Aldeer.com

LFTW- 4/5

Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

LFTW- 4/5 - 04/05/18 09:36 AM

Looks like I am first one out. I finally heard a turkey gobble on the roost yesterday, and I'm gonna try to end the season this morning. The safest play would be to set up.on a field 250 yds away from him and try to call him into it. He has hens and they will probably drag him into it eventually anyway.

But that would be no fun. I'm gonna try to set up 75 yards away from it and try to get him to fly down in gun range. If he gets by, it's likely over. I will either post his picture soon or I will sulk away and nobody will hear from me. Good luck to everyone
Posted By: Surefire1911

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/05/18 10:05 AM

Good luck Steve!
Posted By: Squeaky

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/05/18 10:10 AM

Good luck Mr. Steve thumbup
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/05/18 10:21 AM

I just hope they aren’t roosted a mile away this morning.
Posted By: Doeslayer44

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/05/18 10:22 AM

Meeting my buddy this morning. Going to my new land. I hunted it Tuesday for the first time this year got lucky and got a nice gobbler. The cameras says I still got several there so I’m gonna try to put one in front of my buddy. Good luck fellas
Posted By: Deerslyer86

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/05/18 10:38 AM

I just got to my spot and waiting to hear the first creature wake up. Gonna be a beautiful morning and hopefully I can get a BDay bird. Good Luck everyone
Posted By: UMSPORTSFAN

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/05/18 10:44 AM

Just got to my spot on cahaba again. Hope for a good morning . Nice and cool and clear
Posted By: k bush

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/05/18 10:51 AM

Waiting for em to wake up!
Posted By: USeeMSpurs

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/05/18 11:00 AM

Listening to the first whippoorwill of the season. Maybe a sign for good luck. Back on the 1680 acres where I have heard 3 gobbles all season. Good luck errbody!
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/05/18 11:04 AM

Here. Last hunt for a few days. We'll see how it goes.

Dr. B

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/05/18 11:05 AM

Just had some prick park right next to me asking which way I was going to walk and proceed to walk right on in
Posted By: Sulli

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/05/18 11:05 AM

At my listening spot for this morning with my fingers crossed that I hear my 2nd gobble of the year lol
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/05/18 11:36 AM

Beautiful morning but not a sound yet. I know they're here
Posted By: bowtarist

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/05/18 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by UMSPORTSFAN
Just had some prick park right next to me asking which way I was going to walk and proceed to walk right on in

Sounds like you weren't enough of an a hole to him
Posted By: k bush

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/05/18 11:56 AM

Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/05/18 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by bowtarist

Sounds like you weren't enough of an a hole to him

Well he left right after daybreak so
Posted By: bowtarist

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/05/18 12:07 PM

Lol

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/05/18 12:37 PM

Everything went perfectly at first. I got set up without spooking him and could see him in the tree at 80 yards when it got light. He gobbled several times and they all flew down early. Then Murphy's law took over. He came to 25 yds, but I couldn't shoot without killing a hen. They all managed to somehow walk around me without me being able to see them, and a hen was looking hard for me. There were all sorts of openings where I could have shot him, but he hurried through every one of them and always stopped behind something. He finally got to the last place I could shot, so I raised up as high as I could and shot him as he made the last step to go out of sight. Then they all flew off. frown. No sign that I hit him, so maybe he will be ok
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/05/18 12:44 PM

Ouch preacher. That’s tough.
Posted By: CNC

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/05/18 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by poorcountrypreacher

Everything went perfectly at first. I got set up without spooking him and could see him in the tree at 80 yards when it got light. He gobbled several times and they all flew down early. Then Murphy's law took over. He came to 25 yds, but I couldn't shoot without killing a hen. They all managed to somehow walk around me without me being able to see them, and a hen was looking hard for me. There were all sorts of openings where I could have shot him, but he hurried through every one of them and always stopped behind something. He finally got to the last place I could shot, so I raised up as high as I could and shot him as he made the last step to go out of sight. Then they all flew off. frown. No sign that I hit him, so maybe he will be ok

Call for a tracking dog! grin
Posted By: Brent

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/05/18 01:08 PM

Haven’t heard a single gobble today.
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/05/18 01:15 PM

He finally got to the last place I could shot, so I raised up as high as I could and shot him as he made the last step to go out of sight. Then they all flew off. frown. No sign that I hit him, so maybe he will be ok

bummer PCP; sounded like an awesome hunt, tho ... hopefully he'll be back for another shot at him ...
Posted By: NEbamahunter

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/05/18 01:41 PM

Dang!! Well at least we got the full story... lot of folks would have said, "no luck this morning" smile
Posted By: dBmV

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/05/18 01:42 PM

These dang clear cut turkeys are kicking my ass. Everything I do is wrong.

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/05/18 02:00 PM

Of course the only bird I heard was a mile away in the opposite direction they were Tuesday. Got 250 yds from him and he shut up to never say another word. Walked up on a bunch of pigs on the way out. I tried to get under 20yds but a sow saw me so I shot her in the face as a boar mounted her 35 yds away. Didn’t kill her though which sucks but it would have been a hell of a drag.
Posted By: Mully

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/05/18 03:00 PM

I heard a handful of birds. Set up on 2 that were roosted about 100yds from where they were Monday. I got between them and the green field they went to Monday and all was good. I called when they hit the ground and they answered and within 5min I saw them pop in a road and start easing away so I yelped and when I did they hauled ass the other way. Oh well maybe tomorrow.
Posted By: Turkeymaster

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/05/18 03:02 PM

left dothan at 4 this morning and had mother nature hit me about troy and that set me back about 10-15 mins. I ended up being a good 20 mins late and couldn't get to the spot I wanted... Sure enough he flew down and went exactly where I was wanting to get. Looks like I'll be getting up at 2:45 in the Am instead of 330. Actually heard a good many birds this morning but they all only gobbled once or twice
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/05/18 03:24 PM

Nothing heard....again. Don't know that I've ever hunted a prettier place that is so void of turkeys.

I'm leaving today for Pensacola for my (step) daughter's wedding. Be gone for 4 days and actually looking forward to being out of town and enjoying this specsial time. I'm not even the least bit upset that the wedding is during the season. Kinda glad to going out of town so that I have an excuse not to go hunting. This should give me some time to get my mind straight and my motivation back!! I'll be back chasing em next week! Until then I'll be checking the forum and living vicariously through y'all! Good luck to all of you fellow addicts!

Dr. B
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/05/18 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by bamaeyedoc
This should give me some time to get my mind straight and my motivation back!! I'll be back chasing em next week! Until then I'll be checking the forum and living vicariously through y'all! Good luck to all of you fellow addicts!
Dr. B

safe travels bud!
Posted By: Randy74

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/05/18 03:55 PM

Heard one bird at 10am. On new piece of property and I misjudged him bad. Busted him as I was walking around the road to get to him. Stinks too because he was alone and prob ready. Maybe tomorrow!

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/05/18 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by CNC

Call for a tracking dog! grin

Unless your dog has wings, he won't be any help. smile

That turkey was flying above the tree tops the last time I saw him. His body was already over the hill when I shot, and I could only see his head and neck, so I am hopeful that I didn't hurt him. I felt like I had shot behind him when the gun went off. He was walking left to right and my back troubles keep me from swinging the gun well in that direction. I should have just let him go.

I have a lot more excuses I could share, but no turkey. frown
Posted By: North40R

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/05/18 05:28 PM

Sorry bout that Mr. Steve! No doubt you'll get redemption in a day or two!

I'm at work again today but hopefully this is my last day shift until May 2nd! With any luck I might be able to kill one or two before season goes out.
Posted By: Smells

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/05/18 10:43 PM

Hmmm. I'm betting that "prick" was me and you seem like a dishonest person to me because that is not at all what happened. You were parked on one side of co road 260 which for those who are unfamiliar with Cahaba is the main mining road that bisects the wma from Brantleyville to co rd 10. It's a very wide, semi-improved gravel road. Well before first light I arrived after you did and parked on the OPPOSITE side of the road, not right next to you. I crossed the road and approached you as a courtesy to make sure I understood the situation accurately as it seemed you would be going to a spot on your side of the road. Because I couldn't know this for certain, I first confirmed my suspicion that you would be in fact hunting, then I asked, because I didn't want to assume anything, which way you were headed. Never in a million years would I have thought that you felt entitled to both sides of the road. I didn't care which way you went and deferred to your choice. I could not have been more pleasant or agreeable about the whole thing. You were there first and I was fine with that because that's how it works on public land but you are out of your mind if you think you can "reserve" both sides of the main road running through the wma. You made your choice and I walked on in on my side, decided I didn't like it, primarily because I didn't want to listen to the noise of the wash plant that was just a few hundred yards away all morning, and I left. So in the end you wound up with both sides of the road anyway. Now if it had happened the way you say it did, then yes, I would have been a prick, but it didn't resemble anything like what you say. So you have defamed me on an internet forum wrongly and if you're any kind of a man you will make it right.
Posted By: doecommander

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/05/18 11:15 PM

Oh hell
Posted By: Avengedsevenfold

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/05/18 11:16 PM

popcorn
Posted By: MarksOutdoors

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/05/18 11:24 PM

Let's just go ahead and get it all out there.
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/05/18 11:33 PM

popcorn
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/05/18 11:49 PM

In
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/05/18 11:54 PM

I can't park close to someone and go hunting, when they beat me there. I wouldn't want someone to do it to me, so I don't do it to other folks.

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/05/18 11:59 PM

Had a guy do it to me last spring on the forest pulled up beside me and told me that rd was 2 miles long and he didn’t think I would hunt the whole thing. If it wasn’t for us only being able to hunt an hr or so and it being windy as crap I would have showed my ass.
Posted By: lectrode

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/06/18 12:03 AM

Kick his ass Seabass !!!!!!
Posted By: doecommander

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/06/18 12:05 AM

Public land fun

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/06/18 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Turkey_neck
Had a guy do it to me last spring on the forest pulled up beside me and told me that rd was 2 miles long and he didn’t think I would hunt the whole thing. If it wasn’t for us only being able to hunt an hr or so and it being windy as crap I would have showed my ass.

It'd be one thing if he said "oh I'm going down this road" and I said "oh ok well I'm going to go down that road too but I'll just go farther than you" or something like that. That wouldn't fly and I would never do that. That's not what happened. I asked which way he was going and I would go the other way. I said whichever way you go is fine, you choose. He indicated he wanted to go down the road he was parked at and I said ok, and crossed back over co rd 260 and entered down a power line heading 180* in the OPPOSITE direction. If you could see it it would make perfect sense. ANYBODY who thinks they're entitled to both sides of Co RD 260 is just wrong.
Posted By: alight1983

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/06/18 12:51 AM

He may have been thinking if he heard one on opposite side of his truck and not one where he was he would be able to go after it. If i park in an area i go where they gobble. I love it when somebody parks right beside me thinking I'm gonna stay in a bubble the whole morning. This is why I try not to go on public land a lot. There is an argument for either person.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/06/18 12:52 AM

I'd just not hunt period if I had to hunt public land. Cause I'm just not real nice.

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/06/18 12:52 AM

My words were I'm going where the 🦃 gobbles. That parking spot I was at is the only listing spot to cover that area. Very wide is not a word to describe the road it's maybe 15 yards at most..
I'll post a pic when I get home and show the layout from this morning
Posted By: alight1983

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/06/18 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag
I'd just not hunt period if I had to hunt public land. Cause I'm just not real nice.

It is tough to do sometimes
Posted By: deerhunt1988

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/06/18 01:06 AM

Yup, someone parks by me and asks where I'm going, I tell them wherever the bird gobbles! No wrong there... I sure wouldn't park right by someone like that..
Posted By: Atoler

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/06/18 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by N2TRKYS
I can't park close to someone and go hunting, when they beat me there. I wouldn't want someone to do it to me, so I don't do it to other folks.

Yep
Posted By: Beak_Buster

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/06/18 01:08 AM

Public land 101: Your supposed to claim a road and then walk up and down the main road until you hear them gobbling then sneak in and cut em off.

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/06/18 01:09 AM

My truck is the gray one his truck is the white one

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Beak_Buster

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/06/18 01:10 AM

If there is 2 roads, I see nothing wrong in this situation

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/06/18 01:43 AM

maybe this will clear things up. the area is where a gas line crosses a 33 feet wide road it is a ridge between two valleys and is a listening spot for many hunters to listen for birds to gobble and then plan the hunt and how to approach said birds ... in the second pic there is less then 100 feet between our vehicles

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: PaintRock0

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/06/18 02:06 AM

the part where said (many hunters) I would find me another spot to go in
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/06/18 02:28 AM

If There is a truck already there, I keep driving to somewhere else.
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/06/18 02:34 AM

The main thing I don’t understand about this situation is why a turkey hunter would post a picture of a public land listening spot that anyone with google maps can pin point in 2 minutes.

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/06/18 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by Bustinbeards
If There is a truck already there, I keep driving to somewhere else.

Yep, I want as many acres to myself as I can carve out. I try to get as far away from folks as I can.

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/06/18 10:02 AM

I hate that I woke up this morning thinking about this. In hindsight it would have been better had I simply kept going. Better in that I would not currently find myself in the middle of a pissing contest. Don't misconstrue that statement as a capitulation. I am satisfied that I did not violate any reasonable interpretation of "turkey hunting etiquette". In fact, I demonstrated consideration for what you wanted by approaching you and confirming which way you would be going. I didn't have to do that. I could have simply "cut you off" in any number of ways but I wouldn't want someone to do that to me and I would not have done that to you.

As for your parking location being a listening spot, I guess a person can "listen" from anywhere, but anyone familiar with the area would know that that is probably one of the worst places to try and hear a turkey from in the entire WMA because of the previously mentioned proximity of the wash plant just a few hundred yards away. Unless a bird is roosted right there next to Co RD 260 you won't hear him. If however, you move on down the gas line access road and get over to a ridge point, a few hundred yards away, then you're somewhat shielded from the wash plant and you can hear the entire bottom MUCH better. If you try to have your cake and eat it too by trying to hear both sides of Co Rd 260 from that spot, then you end up not hearing either side of the road very well because of the background noise. You have to get further in, on either side of the road, to be able to hear well.

So, did I do anything wrong? No. Did I show you consideration and respect by checking on what your plan was so that I didn't interfere with it? Yes. Did I park right next to you and, after talking to you, walk right on into the area you said you were planning on hunting anyway, as your previous post suggests? Absolutely not. Do I wish now that I had simply kept going? Yes.

I'm done with this thread. Nothing but love for you UMSPORTSFAN. Hope you have your best turkey season ever. I'll do my best to steer clear of you if I see you.
Posted By: JDawg

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/06/18 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Smells
I hate that I woke up this morning thinking about this. In hindsight it would have been better had I simply kept going. Better in that I would not currently find myself in the middle of a pissing contest. Don't misconstrue that statement as a capitulation. I am satisfied that I did not violate any reasonable interpretation of "turkey hunting etiquette". In fact, I demonstrated consideration for what you wanted by approaching you and confirming which way you would be going. I didn't have to do that. I could have simply "cut you off" in any number of ways but I wouldn't want someone to do that to me and I would not have done that to you.

As for your parking location being a listening spot, I guess a person can "listen" from anywhere, but anyone familiar with the area would know that that is probably one of the worst places to try and hear a turkey from in the entire WMA because of the previously mentioned proximity of the wash plant just a few hundred yards away. Unless a bird is roosted right there next to Co RD 260 you won't hear him. If however, you move on down the gas line access road and get over to a ridge point, a few hundred yards away, then you're somewhat shielded from the wash plant and you can hear the entire bottom MUCH better. If you try to have your cake and eat it too by trying to hear both sides of Co Rd 260 from that spot, then you end up not hearing either side of the road very well because of the background noise. You have to get further in, on either side of the road, to be able to hear well.

So, did I do anything wrong? No. Did I show you consideration and respect by checking on what your plan was so that I didn't interfere with it? Yes. Did I park right next to you and, after talking to you, walk right on into the area you said you were planning on hunting anyway, as your previous post suggests? Absolutely not. Do I wish now that I had simply kept going? Yes.

I'm done with this thread. Nothing but love for you UMSPORTSFAN. Hope you have your best turkey season ever. I'll do my best to steer clear of you if I see you.

so if it was such a sucky place to listen from why did you stop there? Especially if another vehicle was in close proximity.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/06/18 04:22 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/06/18 05:28 PM

So basically you're the guy at the grocery/convenience store that stands in front of the two lines waiting but not actually "getting" in line until you see which customer leaves first?

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/06/18 06:29 PM

Who?
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/06/18 07:13 PM

Who?

Originally Posted by doekiller
Jordan, I mean UMSPORTSFAN, the real question is why you still keep trying to come back on this site and stiell have an Aldeer sticker on your truck when you bad mouthed the place every chance you got back when your were banned. Is bamahuntin not around anymore?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jb20

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/06/18 07:37 PM

popcorn
Posted By: doekiller

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/06/18 07:49 PM

Who?

You Pea Ridge,when did you move to Green Pond?
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/06/18 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by doekiller
Who?

You Pea Ridge,when did you move to Green Pond?

True identity has been revealed....
Posted By: outdoors1

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/06/18 08:31 PM

Just can't believe people getting so pissy over a dang turkey! You guys should have double team those birds instead of coming on here having a pissing contest.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/06/18 10:13 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/06/18 10:34 PM

Bye Felicia!
Posted By: bward85

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/06/18 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Shaw
[Linked Image]

For what???? I don't see where anything got out of line here.

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/06/18 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by bward85
[Linked Image]

Oh my slap
Posted By: BrentM

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/06/18 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Southwood7

The main thing I don’t understand about this situation is why a turkey hunter would post a picture of a public land listening spot that anyone with google maps can pin point in 2 minutes.

Says the fella that has single handedly caused more pressure to Cahaba WMA for both deer and turkey than any person who has ever been born. slap rofl

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/06/18 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by BrentM

Says the fella that has single handedly caused more pressure to Cahaba WMA for both deer and turkey than any person who has ever been born. slap rofl

Your wrong hes killed everything hes hunted no other turkey or deer alive know any difference lol

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/06/18 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by jb20

Your wrong hes killed everything hes hunted no other turkey or deer alive know any difference lol

But their sons and grandsons do!

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/06/18 11:10 PM

Lmao
Posted By: Shaw

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/06/18 11:15 PM

UMSPORTSFAN is a previously banned member.
Posted By: bward85

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/06/18 11:21 PM

UMSPORTSFAN is a previously banned member.

10-4.....I didn't know.

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/06/18 11:22 PM

In his previous name he was a member of the band of heathens rofl

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/06/18 11:46 PM

I just said those turkeys were killed on public land and there’s A LOT of public land within driving distance of my house. I would never give the location away of where I killed a gobbler. I guess I need to post the pics I took in front of a couple of those North Alabama wma signs grin

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/06/18 11:49 PM

I thought it was pretty clever posting pics in front of a wma sign on your way back from your lease

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/07/18 12:03 AM

I thought it was pretty clever posting pics in front of a wma sign on your way back from your lease

rofl

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/07/18 01:04 AM

Gotta keep that lease price down. Misdirection and misinformation.
Posted By: buckbrush

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/07/18 01:49 AM

^^^^^^ haha. 1st rule on turkey hunting is never trust another turkey hunter. Even if the turkey hunter is your own father. Ain't that right N2deer.
Posted By: n2deer

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/07/18 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by buckbrush
^^^^^^ haha. 1st rule on turkey hunting is never trust another turkey hunter. Even if the turkey hunter is your own father. Ain't that right N2deer.

Misdirection is a great tactic.
Posted By: Bamaturkeykilla

Re: LFTW- 4/5 - 04/07/18 05:41 AM

Dangit. I thought there were alot of people hunting and killed a smack load of birds with as many pages as this was. Why can't people just hunt these days instead of bitch and moan about my spot and your spot. The world is full of assholes and they only grow in numbers every year.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM