Aldeer.com

Missed again

Posted By: k bush

Missed again - 04/21/18 02:04 PM

Second time this year, before that I went years without missing a turkey. Changed to an 870 compact 8s the only difference but I don't think it's the gun.
Posted By: Johnal3

Re: Missed again - 04/21/18 02:28 PM

My buddy in Texas has an 870 that he can not shoot with just the bead. For whatever reason, he or the gun shoots about 2 feet high. He’s got a beretta that he shoots just fine with a bead, but the stock configuration or something on that gun makes him miss waaaayyyy high. May want to look at getting some different sights if you are shooting with just a bead.
Better luck next time. At least your getting to fool with some.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Missed again - 04/21/18 05:16 PM

90% of turkey misses are because the shooter didn't get his head down
Posted By: Beak_Buster

Re: Missed again - 04/21/18 05:19 PM

I feel you pain! I’ve missed 3 with 870 compact and 9s this year, missed the first 2 with Burris FF3 and 1 with bead sight. I’ve since put the 20 gauge down and picked up my old 12.
Posted By: High_Voltage

Re: Missed again - 04/21/18 08:41 PM

I had the same issue with my 21” 870. I couldnt aim that short barrel. Had to get an FF3.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Missed again - 04/21/18 09:08 PM

I knew dang well not to open this thread, but did anyway a few hours ago. Then had as a perfect a hunt as I've ever had. Called a gobbler away from 2 hens and he came in a trot to 20 yards. My shooter has eye problems and missed. frown. I should have placed him in position to see better.

It's bad mojo to read about a miss

Re: Missed again - 04/21/18 11:36 PM

Looks like I have good company. A FF3 or another optic is in the works. Toted my 3.5" Beretta for one hunt after the first miss. That thing is like toting a telephone pole in the woods.
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Missed again - 04/21/18 11:55 PM

I like to run an ivory mid-rib bead on my turkey guns. It really helps to keep your head down and no peeking.
Posted By: Mully

Re: Missed again - 04/23/18 04:01 PM

I missed one with 870 and 21" barrel this year. This is my first year shooting that gun and first time ever shooting a gun with such as short barrel. I have now put a FF3 on it and looking for a bird to test it on. Shooting Nitro 7.5x9s and it shoot a wicked pattern.

Re: Missed again - 04/23/18 04:30 PM

Is your 870 a 12 or 20 ? Wish they made a speed bead mount for the 870 compact. Wonder if it can be modified to fit ?
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: Missed again - 04/23/18 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by poorcountrypreacher

I knew dang well not to open this thread, but did anyway a few hours ago. Then had as a perfect a hunt as I've ever had. Called a gobbler away from 2 hens and he came in a trot to 20 yards. My shooter has eye problems and missed. frown. I should have placed him in position to see better.

It's bad mojo to read about a miss

Was that after your laser procedure? Man, I hate that. To the OP, been there myself. It's a sick feeling but just get back after them!

Dr. B
Posted By: Damyankee

Re: Missed again - 04/24/18 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by BhamFred
90% of turkey misses are because the shooter didn't get his head down

Yup. I missed the first turkey I ever shot at. After I got over the heartbreak, I pieced the hunt together in my mind, and figured I shot about 6 ft over that bird's head. grin Hard lesson, but one I've never forgotten. I've missed birds since, but not because my head wasn't on the gun.
Posted By: gman

Re: Missed again - 04/24/18 04:58 PM

I missed the first bird I ever pulled the trigger on 2 weeks ago smirk After 3hrs of calling, setting up, flanking, calling, setting up, flanking...DRUM GOBBBBBLLLEEEE there he was 40yds away! Coming pretty much straight at me. 25 yards, bead is on him...BOOM...wiff. I think I may have lifted my cheek off the comb to peek? Ugh!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM