Aldeer.com

Ditching the vest

Posted By: Ray_Coon

Ditching the vest - 03/24/18 09:42 PM

I've over the last couple of years, I have been whittling down the gear that I carry in the woods with me. Last year I bought a Ol' Tom essentials vest to upgrade (downsize) from my super elite 3. I didn't hunt with it last year, but have worn it every time I've hunted this year. Its still too much, but I can't strictly go without the vest mainly because of the large back pouch. I carry my Thermacell, water bottle, clippers, and TP in the back. I also like that it has a cushion that flips down. I was talking to a friend of mine earlier and he was saying that he carries a small shoulder satchel. I wanted to try this, so I have just ordered a Brossie bag. I like the concept, because all my stuff is in one unit, rather than having to shove things in different pockets when I leave the truck. We shall see. Worst case, I've blown $50 and I go back to a vest.

For those of you that don't use a vest, what do you use for a cushion? Looking for something to just clip onto my belt or something similar. I am worried about a cushion just flopping around though. Thoughts?
Posted By: DoeMaster

Re: Ditching the vest - 03/24/18 09:58 PM

I don't use a vest or a cushion. Personal preference I guess, don't like the bulk of a cushion when moving through thick stuff
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Ditching the vest - 03/24/18 09:59 PM

I use a Tom Teaser Quick Sack, which is similar to what you bought I think. The link below is the cushion I use. It has a snap system , you snap it up high and it rides on your hip when walking. I also have a 12oz water bottle made like a Yeti cup I have in a nylon pouch I wear on my belt too, holds ice for a couple days. I have a couple of velcro straps to strap a jacket to the strap on the bag. If it gets really warm I take off my undershirt, fold it up and put it in the bag. The bag and 6 pocket pants will tote more than you ever need. This set up is everything you need, light, fast and cool. Anyone who has hunted with me will tell ya , my Quick Sack, Seat Mate, water bottle combo is pretty slick. Vests are waaay too hot and heavy , IMO.

http://www.turkeyhuntingsecrets.com/store/store-cushions-comfortprodseatmate.htm

http://tomteasers.com/quicksack.html

Posted By: crenshawco

Re: Ditching the vest - 03/24/18 10:00 PM

Hope you receive yours. A lot of negative reviews on those folks and problems with them delivering paid for product
Posted By: Bamarich2

Re: Ditching the vest - 03/25/18 01:08 AM

There with you this spring... my bag came in to today and I packed it tonight. Was surprised how easily all my stuff went in - I actually have room left. Like you I'm going to be looking for the best alternative for a seat... except I'm going to want a self-supporting seat. BTW, I didn't like the orange on the front so I took a black sharpie and colored in it with black.
Posted By: Jstocks

Re: Ditching the vest - 03/25/18 03:00 AM

I don't have one, and I haven't held one, but there's a lady that makes and sells what is supposed to be the finest hunting satchel available. Here's her email. If not willing to spend $110 plus shipping, don't look. Hear tell this is as fine a product of its type available.

Glenda Green
GreensCCH@yahoo.com
Posted By: AU coonhunter

Re: Ditching the vest - 03/25/18 03:05 AM

I have one of Glenda’s satchels. I will try to get some pics tomorrow. It is very well made, and will last a long time. I still use my vest, but will carry the bag and gobbler lounger when the mood strikes. It also doubles as a blind bag for duck hunting.
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: Ditching the vest - 03/25/18 03:31 AM

This. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Allen-Folding-Turkey-Stool/55552306

I sling it over my head and left shoulder with gun over right shoulder. I've been ditching the vest this year myself. Between my pants and jacket I have enough pockets for box call, pot call, pruners, water and mag light.
Posted By: Tennessee_Lead

Re: Ditching the vest - 03/25/18 07:06 AM

I’m still using a vest but I would like a Brossi in the future.
I have no experience with this seat but have read several posts on various forums about this very topic.
The seat that seams to be the most popular and has the best reviews is called a Fat Boy cushion.
Hope this gives you some direction.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Ditching the vest - 03/25/18 11:46 AM

The super elite weighs next to nothing if you remove the seat. I always thought the seat was what made it bulky. I just took it off and then limit what I put in it. Things like mouth calls and gloves are no.issue in regards to weight, but it's hard for me to keep up with them if I don't have a pocket set aside for them. I keep my harvest record with a pen inside a plastic bag stuffed in an inside pocket. If I am hunting, I have on the vest.

I have cut back on what I carry and my vest weighs very little. I also carry a tiny flashlight that runs off a single AAA battery and a few extra shells.
Posted By: Out back

Re: Ditching the vest - 03/25/18 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by poorcountrypreacher
The super elite weighs next to nothing if you remove the seat. I always thought the seat was what made it bulky.

Thats the vest I have been using for about 10 years now.
I also removed the seat. I guess those cushioned seats are popular with the tender yuppie crowd.
Posted By: jbc

Re: Ditching the vest - 03/25/18 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Out back
The super elite weighs next to nothing if you remove the seat. I always thought the seat was what made it bulky.

I also removed the seat. I guess those cushioned seats are popular with the tender yuppie crowd.

I aspire to one day be so hardass that I enjoy sitting on tree roots for hours on end
Posted By: Phil_Army

Re: Ditching the vest - 03/25/18 06:31 PM

I bought a $20 fold-out turkey chair from walmart and just carry a $10 camo backpack anytime in the woods regardless of the season. They've fooled a lot of folks into thinking they need expensive hunting and fishing supplies over the years
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Ditching the vest - 03/25/18 06:54 PM

Outback just cuts a sapling off two foot high and sits on the stop!!!!!! Tough, tough, tough fella.
Posted By: Out back

Re: Ditching the vest - 03/25/18 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by jbc
Originally Posted by Out back

I aspire to one day be so hardass that I enjoy sitting on tree roots for hours on end

Hang in there. You might still become a man one day.
Posted By: ALMODUX

Re: Ditching the vest - 03/25/18 08:58 PM

Broken tailbones and hip and back issues mean I’ll always have a decent cushion or chair, and preferably a back rest of some sort, since there’s not always a tree where I need to flop out. Still, a bag suits me better than a vest, often.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM