Aldeer.com

Anybody plant chufa in rows?

Posted By: SharpSpur

Anybody plant chufa in rows? - 05/09/17 08:32 AM

My FIL has a Massy Ferguson #39 two row planter and I'm considering it this year if I can find peanut plates. Was wondering if there's enough benefit to cultivating the rows vs just spraying a broadcast field. Little over 2 acres btw. New ground also...

The plan is to burn it with Gly soon (like this week), cut(disc) it once this month, disc again and plant and PREemerg it mid June, then cultivate the rows after around 3-6" of chufa growth. possibly hit them again if necessary later as well.

Thanks
Posted By: NEbamahunter

Re: Anybody plant chufa in rows? - 05/09/17 08:37 AM

Sorry, can't help but curious to reponses... I'm burning up the search feature here on Aldeer because I finally got in my chufa order from NTWF
Posted By: Mully

Re: Anybody plant chufa in rows? - 05/09/17 08:45 AM

We planted them in rows last year and had a pretty chitty crop. I cant tell you if it was the rows or the weather that caused it but I will go back to broadcasting them this year.
Posted By: Squeaky

Re: Anybody plant chufa in rows? - 05/09/17 09:08 AM

I planted in rows with a 7' no-till drill last year. This chufa plot did okay but would have done excellent if not for the drought. I made enough chufa in the 3 ac plot to hold my birds all spring.
Posted By: Turkeymaster

Re: Anybody plant chufa in rows? - 05/09/17 09:48 AM

planted mine with an old 2 row planter and just used the corn plates, i did try and take the great big chufas that i could see out before i started planting. mine did great until the dang coons got to them
Posted By: jacannon

Re: Anybody plant chufa in rows? - 05/09/17 10:41 AM

Planting in rows takes less seed, but makes it easier for a coon to go right down the row and eat every seed. I hate coons.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Anybody plant chufa in rows? - 05/09/17 12:24 PM

Your plan will work very well if you get the rain. Since it is new ground, I doubt you even need a pre herbicide. Plow them twice, add 100 lbs 33-0-0 before the 2nd plowing, and your turkeys will be very happy. I would always plant in rows if I had a decent planter. Mine is junk and I finally gave up on it,but I made my best chufas planting in rows.

Covington makes a chufa plate if that will fit yours. I used a corn plate but I filed them a lot to make the holes bigger. Good luck!
Posted By: oldbowhunter

Re: Anybody plant chufa in rows? - 05/12/17 06:37 PM

I planted chufa in rows last year. They did well.

We are out of new ground and we are fighting weeds.

The cultivator did the trick.
Posted By: SharpSpur

Re: Anybody plant chufa in rows? - 06/06/17 09:57 AM

Thanks for the input. Gonna bump this thread and ask about coons running rows? Anybody got a tip on how to prevent/limit this?

I read on one site to pile up corn 100 yards or more away to give them easy pickings until the chufa is up? Any other tips or ideas. I've also got a heck of a crow population so help with this is welcome too!
Posted By: Yelp softly

Re: Anybody plant chufa in rows? - 06/06/17 10:05 AM

If you live close enough to check them frequently, I'd use dog proof coon traps and get rid of them for good.
Posted By: North40R

Re: Anybody plant chufa in rows? - 06/06/17 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Yelp softly
If you live close enough to check them frequently, I'd use dog proof coon traps and get rid of them for good.

Exactly!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM