Aldeer.com

Poults seen!

Posted By: BOFF

Poults seen! - 06/11/17 06:39 PM

Checking on the clover fields to see what needed to be bush hogged. Almost ran over a hen as she squacked out from the from of the Polaris Ranger. Was riding slow and it about scared the poo out of me.

I haven't ever heard a hen make the calls she was doing to her babies, or the sound she made as she came out from the front of the Ranger. Makes me think I may have ran over her.

Counted 8 poults around 6" high.

Slowly backed out and left them.

God Bless,
David B.
Posted By: Sulli

Re: Poults seen! - 06/12/17 01:47 PM

I saw a few fly on June 3. Hen was in the edge of the woods and took off as I drove by then little ones started pitching up. Beautiful sight!!!! BtwTW, First poults were seen the first weekend in May
Posted By: WMEC615

Re: Poults seen! - 06/13/17 08:42 AM

Saw a Hen with 8 Saturday on our property in Dekalb County, they where a little bigger than a quail.
Posted By: bama_boy

Re: Poults seen! - 06/14/17 12:52 AM

Saw hens with poults do that when I walk up on them I think they are trying to distract while the poults run away or something
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: Poults seen! - 06/14/17 02:35 PM

Saw some a little while ago on my lease. Several hens and poults that were about the size of a bantam chicken
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Poults seen! - 06/22/17 10:49 AM

I just saw a hen with 10-12 poults about the size of quail. They were moving fast on the ground and I would think they can fly, but I was careful not to disturb them. Rain has slowed to a drizzle now, but it has been pouring down all morning.

These poults had to have hatched during a time of a lot of rain, and have seen a lot of rain during their short lives. But it looks like the whole clutch has survived and even thrived during a time of unusually wet weather.

It makes me really question the commonly believed idea that wet weather spells doom for poults.
Posted By: Turkeymaster

Re: Poults seen! - 06/22/17 10:59 AM

Originally Posted By: poorcountrypreacher
I just saw a hen with 10-12 poults about the size of quail. They were moving fast on the ground and I would think they can fly, but I was careful not to disturb them. Rain has slowed to a drizzle now, but it has been pouring down all morning.

These poults had to have hatched during a time of a lot of rain, and have seen a lot of rain during their short lives. But it looks like the whole clutch has survived and even thrived during a time of unusually wet weather.

It makes me really question the commonly believed idea that wet weather spells doom for poults.

I think its different on every piece of property, some flooded worse than others
© 2024 ALDEER.COM