Aldeer.com

Turkey Vest issues

Posted By: soalaturkeys

Turkey Vest issues - 05/09/17 05:48 PM

The first of the season, there was a thread about turkey vests and which one folks liked best. A lot of people said they liked the Mossy Oak Super Elite II, and I looked it up and it looked great. I needed a new vest (wanted one?) so I ordered it, the thing arrived before the season started, I thought it had a lot of good features. Some not so good after using a while, which I won't get into, but bottom line, the shell-holder band stitching came loose like the 2nd time I used it, and the last day of the season as I was shouldering my shotgun, I barely caught one of the clips holding the seat up, and it ripped out!! Good news is I contacted Mossy Oak and they immediately got in touch and are sending a "repaired" vest and information on sending mine back to them. Seems like they had some issues with these vests. Anyone else have issues with their Super Elite II??
Posted By: foldemup

Re: Turkey Vest issues - 05/09/17 06:04 PM

Yep, all of the mossy oak stuff is crap! Especially the tibbee pants, buttons on all their clothing, whatever their camo dye method is, and that vest. My seat ripped totally off my vest within 2 weeks. Save you some time....I bought the cotton ole Tom vest that looks like the super elite and it tore up on the second day of use. I don't understand how stitching can be as chitty as that stuff is.
Posted By: Hevishot13

Re: Turkey Vest issues - 05/09/17 06:26 PM

Never used the super elite 2. I have two super elite 3s and wouldn't trade em for nothing. I've used one of them for almost ten years of very hard abuse and it's held up fine. But the 3s were made by Russel outdoors
Posted By: weagleweagle

Re: Turkey Vest issues - 05/09/17 08:08 PM

Man I bought the same vest this year in bottomland and the elastic shell holder did the same thing, also the zipper for the pocket with the shell holder is broken. How did you go about contacting them?
Posted By: Jmxinc

Re: Turkey Vest issues - 05/09/17 08:27 PM

I m like hevi shot I have had the one made by Russell for 12 years
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: Turkey Vest issues - 05/09/17 08:58 PM

Damn. Y'all hard on some vests. I've got the SE3 and I put 25+days/year in the woods and the only problem I've had with mine is it hasn't had as much blood on it as I wanted. I'm on my 4th season and I love it. I bought it because the seat was the thickest I could find for my bony butt.

Dr. B
Posted By: BC

Re: Turkey Vest issues - 05/10/17 05:25 AM

I bought the new Alps Bottomland vest this season and loved it. Had to take the kickstand frame out of it before I liked it but I really enjoyed it this season.
Posted By: weagleweagle

Re: Turkey Vest issues - 05/10/17 06:09 AM

I had the super elite 3 for probably 6 years and had good luck with until the zipper for the seat cushion broke and would no longer stay attached. I wanted a vest in bottomland so I ordered the super elite 2 thinking it would be about the same. BC I saw the alps vest that came out this year recently, tempted to just buy one of those in bottomland and be done with it but seems like they hard to find right now.
Posted By: turkey247

Re: Turkey Vest issues - 05/10/17 07:48 AM

Had a Bucklick Creek vest for years with very few problems. And I can be tough on clothes and equipment. I don't understand why they are not more popular. For the way I hunt, it's nearly the perfect vest.

Re: Turkey Vest issues - 05/10/17 08:18 AM

Originally Posted By: weagleweagle
Man I bought the same vest this year in bottomland and the elastic shell holder did the same thing, also the zipper for the pocket with the shell holder is broken. How did you go about contacting them?
store@mossyoak.com or call 662.494.9092. They were nice, and admitted they had had problems like mine with the vest.
Posted By: NEbamahunter

Re: Turkey Vest issues - 05/10/17 10:04 AM

I've used several vests over the years but bought one of those ALPS grand slams on sale for less than half price right before season... loved it. I actually removed the frame but should have left it in for TX (and will do so in the future) but great storage capacity, tough, easy-to-reach zippers, plenty of pockets, 2 easy-to-access water bottle pouches and set up for hydro pack. Glad to hear your review as I was planning to buy that same vest before I saw this one go on sale.
Posted By: sj22

Re: Turkey Vest issues - 05/10/17 11:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Jmxinc
I m like hevi shot I have had the one made by Russell for 12 years

That's wat I got too and I'm on year 7, no issues but I've heard bad things about the newer ones
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Turkey Vest issues - 05/10/17 11:12 AM

Here's the vest alternative. No vest for me waaaaaay toooooo hot. frown

http://www.tomteasers.com/quicksack.html

Re: Turkey Vest issues - 05/10/17 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: bamaeyedoc
Damn. Y'all hard on some vests. I've got the SE3 and I put 25+days/year in the woods and the only problem I've had with mine is it hasn't had as much blood on it as I wanted. I'm on my 4th season and I love it. I bought it because the seat was the thickest I could find for my bony butt.

Dr. B
lol grin Seriously, Doc, I put shells in the shell holder band the second day I used the vest and noticed they had fallen out at the end of the day. The dang stitching had all come loose! And the clip holding the seat, heck, I barely pulled on it when my gun sling caught on it, and that sucker popped out!! I do like the thick seat, however. The cheap crappy zippers and snaps, not so much...
Posted By: jake44

Re: Turkey Vest issues - 05/10/17 04:05 PM

Bought a super elite 2 vest as well in Greenleaf, and the 2nd time I used it the zipper to shell holder pocket broke, may fix it myself, don't know if I can send vest back to them, the seat is blood stained and smells like death!!
Posted By: wareagle22

Re: Turkey Vest issues - 05/10/17 05:32 PM

Originally Posted By: 2Dogs

This is what I use as well. I love mine. Plenty of room in it and it's not hot like a vest.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Turkey Vest issues - 05/10/17 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By: wareagle22
Originally Posted By: 2Dogs

This is what I use as well. I love mine. Plenty of room in it and it's not hot like a vest.

thumbup Brent M has now gone vestless and uses a Quick Sack also. I use one of these cushions too, good combo, cool ,light and fast.

http://www.huntingcomfort.com/en/store/product/view/1/3
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: Turkey Vest issues - 05/10/17 06:22 PM

I'll echo what everyone else has said. The Russell outdoors super elite vest is not even comparable to the pieces of junk mossy oak is putting out now. In one season of use the super elite 3 has had a zipper rip, the front pocket is pulling apart at the corner, and one of the buckles broke off of the seat. They suck. I love the mossy oak patterns but I'm done buying camo from the mossy oak store.
Posted By: Hevishot13

Re: Turkey Vest issues - 05/10/17 07:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Southwood7
I'll echo what everyone else has said. The Russell outdoors super elite vest is not even comparable to the pieces of junk mossy oak is putting out now. In one season of use the super elite 3 has had a zipper rip, the front pocket is pulling apart at the corner, and one of the buckles broke off of the seat. They suck. I love the mossy oak patterns but I'm done buying camo from the mossy oak store.
you mean the the super elite two sucks Matt.
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: Turkey Vest issues - 05/10/17 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Hevishot13
Originally Posted By: Southwood7
you mean the the super elite two sucks Matt.

My bad! That's what I meant to say.
Posted By: Sulli

Re: Turkey Vest issues - 05/11/17 11:42 AM

I went through 2 of those this spring with the same issues as everyone else. I had been using the old se3 for the last 10 years or so but finally wore it out. I ended up getting a cabelas tactical tatr' 2 and it held up well so far

Re: Turkey Vest issues - 05/16/17 11:21 AM

Update: So, yesterday I got home from work and there was a cardboard box on my front porch. Ah, the turkey vest! Opened the box, unzipped the shell pouch, and I'll be damned, the shell holder stitching is nonexistent on one side. mad I'm sending this "new" vest and the old one back and telling them to try again, but based on the comments above, plus my problems, I bought a crappy vest. I tried to find a Russell SE 3 online, but no luck...
Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Re: Turkey Vest issues - 05/16/17 12:48 PM

Originally Posted By: foldemup
Yep, all of the mossy oak stuff is crap! Especially the tibbee pants, buttons on all their clothing, whatever their camo dye method is, and that vest. My seat ripped totally off my vest within 2 weeks. Save you some time....I bought the cotton ole Tom vest that looks like the super elite and it tore up on the second day of use. I don't understand how stitching can be as chitty as that stuff is.
They're obviously in the business of selling mediocre products at best...not making a really quality product. They've got their name and camo patterns to cruise off of. Quality is just not priority. I've got a mossy oak vest that's two seasons of hunting hard and i've got a couple holes here and there and one of the zippers on the pot call pouch broke.

I bought one of those thick insulated camo jackets for around the $60 neighborhood and as soon as I put my hands in the pockets the stitching started ripping.
Posted By: CKyleC

Re: Turkey Vest issues - 05/16/17 10:32 PM

Originally Posted By: soalaturkeys
The first of the season, there was a thread about turkey vests and which one folks liked best. A lot of people said they liked the Mossy Oak Super Elite II, and I looked it up and it looked great. I needed a new vest (wanted one?) so I ordered it, the thing arrived before the season started, I thought it had a lot of good features. Some not so good after using a while, which I won't get into, but bottom line, the shell-holder band stitching came loose like the 2nd time I used it, and the last day of the season as I was shouldering my shotgun, I barely caught one of the clips holding the seat up, and it ripped out!! Good news is I contacted Mossy Oak and they immediately got in touch and are sending a "repaired" vest and information on sending mine back to them. Seems like they had some issues with these vests. Anyone else have issues with their Super Elite II??

I just saw this thread. I bought one at the convention. I had zippers separating from the fabric after 3 hunts and my seat was no longer connected after 10. I may or may not contact them. I'm not sure I want another one
Posted By: TurkeyJoe

Re: Turkey Vest issues - 05/17/17 05:59 AM

I bought a se II from the mossy oak store in foley. Same story as y'all, didn't last a season.
Posted By: teamduckdown

Re: Turkey Vest issues - 05/17/17 08:27 PM

Wore a Super Elite II (by russell) for 3 yrs. As yal know i put alot of time on one & it help up great but eventually faded. So last summer I bought a brand new Super Elite 3 and it started falling apart while i was putting my gear into it. I got extremely lucky and found one of the original NWTF Super Elites in mint condition in Original Green Lead on Facebook for sale. Snatched it up and haven't looked back. Absolutely love it.
Posted By: RKM4

Re: Turkey Vest issues - 05/17/17 11:17 PM

Like many of you I have gone through my share of turkey vests. At the end of the '2016 season, I purchased a Knight's hands free vest. Although not cheap, it is a quality product, very adjustable and is not as hot as the SE. I would recommend taking a look at it; because after using it this season, it is the first time that I can remember being satisfied with the functionality of a vest when the season was over.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM