Aldeer.com

What's your go to call?

Posted By: crenshawco

What's your go to call? - 07/20/17 09:24 PM

I'm sitting around in the living room running some new pot calls tonight, and I figured this may be a good off season topic. What is your go to call?

Mine is a Clint Corder glass/slate in an Osage pot with a Stuckey Maccasar Ebony striker.

Posted By: mikewhandley

Re: What's your go to call? - 07/20/17 09:28 PM

Sweet call.

I love my houndstooth tomb bomb and my Ron Hewitt quad call. It is a two sided pot with slate on the main surface and a small crystal in the center of the back side. It allows me to get different pitched sounds out of the same call.
Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Re: What's your go to call? - 07/20/17 09:29 PM

Eh prob my hustlin hen
Posted By: Yelp softly

Re: What's your go to call? - 07/20/17 09:32 PM

The way I see it, either my calls are finicky or I'm finicky. Calls just seem to sound different on different days. It may be related to temperature or humidity but I'll sometimes cycle through a few before I hit one that sounds right and I'll keep running it a while. It's often one of the bat wing cuts from Woodhaven but some days Stony's Fatal Attraxion or the Straight Creek glass over slate sound the sweetest.
Posted By: Atoler

Re: What's your go to call? - 07/20/17 10:01 PM

I kill about 98% of my turkeys with a mouth call. Typically a houndstooth combo cut or batwing.

I was actually thinking about this the other day. I've never worked a bird to the gun with a box. Sometimes I strike them with one, but toss the mouthcall in after that. I've only killed a couple with a pushpin and a few more with a pot. Don't know why I bother carrying all that crap in my vest.
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: What's your go to call? - 07/20/17 10:23 PM

I've killed 0 birds in bama with a box. I've struck a few with one but I'm just not proficient enough with a box to finish the deal. Now merriams is a different story. Ive killed 9 merriams and all have been worked with a box
Posted By: Gobble4me757

Re: What's your go to call? - 07/20/17 10:58 PM

I used a box for the first time this year and was determined to kill one with it...Killed the first of the season with it!

Go to is my Houndstooth Vixen...pure turkey!
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: What's your go to call? - 07/20/17 11:59 PM

Reynolds slate over aluminum or hunters addiction mouth call. That reynolds is a fine call
Posted By: sj22

Re: What's your go to call? - 07/21/17 05:42 AM

Hunters addiction yellow heart crystal
Posted By: mr.clif

Re: What's your go to call? - 07/21/17 06:53 AM

Batwing or combo cut mouth call. Hooks, Swamp boys and Sadler Mcgraw's are my favorite
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: What's your go to call? - 07/21/17 07:45 AM

first edition Bham Lynch Foolproof box.
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: What's your go to call? - 07/21/17 08:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Atoler
I've never worked a bird to the gun with a box. Sometimes I strike them with one, but toss the mouthcall in after that.

99% of the time these days, this is exactly how I kill my birds; I've found that my boxes can get one worked up enough that I don't even need to call anymore (mouth, box, or anything else)... I put my mouth call in "just in case" I need to direct the bird a bit better into the kill position...
Posted By: 3toe

Re: What's your go to call? - 07/21/17 08:36 AM

Whichever one he likes. I've called to him with a box, nothing. Switch to a mouth call, nothing. Switch to a crystal, boom! Here he comes. And this has work vice versa as well.

Sometimes it just depends on what he wants to hear that particular moment in time.
Posted By: n2deer

Re: What's your go to call? - 07/21/17 02:02 PM

Im not really certain I have a go to call anymore. I usually use a box or mouth call now. I have cycled alot of calls the last few years.

The only thing the same thats been in my vest over time has been one of stonys glass calls and a glass over aluminum Call girl by Steve Reeves. But have gotten out of the habit of using slates the last few years.
Posted By: dBmV

Re: What's your go to call? - 07/21/17 08:35 PM

I don't have a "go to". I guess because I haven't been doing it long enough. I did kill one each with a box, a slate and a glass this year. The only reason I used the box was because the arthritis in my hand was giving me fits that morning and I was having trouble holding the striker.
Posted By: blade

Re: What's your go to call? - 07/21/17 08:46 PM

Old lynch foolproof
Posted By: Gobl4me

Re: What's your go to call? - 07/21/17 08:49 PM

I use assorted mouth calls. I really like the green will primos signature call that was $3 at wal-mart.
Posted By: HToothgamecalls

Re: What's your go to call? - 07/21/17 10:34 PM

I use my blue batwing or my all pro 3 reed that I make they just fit my calling. From soft calling to aggressive and I feel like if he is out there I can strike him! Plus never leave home with out my Walnut Aluminum! ~LG
Posted By: AC870

Re: What's your go to call? - 07/22/17 08:18 AM

I love running a slate. My old Perfection glass call is a favorite and so is the newer Magnolia Game Calls walnut slate with the olive wood striker.
Dayum, I need to get serious about finding some turkeys next year...
Posted By: Yelp softly

Re: What's your go to call? - 07/22/17 09:44 PM

Originally Posted By: AC870
... I need to get serious about finding some turkeys next year...

No you don't. Somebody else will be willing to find them in your absence.
Posted By: teamduckdown

Re: What's your go to call? - 07/22/17 11:01 PM

Some type of mouth call. Got several I like. Killed a handful with a box or slate, but probably 80% with a mouth call. Started making my own this year, and ended my season using them. So i figure they'll be my go to from now on most likely.
Posted By: top cat

Re: What's your go to call? - 07/23/17 01:20 PM

If I could only carry one it would be a mouth call.
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: What's your go to call? - 07/23/17 07:54 PM

Mouth call.
Posted By: Turkeyboy

Re: What's your go to call? - 07/23/17 08:24 PM

First hour box call, handmade or Lynch. Thereafter, slate or mouthcall.
Posted By: Hevishot13

Re: What's your go to call? - 07/23/17 11:14 PM

I carry a bunch but the two I pull out of my vest the most, whether it be to finish a bird, or when times get tuff and I'm trying to make something happen are my Cody woodsman and my Cody woodsman drop dead slates. I've killed more birds with those calls than with any other call I've ever used. I had so much confidence in those calls.
Posted By: Brent

Re: What's your go to call? - 07/24/17 01:37 AM

Houndstooth All Pro mouth call or Houndstooth Crystal.
Posted By: Geno

Re: What's your go to call? - 07/24/17 03:21 PM

Corn seems to work pretty well.
Posted By: YEKRUT

Re: What's your go to call? - 07/24/17 04:50 PM

I know this guy that makes a mouth call I like, I generally use one of his.
Posted By: Daggerz

Re: What's your go to call? - 07/24/17 06:09 PM

Originally Posted By: YEKRUT

I know him too; product is good, but the owner of the company is questionable, at best!
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: What's your go to call? - 07/24/17 07:40 PM

Pump action yelper
Posted By: YEKRUT

Re: What's your go to call? - 07/24/17 09:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Daggerz

Originally Posted By: YEKRUT

I know him too; product is good, but the owner of the company is questionable, at best!

I would agree on the questionable part!
Posted By: Turkeymaster

Re: What's your go to call? - 07/25/17 08:58 AM

all pro three reed, and my cody calls wild turkey whiskey barrel pot call
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: What's your go to call? - 07/25/17 11:31 AM

If I used nothing but a Fatal Attraxion Red I'd probably kill the same number of turkeys. I could probably say the same about a Hatchet Creek Screaming Green.
Posted By: BrentM

Re: What's your go to call? - 07/25/17 01:40 PM

The more I fool with em I've bout decided that my go to call is taking my diaphragm out of my mouth and putting it back in my shirt pocket.
Posted By: BC_Reb

Re: What's your go to call? - 07/27/17 01:39 PM

I like a few of whatever Yek's envelope had in it. I'm also a big fan of HT's Tom bomb, though I've found they take a little while to "warm up." I carry 3 of that model every hunt just in case I drop one. I use a primos heartbreaker for striking birds later in day/morning. That box call has killed a pile of birds for me, I've had it since I was 6 years old. I've never been much of a pot caller, but the ones posted on here look super nice!
Posted By: Deerslyer86

Re: What's your go to call? - 07/28/17 10:30 PM

My crystal over Glass
Posted By: hyco

Re: What's your go to call? - 07/30/17 10:43 PM

Stony's glass and houndstooth Dixie hen
Posted By: davisd9

Re: What's your go to call? - 08/01/17 08:41 AM

© 2024 ALDEER.COM