Aldeer.com

Best clover for turkey

Posted By: woodleyrd

Best clover for turkey - 07/29/17 09:02 AM

New to planting plots for turkey. What is the best kind of clover and when is the best time to plant? This is a turkey only lease so my access is limited to non deer season. Other than clover and chufa what else is good to plant?
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Best clover for turkey - 07/29/17 09:03 AM

plant several varieties of clover to spread out the prime growing times.
Posted By: Bamaturkeykilla

Re: Best clover for turkey - 07/29/17 09:27 AM

They will annihilate crimson clover. I wish I had some old pics of when I cut some of the craws open. I don't know how they squeezed that much in there.
Posted By: Big Game Hunter

Re: Best clover for turkey - 07/29/17 10:00 AM

Crimson and arrow leaf is what I e always planted for them. The deer
Benefit from it too.
Posted By: Yelp softly

Re: Best clover for turkey - 07/29/17 12:03 PM

Fred gives some good advice. It's hard to argue with a mixture. The important thing to note is that clovers can be drastically different. Some are perennials and others are annuals. Some tolerate herbicides really well while others do not. Generally, the best time to plant about any species of clover is in the fall, but a lot of those species will not produce much until the following spring.

If you want a tough clover that will keep coming back year after year, Durana is hard to beat. This is a good option if you're looking for something that will grow without a lot of maintenance. Berseem clover is another good choice if you want something that will actually produce a decent amount in the fall when it's planted. I don't think it handles mowing or herbicide very well, but I only tried it one year.
Posted By: Honolua

Re: Best clover for turkey - 07/29/17 10:58 PM

Ladino works good
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Best clover for turkey - 07/30/17 06:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Big Game Hunter
Crimson and arrow leaf is what I e always planted for them. The deer
Benefit from it too.

That's the mix I've used for many years. I'm in one club where I add the clover right after the deer hunters plant their stuff.
Posted By: Turkeymaster

Re: Best clover for turkey - 07/31/17 09:22 AM

I'm all for crimson, it grows best during the spring and is usually done by may. proof is in the picture

Posted By: Thisldu

Re: Best clover for turkey - 08/03/17 10:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Honolua
Ladino works good

Mine like Ladino the best by far. It's not as hardy as the others though.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM