Aldeer.com

Chufa production looks pretty good!

Posted By: North40R

Chufa production looks pretty good! - 08/26/17 09:46 AM

Pulled a cluster this morning to see where we were on growth. I like seeing mature tubers and small new growth still coming on the plants.

Posted By: Atoler

Re: Chufa production looks pretty good! - 08/26/17 10:09 AM

Looks good Hank, ours are about the same. I was worried with all the weed competition but they've produced well
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Chufa production looks pretty good! - 08/26/17 10:11 AM

Hank, those look great! how old were those plants?

Re: Chufa production looks pretty good! - 08/26/17 10:13 AM

Planted between July 10th and 15th so 42 to 47 days in the ground. I don't remember the exact date this particular field was planted.
Posted By: YEKRUT

Re: Chufa production looks pretty good! - 08/26/17 08:21 PM

Those fields looked good when you showed them to me last weekend. Ought to be a lot of happy turkeys soon.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Chufa production looks pretty good! - 08/27/17 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By: North40R
Planted between July 10th and 15th so 42 to 47 days in the ground. I don't remember the exact date this particular field was planted.

And yet all the literature says chufas require 90-110 days to produce tubers. Just proves you can't believe everything you read.

Looks like you are making a tremendous crop this year. Most of my fields are producing already too, and a big problem I've got now is that the turkeys are scratching them up long before they reach max production.

Re: Chufa production looks pretty good! - 08/27/17 10:06 PM

I was really surprised that I still had chufas in a couple of smaller 1/4 acre plots I planted. The turkeys were hitting them pretty hard right after planting but they looked really good last week.

And FINALLY after 7 years of trapping coons hard this is the first year that I haven't seen coons digging them up!
Posted By: Mully

Re: Chufa production looks pretty good! - 08/28/17 08:46 AM

Mine looked great until hogs appeared on our place and have destroyed them over the last two weeks. Two years ago there was a little hog sign in a chufa plot and on one road and we got a pic of a big boar but he only stayed around a short period of time but it appears some are back now. It pisses me off!

Re: Chufa production looks pretty good! - 08/28/17 09:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Mully
Mine looked great until hogs appeared on our place and have destroyed them over the last two weeks. Two years ago there was a little hog sign in a chufa plot and on one road and we got a pic of a big boar but he only stayed around a short period of time but it appears some are back now. It pisses me off!

That's something to be pissed off about!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM