Aldeer.com

Great News

Posted By: crenshawco

Great News - 02/21/18 05:08 PM

Timber company just showed up at the lease this morning to start cutting. sick I sure wish they would have done this during pine goat season. I guess I better start doing some public scouting
Posted By: James

Re: Great News - 02/21/18 05:32 PM

That sucks! They showed at ours at the end of January, fortunately they only cut 20 acres and left me with a nice little clear cut to hunt...
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: Great News - 02/21/18 07:07 PM

I feel your pain. They showed up,on our lease the day before gun deer season opened, stayed for 5 weeks tore up the roads and left. Only cut about half of what they are going to thin. Their contract runs out in mid April, so I figure they'll show up around opening day of turkey season to maximize our pain
Posted By: geeb1

Re: Great News - 02/21/18 11:53 PM

This usually happens to me.
Posted By: jbc

Re: Great News - 02/22/18 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by crenshawco
Timber company just showed up at the lease this morning to start cutting. sick I sure wish they would have done this during pine goat season. I guess I better start doing some public scouting

ive got a couple with your name on them 15 minutes from your house
Posted By: sj22

Re: Great News - 02/22/18 12:25 AM

Man that sux but I got a feeling you’ll still get it done, best of luck to ya
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Great News - 02/22/18 12:45 AM

Dilly dilly!!

Re: Great News - 02/22/18 02:57 AM

Sucks but I will figure something out. I've been reporting all my kills in Jackson county anyway, so maybe I'll go see what all y'all hillbillies are actually working with up there grin
Posted By: BrentM

Re: Great News - 02/22/18 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by crenshawco
Sucks but I will figure something out. I've been reporting all my kills in Jackson county anyway, so maybe I'll go see what all y'all hillbillies are actually working with up there grin

Ain’t no burned out pine tree thickets with little green patches set out in em up here son. You’re in the jungle now laugh
Posted By: n2deer

Re: Great News - 02/22/18 03:06 AM

If you have enough land they will stay. Saw blades make them sing. But I do hate the noise.
Posted By: turkey247

Re: Great News - 02/22/18 04:30 AM

How many acres? CC or thin? Do you know if it’s a “high production” type crew? Just for example - with good quota - there’s some crews that can run thru 15-25 acres a week, depending on a few parameters.

Seems like turkey react differently to logging from area to area. You never really know. I’ve seen some die within site of the crew, gobbling every time the cutter head buzzed a tree. But mostly, the logging noise makes it tough to hear what you need to hear.
Posted By: level5

Re: Great News - 02/22/18 10:44 PM

I went last weekend and they started on 200 acres that generally holds turkeys early in the season. Hopefully they will be done pretty quick. The 200 acres has been thinned twice, so maybe they will be gone.

Re: Great News - 02/22/18 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by turkey247
How many acres? CC or thin? Do you know if it’s a “high production” type crew? Just for example - with good quota - there’s some crews that can run thru 15-25 acres a week, depending on a few parameters.

Seems like turkey react differently to logging from area to area. You never really know. I’ve seen some die within site of the crew, gobbling every time the cutter head buzzed a tree. But mostly, the logging noise makes it tough to hear what you need to hear.

It's 600 acres 300 of which are Pines that are being cut. It is a select cut and the second or third thinning. I went out there today and they have made pretty good progress in 24 hours. I'm hoping that if they will get through with the south side of the property fairly quick and move on to the north. Hopefully then the birds will move back in pretty quick. It sure is pretty where they have gone through already
Posted By: dBmV

Re: Great News - 02/23/18 01:09 AM

I feel your pain. One of my places got clear cut first part of deer season and the cutters are gone now. They started cutting on my other place middle of January and say they'll be out first of April. Had real good turkey population the last couple of years but I'm getting way fewer pics lately. All the change has me worried they might have them run off.
Posted By: buckbrush

Re: Great News - 02/23/18 01:24 AM

Heck I had a great year with loggers cutting. Like N2deer said saw blades will make them sing.
Got to be a little patient tho. Had a few that I heard gobbling but when I got in certain spots couldn't hear them from the blades but they still came in.
Posted By: Mully

Re: Great News - 02/23/18 02:58 PM

The birds will be back quick. Those fresh thinned pines a TOUGH to hunt because it's so open and they can see so far.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM