Aldeer.com

Hunting Planted Fields

Posted By: wew3006

Hunting Planted Fields - 05/31/17 08:34 AM

If you are hunting a property that does off season supplemental feeding planting their fields in spring; is it a "baiting" problem hunting on or near the freshly sown fields?
Posted By: Yelp softly

Re: Hunting Planted Fields - 05/31/17 08:47 AM

I can't think of any spring plantings that are acceptable for top sowing, so I'm assuming you are referencing seed that has been placed in the ground and covered with soil. It shouldn't be a problem. Normal agricultural practice.

Re: Hunting Planted Fields - 05/31/17 08:50 AM

Kinda what I thought; the fields did attract birds
Posted By: NEbamahunter

Re: Hunting Planted Fields - 05/31/17 12:25 PM

sounds like a good problem to have
Posted By: YEKRUT

Re: Hunting Planted Fields - 05/31/17 12:45 PM

What are they planting? I'm gonna get some plots ready for spring. smile

Re: Hunting Planted Fields - 05/31/17 01:02 PM

Originally Posted By: YEKRUT
What are they planting? I'm gonna get some plots ready for spring. smile

I was thinking the same thing and will find out; I was a guest at a property in Coosa county called Briarpatch.

Re: Hunting Planted Fields - 05/31/17 03:59 PM

I was told they were planting peas, wheat, corn and sunflowers.
Posted By: YEKRUT

Re: Hunting Planted Fields - 05/31/17 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: wew3006

"Plant" around the end of February and when they don't make it "plant" again the first week of march? smile
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: Hunting Planted Fields - 05/31/17 04:50 PM

Originally Posted By: YEKRUT

"Plant" around the end of February and when they don't make it "plant" again the first week of march? smile

I'd take that planting advice and run with it. thumbup

Dr. B
Posted By: n2deer

Re: Hunting Planted Fields - 05/31/17 05:20 PM

Had a "buddy" show up to hunt a turkey only lease one time and the land owner had top sown a wheat field.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Hunting Planted Fields - 05/31/17 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Yelp softly
I can't think of any spring plantings that are acceptable for top sowing, so I'm assuming you are referencing seed that has been placed in the ground and covered with soil. It shouldn't be a problem. Normal agricultural practice.

What about milo/grain sorghum? Tiny seed, warm season crop. I've top sowed it before with good results. Never hunted over the seed though.
Posted By: dBmV

Re: Hunting Planted Fields - 05/31/17 06:37 PM

According to my friendly neighborhood game warden, if it's not 100% covered and the field is not over one acre in size, it is bait and you will be ticketed.

Re: Hunting Planted Fields - 05/31/17 08:36 PM

Interesting; where do we find the one acre statute?
And, how far away is required by statute?
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Hunting Planted Fields - 05/31/17 08:53 PM

Originally Posted By: dBmV
According to my friendly neighborhood game warden, if it's not 100% covered and the field is not over one acre in size, it is bait and you will be ticketed.

Sounds like an ass hole. I'm in Lee county did you speak with a he or she gw?

Re: Hunting Planted Fields - 05/31/17 09:07 PM

Interesting; where do we find the one acre statute?
And, how far away is required by statute?

The one acre part is a complete fabrication. Funny when they do that, but not cool.

I bet 80% of food plots are under and acre.
Posted By: Yelp softly

Re: Hunting Planted Fields - 05/31/17 09:52 PM

IMO, it would need to follow recommended agricultural practice. Planting peas or corn in February would likely be illegal as that's not recommended. April could be a different story entirely.
Posted By: Avengedsevenfold

Re: Hunting Planted Fields - 06/01/17 02:35 PM

Lot of corn planted in March in AL...

Wheat can be top sown literally any time

Re: Hunting Planted Fields - 06/01/17 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Avengedsevenfold

Yeah, but no legitimate farmer top sows wheat in March. That's what makes it "illegal" to hunt over.

Re: Hunting Planted Fields - 06/02/17 05:06 AM

Originally Posted By: jlbuc10

Sounds like an ass hole. I'm in Lee county did you speak with a he or she gw?

HE is. He is the same one who has been discussed in this forum before for questionable ticketing. From what I've seen he likes to "interpret" things in his own way. Some people love him, some people hate him, I just don't trust him so I don't push it.
Posted By: Avengedsevenfold

Re: Hunting Planted Fields - 06/02/17 04:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Remington270

Yeah, but no legitimate farmer top sows wheat in March. That's what makes it "illegal" to hunt over.

I'm totally not trying to be a smartass...but if I had a field that I had burned down in order to plant corn or something and then decided not to plant corn for whatever reason...and had a load of wheat sitting in the barn and then decided to top sow the field with wheat to cut for hay..can a GW (who isn't a farmer) really tell me what I'm doing isn't "legitimate" and give me a ticket for hunting over a "baited" field that is really and truly planted in a crop?

Re: Hunting Planted Fields - 06/02/17 04:36 PM

Short answer, yes
Posted By: bayouturkey

Re: Hunting Planted Fields - 06/02/17 06:48 PM

How is it up to him how big a field should be before normal agricultural practices come into play? Sounds like he needs a healthy dose of sticking it square up his ass. And rotating...
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Hunting Planted Fields - 06/05/17 06:24 AM

April 15th is considered the last frost date by most, i don't plant any spring plantings before then. You can plant anything whenever you like and plant it any way you like, you just can't hunt over it, legally.

Re: Hunting Planted Fields - 06/05/17 09:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Remington270

I'm totally not trying to be a smartass...but if I had a field that I had burned down in order to plant corn or something and then decided not to plant corn for whatever reason...and had a load of wheat sitting in the barn and then decided to top sow the field with wheat to cut for hay..can a GW (who isn't a farmer) really tell me what I'm doing isn't "legitimate" and give me a ticket for hunting over a "baited" field that is really and truly planted in a crop?

Yes, he can. He can't tell you how to be a farmer, but when you're hunting over it there's a standard operating procedure.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM