Aldeer.com

Nesting activity

Posted By: k bush

Nesting activity - 04/19/18 10:38 PM

Prepping for some summer plots and run a hen off what I assume is a nest on a food plot. I had sprayed 1/2 of the plot and was mowing before planting. I didn't get off the tractor and look for it, she was in the unsprayed portion so I just backed out and let her be.

If I plant early Sat morning fo you think she'll abandon the nest if I disturb the area one more time? This is only the second turkey sighting in the field in over a year so I wasn't expecting a nest in the area.
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: Nesting activity - 04/19/18 11:41 PM

If you left her some cover for the nest she'll probably stick around. 2 years ago I was Bush hogging a field getting ready to plant corn. Bush hogged right over a nest I didn't know was there but didn't disturb nest or break any eggs. Mowed around it and left a little cover. She was already setting and came right back to it. I kept working on the field for several days and she hung in there. She'd stay on the nest unless I got too close. If I ran her off the nest, I could park the tractor and shut it off and she would be back on the nest within 15-20 minutes. I kept a check on the nest and she hatched about 10 of the eggs. She was definitely committed to the task, I called her the mother of the year
Posted By: k bush

Re: Nesting activity - 04/20/18 12:10 AM

Thanks. She's probably 15 feet or.so.from the mowed edge and maybe double that on the other side. It's a long narrow strip. Happy to see her in there for sure.

Thinking about poisoning all the fire ant mounds in the area too.
Posted By: zgobbler5

Re: Nesting activity - 04/20/18 07:15 PM

I sure hope all the deer hunters hold off for a little while before bush hogging and so forth and let these hens finish their nesting.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM