...or that was how it appeared on the video.

Like I said, I was not there and for all I know those guys are very safe hunters...maybe it was pointed slightly away from the other guy but it just doesn't look good at all TO ME.

Guys, I know I whine a little from time to time about the guys that hunt 45+ days a year (really I am jealous of them!) but I know that a lot of ya'll are great, ethical and safe hunters and think highly of the guy that does these videos.

I just don't think something like that should be overlooked. If it was me I would have scrapped the video.

As ya'll know, turkey hunting will test you in a LOT of ways...and I won't go into detail because I know yall piddlers know what im talking about lol

But in all seriousness, if a gobbler makes you compromise in any way that that goes against your better judgment then you're doing it wrong.

People make mistakes and I make mistakes but don't post the dang video.

But also, bear in mind this is coming from a guy that won't even point a unloaded gun in an unsafe direction. I assume that is commonplace but maybe it's not.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 01/13/19 06:23 PM

I'm guessing it wasnt nearly as bad in person as the camera angle made it look, simply because if it was, editing that out would be been very very simple. The fact that they didn't see a need to edit that little clip out makes me think the angle made it look worse than it was.....I'd have gone ahead and edited it out anyway, myself.

But, bad camera angle or not, handing someone a gun barrel-first is a bad idea.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 01/13/19 07:08 PM

I see now, I wasn’t even paying attention to the gun had off. Like a Gomer said,camera could’ve made it looks worse.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 01/24/19 02:04 PM

New video up

Re: Pinhoti Project - 01/24/19 09:37 PM

Nice. The reworked videos were my favorites I was wondering if he’d do anymore of them. I know it had to be tough trying to do reworked videos while editing and uploading hunts.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 01/30/19 05:33 PM

New video just went up. Haven’t watched it yet but I bet there’s gonna be some good info in this one.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 02/25/19 10:39 PM

Haven’t had a chance to watch yet, but a new reworked is up.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 02/26/19 12:55 AM

Thats the best one to me

Re: Pinhoti Project - 02/26/19 01:37 AM

I’ve been watching the Florida hunts again the last few nights in preparation to headed down there this year.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 02/26/19 01:41 AM

Which one of y’all was that chopping on that box call 😂

Re: Pinhoti Project - 02/26/19 01:58 AM

Good Article in the March Issue of AON about Dave too. Just got finished reading it.
Posted By: BOFF

Re: Pinhoti Project - 02/26/19 03:31 AM

Great videos of the hunts.

I know it takes a bunch of time editing the video, and a headache as well at times to have to video everything.

Thanks!

God Bless,
David B.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 02/26/19 12:12 PM

That reworked episode just got me fired up. Sounds like the Pinhoti project 2019 version will be kicking off this Friday so we ought to have fresh content coming soon.
Posted By: BIG-AL

Re: Pinhoti Project - 02/26/19 01:15 PM

By far my favorite videos. Only bad thing is they make me realize how bad my calling sux!!! Keep up the good work guys. Good luck.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 02/26/19 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by BIG-AL
By far my favorite videos. Only bad thing is they make me realize how bad my calling sux!!! Keep up the good work guys. Good luck.

If it makes you feel any better, 99% of turkey hunters' calling sucks compared to them.
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: Pinhoti Project - 02/26/19 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by BIG-AL

If it makes you feel any better, 99% of turkey hunters' calling sucks compared to them.

I always thought I was a pretty good caller until I started watching them. I've tried and tried to tweak my calling and match the sounds that they make but I just can't figure it out for the life of me.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 02/26/19 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Coosa1If it makes you feel any better, 99% of turkey hunters' calling sucks compared to them.[/quote

I always thought I was a pretty good caller until I started watching them. I've tried and tried to tweak my calling and match the sounds that they make but I just can't figure it out for the life of me.

One thing about calling that I've gleaned from these videos is the amount of clucking that should probably be done... both while walking and when actually working a bird.
Posted By: ALMODUX

Re: Pinhoti Project - 02/26/19 02:45 PM

Spending a lot of time penned in by hens and just doing what they do, probably doesn’t hurt, either. It’s good they seem to take the time to point out small things that many don’t get to experience without the luxury of lots of time in the midst of a lot of turkeys in varied settings. There’s always something new. You can never say never with a bird that has a brain like a pecan.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 02/26/19 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bamarich2
Originally Posted by Coosa1If it makes you feel any better, 99% of turkey hunters' calling sucks compared to them.

I always thought I was a pretty good caller until I started watching them. I've tried and tried to tweak my calling and match the sounds that they make but I just can't figure it out for the life of me. [/quote

One thing about calling that I've gleaned from these videos is the amount of clucking that should probably be done... both while walking and when actually working a bird.

Yep, he made a comment in one of the videos that makes sense....if you're going to be walking through the woods anyway, you might as well sound like a turkey walking through the woods, and they're constantly making little subtle noises. There's one sound they make, not sure if you'd call it a cluck or something else, but I can't for the life of me get anywhere close to that sound. If anyone knows what I'm talking about and has a simple explanation, I'd love to hear it. For example, he does it several times starting around the 10:30 mark here.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 02/26/19 03:20 PM

Making a turkey sound in the woods without a plan and a tree already picked out to sit against can be a dangerous thing. Those guys are elite turkey hunters and they know what they are doing but I guess what I’m trying to say is if you’re new to turkey hunting don’t get it in your head that easing around in the woods clucking can ever be a good thing. I’m not talking about getting shot I’m talking about spooking turkeys.
Wasn’t directed at anybody in particular just made me think of a discussion a friend and I had a while back after watching that video.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 02/26/19 03:24 PM

Making a turkey sound in the woods without a plan and a tree already picked out to sit against can be a dangerous thing. Those guys are elite turkey hunters and they know what they are doing but I guess what I’m trying to say is if you’re new to turkey hunting don’t get it in your head that easing around in the woods clucking can ever be a good thing. I’m not talking about getting shot I’m talking about spooking turkeys.
Wasn’t directed at anybody in particular just made me think of a discussion a friend and I had a while back after watching that video.

That point makes sense too.....I, personally, try to lean toward the very conservative end of the calling spectrum because I'm just not very good. I do some short quiet yelping and rely a lot on scratching in the leaves most of the time, but usually I at least have a tree picked out before I do any calling so that if something surprises me, I have a plan.

But damn I want to be able to make that sound they're making in the clip I posted above. grin

Re: Pinhoti Project - 02/26/19 03:26 PM

One simple thing he does that I think gets overlooked a lot and is really underrated as far as sounding like pure turkey is the one and two note yelps. Think about how many times you’ve heard someone call and every time they yelp it’s a long drawn out series. I’ve heard hens make those single and double note yelps more than I have the longer series of yelps.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 02/26/19 03:38 PM

I think the clucking while walking is part of the plan... they don't do it blindly walking around prospecting from what I recall (I could be mistaken here). They do it when they either are working towards a bird that stopped gobbling or towards birds that they have located. There's always the off chance that in doing this you will get a bird to sound off close and he'll leave you scrambling for a setup. However, if he's close enough to spook doing that, you're probably going to spook that bird anyways. Gomer... Dave calls it a "water cluck" or a "water drop cluck". It's not that hard to learn, but it's easier to do it on some calls than others.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 02/26/19 03:55 PM

On several occasions I've had gobblers come into or gobble just at the sound of walking in the leaves. Turkeys and humans are very hard to impossible to distinguish between sometimes and it fools turkeys sometimes.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 02/26/19 06:14 PM

On several occasions I’ve scratched my way to a tree trying to get to a turkey cause I knew he had to be able to hear me walking and he’d get there about the same time I got sat down good.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 02/26/19 08:40 PM

Gomer the sounds you're talking about are just content sounds turkeys make while going about their everyday business. The water drop cluck is nothing more than a feeding/content cluck. Kind of like a feeding/content purr. You won't here hens make these sounds unless you're extremely close to them and they're absolutely at ease. They're the same as a excited cluck and purr just toned down.

I've used them and the little whip and whine on gobblers that are close and need that little reassurance to take those last few steps.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 02/26/19 08:55 PM

On several occasions I’ve scratched my way to a tree trying to get to a turkey cause I knew he had to be able to hear me walking and he’d get there about the same time I got sat down good.

yep...this....I'll walk and pause then scratch my foot a couple of times like a turkey, then repeat on certain occasions...works deer hunting too in order to not spook as many deer

Re: Pinhoti Project - 02/27/19 04:10 AM

Here we go boys!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/01/19 06:06 PM

They've already got one down in the FL youth season!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/01/19 06:33 PM

Good stuff.
Posted By: Spec

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/01/19 08:09 PM

That was the best one yet. Must be a lot of pollen today!! Lol. Be after for youth season with my boy.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/01/19 08:17 PM

Fine..Fine..Fine....boy..i liked that. That little feller will remember that firever.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/01/19 09:45 PM

That was AWESOME!!!!
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/02/19 12:05 AM

I started watching this on YouTube. It's like you are right there with them. My wife laughs at me about how I catch myself whispering along with them. It gives me the goose bumbs when they here those first gobbles of the morning. This is the next best thing to actually being in the hunt. Good videos.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/02/19 12:12 AM

Cove you actually look alive. I dont remember the beginning of last years videos but you looked wore out in the last month of the season! Good luck and be safe traveling again this year. I Enjoy the great videos!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/02/19 12:18 AM

That’s a good one!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/02/19 02:14 AM

That’s a good one!

Yes it was!!
Posted By: Camden86

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/02/19 02:24 AM

That was a great video and start to the project
Posted By: Clark8907

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/02/19 03:57 AM

I cant wait to experience that with my boy. Several more years. That's the best video yet!!!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/03/19 02:57 PM

Awesome video....must've been some dust in here or something, eyes got watery. Also Dave must've upgraded cameras. Looked like some Planet Earth footage of those gens up close.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/03/19 03:19 PM

Awesome thumbup

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/03/19 06:10 PM

Per Facebook he killed yesterday morning too

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/08/19 05:46 PM

So one question I have after having watched all of last season's hunts...........there was more than 1 video where he killed a bird that morning before work, then the video cuts forward to that night (dark outside) where he's cleaning the bird. So, how long after killing one can you safely wait before cleaning it? Can one assume he's putting the bird in a cooler on ice or in an outside fridge or something?

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/08/19 05:49 PM

He’s probably putting it on ice. I like cleaning one as quick as I can. It makes getting that slim and sliverskin off easier.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/08/19 05:58 PM

So one question I have after having watched all of last season's hunts...........there was more than 1 video where he killed a bird that morning before work, then the video cuts forward to that night (dark outside) where he's cleaning the bird. So, how long after killing one can you safely wait before cleaning it? Can one assume he's putting the bird in a cooler on ice or in an outside fridge or something?

We have a chest freezer on the back porch where I work. If I kill one before work I’ll throw it in there and then clean it when I get home. 6-7 hours in that freezer the head and neck will be froze solid but the breast and leg meat will just be starting to get a little stiff. Makes them easier (for me) to clean by far.

There have been a couple times on hot days that I’ve field dressed one and stuck a frozen 2 liter bottle in the body cavity but that is a stinky job

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/08/19 06:03 PM

Turkeys bake in the sun all day alive everyday and their meat is fine when we kill em. I dont think half a day is gonna hurt it. Same with deer their meat is usually kept warm by the animal anyway

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/10/19 12:06 AM

Episode 2 is up

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/10/19 12:49 PM

They shouldn't complain about people being all over them. It's by there own doing and it'll only get worse the more they film. Loose lips sink ships - old as time except YouTube has a bigger audience than your local coffee shop.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/10/19 01:21 PM

They shouldn't complain about people being all over them. It's by there own doing and it'll only get worse the more they film. Loose lips sink ships - old as time except YouTube has a bigger audience than your local coffee shop.

Exactly.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/10/19 02:26 PM

Really didn't take that as complaining, just commenting on how many people were there. Rhe only time you'll really hear them complain is when someone knowingly comes moving in on them instead of giving them space.
Posted By: Semo

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/10/19 03:09 PM

On the lag time to cleaning. I am a big proponent of doing it as quick as possible. Especially if it is above 70-75 degrees. If you have to wait, sticking ice in the body cavity is what I do. For those that haven't, it is real easy just cut around the anus and pull everything out. Insert ice.

I don't pluck them anymore (haven't in 20 years) and it only takes about 5 minutes to clean one and have it in zip locks in a cooler. So why wait? I only save the breasts, thighs, and drumsticks.

There is a reason many people won't eat wild game and a lot of it has to do with poor preparation and handling.
Posted By: Richard Cranium

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/10/19 03:21 PM

[/quote]
Really didn't take that as complaining, just commenting on how many people were there. Rhe only time you'll really hear them complain is when someone knowingly comes moving in on them instead of giving them space. [/quote]

I agree with you Gomer. To walk in over two hours to kill a turkey really defines their passion. Not to mention a good portion of it is walking through probably knee deep water.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/10/19 06:43 PM

Big Cypress is no secret. The difficulty in hunting it is well known too. That hunt was as real as it gets, loved it!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/11/19 12:28 AM

I eluded to this last year...hunting national forests is the “thing” to do now. It’s become quite fashionable to let everyone know about it, too.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/11/19 12:33 AM

There are going to be folks following you around and sniping spots. With as many locations as I figured out though my limited knowledge of the place by watching the videos I’m sure that locals or others who hunt it a lot figured out even more locations. It’ll make for more competition I’m sure but they can still kill birds and may not even be hunting the same areas as last year. I know for a fact they are not just hunting cypress though.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/11/19 01:59 AM

Enough people were traveling to hunt before the hunting public and pinhoti project. Now it’s on the verge of becoming a fad....duck hunting has been about ruined by the same. Turkey hunting is a holy thing..... more travelin hunters and competition on a somewhat dwindling resource isn’t good

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/11/19 02:12 AM

Enough people were traveling to hunt before the hunting public and pinhoti project. Now it’s on the verge of becoming a fad....duck hunting has been about ruined by the same. Turkey hunting is a holy thing..... more travelin hunters and competition on a somewhat dwindling resource isn’t a good

Fad hunters won't stick with it more than 1 or 2 hunts when they figure out how much work is involved in killing a turkey, particularly on public land. Not many people are willing to put in 2 or 3 miles, before sunrise, only to get skunked. 1 or 2 tough hunts coming up empty handed, they'll be hitting the lake from then on.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/11/19 10:51 AM

I know for a fact they are not just hunting cypress though.

Correct. But it takes a few years to draw some of the areas they've hunted. Pretty sure he quit showing 'real' imagery after I PM'd him about a FL spot last yr. I'd hunted the exact same spot a couple years prior.

And yup, the 'fad hunters' won't stick with it. And the turkey killers are going to kill regardless of the pressure.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/11/19 01:48 PM

Fad hunters won't stick with it more than 1 or 2 hunts when they figure out how much work is involved in killing a turkey

Originally Posted by deerhunt1988
And yup, the 'fad hunters' won't stick with it. And the turkey killers are going to kill regardless of the pressure.

I thought the same thing about some of these duck hunters but damn if they aren’t unwavering.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/11/19 01:57 PM

Fad hunters won't stick with it more than 1 or 2 hunts when they figure out how much work is involved in killing a turkey

I thought the same thing about some of these duck hunters but damn if they aren’t unwavering.

I don't know of many duck hunters that walk 2 or 3 miles into their spots. Maybe a few do, but not many. Also, it seems duck hunting is about time spent cutting up with your buddies as much (more?) as it is about actually hunting. Turkey hunting doesn't lend itself to the social aspect nearly as well as duck hunting. So, not only are you busting your ass hiking in to your spot, you're doing it alone. I'm not too worried yet.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/11/19 02:46 PM

I don't know of many duck hunters that walk 2 or 3 miles into their spots. Maybe a few do, but not many. Also, it seems duck hunting is about time spent cutting up with your buddies as much (more?) as it is about actually hunting. Turkey hunting doesn't lend itself to the social aspect nearly as well as duck hunting. So, not only are you busting your ass hiking in to your spot, you're doing it alone. I'm not too worried yet.

Good point and I guess most folks have this mindset, but I’m more worried about killing birds than I am shooting the bull with my buddies. If that’s all it was about for us we’d just do that over a nice breakfast at the diner. I’ve had plenty of trips in to holes to find and kill ducks that were just as bad or worse.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/11/19 04:28 PM

Courtenay must’ve killed one today according to her Facebook picture update

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/11/19 04:29 PM

Chubbs has a pic up on their instagram too so they've killed a few over the last week.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/11/19 04:47 PM

they seem to be having trouble but it looks like most everything has standing water which isnt ever a good thing. think they've only seen 3 die since including youth season if I'm not mistaken
Posted By: bwhunter

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/11/19 04:59 PM

I think they are up to four now. Killed one on youth opener, Dave, Chubbs and Courtney have each killed one the best I can tell.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/11/19 05:02 PM

I would've loved to have been down there this week but it sure seems like the water has made things even tougher than normal.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/11/19 05:06 PM

I don't think it was them but I saw a vid on facebook where some guys walked up on a big @$$ python while turkey hunting down there. Wonder how tss #9s would do on a 15ft snake?

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/11/19 05:28 PM

Dave had a full week to scout between the youth hunt and regular opener on land he already knows so that tells you just how hard it is down there this year.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/11/19 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Coosa1
I don't think it was them but I saw a vid on facebook where some guys walked up on a big @$$ python while turkey hunting down there. Wonder how tss #9s would do on a 15ft snake?

I don’t know, but I would’ve found out. I don’t normally shoot a snake if I decide to kill him. I’ll normally hit him with a stick, but not a 15 footer.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/11/19 08:24 PM

To paraphrase Ron White....I don't know how many turkey shells it would'a took to kill him, but I know many I'm gonna use!"

#allof'em

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/14/19 04:58 PM

Episode 3 is up on Mossy oak Go app
Posted By: hootn

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/14/19 05:16 PM

To paraphrase Ron White....I don't know how many turkey shells it would'a took to kill him, but I know many I'm gonna use!"

#allof'em

45 acp. For me.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/19/19 05:40 PM

Episode 4 and 5 are up on MOGO app
Posted By: sw1002

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/20/19 02:36 AM

What kind of vest is that Dave is wearing? Looks to have the claw type straps like the Dixon.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/20/19 02:49 AM

I'm guessing Ol Tom. Looks like hes picked up another sponsor or two this year, Ol Tom being one of them.
Posted By: sw1002

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/20/19 02:57 AM

I was thinking that too but don't see anything like that on their website. Maybe it hasn't been released yet.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/20/19 01:38 PM

I know Chubs was running a Dixon some last year, because Dave joked about Chubs swapping to the old Dixon for good luck or something....he may have snagged one himself.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/20/19 01:51 PM

It’s not a Dixon, but I’d like to know. I Wonder if it’s a prototype he is testing.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/20/19 02:45 PM

Vest looks like an Ol Tom Time & Motion Easy Rider, with the addition of the Claw straps. I actually ordered one, yesterday. I couldn't tell if Dave's had a special hydration bladder pouch on the back, or if it was just the spine pad.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/20/19 02:49 PM

Seems like he's pretty much always got a camelbak bladder (or off-brand) on whichever vest he's wearing....now, depending on the vest he may have had it added by someone that can sew.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/20/19 04:36 PM

Well...i did see a vest at a store the other day that i really liked and it was a brand ive never heard of an that sucker looked to be built right...they had one an said they were just tryin them out...one of the nicest vests ive ever seen also..id tell yall where it is if i didnt plan on goin to buy it maself grin

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/20/19 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by CarbonClimber1
Well...i did see a vest at a store the other day that i really liked and it was a brand ive never heard of an that sucker looked to be built right...they had one an said they were just tryin them out...one of the nicest vests ive ever seen also..id tell yall where it is if i didnt plan on goin to buy it maself grin

Well dang man at least tell us the brand so we can try to look it up online!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/20/19 04:53 PM

Well, thats why i said where...i dont remember what it is called...i just remember where it is rofl

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/20/19 04:57 PM

Well, thats why i said where...i dont remember what it is called...i just remember where it is rofl

Didn't happen to be the Nomad MG vest did it? I almost bought one of them if the Alps Grand Slam hadn't worked out. Liked the way it fit and the layout seemed pretty good.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/20/19 05:00 PM

No, i aint ever seen their stuff..ever. This vest was the first ive heard of them...i think anyway..yall got me second guessin maself but i know it wasnt nomad,alps,ol tom/drake, etc.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/20/19 05:10 PM

No, i aint ever seen their stuff..ever. This vest was the first ive heard of them...i think anyway..yall got me second guessin maself but i know it wasnt nomad,alps,ol tom/drake, etc.

Banded maybe?

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/20/19 05:11 PM

Tenzing?

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/20/19 05:17 PM

I've also been curious about whatever happened to this deal as well? I understand they make quality stuff but they're real proud of it too.

http://www.badlandspacks.com/skullworks-turkeyvest

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/20/19 05:34 PM

Well i came over here an sombody done bought it..asked the feller what it was called an he said he cant even remember..said the vest came from a show an he bought it for a freind an it wouldnt fit him so he sold it for what he bought it for..$50. Since its gone now..maybe one of yall bought it. It was at gto in guntersville, may be a well known brand that ive just never seen before but it was nice.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/20/19 05:42 PM

..asked the feller what it was called an he said he cant even remember...

WTF mad rolleyes

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/20/19 06:48 PM

Seems like he's pretty much always got a camelbak bladder (or off-brand) on whichever vest he's wearing....now, depending on the vest he may have had it added by someone that can sew.

He said in one of the videos last year that they always alter there vest so they can sew or have someone else do it

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/20/19 07:03 PM

He said in one of the videos last year that they always alter there vest so they can sew or have someone else do it

Yep...folks can laugh if they want, but being able to do basic, functional sewing on a machine is a game changer. I'm in the process of learning now. Being able to alter a vest, or hem a pair of paints since most camo manufacturers think everyone on earth has a 32" inseam, or stitching up the seat of your pants when you rip it, jumping up to grab a bird....that's huge.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/20/19 07:30 PM

Yep...folks can laugh if they want, but being able to do basic, functional sewing on a machine is a game changer. I'm in the process of learning now. Being able to alter a vest, or hem a pair of paints since most camo manufacturers think everyone on earth has a 32" inseam, or stitching up the seat of your pants when you rip it, jumping up to grab a bird....that's huge.

I married a master seamstress and she can do anything. She just finished buildin another dress the other day..she has made me several items. I think i posted a pair of turkey pajama pants she made me awhile back. She also made her own wedding dress and she was absolutely beautiful

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/21/19 12:27 AM

Next episode is up on mossy oak go app and it’s a goodun

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/21/19 02:11 AM

Yes it is, it still blows my mind to see the stuff those birds walk through. Especially seeing it first hand this year just how thick and swampy habitat they live in.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/21/19 02:13 AM

What's up with the mossy oak app thing? Is it free? I wish they'd just put them on YouTube

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/21/19 02:27 AM

It is free and has all sorts of videos on it.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/21/19 02:53 AM

Can you watch it on a computer with the app?

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/21/19 03:11 AM

Can you watch it on a computer with the app?

Yes. I’m really liking the app so far.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/21/19 04:01 AM

My question is how does he not have his truck broken into with all that stuff in the back?? I'm really surprised it hasn't happened yet to be honest
Posted By: slayinbucks24/7

Re: Pinhoti Project - 03/29/19 08:04 PM

Some killer footage of a bird on the limb in the one that dropped today!!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 04/16/19 01:49 PM

They’re in Alabama. Mossy oak go is updated quicker than Pinhoti Project YouTube. Mossy Oak Go

Re: Pinhoti Project - 04/16/19 01:56 PM

I haven't watched many of this season's videos yet....figure I'll wait until summer when I'm suffering from withdrawals.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/08/19 02:25 AM

Just watched chubbs complete the super slam. Final state for his 49 was Arkansas

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/08/19 02:31 AM

Just watched chubbs complete the super slam. Final state for his 49 was Arkansas

I watched that one a day or two ago. Really cool to see. I cant imagine the emotions of accomplishing that feat. Based off of Dave's Instagram, he ought to have a lot of good hunts coming up soon

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/28/19 01:46 AM

I watched that one a day or two ago. Really cool to see. I cant imagine the emotions of accomplishing that feat. Based off of Dave's Instagram, he ought to have a lot of good hunts coming up soon

And there have been. This was the greatest thing every to happen to turkey hunting on this forum last year. Guess no one is into it this year? I’ve watched every episode so far.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/28/19 01:50 AM

I havent missed one either. He just usually posts them on the Mossy Oak app before YouTube and I dont know of a way to embed those videos here. I check both every morning so I always watch whichever one is posted first

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/28/19 02:00 AM

I havent missed one either. He just usually posts them on the Mossy Oak app before YouTube and I dont know of a way to embed those videos here. I check both every morning so I always watch whichever one is posted first

Me too

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/28/19 02:03 AM

Me too

Maybe Dave will check in here and see this. He probably is losing exposure by going to MOGO first on a lot of the online forums. I dang sure dont want to see the Pinhoti Project go away so the more views he gets the better

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/28/19 04:30 AM

I’ve been keeping up on the mossy oak app as well. Still enjoying the content and definitely don’t want it to go away. Keep it up Dave thumbup

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/28/19 10:06 AM

I'm still watching them on YouTube. Definitely do not want it to go away.

Between the Pinhoti Project, THP, Shane Simpson and Catman I watch YouTube more than a regular TV. Lol!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/28/19 10:57 AM

New episode up on MOGO this morning.

https://go.mossyoak.com/pinhoti-project/season:2/videos/kinda-live-episode-32-pinhoti-project

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/28/19 08:19 PM

Man that sleezy is one laid back and comical fella.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 06/29/19 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Richard Cranium
Man that sleezy is one laid back and comical fella.

Agreed and Dave said he’s an Internet forum guy. Maybe we can get him to join here and entertain us.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/01/19 12:12 PM

Another new one is up

https://go.mossyoak.com/pinhoti-project/season:2/videos/kinda-live-episode-33-pinhoti-project

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/01/19 01:10 PM

Definitely makes the off season more enjoyable only negative side I cant stand to watch Outdoor or sportsmans channel anymore. Dave Owens and Aaron Warbritton(Hunting public dude) have set a new bar on outdoor TV in my opinion.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/02/19 10:59 AM

Another new one. Even the old pros make mistakes sometimes

https://go.mossyoak.com/pinhoti-project/season:2/videos/kinda-live-episode-34-pinhoti-project

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/02/19 11:11 AM

Watched that one last night and that was ruff! But I bet he recovers quickly!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 07/12/19 11:07 AM

First hunts from out west for this year, and they're good ones.

https://go.mossyoak.com/pinhoti-project/season:2/videos/kinda-live-episode-38-pinhoti-project

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/01/19 04:14 PM

Just watched the last two episodes and I believe they said they were in North Dakota. I checked their fish and wildlife website and it only shows a fall turkey season for non-residents, no spring season. Wonder how they got their tags?

I’ve looked at North Dakota because I’ve got family there. Looks like a windy and cold place but I’d at least have land to hunt and a place to stay but I don’t want to go in the fall. Anybody ever turkey hunted North Dakota?

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/01/19 04:19 PM

Indian reservation I assume. Couple that with them showing the motel they were in/glassing from and that place is screwed.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/02/19 07:01 PM

Only two reservations in ND with turkey hunting. Standing Rock and Fort Berthold.
Posted By: Orion34

Re: Pinhoti Project - 08/13/19 11:55 PM

Yep, I’d say you’re right. The Big Cypress hunters—at least them that don’t have swamp buggies—would agree.
Posted By: 7mmWSM

Re: Pinhoti Project - 01/06/20 01:50 AM

I just watched the final episode of last years series with Chubb getting caught off gauard and then killing the 2nd bird. Very informative. Owens mentioned hunting In Maine. I tried to find these episodes but was unsuccessful. Can someone point me to them?

Re: Pinhoti Project - 01/06/20 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by 7mmWSM
I just watched the final episode of last years series with Chubb getting caught off gauard and then killing the 2nd bird. Very informative. Owens mentioned hunting In Maine. I tried to find these episodes but was unsuccessful. Can someone point me to them?

That was the end of the first series
Posted By: 7mmWSM

Re: Pinhoti Project - 01/06/20 02:34 PM

My bad. Did he ever put the Maine hunts up?

Re: Pinhoti Project - 01/06/20 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by 7mmWSM
My bad. Did he ever put the Maine hunts up?
He withheld those hunts, much to the disappointment of a whole bunch of us. Supposedly, he was going to release them closer to the upcoming spring turkey seasons. I haven't seen any update on when or if that will still happen though.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 01/11/20 03:37 PM

New video up recapping a prior hunt and explaining each move they made.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 01/12/20 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Richard Cranium
New video up recapping a prior hunt and explaining each move they made.

Great Reworked Video from Season 1

Re: Pinhoti Project - 01/20/20 03:13 PM

New video up from Minnesota last season!

Re: Pinhoti Project - 02/05/20 12:22 AM

Just finished watching two hunts from Wisconsin just uploaded in the last week or so. Guess he just got around to uploading them. Wonder how many more he has from last season?
Posted By: Thread Killer

Re: Pinhoti Project - 04/24/22 02:35 AM

Just found this. Very good videos.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 04/24/22 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by Thread Killer

The best turkey hunting videos out there hands down
Posted By: Thread Killer

Re: Pinhoti Project - 04/24/22 03:18 AM

Awesome, at this point my season is done I guess. Gonna sit back and watch these and try to learn me some things, get some better gear and get ready for a fresh start next year. Looking forward to that vest man. Thanks bud.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 04/25/22 02:07 AM

Awesome, at this point my season is done I guess. Gonna sit back and watch these and try to learn me some things, get some better gear and get ready for a fresh start next year. Looking forward to that vest man. Thanks bud.

Anytime bud

Re: Pinhoti Project - 04/25/22 04:42 PM

I would give anything if I could go back in time and never be a guy that contributed (IE this post) to the popularity of this Pinhoti/THP/casting pearls before swine nonsense. Lesson learned I guess.
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: Pinhoti Project - 04/25/22 04:52 PM

I would give anything if I could go back in time and never be a guy that contributed (IE this post) to the popularity of this Pinhoti/THP/casting pearls before swine nonsense. Lesson learned I guess.

strong 👊🏻 hindsight is 20/20, Jug

Re: Pinhoti Project - 04/25/22 06:03 PM

100%
Posted By: Zbrann

Re: Pinhoti Project - 04/25/22 06:33 PM

I'm surprised Dave doesn't get bashed more on here considering he kills a few dozen gobblers a year on public land and profits indirectly from it.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 04/25/22 07:55 PM

One of the worst thing that could of happened to public land turkey hunting/hunters
Posted By: gcr0003

Re: Pinhoti Project - 04/26/22 09:13 PM

One of the worst thing that could of happened to public land turkey hunting/hunters

whatever

Re: Pinhoti Project - 04/26/22 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by gcr0003

whatever

He’s not wrong…you should see the circus that is Tennessee public from hunting public and dave…
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: Pinhoti Project - 04/26/22 10:04 PM

whatever

He’s not wrong…you should see the circus that is Tennessee public from hunting public and dave…

what about Catman? aint he a TN guy?

Re: Pinhoti Project - 04/26/22 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by BamaGuitarDude

whatever

what about Catman? aint he a TN guy?

Yep forgot him as well..Catman straight up ruined yanali…
Posted By: Here4fun

Re: Pinhoti Project - 04/26/22 10:30 PM

Only two reservations in ND with turkey hunting. Standing Rock and Fort Berthold.

Standing Rock is a good place. In both SD and ND and all you do is buy the reservation tags. You dont even need a state license. Used to be over 1.2 million of acres of land and I saw a lot of turkeys on some of it. I was Mulie hunting not turkey hunting but there were some good pockets for sure. Especially a long the river where the cottonwoods and ag fields are.

Re: Pinhoti Project - 04/26/22 10:31 PM

But theys just trying to create awareness, do it the right way, and help others kill some birds along the way.

One bird limit in a state. Ok, cool - they go to the next one. Everybody can do that for 3 months, right?

Re: Pinhoti Project - 04/27/22 01:10 AM

And on top of that these arsehats are now pimping out Chamberlain to the point that he is affecting season and limit changes in states throughout the Southeast. Chamberlain is the Faucci of turkey biology and both of them need to eff off
Posted By: Semo

Re: Pinhoti Project - 04/27/22 02:10 AM

And on top of that these arsehats are now pimping out Chamberlain to the point that he is affecting season and limit changes in states throughout the Southeast. Chamberlain is the Faucci of turkey biology and both of them need to eff off

Thanks for posting what Ive been thinking
Posted By: Here4fun

Re: Pinhoti Project - 04/27/22 03:17 AM

I agree with you 100%
© 2024 ALDEER.COM